PDA

View Full Version : Mass vs. Definition

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi all,

I want to concentrate on building chest mass, size. Right now I'm doing 4 sets, with 10, 8, 8, 8 reps.

Should I jump up in weight and drop the sets to 3 with 8, 6, 6, 6 reps if I want to gain mass?

This applies to the basic exercises, bench press, incline press, dumbbell flies, etc.

Thanks!

-=FLEX=-
02-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Try it and see if it works for you. I do a 6 x 6 on most of those lifts.

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Try it and see if it works for you. I do a 6 x 6 on most of those lifts.

Sorry, I miss typed, I meant 3 sets with 8, 6, 6 reps.

What do you mean by 6 x 6? 6 sets with 6 reps each, with heavy weight?

-=FLEX=-
02-04-2012, 08:58 AM
What do you mean by 6 x 6? 6 sets with 6 reps each, with heavy weight?

Correct. On most of the major lifts, anyway, except squats and deads. Squats and deads I do a lot of singles and triples. Some auxilliary movements I will do higher reps.

Here's my current split and target rep range:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123125213&p=821478341&viewfull=1#post821478341

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Okay, thanks for the info. Is 6 sets high or is that normal, I thought for heavy weight you should stick to 3-4 sets, but I've been out of the game awhile.

Also, what do you think is a fair amount of time to realistically see results? I'm thinking 4 weeks?

-=FLEX=-
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Okay, thanks for the info. Is 6 sets high or is that normal, I thought for heavy weight you should stick to 3-4 sets, but I've been out of the game awhile.

Also, what do you think is a fair amount of time to realistically see results? I'm thinking 4 weeks?

I don't know if it's normal or not, but it's what I do; that was my point. Try different set/rep ranges and see what works.

Results typically occur over months and even years, rather than weeks, unless you are just starting.

The most important thing is consistency. Fussing over the number of sets/reps is less important than proper nutrition and lifting regularly for an extended period of time.

If you're new to this, then it doesn't really matter much what you do, as long as you do it consistently. Don't get bogged down in the (largely irrelevant) details.

80/20 rule applies.

ironwill2008
02-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I came into this thread to post ^^^^ this, exactly.

Post #6 is your defining answer, OP.

ArchAngel'73
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Although mass can be accomplished many different ways I do not believe sets of 6 is the most efficient way.

I'm going to spin you in a different direction.
Hypertrophy training coupled with progressive overload.
Hypertrophy training activates more muscle fibers than strength training, and furthermore, it activates the right muscle fibers for your goals.
You mentioned nothing about being strong and you do not need to be strong to have muscle mass but there is a correlation, hence the progressive overload.
You need to tear down the muscle fiber and rebuild it with rest and food. Muscle adapts to stress loads and people generally have more endurance fibers than strength fibers so it makes sense that if you want to build mass, concentrate on the endurance fibers and let the strength ones keep pace with the progressive added loads with hypertrophy training.
Rep ranges for hypertrophy training are generally 8-12.

You can also get the best of both worlds by following something like Layne Norton's PHAT program , search for it right here on bb.com.

I do not mean to stir the sh*t pot with my stronger brethren here but there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and I'm offering a few different options.

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
My question about the time frame wasn't in reference to when I should see the final outcome, I know it takes months/years. I meant more in the sense that after XX weeks if I don't see this or that, that I need to reconsider my plan.

flat6nut
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm going to spin you in a different direction.
Hypertrophy training coupled with progressive overload.
Hypertrophy training activates more muscle fibers than strength training, and furthermore, it activates the right muscle fibers for your goals.
You mentioned nothing about being strong and you do not need to be strong to have muscle mass but there is a correlation, hence the progressive overload.
You need to tear down the muscle fiber and rebuild it with rest and food. Muscle adapts to stress loads and people generally have more endurance fibers than strength fibers so it makes sense that if you want to build mass, concentrate on the endurance fibers and let the strength ones keep pace with the progressive added loads with hypertrophy training.
Rep ranges for hypertrophy training are generally 8-12.

This all day! I also prefer 5 to 6 working sets at these rep ranges.

ironwill2008
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
My question about the time frame wasn't in reference to when I should see the final outcome, I know it takes months/years. I meant more in the sense that after XX weeks if I don't see this or that, that I need to reconsider my plan.

A good rule of thumb is to stick with one method/scheme/whatever for at least 6-8 weeks before you make any judgement as to whether or not to make any changes. If you constantly jump from one thing to the next, you'll never get a handle on what works best for you, and you'll only wind up chasing your tail.

And ArchAngel'73's comment about more than 1 way to skin a cat is entirely true. If there's anything I've learned in following 40+ journals over the last 4 years here is that many different methods will yield solid results, the main determinant being not necessarily the sets/reps/exercises involved, but rather the level of committment and effort expended to whatever the scheme chosen.

As to 'final outcome,' I have no idea where that resides; I'm still working my way towards it after 18 years. I'm planning to keep up the quest for at least another 18.

OutOfStep
02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
If you want size then stay in the 8-12 rep range.

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the great replies.

I'll shoot for 6x6 for a couple months and see where that leaves me.

Thanks again.

IronCharles
02-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Should I jump up in weight and drop the sets to 3 with 8, 6, 6, 6 reps if I want to gain mass?
If you'd have said, "gain strength", I would be more inclined to agree with you. 6 rep sets are more often found in power training routines, than hypertrophy programs. As Brian and Rob and Michael said, the 8-12 rep range has been proven to be historically the most effective plan for gaining size.

Tommy W.
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
You need heavy days, medium heavy days and lighter days. Rep scheme changes with shorter rest periods the lighter you go. You want to mix all of these up and not stick to one rep|weight range.

flat6nut
02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.

I'll shoot for 6x6 for a couple months and see where that leaves me.

Thanks again.

lmao...why ask a question just to ignore the advice?

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
lmao...why ask a question just to ignore the advice?

What am I ignoring?

One of the earlier replies was a 6x6 approach, and many agreed.

But while I posted my last reply, some are suggesting 8-12 reps, so now I'm more confused.

flat6nut
02-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Flex was the only one who said he did 6x6, but he also stated what works for one may not work for all. Think everyone else pretty much agreed that 8-12 range is best for mass. Re-read AA's reply in post #8.

Good luck with what you choose.

Old-Time-Lifter
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
If you want size then stay in the 8-12 rep range.

Though some muscles respond better to even higher rep ranges. For me I use from 25-5 reps depending on the movement and bodypart. I also like to do one movement heavier 7ish reps and one movement lighter 12ish reps for the some bodypart in the same workout. Most of the time I'm shooting for 10 reps but right now I go to failure on almost all sets.

I also only do 3-4 sets per movement generally no more than 8 sets per bodypart per workout for isolation movements.

billrich210
02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
If 6X6 works.....roll with it. If 5X12 works...................

jcbuche
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Flex was the only one who said he did 6x6, but he also stated what works for one may not work for all. Think everyone else pretty much agreed that 8-12 range is best for mass. Re-read AA's reply in post #8.

Good luck with what you choose.

Then I should probably stick with I'm currently doing, 4 sets, with 10, 8, 8, 8 reps, but bump up on the sets and reps. Which means I can't increase weight, may have to even reduce it a little. I wanted that mental boost of pushing more LB's, but I guess it's a progress, I'll get there eventually.

x-trainer ben
02-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Then I should probably stick with I'm currently doing, 4 sets, with 10, 8, 8, 8 reps, but bump up on the sets and reps. Which means I can't increase weight, may have to even reduce it a little. I wanted that mental boost of pushing more LB's, but I guess it's a progress, I'll get there eventually.

The correct answer is 7.75 reps per set( joking), but you can see that picking an exact number is silly. Try Flex's 6 for a while(month) and then try the (8-12 range) and see which range gives you the best results. We all respond a little differently. Good luck!

Medtreker
02-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

I want to concentrate on building chest mass, size. Right now I'm doing 4 sets, with 10, 8, 8, 8 reps.

This applies to the basic exercises, bench press, incline press, dumbbell flies, etc.

Thanks!

If you're beginning, then mass equals definition, ie: muscle mass equals defenition. The more muscle you gain in chest, the more defined it will be. Excluding other types of mass, fluids, fat, ect.

So, if you're new, progress your bench weight, for example, your chest goes from flat to rounded. Keep the diet "clean" and your good to go. Any routine that grows you will work, virtually anything. Good luck.

Corbi
02-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Then I should probably stick with I'm currently doing, 4 sets, with 10, 8, 8, 8 reps, but bump up on the sets and reps.

Do you even look at what you are typing? You say you should stick with what you are doing but then in the same sentence menton bumping up both sets and reps.

massivefukinfacepalm