PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a squat rack but need a safety. Any ideas on the cheap?

zedx
02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi. I want to set the squat rack up in my house. I have weight in the air on stands. I just don't want to get stuck at the bottom. Any ideas fairly cheap to use as a safety?

-=FLEX=-
02-04-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a squat rack in my garage. No safeties. Learn how to dump the bar.

AugustusMcCrae
02-04-2012, 07:28 AM

This ^^^^
Just get a rubber stall mat to cover your floor for padding.
The other alternative is to dont go so heavy that you need to dump it.

boathead
02-04-2012, 07:30 AM
work horses ftw.

MecGen
02-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I saw a post a while back some through together some safeties made from 2X4s....

regards

Nikonguy
02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Just call your mom

1aMvoaFCMCI

Old-Time-Lifter
02-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Look on craigslist for a power rack.

Dr.Griefo
02-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Height adjustable saw horses.

-=FLEX=-
02-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Just call your mom

[youtube]1aMvoaFCMCI[utube]

OMFG I am laughing so hard.

zedx
02-04-2012, 08:18 AM
I live in a mobile home. It could crash through the floor.

keyboardworkout
02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Watch Kroc dump 545 after tearing his quad.

RDQT_zbJ5Yg

ironwill2008
02-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Look on craigslist for a power rack.

^^^^THIS.

Your first order of responsible training is to do it safely. Don't resort to jack-leg methods; bite the bullet and get the right equipment.

pvsampson
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Just call your mom

Now that was funny!!!

crupiea
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
My rack has no safeties and for a long time I used it like that.

what i use now is a pair of metal sawhorses. i bought them at home depot and they are adjustable up and down too. Works for squatting and bench.

hochspeyer
02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
OMFG I am laughing so hard.

It's unfortunate that he stopped the video before his mom reracked the bar.

Wildtim
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
My rack has no safeties and for a long time I used it like that.

what i use now is a pair of metal sawhorses. i bought them at home depot and they are adjustable up and down too. Works for squatting and bench.

How many times have you ditched on it?

Tyrbolift
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
How about stacked cinder blocks placed just outside the rack so that the plate(s) will sit on top of them?

v1rt
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Hi. I want to set the squat rack up in my house. I have weight in the air on stands. I just don't want to get stuck at the bottom. Any ideas fairly cheap to use as a safety?

maybe this might give some ideas

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

pvsampson
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
How about stacked cinder blocks placed just outside the rack so that the plate(s) will sit on top of them?

You have just sorted out my problem I have been trying to solve for months!!!!

crupiea
02-05-2012, 06:10 AM
How many times have you ditched on it?

I dont ditch that often. as much as the next guy i suppose. i have ditched powercleans on them as well so they can take a pretty good beating. they were from the hang position by the way.

jor012
02-05-2012, 07:22 AM
I just got a bodysolid rack that retails for about $750.00 but I got mine through a local fitness store and the guy gave me a pretty good deal at $550. I'm not sure what you mean buy cheap but when your talking about your personal safety and the ability to lift by yourself with confidence, Between 550 and 750 is a good price. Powertec makes a good rack too. If your looking for cheaper (homemade) be careful with saw horses. I would get some 2x4 and frame a wall.. double the top and bottom plate and sandwich between plywood (prevents racking of the structure) then attach triangular wings (also sandwiched in plywood) for stability. you could even consider closing one ened up by connecting the two sides for additional stability. use PL or cunstruction adhesive when applying the plywood to the frame along with screws.
P.S.
Have your verticle 2x4's about 12inches on center, so if it's 3 feet long you'll need 4 verticle peices. Good luck!

cthulhupun
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I'll echo the sawhorses suggestion.

Marius_Ursus
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Just remember you get what you pay for...unless you get it used...make sure if you buy a cage it's rated for the kind of weight you hope to be squatting some day.

BrotherWolf
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

^^ this you don't need safety bars , when you get stuck you dump it !!

BrotherWolf
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
then don't dump the weight and work with weight you can handle

CardinalRB34
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
you could get creative with some 4x4's and some long @ss screws. maybe some 6x6's if ur squatting more than 500 pounds.....

cthulhupun
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I lived in a mobile home prior to moving to my current place. I put down a layer of 3/4" particle board and then covered that with interlocking foam squares. I doubled the layer of particle board under the area where I did squats and deadlifts. This solved any issues I might have had with weak floors.

Marius_Ursus
02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't know about just dumping it, guys. I failed in the stretch reflex rebound on a 1RM attempt and probably would've ended up wrecked if I hadn't had pins.

pharmamarketer
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Get a used power rack and do it right. I wouldn't go cheap on safety. Go cheap elsewhere

hardNheavy2011
02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a nice power rack with safety bars, but I still prefer squatting outside the rack and dumping it when necessary (I've successfully done this many times :D). Since you are worried about the floor, I'd go with some saw horses too....just make sure they aren't the cheap plastic ones I've seen around.

BrotherWolf
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know about just dumping it, guys. I failed in the stretch reflex rebound on a 1RM attempt and probably would've ended up wrecked if I hadn't had pins.

It might feel awkward the first time but dumping the bar is really safe and easy

Marius_Ursus
02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
It might feel awkward the first time but dumping the bar is really safe and easy

I don't think I communicated what I meant well enough. In the situation I was in, there wouldn't have been time to dump. My legs instantaneously gave out halfway out of the saddle almost (I'm guessing) within .25/second of engaging my quads for the rise. There was nothing I could do but fall down, and without the pins there, it's probable that I would have really wrecked my hip and/or my shoulder.

Skidmarx
02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Dumping a bar is a bad idea. You could damage the floor, the bar, or yourself.

Maybe it's just macho to have weights crashing around?

Rig up some 2x4's, cinderblocks, or even a couple of ropes if you have some overhead beams that are strong enough.

BrotherWolf
02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't think I communicated what I meant well enough. In the situation I was in, there wouldn't have been time to dump. My legs instantaneously gave out halfway out of the saddle almost (I'm guessing) within .25/second of engaging my quads for the rise. There was nothing I could do but fall down, and without the pins there, it's probable that I would have really wrecked my hip and/or my shoulder.
once you let go of the bar it will slide off of your back and away from you , there's nothing holding you down... the worse that could happen is you loosing balance and falling backward
falling forward it's better though :)

kinda like this

qo09MgvvbDE

BrotherWolf
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
On a different note this made me LOL

L0tuT3bi13Y

Marius_Ursus
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
once you let go of the bar it will slide off of your back and away from you , there's nothing holding you down... the worse that could happen is you loosing balance and falling backward

kinda like this

qo09MgvvbDE

Doesn't apply, though. I wish I'd had a camera running, so you could see it for yourself. It happened about 10 times faster than what that guy did. There was no time to react at all.

BrotherWolf
02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Doesn't apply, though. I wish I'd had a camera running, so you could see it for yourself. It happened about 10 times faster than what that guy did. There was no time to react at all.

how did you manage ??

Marius_Ursus
02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
how did you manage ??

I didn't. I collapsed like a sack of rocks, and the pins caught the bar as my ass hit the floor. I was actually pretty lucky I didn't hurt my neck or bang my head on the bar.

BrotherWolf
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I didn't. I collapsed like a sack of rocks, and the pins caught the bar as my ass hit the floor. I was actually pretty lucky I didn't hurt my neck or bang my head on the bar.

lol.. been there once or twice :)

see, if you didn't have pins the bar would have rolled away and no danger to bang your head ;)

Skidmarx
02-18-2012, 04:14 AM

kinda like this

qo09MgvvbDE

That's a sorry ass squat rack. Looks commercial too, not sure why any manufacturer wouldn't build safeties on the front.

Tyrbolift
02-18-2012, 07:24 AM
That's a sorry ass squat rack. Looks commercial too, not sure why any manufacturer wouldn't build safeties on the front.His "safety" was standing behind him and sucked at spotting.