PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with just microwave and possibly Forman Grill

cupsinn
02-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm going to be living in the hotel for the next couple of years, and obviously won't have access to a kitchen. I have a fridge, toaster, kettle and microwave, and may buy a George Forman grill to make meat and fish on. Does anyone see this being a problem (health or otherwise?)

cupster
02-03-2012, 08:47 PM
A crockpot would be great to have in that scenario as well.

cupsinn
02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
A crockpot would be great to have in that scenario as well.

Thanks man, will look into getting one of those as well

DomesticDiva
02-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Not a problem. My stove went out at an inopportune time, and we had to use electric appliances for a few months until we could afford a replacement. In that time, I managed to cook everything we could ever want with the small appliances I already had including: microwave, crock pot, griddle/grill, electric skillet, hot plate, coffee pot, and toaster oven. With a little creativity (and a little extra time in most cases) you can cook just about anything with any combination of these appliances.

TomBremner
02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
its obviously not gonna be ideal but its very do able.

TheHolyCannoli
02-03-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm going to be living in the hotel for the next couple of years, and obviously won't have access to a kitchen. I have a fridge, toaster, kettle and microwave, and may buy a George Forman grill to make meat and fish on. Does anyone see this being a problem (health or otherwise?)

8 yrs of under-grad/post-grad college "experience" and now I could easily cook a 6 course meal with the following 4 appliances: electric hot plate, electric griddle, toaster oven, microwave

Griddle trumps the Foreman grill due to versatility and ease of cleaning.

MITCHAPAL00ZA
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
living in a hotel for a couple years??? do elaborate...as for the cooking, it can be done

cupsinn
02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
living in a hotel for a couple years??? do elaborate...as for the cooking, it can be done

Basically was looking for a place on my own and managed to get a long-term deal that was cheaper than renting a house or apartment, given that all expenses are included in the weekly price. Only downside is the lack of space and cooking facilities. I've set up a mini cooking corner, and can do dishes in the bathroom, so hopefully it'll all work out.

Thanks for the tips guys, will hit up the store tomorrow and look for a grill, griddle and crockpot. Was reading something about cooking hardboiled eggs and pasta/rice in the kettle by putting the stuff in it in a net and repeatedly setting it to boil until the food is cooked, anyone got experience of this?

Also, can you microwave pasta/stir-fry sauces and then mix them with the meat, instead of simmering them together in a pot?

cupsinn
02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Another plus is that I'm five minutes away from work, so will save on gas/transport. Slightly unorthodox but everything seems cool so far

Cheese3216
02-03-2012, 11:54 PM
living in a hotel for a few years is AWESOME imo bro. i would love to do that