PDA

View Full Version : As a beginner do I need any supplements?

epictetus100
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I am only starting out to workout. As a beginner do I need any supplements?
My goal is fat loss/muscle gain.
I weigh 215 pounds and I think I have about 28% body fat.
Also How many calories/protein would I need daily.
Thank you.

Retoaded
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
first read the nutrition subforum and the stickies there....that will tell you how much you need to eat to lose weight and how much protein you need. If you have trouble not getting the protein you need, protein isolate powders for shakes are worth considering. I am also cutting right now and I use 1 or 2 shakes a day to help me meet my protein goals without adding too many calories...if cutting pretty hard sometimes its hard to get a ton of protein at the reduced calories...the protein will help you build/retain muscle while cutting.

multivitamins are good.

HOWEVER the key and only key, and number one thing, and most important thing...is diet. you have to calculate what you just asked. its in the stickies on the nutrition forum. track your food for a couple weeks and you'll get a good feel for it. Then you'll know whether to add a protein isolate or not.

How do I know this? I've lost 30 pounds over the last 4 or 5 months while getting stronger at the same time. I floundered around for the first couple months until I got smart and educated myself. So I am saving you the trouble. start with your nutrition. also: lift heavy freeweights...build your lean muscle mass. that will raise your BMR (you will find this in the stickies) and help your deficit even more and help you continue to lose weight.

Once you know what you should be eating every day, and you learn how to work out effectively....its seriously not even hard.

tsoden
02-03-2012, 12:11 PM
If you did a search in this forum on this very question I am sure you would have found half a dozen threads on this matter.

No Matter...

The simple answer is NO. You can bodybuild without supplements. As a beginner, all you need to do is get your diet in check and cut out the crap.

Good Luck

cowboybiker
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
no.

2BLAZERS
02-03-2012, 01:02 PM
No and No

SA1705
02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
NEED? - NO
NEEDS - Proper nutrition (found on stickies), Proper training for fat loss (found on stickies), Proper rest (found in bed)
IMO most supplements act as placebo effects

Don't waste your money.
BTW most Americans do not get the vitamins and minerals they need because of improper diet, but if your diet is in check and variety, you do not NEED a multivitamin either.
But with a calorie defecit and lack of variety in fruits and vegetables, multivitamin would probably not hurt. If you get extra water-soluble, you will excrete them anyway.

Hard Work and Dedication - go get it man!

snorkelman
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Without knowing your BMI, and only going from your bodyfat, you are probably close to being clinically obese. Assuming you are not a guy who considers wii to be “exercise,” and assuming that you are going to be engaging in intensive, progressive resistance training, then a good goal is to shoot for a daily protein intake in the range of 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass, which is easily ballparked by just using 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight you realistically think you will have in the next 3 months. The nutrition stickies discuss the differences between using body weight and LBM as baselines for figuring this out, but the fatter (obese) you are, the better it is to use LBM. Your fat intake should be in the range of 0.45 to 1.0 grams per pound of body weight.

Since your goal is fat loss, you will be eating in a caloric deficit, and if you feel that .45-1 gram per pound is too much fat for you to hit your calorie goals, then you can even lower your dietary intake of fat as low as .35 grams per pound of body weight (again, if you are obese, it is better to use LBM rather than body weight).

No supplements at the beginning, other than possibly consider using some protein powder as a convenient way to supplement your protein intake from whole foods, as protein powder is cheap (on a per serving basis), portable, and stores for a long time of kept in cool conditions.

JerryB
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
No. You first need to learn how to execute the exercises and plan a diet on prepared meals.

wheyshakes
02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Let me add to this - another NO. You don't need supplements to work out.
If you want faster recovery, you can try drinking protein shakes though.

Thank you.

SA1705
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Let me add to this - another NO. You don't need supplements to work out.
If you want faster recovery, you can try drinking protein shakes though.

Ok, protein (amino acids) will decrease recovery time. Protein can be found in whole foods. You don't have to go to GNC or BB.com or wherever to get some chemical version. "Protein shake" is a very loose item that can mean a lot of different things. A protein supplement is okay if you are looking for the benefits snorkelman indicated in his post.
IMO just stick with lean whole food sources for protein intake as much as possible. Reason:
they are more filling (IMO) because you have to chew them or mechanically digest them in some way if it is yogurt (exception of milk)

there is nothing wrong with having a protein shake on a cut, but I feel like grilled chicken, salmon, cod, tuna, crab, turkey, lean beef, venison, other shellfish, eggs in moderation or egg whites, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, ect. provide a much more satiation.

Point: You don't have to have a protein shake for recovery to gain muscle or lose fat. If you want to do it for convenience, expence, or personal reasons that is fine. But honestly I think the recovery time thing is somewhat of a placebo, but I do not have a PHD in nutrition. I just train, eat, sleep, and that has worked for me.

hochspeyer
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, they're "supplements". Since they "add to", you really don't need them. Because they're supplements.

Vicjustice
02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Thank you.Don't know thy people so much consider the use of "supplements", i don't, and never would i

epictetus100
02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
No. You first need to learn how to execute the exercises and plan a diet on prepared meals.

firsts of all is this a real profile picture of you man? at age 63!! I can only dream about having such a body.
Edit: i saw your profile. You are real person!

epictetus100
02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies. telling me not to buy supplements at a supplement site is brutal honesty. Appreciate it.

Guess will stick to food and muliti-vitamins. But in case I decide to buy a protein what protein brands and specific powder in that brand would you suggest?

and I see many people are taking some sort of supplement/s before they begin to exercise. do you recommend these? or are there any sort of foods that would give me the same affect?

ironwill2008
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
But in case I decide to buy a protein what protein brands and specific powder in that brand would you suggest?

Despite what the various companies say about why their brand is "best," they're all made from milk, so they're all pretty much the same. However, keep in mind that none of them are under any type of FDA rules as to their actual contents, or the purity of said contents.

IOW, you may, or may not, be getting the label-claimed ingredients, and there are no guarantees that the contents aren't contaminated from poor manufacturing processes, unsanitary factory conditions, etc. At the very least, it would be wise to ascertain the country of origin of the raw ingredients of any protein powder (or any other supplement, for that mattter) you're considering using.

and I see many people are taking some sort of supplement/s before they begin to exercise. do you recommend these? or are there any sort of foods that would give me the same affect?

A cup of strong black coffee will probably do the trick.

billb7581
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
The shakes aren't required but they make it easier to get your protein for the day, especially if you are not accustomed to eating tons of eggs, beef, chicken, greek yogurt etc. Some days I use them, if I am up against my total calories and still need some protein, and some days I dont.

crupiea
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
no.

ManOfOne
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I see you have had allot of responses to this and hope they are helpful, everyone here will always give you good advice and encouragement to not give up and keep going to the gym to get a better body :)

I wouldn't say you need any supplements to start off with. I was at 195lbs when I started going to the gym in October 2011 (don't recall the exact date) and I never know about bodybuilding.com at the time and all I did was the treadmill and weights. My goal was to do the best 1 mile run I could and work on my arms and chest. Two and a half months later I weighted myself and I lost 25lbs.

I didn't take any supplements at all. My diet was chicken breast (seasoned with Mrs Dash) and shopped peppers half of each color (Red, Green Orange, yellow). I fried them up using a bit of olive oil and that was what I ate after I got home from a work out. I also stopped all pop and other juices and stuck to water and only water, also I stopped eating breads. If I was hungry I would eat an apple or banana and would curb the hunger by drinking more water.

I wasn't able to hit the gym every day and only managed to go twice a week or three times a week if I was able because I work 12 hour shift work, days (7am-7pm) and nights (7pm-7am).

I hope this helps you and lets you know you can loose weight and build muscle while not needing suppliants. You may want to make a target weight to get to before you start taking suppliants.

Hope this helps :)

ManOfOne

JerryB
02-13-2012, 11:21 PM
firsts of all is this a real profile picture of you man? at age 63!! I can only dream about having such a body.
Edit: i saw your profile. You are real person!

Yes the pictures are really me. I just your typical old man who has been enjoying weight training for decades.