PDA

View Full Version : When do you start cutting?

penn28
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
At what fat percentage do you stop bulking and start cutting? Do you have any set target or guidelines?

bigtallox
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM
At what fat percentage do you stop bulking and start cutting? Do you have any set target or guidelines?

What's cutting?

Hahahahaha. Never, lol.

But to answer your question, it's personal preference, there is no single number set in stone.

ironwill2008
02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Do you have any set target or guidelines?

I go strictly by the mirror. I stay fairly lean all year around, and don't subscribe to the "bulk & cut" mantra often expressed here. I'll simply drop a few hundred carb calories out of my daily intake for a few weeks if I feel I'm gaining more pudge than I prefer to carry. Not a big deal if things aren't allowed to get out of hand in the first place.

The choice is up to you, but if you're still reasonably lean, and you've only been training for a short time, you may want to consider delaying any calorie deficit, and continue to eat at a slight surplus, keep training hard, and add more muscle mass.

JOHN GARGANI
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
you're not "cutting" unless you are getting ready for STAGE PRESENTATION.....

if not, you are DIETING.....

what are your plans? to look good the beach season?

pharmamarketer
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm still working on the growing part

DSUP
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm normally one for strict interpretations (e.g., "Professional" means someone who's occupation requires an advanced degree not just someone who participates in a particular activity for a living) but I don't think we need to split hairs between recreational bodyuilders.

I start eating more and letting my belt out sometime in the Autumn and then start dieting down (better?) on March 1 and run lean all Summer.

El Conquistador
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Ultimately depends on what your goal is. Personally I'm not a big fan of long stretches of bulking/cutting. If you're 15% and not dieting for a show, I would cut to 10% or so, then maybe bulk up to 12-13%, cut back to 8-9%, etc.

chodan9
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
in the past I always liked leaning out for spring, but this year I had plans (in one week btw) that involve beeches in cancun, so I spent the last year slowly dropping 35 pounds, some muscle but mostly fat.
I like the feeling of being very lean so much I don't plan on straying away from it again.

the201stinger
02-03-2012, 06:19 PM
start cutting when you cant see your toes

wheyshakes
02-03-2012, 10:00 PM
...or when you can't see [you know where] when you pee. Just kidding.

I keep seeing this question floating around. Why can't bulk and cut at the same time?

start cutting when you cant see your toes

penn28
02-04-2012, 07:36 AM

what are your plans? to look good the beach season?

My mistake. I should have used the word "dieting". I check my body fat percentage on one of those machines that measures by impedance. Though not very accurate it gives a fairly good idea of the fat percentage. Building up (bulking) I have reached about 17%; don't look too bad but there is visible layer of fat covering the six pack around the waist which is not how I generally am.

penn28
02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
...or when you can't see [you know where] when you pee. Just kidding.

I keep seeing this question floating around. Why can't bulk and cut at the same time?

Bulking and cutting at the same time? Quite difficult I guess....

boathead
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
i really wish folks would get off this bulk/cut stuff. a steady ramp would serve most.

a cut is the deliberate abandonment of hard gained muscle mass, generally followed by a period of frenzied accumulation of unsightly body fat, otherwise known as a bulk.:)

tigerhu45
02-04-2012, 08:33 AM
in the past I always liked leaning out for spring, but this year I had plans (in one week btw) that involve beeches in cancun, so I spent the last year slowly dropping 35 pounds, some muscle but mostly fat.
I like the feeling of being very lean so much I don't plan on straying away from it again.I stay fairly lean http://www.collegefun4u.com/track.php?u=5all year around, and don't subscribe to the "bulk & cut" mantra often expressed here. I'll simply drop a few hundred carb calories out of my daily intake for a few weeks if I feel I'm gaining more pudge than I prefer to carry. Not a big deal if things aren't allowed to get out of hand in the first place