PDA

View Full Version : How many calories to lose fat

Jasonlee39
02-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi,

Been looking everywhere for the best way to lose fat and there are so many different answers i dont know which is best.

I am 39 - 5f 11, 220lb and i want to get to about 200lb

Exercises:

Mon: weights ( chest & arms )
Tues: 40 mins cardio
weds: weights ( legs & back )
thurs: 40 mins cardio + 1 hour 5 aside football
fri: weights ( shoulders & triceps )
sat & sun rest

How many calories should i be eating to get to 200lb

dazlittle
02-03-2012, 05:14 AM
I think you will get lots of views and not many replies as you need to help yourself before asking questions. Simply put you lose weight by burning more calories than you eat. The only sure fire way to know how many calories you are eating is to track everything you put in your mouth.

Have a read of these and educate yourself about nutrition then, over a period of a few weeks work out your BMR then go from there.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

Best of luck.

Brackneyc
02-03-2012, 05:22 AM
What are your baseline maintenance calories. You did establish this before you began, right?

ljimd
02-03-2012, 05:35 AM
What are your baseline maintenance calories. You did establish this before you began, right?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Unless you can answer this question - all answers are mere guesses.

Jasonlee39
02-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Sorry dont understand the baseline calorie etc, i have read the page Calculating Calories and Macro's many times but just cant grasp it

ljimd
02-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Document your intake for several weeks and determine whether you are gaining or losing - or (best case) if you are not moving up or down, that would be your baseline (maintenance). You can tweak up or down from there according to your goals. You have to be as accurate as possible when you track or your results will be skewed.

Jasonlee39
02-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Document your intake for several weeks and determine whether you are gaining or losing - or (best case) if you are not moving up or down, that would be your baseline (maintenance). You can tweak up or down from there according to your goals. You have to be as accurate as possible when you track or your results will be skewed.

2400 cals per day for last 4 weeks ratio on average of 22% fat 34% protein 44% carbs but not lost any weight in last 4 weeks

ljimd
02-03-2012, 06:49 AM
2400 cals per day for last 4 weeks ratio on average of 22% fat 34% protein 44% carbs but not lost any weight in last 4 weeks

Protein 34% looks good.

Bring your fat % up to 100gr or 35/37%

Drop carbs to 150gr or @600 cals.

That should be @2300 cals with some macro % change. This is my opinion without knowing what your diet
looks like. Also your intensity with training should be fairly high. Remember, you want to preserve LBM not just drop #'s. See if this gives you a kick-start.

mslman71
02-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Not a bad distribution and the calorie count should have you losing around a pound a week given your weight (we are same height & weight, dunno about bf% though). First and foremost, are you being 100% honest on your calorie counting? No guesses on portion sizes, and you are including coffee, tea, or soda, all the way down to the calories in your supplements (like fish oil)? The second is not to get too hung up on short term variations in weight, although 4 weeks is getting to be a good stretch of time. Hydration levels and undigested foodstuffs can affect your weight and put your actual weight loss in the noise if it's only a few pounds.

I don't know how others did it, but I figured my daily caloric needs by weighing myself every day over the course of about 3 months. I kept my calorie close to constant. I plotted my weight as a function of time (you can use a spreadsheet) and fit the data to a straight line. Assuming 3500 kcal/lb fat I looked at the total difference in weight between the end of the period and the start of the period based on the fit line. If the weight didn't change then I was eating right at my maintenance + average activity level requirements. If the weight went up, then my maintenance level would be approximately average_intake/day - (gain lbs * 3500 kcal/lbs)/(# days), if it went down, then average_intake + (loss lbs * 3500 kcal/lbs)/(# days). Say I lost two pounds in 90 days and ate 2750 kcal/day on average, then my maintenance+activity intake would be approximately 2750kcal/day + (2lbs*3500kcal/lbs)/90day = 2830 kcal/day.

Here's an example of one I did last spring, albeit of a fairly short duration. The fit is poor due to the scatter over the timeframe so the uncertainty here would be fairly high. Longer duration runs should help reduce error.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5012/5582341122_38df855a9a.jpg

Jasonlee39
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys, i was worried i wasnt eating enough and my body was storing the fat as i was using a kit-fit ( bodymedia ) armband for 3 weeks and on average it said i was burning 3200 thats why i kept my calories to around 2400 ( 800 less ) to try lose the fat, but thanks for your comments and think i`ll change my ratios a little as suggested by ljimd