PDA

View Full Version : Totally Lost and out my depth

overlander
02-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Hello Guys/Gals,

I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times, i'm 44 years of age and over the last 15 years i cannot believe the condition i have let myself get into. When i was in my 20's i trained and was very lucky to have the body type which gained muscle easily, except forearms and calves, could never get them to grow !

Anyway fast forward 20 years and i'm 250lbs of pure fat, 6ft 4" and have the onset of type two diabetes although very mild and at the early stages.

Basically HELP.

I started back at the gym 2 weeks ago and have went from 264lbs to 250lbs in 2 weeks just doing cardio nothing else. I know this initial weight loss will slow but I really want to build muscle again. I am just so out of touch now and so unfit i just do not know where to start. I guess my first question is do i lose the weight first and then build?

I am 100% committed to this now, i have quit all my other hobbies and stopped drinking alcohol completely to free up the time i need. I want to document this train wreck from start to finish. Never in my life have i ever needed to turn to other people for help never mind a forum but I am not to proud to admit i need help now.

Where do i start documenting this, i need to get this train rolling.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Scott

TwistOFKhane
02-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Hi Scott. Glad to hear you have had a change of heart and want to get in good shape. I understand you want to put on muscle but it is so important you lose weight first (otherwise you will build muscle underneath the fat, thus gaining weight). A guy of your size would want to be hitting 195 - 210lb top end for your weight (ideally 175lb but given your age this would be very unrealistic).

Make sure you work out 3 or 4 times a week doing CV. Training is important but the key to loosing weight is your diet. Cut all that **** out and your on for a winner. Eat healthy and regularly. Its always good to have a treat every now and then but try to cut out snacking and eat proper meals.

Once you have lost all that fat, get heavy on the weight and bulk. Keep us updated on how your getting on.

Good luck scott.

jawafett
02-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Read the stickies in the losing fat section and the nutrition section. There is valuable information there written by individuals who know their stuff.

Calories in vs. calories out. Eat in a deficit and you will drop weight. Use the stickies to calculate your needs. Cardio is an excellent health benefit and will assist with weight loss, but not mandatory. A deficit is mandatory.

Lift and lift heavy. This is important. Don't wind up just a smaller version of you. Gaining while in a deficit is debated here, and for me I don't think I did. I'm not an expert so I'll leave that one to the people here who know far more than I.

My biggest advice is to not quit all your other hobbies like you said. This way of living, dietary changes and training, must become a part of your life from now on. It is not a reach the goal and quit type thing. If you enjoyed other things there is no reason to stop enjoying activities, as you likely will revert back to them anyways. Once you have made training part of your life in addition to other things you like, you will be much happier and more likely to stick with it.

latebloomingmom
02-03-2012, 05:29 AM
everyone has a starting point...I think you can find some valuable information here. Welcome to the forums.
I wish you well on your journey back to good health.:)

ljimd
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Welcome and good luck. You are making the right move.

Skidmarx
02-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Make sure you get your head right. We see tons of people that do the fitness kick, lose a few pounds, fizzle out and quit. Nothing really changed. If you aren't in this for the long haul, then you are wasting your time.

Everyone is different, but what has worked for me is getting into fitness but not letting it dominate my life. For me, going too gung-ho on training(or anything else for that matter) is a good way to get burned out. Balance, right? I have a short attention span too, so maybe that's my issue. :D

Good luck.

tsoden
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
A lot of good suggestions here.

1. Find a physical activity you love. This will help a lot since you will look forward to doing it. When participating... CHALLENGE YOURSELF - this will force you to work harder
2. Book time in your day for your workouts and COMMIT TO THEM
3. Journal your workouts to track your progress
4. Journal your food intake (or use an online tracker) so that you know what you are eating and where you can make changes moving forward
5. Clear all the temptations out your house - Remove all the process crap out of your life.
6. Learn to cook healthy... surprisingly, you can make some very delicious HEALTHY food without added fat.
7. Set some realistic short and long term goals.... this will keep you focused
8. Reward yourself when you reach those goals (try to stay away from food and drink as rewards though)
9. Don't feel you can't treat or indulge once in a while. but be warned, if you do this, keep track and think smart
10. Realize this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and NOT A SHORT TERM DIET. The biggest problem most face when losing weight is they see it as a short term fix - lose the wieght, and get back onto old habits. Realize that once you clean up your bad habits... they are dead, gone, and not to be brought back to life.

overlander
02-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, i have been reading the suggested bits of the site, and i think my plan will be to get the weight off first, decided to aim for 185lbs at 6ft 4" that should be a good basis to start. I also take on board about not giving up my hobbies, but it was these things that got me into this mess as none involve physical exercise. I used to love cycling so will also start doing this. From what i have taken in from this i really should not be thinking of doing anything serious with the weights until i get down in weight so will stick to cardio. I will also post pictures as there is no better motivation than public failure.

Will fill in my details tonight.

One quick question, i am not really a morning person and find i perform better at night. BUT the best time i can fit my training in is before work, is this a physical thing or a mental thing that will change over time or am i best to keep to nights?

mslman71
02-03-2012, 07:43 AM
A lot of good suggestions here.

1. Find a physical activity you love. This will help a lot since you will look forward to doing it. When participating... CHALLENGE YOURSELF - this will force you to work harder
2. Book time in your day for your workouts and COMMIT TO THEM
3. Journal your workouts to track your progress
4. Journal your food intake (or use an online tracker) so that you know what you are eating and where you can make changes moving forward
5. Clear all the temptations out your house - Remove all the process crap out of your life.
6. Learn to cook healthy... surprisingly, you can make some very delicious HEALTHY food without added fat.
7. Set some realistic short and long term goals.... this will keep you focused
8. Reward yourself when you reach those goals (try to stay away from food and drink as rewards though)
9. Don't feel you can't treat or indulge once in a while. but be warned, if you do this, keep track and think smart
10. Realize this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and NOT A SHORT TERM DIET. The biggest problem most face when losing weight is they see it as a short term fix - lose the wieght, and get back onto old habits. Realize that once you clean up your bad habits... they are dead, gone, and not to be brought back to life.

^^^ excellent

Write down every single thing that you eat and how many calories are in it. Include macro breakdown as a bonus if you are interested in how your protein/fat/carb intake is distributed. Weigh your food. You can get a cheap scale on amazon for $15-20. Don't guesstimate your portion sizes.

I've battled weight problems my entire life and I assure you that managing your diet is job one.

tsoden
02-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, i have been reading the suggested bits of the site, and i think my plan will be to get the weight off first, decided to aim for 185lbs at 6ft 4" that should be a good basis to start. I also take on board about not giving up my hobbies, but it was these things that got me into this mess as none involve physical exercise. I used to love cycling so will also start doing this. From what i have taken in from this i really should not be thinking of doing anything serious with the weights until i get down in weight so will stick to cardio. I will also post pictures as there is no better motivation than public failure.

Will fill in my details tonight.

One quick question, i am not really a morning person and find i perform better at night. BUT the best time i can fit my training in is before work, is this a physical thing or a mental thing that will change over time or am i best to keep to nights?

Keep in mind... when you start losing weight, you need to be concious of maintaining the muscle mass you currently have. I did weight watchers for a couple years and went from 225 to 166... but... lost so much muscle mass. I was always aching and always in pain. So that being said, I would not give up resistance training 100%. You don't need to focus on becoming the next Jay Cutler, but including a weight lifting routine, even a simple one, will allow you to maintain your muscle mass.

It does not matter what time you chose to train. BUT, you will want to train at a time where you will get the most out of your workout. If you feel you can push harder at night, then workout at night. If you can adapt to mornings (like I have recently), try it out and see if you will get the results you want. In the end, it's all about challenging yourself and knowing you did everything you could in your workout to reach your end goal.

BloodySalad
02-03-2012, 08:34 AM
+ 1 for lifting.

@OP
If you lose weight without doing any heavy work, you're probably going to lose muscle mass. Lifting will help you to maintain what you've got and that muscle will help you to lose weight so don't cut it out from your plan.
When I lost weight, I alternated cardio days with lifting days and it worked fine.
Don't get too hung up on the exercise for the first week or two though - do it but don't get fanatical about it. At the beginning, everything you do should be concentrated around getting your diet right.

Other thing to do is read, read, read. And then read some more. When you've done that, go read more. And finally, read some more.
Knowledge is your friend in the dietary and exercise department and there is a wealth of material on this website which will help you out. You can float about the net and look elsewhere if you want to, but there's no need - it's all here.

If you're 100% determined to get fit those 3 things will get you there - diet, exercise and knowledge.

Good luck!!!

otiskii
02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Are you guys serious? 175 or 185 at 6'4? I guess if you like to be called big bird that's ok. I'm 6'3 and my goal is 230 and I think that's light but I'm lifting and 50 (and t2). If I was 30 I'd want to be 250.

tsoden
02-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Are you guys serious? 175 or 185 at 6'4? I guess if you like to be called big bird that's ok. I'm 6'3 and my goal is 230 and I think that's light but I'm lifting and 50 (and t2). If I was 30 I'd want to be 250.

I guess it really depends. I am sure OP will find a weight that suites him when he reaches it. I feel much more comfortable at 195 now than when I was 166 a few years ago.

overlander
02-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not going to get hung up on a finishing weight as thats just the start, but lets just wait until i get there anwhere near 195-200 and i will be happy. Like tsoden says i'll wait until i find a weight i feel good with.

Skidmarx
02-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Not really. I 6'4 have a medium build and have been down to 200....and still had a bit of fat to lose. You'd be surprised at how much of a cut you really need to get ripped. Your 230 is probably more like 210 if you are really muscular.

jor012
02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I would start with the weights but in a higher rep range, 15-20.

tsoden
02-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I would start with the weights but in a higher rep range, 15-20.

Perfect!

overlander
02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
But what about cardio? From what i am hearing is, do some weights to keep the muscle up and do some cardio to help reduce the fat, is that a correct. Ok if that is correct where do i go about finding a routine to get me started, and basically how long should i spend in each session. Sorry for all the questions but i'm sure when i start i will find my own grove and get help of you guys to keep me moving on.

bigtallox
02-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I started back at the gym 2 weeks ago and have went from 264lbs to 250lbs in 2 weeks just doing cardio nothing else. I know this initial weight loss will slow but I really want to build muscle again. I am just so out of touch now and so unfit i just do not know where to start. I guess my first question is do i lose the weight first and then build?

NO, you don't need to lose the weight first and then build. IMHO losing weight by doing only cardio is a poor choice because it won't prevent muscle loss. You say you're pure fat, but that's not true, everybody has muscle, and if you drop weight without training with weights you will lose more muscle than if you train with weights. Doing cardio is fine, but you need to add some strength training to it. Find a good beginner weight lifting program and stick with it for a while.

overlander
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Ok guys, thanks starting to get the picture now. Will now delve into the nutrition side now. Starting to regret giving this game up 20 years ago, what a fool. But no point in looking back.

TheIronMaster
02-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Hello i was pushing 300 lbs when i started. I built muscle as i lost fat. Did it over a 3 year period. I wasn't i a big hurry to drop the fat. Doing what they call recomp.

rand18m
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
NO, you don't need to lose the weight first and then build. IMHO losing weight by doing only cardio is a poor choice because it won't prevent muscle loss. You say you're pure fat, but that's not true, everybody has muscle, and if you drop weight without training with weights you will lose more muscle than if you train with weights. Doing cardio is fine, but you need to add some strength training to it. Find a good beginner weight lifting program and stick with it for a while.

Listen to this advice^^^!

rand18m
02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Congratulations on committing to making a change, one that sounds as if you certainly need to make.

There are a lot of health reasons to do cardio, but weight loss is not one of them. Unless you are engaged in high intensity endurance training, cardio is purely for the health benefits it brings in energy systems development, which you need considering your pre-diabetic situation.

If weight loss is your goal, and clearly it is, then learning to compose a proper diet along with a well designed resistance training program, that incorporates cardiovascular work for metabolic conditioning is what you need. You can go to the nutrition section, read the stickies, there are many, and learn all you can about getting your energy expenditures estimates calculated and then compose a diet around those numbers. If you have problems with that get back to me and I can give you, (as can many here) suggestions that will help you to make adjustments in order to lower your caloric intake without starving yourself to death, which is EXACTLY what you don't want to do. But the optimal thing to do is the first recommendation, going to the nutrition section and learning.

If you are carrying excess weight, and you are, then you have a good base of muscle underneath, you don't want to loose that base. There are many beginner resistance training programs right here on this site that can get you started. Find one, give it a shot, you can adjust the exercises that you don't care for, or that cause you joint problems, for instance if you have previous injuries. You can find replacement exercises in the exercise data base that will work fine. Log each and every workout, I believe this is a must for beginners, you need to be able to look back each week at what weights and reps you did and try to improve on one or the other, especially after you have got a month or two under your belt. One more thing, find a program that focus' on building a base with a mixture of good compound movements, and maybe one accessory movement. You can do whole body, an upper lower split, or push-pull, which ever your prefer or specifically what fits your schedule. Good luck and keep us updated!!

RogerAgness
02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Important to document your progress, with photos and numbers too... in a spreadsheet?

wheyshakes
02-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Scott, glad to hear that you're starting to get your life and health back. Just take things one step at a time. It's not easy to get back on track when you are out that long. It's better to aim for long term results. Just make sure you watch your diet on top of working out. Don't eat in excess but don't fall below 1500 calories. That should do a great deal to bring your weight down.

Hello Guys/Gals,

I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times, i'm 44 years of age and over the last 15 years i cannot believe the condition i have let myself get into. When i was in my 20's i trained and was very lucky to have the body type which gained muscle easily, except forearms and calves, could never get them to grow !

Anyway fast forward 20 years and i'm 250lbs of pure fat, 6ft 4" and have the onset of type two diabetes although very mild and at the early stages.

Basically HELP.

I am 100% committed to this now, i have quit all my other hobbies and stopped drinking alcohol completely to free up the time i need. I want to document this train wreck from start to finish. Never in my life have i ever needed to turn to other people for help never mind a forum but I am not to proud to admit i need help now.

Where do i start documenting this, i need to get this train rolling.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Scott