PDA

View Full Version : My wife complaining about lack of results

billb7581
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
We both joined the gym 1/1, I am starting to see a little bit of results (beginnings of a bicep, waist a little smaller lost 10 lbs etc) She has been doing mainly cardio and circuit training.

I'm thinking of having her do my workout. She has the typical problem areas women have where she stores fat. I'm thinking she would have better results doing the big 3 lifts rather than messing around with all those light weights and machines... I think she has the typical fear of women "not wanting to get too big", but I tried to tell her, that's not going to happen. What say you folks?

TenThreeFive
02-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes because she doesn't want to get gross like these weightlifters.

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://grplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/girl-weight-lifting.jpg&sa=X&ei=LaUqT_n8CsiuiQL_7LmmCg&ved=0CAwQ8wc4FQ&usg=AFQjCNE2aQakixPP2nR06Xv024kabCcMYw

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vPI9WR2SDuU/S-Jax9uoYTI/AAAAAAAAAd0/agAhoIci6QQ/s1600/nm_woman_weight_lifter_090128_main1.jpg&sa=X&ei=ZqUqT54XyaeJApqoseMK&ved=0CAsQ8wc4Tg&usg=AFQjCNFe7ac0VBhQKF1J6MLofXUDAjWSmg

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://spoonfulpb.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/heavy.jpg&sa=X&ei=1KUqT4GuBualiQKj0OnXCg&ved=0CAwQ8wc4bA&usg=AFQjCNFWRFgZP0gNyJnVIsje9L5lAL3d7g

billb7581
02-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree dude. I think it's a herd mentality, I've only ever seen 1 woman in the squat rack at my gym, and she was one of the trainers LOL. Women just chug along on the treadmills and watch Oprah LOL.

I guess what I am asking is if All Pros beginner routine is good for women? I dont see why not, but I am not that knowledgable about these things

TrollCrew
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
http://dudelol.com/img/what-women-think-will-happen-to-them-if-they-lift-weights-and-what-actually-happens.jpg

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/08/attention-women-heres-proof-that-lifting-heavy-weights-will-not-make-you-big-and-bulky/

freebirdmac
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
She needs to understand that fat comes off all over. If she's losing, she is losing in her problem areas. She'll see it more in leaner areas. What's also common is getting smaller but looking the same. Just smaller. That's where increasing lean mass really shines. No, she shouldn't be messing with light weights. Machines are fine, they are a tool in the box. But a solid bodybuilding routine in the 8=10 rep range will do more for her than what she is doing now. Diet however is key. Eat too much, too little, or with lopsided macros and you can really hurt yourself.

-=FLEX=-
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM
What say you folks?

Get her lifting the iron.

My GF started with me two years ago and I had her doing barbell bench press the first day. Took a while before she advanced to deadlifts and squats, but we got her there. She's much stronger now, and her shape is noticeably different, and still VERY feminine. ;)

freebirdmac
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I agree dude. I think it's a herd mentality, I've only ever seen 1 woman in the squat rack at my gym, and she was one of the trainers LOL. Women just chug along on the treadmills and watch Oprah LOL.

I guess what I am asking is if All Pros beginner routine is good for women? I dont see why not, but I am not that knowledgable about these things

If a routine is good for a guy, it's good for a woman. There are no training differences. Only goals.

Have her join the female forums!

billb7581
02-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I am assuming the All Pro workout is solid, reps in the 8-12 range. I may just put her on 2 heavy days instead of a heavy medium light days (which is a modification sanctioned by all pro) because you cant get 10 percent and 20 percent lighter than an empty bar. I have to see where she is at strengthwise though before I do this.

Another idea is I could start her on the smith machine where the empty bar ~ 20 lbs.

I'm going to have her work out with me Friday when we go back though, thanks for your input.

plumher
02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
My wife is the same way. Before our daughter got married a few years ago, my wife hired a pt to "whip her into shape". According to her she lifted weights, did cardio 5x/week and ate next to nothing for 6 months to only lose 10 lbs......."It's just no worth it," she said!!!

In reality she prolly did it for 4 months, didn't really push herself while not with her trainer, and ate what she wanted ( just a little less of it) and didn't track her calories or her macros.

All of these things are crucial if we want quicker results.

Oh and forget about my wife lifting with me. NOT gonna happen.

Cuz I'm 'possessed ' and I made her sore 'the last time' we worked out together

I even thickened the pot by dangling a week vacation out of the country to an island if she lost 30 lbs. I told her I'd also pay for liposuction if she got down under 150 lbs.

I'm told , "it's impossible"

Eh... Whatever. If I can lose 50 lbs she can lose 30. But arguing gets me knowwhere.

Sorry op I got a little off track here/ end rant

chodan9
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
women cannot get "to big" accidentally, it would require a conscious combined with massive amounts of food and hormonal support.
Its extremely hard for men to get as big as we would like, it doesnt make sense that a woman would just accidentally get huge just because they were lifting weights.
the lifts you recommended, combined with a sound nutrition plan will do more for shaping and firming her body in all the right places than anything else IMO.

TenThreeFive
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking of having her do my workout. I'm thinking she would have better results doing the big 3 lifts rather than messing around with all those light weights and machines...

I may just put her on 2 heavy days instead of a heavy medium light daysYou are doing a lot of thinking for her. In my 23 years of marriage I have learned its best just to offer a suggestion or two and then leave it at that. If she really wants it she will figure it out.

67fastback
02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
It's going to be harder for your wife, to see -BF, than you. Guys have more muscle mass (base) and can burn calories easier.
Women have to pay much closer attention to diet, also. They store up BF easier.

Your wife really has to make up her own mind, work hard, and not use slow progress, as an excuse for quitting.

Along with the training as of January 1 (which is good) have you , or are you (both) planning any changes to your eating habits?

billb7581
02-02-2012, 08:41 AM
You are doing a lot of thinking for her. In my 23 years of marriage I have learned its best just to offer a suggestion or two and then leave it at that. If she really wants it she will figure it out.

When we spoke she said she wanted to try working out with me, I was just trying to figure out how to do the routine if her 10 rep max was the empty bar, then the math stops working, unless you use dumbells I guess.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Along with the training as of January 1 (which is good) have you , or are you (both) planning any changes to your eating habits?

I try to keep around 3000 calories/150g protein, when I last checked my wife was not eating enough.

-=FLEX=-
02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
When we spoke she said she wanted to try working out with me, I was just trying to figure out how to do the routine if her 10 rep max was the empty bar, then the math stops working, unless you use dumbells I guess.

If your gym has fixed barbells use those until her strength gets up there. They won't fit on the rack but you should be able to hand them to her.

When my GF first started lifting she did bench with the 20lb fixed barbell; I just handed it to her and took it back at the end of her set. She now benches over 100 lbs.

bigtallox
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I think she has the typical fear of women "not wanting to get too big", but I tried to tell her, that's not going to happen. What say you folks?

It won't happen.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Again, we work out at the same time so I see her sweating and putting the effort in. I just think she's not putting the effort into the right things.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
If your gym has fixed barbells use those until her strength gets up there. They won't fit on the rack but you should be able to hand them to her.

When my GF first started lifting she did bench with the 20lb fixed barbell; I just handed it to her and took it back at the end of her set. She now benches over 100 lbs.

Didnt think of that, good idea thanks.

crupiea
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
its her own fault if she isnt seeing results.

her diet is not balanced with her workouts.

freebirdmac
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM

It is her own fault but so many people need more education than they currently have. Just look around this forum at the common myths and misconceptions that abound.

OP, will she join the female forum?

drudixon
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
We both joined the gym 1/1, I am starting to see a little bit of results (beginnings of a bicep, waist a little smaller lost 10 lbs etc) She has been doing mainly cardio and circuit training.

I'm thinking of having her do my workout. She has the typical problem areas women have where she stores fat. I'm thinking she would have better results doing the big 3 lifts rather than messing around with all those light weights and machines... I think she has the typical fear of women "not wanting to get too big", but I tried to tell her, that's not going to happen. What say you folks?

direct her to the female training logs. Those women aren't gross at all.

otiskii
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
My wife is the same way. Before our daughter got married a few years ago, my wife hired a pt to "whip her into shape". According to her she lifted weights, did cardio 5x/week and ate next to nothing for 6 months to only lose 10 lbs......."It's just no worth it," she said!!!

In reality she prolly did it for 4 months, didn't really push herself while not with her trainer, and ate what she wanted ( just a little less of it) and didn't track her calories or her macros.

I even thickened the pot by dangling a week vacation out of the country to an island if she lost 30 lbs. I told her I'd also pay for liposuction if she got down under 150 lbs.

I'm told , "it's impossible"

Eh... Whatever. If I can lose 50 lbs she can lose 30. But arguing gets me knowwhere.

Sorry op I got a little off track here/ end rant

So how is my sister-in-law? Tell her her sis is doing great.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
It is her own fault but so many people need more education than they currently have. Just look around this forum at the common myths and misconceptions that abound.

She's not really big on internet forums I dont know if she will. But thanks for your insights. I dont want to come off like I am bossing her around, she looks to me for guidance in this fitness endevor because I spend so much time bull****ting on internet forums LOL.

I think she has this midset that she eats too much, but she needs to eat more of the right things IMO.

She started doing this circuit training because thats what the other women did, but I think she knows now she needs to come over to the other side of the gym if she wants to make any gains LOL.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
It's going to be harder for your wife, to see -BF, than you. Guys have more muscle mass (base) and can burn calories easier.
Women have to pay much closer attention to diet, also. They store up BF easier.

Your wife really has to make up her own mind, work hard, and not use slow progress, as an excuse for quitting.

There is no danger of her quitting, she just was discouraged with her results. I already explained to here that although I am fat in the midsection, my arms and legs are not that fat therefore I am going to see some definition quicker than her. Not to mention just by the sheer fact that I am a man and much larger than her I am going to be using bigger weights starting out... like I told her, my bench sucks for a man of my size I can only do 135 for 11-12 reps, if she were to do the same she would be in the ballpark of a competitive power lifter and have a 1 rep max 1.25 times her body weight.

Not to mention she looks at all the food I eat and is like FUUUUUUUUUUU

billb7581
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
http://dudelol.com/img/what-women-think-will-happen-to-them-if-they-lift-weights-and-what-actually-happens.jpg

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/08/attention-women-heres-proof-that-lifting-heavy-weights-will-not-make-you-big-and-bulky/

ROFL didnt see this.

crupiea
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

true

discdoggie
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM

This post made me sad. :( Bribing with a vacay? So if she stays fat, no vacation this year? A dangerous, invasive surgery such as lipo? 'Twere me, I'd be thinking my spouse was not too into me.

I've never really been badly out of shape, so I don't know how that feels. But I DO know how it feels to have my spouse think I wasn't good enough the way I was. It ****ing sucks. :(

You are doing a lot of thinking for her. In my 23 years of marriage I have learned its best just to offer a suggestion or two and then leave it at that. If she really wants it she will figure it out.

I agree with this.

plumher
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this this exavctly^^^^^^^^^^^^

TheKilboBBC
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Compound lifts for large muscles are def good for women... Burns fat, adds definition, and makes muscles stronger. She can always stop and switch to more cardio/lighter weight if you and her feel she is getting too "East German"!!

I could never figure out wimenz complaining about the lack of e.g. biceps but refusing to do anything to develop those biceps because they "don't want to get big" when they are complaining about the lack of size to begin with!

plumher
02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
This post made me sad. :( Bribing with a vacay? So if she stays fat, no vacation this year? A dangerous, invasive surgery such as lipo? 'Twere me, I'd be thinking my spouse was not too into me.

I've never really been badly out of shape, so I don't know how that feels. But I DO know how it feels to have my spouse think I wasn't good enough the way I was. It ****ing sucks. :(

I agree with this.

Dont get me wrong Disco. Love my wife very much. But....I know how much better I feel having lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and I'm healthier for it. Just want her to feel as good as I do, and if I can reward her efforts with a out-of-country vacation I'll do it. Oh we take vacations, just not elaborate ones. My income has almost doubled in the last 6 years and I've been eyeing a getaway like this.

Not that 24 years with me isnt reason enough, but I think shed enjoy it that much more if she was in better shape.

ANlMAL
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM

this.

freebirdmac
02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Compound lifts for large muscles are def good for women... Burns fat, adds definition, and makes muscles stronger. She can always stop and switch to more cardio/lighter weight if you and her feel she is getting too "East German"!!

I could never figure out wimenz complaining about the lack of e.g. biceps but refusing to do anything to develop those biceps because they "don't want to get big" when they are complaining about the lack of size to begin with!

You know, we get men in here saying they don't want to get big too. Part of it for women is a real fear of getting too muscly. But part for both men and women is not wanting to do the dirty work. It's flat out easier to do light weight circuits and cardio than it is to lift to gain muscle mass. It hurts while we lift, it hurts for days after we lift, we keep going back to hit all muscle groups and make them all hurt, and then turn around and do it all again the following week. Just as the soreness subsides. Muscle comes at a price.

billb7581
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
But my diet is not that great either.

And she asked me what I thought, I thought she should do the same type of routine that I do. I was just making sure it was a good routine for women also, because I wasn't sure, and most of my knowledge comes from the other people here. She said she would try it Friday, better fire up the hot tub LOL.

I'm going to try and get her to committ to 1 month doing what I am doing (12 workouts) and go from there.

MrBertwest
02-03-2012, 12:54 AM
l think you should be happy your wife is working out.many men in the world wish there wife or girl freind would start working out of lose a pound or 3.

billb7581
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
2 workouts completed. She thought she was working hard before LOL. Now she sees the error in her ways.

On a positive note, she is a lot stronger than she or I thought she was with a 50lb bench, 70lb squat and a 90 lb SLDL. She was really not pushing herself before.

I always struggle with my back rounding no SLDL's but she has perfect form. I am about as flexible as a 2x4.

robin4life
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Ok without reading any other replies here is my answer. When she goes to the gym she needs to train. She can hit light weights or heavy weights she can do 5 sets och 3 sets but when she goes out of the gym she has to be tired. If she goes light she needs less rest, more reps and keep going and she cant be afraid of weights, they wont do any harm, body fat is her problem not muscles.
Her body fat stores exactly where it should because she is a woman and that is because of their hormones and that will be the last thing to leave.
In one case ever I was confused because this girl had such a lot of amount muscles on her legs/gluteus so when she stored body fat they looked huge so I told her to train lower body very little and upper more but that was just 1 case I ever seen.

She needs to do 4 things. Make sure she trains hard, eat healthy and be honest to herself. If she does results will come and number 4 Stay motivated!

latebloomingmom
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
OP...have your wife just take a lookie in the fem forums at some of the AVI pics of women who lift...would be great for her inspiration..

pfft...not my AVI...ones that have similar stats to her own.:)

hochspeyer
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Waylon Jennings said,
"The only two things in life that make it worth livin',
Is guitars tuned good and firm-feelin' women".

Weights ftw.

flat6nut
02-07-2012, 07:10 AM
One thing I see every day. The women I have watched for the last 2+ years I have been at the same gyms....they come in and half ass it on the cardio only. Maybe piddle here and there on machines with no specific path. They all look the same. I am sure these same women think they then have the excuse to eat whatever. They have to have a diet plan, and stick to it. Cardio is not a must to lose fat.

My wife has made huge gains in the gym mostly from diet and weight training....not cardio. Too much cardio will take away from muscle gains...period.

discdoggie
02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
. Cardio is not a must to lose fat.

My wife has made huge gains in the gym mostly from diet and weight training....not cardio. Too much cardio will take away from muscle gains...period.

Nope, cardio is not a must to lose fat. But women (people) with more fat to lose can get away with more cardio, and actually benefit from it.

I'm not claiming to be a beast or anything, but last year I was logging an average of 45 miles per week the running trails and I still made respectable gains because my nutrition supported my training.

billb7581
02-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Well we are only a little over a month in. She started working out with me. She sometimes needs motivation and knows I will push her then if she is left to her own devices.

I am doing that Simple Beginner routine written by All Pro. I seem to be getting some good results with it. I'm down 11 or 12 pounds, but I stalled. Either some recompistion is happening or I need to redo my macros. I think its the former because my shirts are a little looser.

She does more cardio than me, but I am going to start doing some post workout, either cardio or core work.

I also need to get a flexible tape and have her stop being a slave to the scale and just look at inches lost.

flat6nut
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Nope, cardio is not a must to lose fat. But women (people) with more fat to lose can get away with more cardio, and actually benefit from it.

I'm not claiming to be a beast or anything, but last year I was logging an average of 45 miles per week the running trails and I still made respectable gains because my nutrition supported my training.

But what you quoted of mine is still fact....yes?

MichaelCJ
02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I hope it works out (haha) well for both of you.

Fortunately, my better half has become interested in weightlifting recently (has been doing cardio, etc., of course) - and without any "prodding" at all! Looking forward to that.

Best of luck. I think it could be a great thing, for any (remotely capable) couple out there. :)

billb7581
02-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I hope it works out (haha) well for both of you.

Fortunately, my better half has become interested in weightlifting recently (has been doing cardio, etc., of course) - and without any "prodding" at all! Looking forward to that.

Best of luck. I think it could be a great thing, for any (remotely capable) couple out there. :)

I think we'll be alright. I'm pretty much at the same stage as she is, it's just that I am a man so I benefit from having more LBM right from jump. It's not like I am pulling 6 plates off the bar when we switch. I just dont use the 45's..I just put a few 10's and the 25 on the outside LOL, I am always calculating in my head the most efficient way to change weights between lifts

flat6nut
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Yes, it is nice to have a spouse with same hobbies. More time together doing what you both enjoy only helps keep you together.

My wife actually takes it more seriously then I do. I cheat more on diet. Or I dont take in enough food.

discdoggie
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
But what you quoted of mine is still fact....yes?

Well...yes. :D

Cardio is absolutely NOT needed for fat loss. But to split hairs, neither is strength training. ;)

And yes. Too much cardio will slow or halt gains in lean mass. BUT, if nutrition supports training, gains can still be made while regularly incorporating cardio into one's routine. Fair? :p

I just am not sure how much fat OP's wife has to lose. If it's signifigant, I would encourage her to continue cardio. Just not depend on it for the be all end all.

Flat6nut, I've seen glimpses of the Mrs. in some of your vids. When is she gonna join the forums? :)

billb7581
02-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Without getting too specific, she has a ways to go, as do I. We both need to cut about 7 percent or so just to get to a basic healthy level

DubfromGA
02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Too big like this?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/Dub007_photo/crossfit/crossfit1.jpg

:)

Glad to hear you are going together.

One of the hardest lessons for me to adhere to is not the working hard in the gym....that's guaranteed when I walk through the gym door. My hardest part is working hard in the kitchen, specifically the final meal of the day.

Balance is good, IMHO....a blend of cardio and weight training fit my needs and support me reaching my goals.