PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on my bench form

HairyScandinavian
02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I realize it's just guessing without a vid, but wondered if there's a common enough issue that the guesses could be correct in this case. Last couple of weeks under the bench I'm getting a little muscle pain in my middle back, almost a cramp feeling, just above where abouts the deadlift DOMS would be but under the shoulder blades. Nothing too outrageous but just something I notice while on the last rep or two and the weight is feeling heavy and it's a little distracting. I don't do a full on powerlifting arch, but I do put some torque on the legs and scoot down on the bench and keep the elbows tucked in with a fairly narrow grip, my middle back is touching the bench but there's not going to be much pressure on it and lower back probably has a gap between it and the bench. Just a shot in the dark I guess, figured I'd throw it out.

j1akey
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I used to get stuff like that once in a while. I see a chiropractor once every couple weeks to keep things in place back there and get a massage every 6 weeks or so and those two things have helped incredibly with weird back pain.

As far as what about your bench specifically might be causing it I couldn't even guess. It might not be a problem with your bench, you might be pinching a nerve when you put pressure on it when you try to lift the weight.

HairyScandinavian
02-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Just got back, didn't have a problem with it today. I need to find a chiro I think anyway because my neck/upper traps are in a permanent state of sore/stiffness for the last 6 months. It's starting to bug me.

dpe94
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I realize it's just guessing without a vid, but wondered if there's a common enough issue that the guesses could be correct in this case. Last couple of weeks under the bench I'm getting a little muscle pain in my middle back, almost a cramp feeling, just above where abouts the deadlift DOMS would be but under the shoulder blades. Nothing too outrageous but just something I notice while on the last rep or two and the weight is feeling heavy and it's a little distracting.

Hard to tell from the written description, but it sounds like something I had/have. I have that same pull/weird feeling just under the lower part of the shoulder blade. Eventually it got sore as hell, and started affecting a lot of my lifts. I took it as a rib injury and lifted light for a few weeks to try to clear it up. I felt it again today so I'm not sure what's going on.

Keep and eye on it, and good luck.

bigtallox
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Just got back, didn't have a problem with it today. I need to find a chiro I think anyway because my neck/upper traps are in a permanent state of sore/stiffness for the last 6 months. It's starting to bug me.

You almost might want to consider a Licensed Massage Therapist. My wife is a LMT, and she helps a lot with stuff like that.

HairyScandinavian
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
You almost might want to consider a Licensed Massage Therapist. My wife is a LMT, and she helps a lot with stuff like that.

Thx Ox, I'd much rather get a painful massage than go to the chiro and it's probably cheaper too.

Marius_Ursus
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't know if it's common, but when I was seeing a chiropractor, he had a massage therapist on staff who always loosened up the muscles before the chiropractor came into the exam room.

bigtallox
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't know if it's common, but when I was seeing a chiropractor, he had a massage therapist on staff who always loosened up the muscles before the chiropractor came into the exam room.

Yeah, some do that, some don't. My chiropractor will do some massage work too.

HairyScandinavian
02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Makes sense, seems that a chiro's work would be made easier if the muscles provide less resistance. I don't know why you're on spread, I haven't rep'd you for ages. :/

Corbi
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Holy crap!!! Ox posts without mentioning strongman!!!! it's a freakin miracle!!!

Just busting your balls Oxy, and I do agree 110% with your suggestion of the massage therapist. I did just that for 6-7 sessions a few months back and it worked wonders, my traps and shoulders were so tight. The therapy helped a ton but now I can feel $hits starting to tighten back up so I need to get back in soon.

BTW for anyone considering this treatment, it's not fun and is actually pretty painful at times.

bigtallox
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Holy crap!!! Ox posts without mentioning strongman!!!! it's a freakin miracle!!!

Oh right, I guess I wasn't clear enough, I meant to say said that my wife being an LMT helps with stuff like that, and that HELPS MY STRONGMAN PERFORMANCE ( well because it does :) )

Iceman1800
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
A foam roller would help this out too