PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please

GrizzlyB
02-02-2012, 04:38 AM
My main problem is motivation. How do you guys stay focused?

I cycle to work everyday, whatever the weather. I work long hours and then cycle home again. During the winter months the commute is horrendous. Freezing cold, gale force winds, snow, rain. I spend all day eating well and looking forward to training, but as soon as I get home all I want to do is wrap up warm, put the heating on and eat cr*p.

I have lurked around here (and other fitness websites) for ages. I've spent years reading up on weights and bodybuilding. I just can't stay motivated. It's really getting me down.

I'm prepared for tough love. I need a HUGE kick up the ass. I need a place to go to to speak with people who have achieved their desired body, or are at least striving toward it. I need this place, and I need all of the advice you good people can bestow on me.

Thanks to all who read this, and huge thanks to anyone that replies.

GrizzlyB

llahhsoj
02-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Welcome to this forum! Setting goals would help your motivation level. You are a big guy, so I would venture to say that some weight loss would help with your energy. You possible could look into a Pre-workout supplement, like Craze and White Flood.

GrizzlyB
02-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the reply.

My main goal is to lose weight. I'm in my 30s and seriously need to shape up. After reading another post on here, I have joined up to livestrong to track my food intake. I would love to lose around 3.5 to 4lbs per week. If only I can motivate myself to pick up the free weights three times a week, it would give my weight loss a huge boost.

I have never heard of the supplement you mention, can I find info for it on this website? I have in the past used various makes of protein supplements, and during my healthier days I tried creatine. I used to be so much better than I am now, but I let is all slide, I got into a rut, and now I am struggling to get out.

Thanks again.

-=FLEX=-
02-02-2012, 05:51 AM
How do you guys stay focused?

Prescription eyeglasses. They work wonders.

mEDo
02-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

My main goal is to lose weight. I'm in my 30s and seriously need to shape up. After reading another post on here, I have joined up to livestrong to track my food intake. I would love to lose around 3.5 to 4lbs per week. If only I can motivate myself to pick up the free weights three times a week, it would give my weight loss a huge boost.

I have never heard of the supplement you mention, can I find info for it on this website? I have in the past used various makes of protein supplements, and during my healthier days I tried creatine. I used to be so much better than I am now, but I let is all slide, I got into a rut, and now I am struggling to get out.

Thanks again.

few notes:
- 4lbs per week is great loss - be sure to eat enough protein and train (relatively) hard in order to lose fat not muscles (although at 4lbs/week, some muscle tissue will be lost)
- supplements are great thing, but real food is real food.
- pre, during and postworkout supplementation is very important, but if you train for example 4 times per week and you drink one PWM shake per workouts, eat 6 meals per day, than you have 42 'normal' meals per week and 4 shakes per week - what is more important 42 normal meals or 4 shakes? :)
check:
http://www.staying-fit.net/articles/2011/pre-during-and-post-workout-nutrition.html

also:
- meal replacement powders can replace your normal meals, which is great on the run.
- join support supplements are important if you have problems with joints
- whey protein should be used only around workouts and maybe for breakfasts with oats
- etc

anyway, keeping food log can help you manage your daily macronutrient and calories in general intake ...

good luck :)

GrizzlyB
02-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone (including flex). I am always so ready for a training session at this time of the day (mid day), but by the time I cycle home then walk through the door (after 6 ish) all of my motivation has seeped away. I work on an industrial estate miles away from any gyms, and there is no where to install a bench at work. I have four kids, so weekends are spent keeping them occupied and entertained.

What are your thoughts on training later in the evening (say 9pm)? I've read that it's not advisable as it interferes with sleep quality, but it would give me suitable time to rest from work and the kids will be in bed so I could do it then. The other alternative would be early morning before I set off for work. The only problem with early mornings would be that it would have to be very early (before six), and I would struggle to eat early enough to fuel the workout.

dazlittle
02-02-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm currently commuting to and from work on a bike, I generally get home, warm up have something to eat then head out to the gym at 8ish. My commute is only 9 or 10 miles each way so only takes about 25 to 30 minutes so its not that hard on my energy levels but I know what you mean it can be bloody hard work when you are battling wind and rain.

At the end of the day if you want something bad enough you will find a way to do it, Training at 9PM has to be better than sitting on the sofa eating crap no matter whay anyone says about it interfering with sleep.

Edited to say its just started snowing here, could be a fun commute home on a road bike!!!!

tsoden
02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
you know what motivates me? Looking at myself in the mirror... there is tough love there for sure - especially when you are not happy with the state of your physique. I see the changes happening, as well as all the flaws, but either way it motivates me to keep at it.

Training times are relative. Go when you feel you can put in 110%. I sometimes regret changing my workout times to 6AM, but i am getting used to the early morning assuming I get enough sleep. To handle my early morning routine, I get up at 5am, dress, eat and head to the gym for an hour. Wrap up and start my work day by 7 or 7:30.