PDA

View Full Version : 67 year old with rotator cuff issues - any tricep exercises possible?

TrexKare
02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, my nana has a torn rotator cuff, and hasn't had surgery on it. Shes wanting to exercise more, but im not too sure what exercises she can do with a torn rotator cuff that isn't a dip (shes lost 70 pounds, but is still overweight, and isn't strong at all, so a dip would be disastrous)

Any ideas? we have 1lb, 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb octagonal dumbbells, and a dumbbell with changeable weight plates.
Plates are: 3lb x 2, 5x4-6, 7.5x2-4, 10x2

It can hold 3-4 plates per side.

So, with these, what exercises can she do for her tricep?

Also had back surgery, diamond push ups are a no-go.

TheIronMaster
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I suggest she consults a physical therapist.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, my nana has a torn rotator cuff, and hasn't had surgery on it. Shes wanting to exercise more, but im not too sure what exercises she can do with a torn rotator cuff that isn't a dip (shes lost 70 pounds, but is still overweight, and isn't strong at all, so a dip would be disastrous)

Any ideas? we have 1lb, 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb octagonal dumbbells, and a dumbbell with changeable weight plates.
Plates are: 3lb x 2, 5x4-6, 7.5x2-4, 10x2

It can hold 3-4 plates per side.

So, with these, what exercises can she do for her tricep?

Also had back surgery, diamond push ups are a no-go.

My advice is that she see a physican in specializing in Sports Medicine (Medicare should pay for it). If it's indeed torn, an MRI and surgery may be indicated. A physical therapist will only advise her of stretching exercises that can be found on the internet. The stretches that I do as preventative are external and internal rotations, shoulder abductions to 75 degrees and shoulder flexions to 75 degrees. These can be performed with light dumbells. Keep the weights light and the reps high.
Cable Shoulder Flexion

TrexKare
02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
My advice is that she see a physican in specializing in Sports Medicine (Medicare should pay for it). If it's indeed torn, an MRI and surgery may be indicated. A physical therapist will only advise her of stretching exercises that can be found on the internet. The stretches that I do as preventative are external and internal rotations, shoulder abductions to 75 degrees and shoulder flexions to 75 degrees. These can be performed with light dumbells. Keep the weights light and the reps high.
Cable Shoulder Flexion
It is torn, surgery isn't an option due to her refusal