PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering ditching Diet Soda, opions requested

Getsum
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I've read some reports/articles that say diet soda has been linked to type 2 diabetes and I've been a type 2 diabetic for close to 16 years now. Then I recently read another article stating "Diet Soda Does Not Appear to Boost Type 2 Diabetes Risk" but I'm still considering ditching it all the same, or cutting back. I have a pretty nasty diet Pepsi habit and can easily drink 4 to 6 cans a day. I'm not sure if it's hurting me but I don't really think it's helping either. Water might be the better option. Other than diet Pepsi, the only things I drink is milk, crystal light, coffee and water. I'll have a low sodium V8 once in a while as well as the occasional alcoholic beverage when we go out.

The new study confirms that it's really differences between people who choose to drink artificially-sweetened beverages – rather than the diet drinks themselves – that is related to type 2 diabetes, endocrinologist Rebecca Brown of the National Institutes of Health told Reuters Health. "People who are at risk for diabetes or obesity ... those may be the people who are more likely to choose artificial sweeteners because they may be more likely to be dieting," said Brown, who did not participate in the current study.

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/coverage-in-the-media/nutrition-diabetes-diet-soda-hu/index.html

Source: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE73E4YH20110415?irpc=932

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732

I also did an advanced search to get Alan Aragon's opinion on diet soda and like everything else, it would seem to be alright in moderation.

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinions as well. Doesn't need to backed up by any science or articles, I'm just curious how people feel about diet soda.

So first off, what's your own views on diet soda? Secondly, what would you consider a moderate amount? I'm figuring one or two a day like the articles state would be OK but then, would it be better to ditch it altogether?

Thanks.

chodan9
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
liek Aragon says
fine in moderation,
I had a hiatal hernia repaired a few years ago and can no longer burp (belch) very easily.
so I have had to pretty much ditch soda's of all kinds most of the time.
I dont really miss them though.

bigtallox
So first off, what's your own views on diet soda?

They're bad, but probably won't inhibit bodybuilding progress very much.

what would you consider a moderate amount? I'm figuring one or two a day like the articles state would be OK but then, would it be better to ditch it altogether?

For me there wasn't any moderate amount. If I had one, I'd invariable eventually have too many. I was adicted to diet coke, but I haven't had one in about 9 months. I no longer consume any artifical sweetners, nor carbinated drinks.

Good luck.

MrDude1
what you have to remember with EVERY article written by a lay-person based on a scientific paper: Correlation does not imply causation

what ALOT of these studys "show" is that people with unhealthy habits.. are unhealthy.... if you were to poll people for any habit known to be done by unhealthy people... like sleep less, drink soda, enjoy cake, etc..... it would correlate with being overweight, lethargic, lazy.. or even unemployed...

so first... you can probably ignore all the crap you read about it causing cancer/aids/diabites/kitten-deaths....

second.. theres only one real reason i severly cut back on my diet pepsi habit... the acid in the soda softens your teeth... im lucky enough to have perfect teeth without ever having braces.. I dont eat much sugar, etc... but over the years, the grooves in my teeth get deeper, as if i ground my teeth alot (i dont)... what it turned out to be, is how i swish the soda in my mouth and drink it... throughout the day.. it really softens the enamel of the teeth. you would think this would be mentioned more then anything else, but its really not.
so between that and the fact that i used to spend dollars a day on soda and like saving the money.... i stopped having more then some here and there when im out.

keyboardworkout
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I do my best to avoid all added sweeteners whether they be sugar, HFCS or the artificial ones. Doing so helped me lean out.

The only exception is the stevia in my protein powder and sometimes I'll add a little honey to my oatmeal.

litljay
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't think it can hurt cutting it out all together. I rarely drink any soda anymore, and I used to drink gallons of the regular stuff daily.

There is nothing in it that is "nutritious".

http://www.livestrong.com/article/189981-the-ingredients-in-diet-pepsi/

RADRYAN
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Arnold Palmer Zero for dayzzzzzzzz
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/514638b.jpg

MuscleTechMarc
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
If you are looking for optimal results in muscle growth and development - ditch the habit!
Muscles feed on water and uses it to grow not pepsi!

-=FLEX=-
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Personally I don't drink it.

I drink beer instead.

Getsum
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
liek Aragon says
fine in moderation,
I had a hiatal hernia repaired a few years ago and can no longer burp (belch) very easily.
so I have had to pretty much ditch soda's of all kinds most of the time.
I dont really miss them though.

Cool, thanks man...I'm leaning toward ditching them.

They're bad, but probably won't inhibit bodybuilding progress very much.

For me there wasn't any moderate amount. If I had one, I'd invariable eventually have too many. I was adicted to diet coke, but I haven't had one in about 9 months. I no longer consume any artifical sweetners, nor carbinated drinks.

Good luck.

Thanks BTO. I'm worried about the same, if they're around then it's to easy to grab one.

what you have to remember with EVERY article written by a lay-person based on a scientific paper: Correlation does not imply causation

what ALOT of these studys "show" is that people with unhealthy habits.. are unhealthy.... if you were to poll people for any habit known to be done by unhealthy people... like sleep less, drink soda, enjoy cake, etc..... it would correlate with being overweight, lethargic, lazy.. or even unemployed...

so first... you can probably ignore all the crap you read about it causing cancer/aids/diabites/kitten-deaths....

second.. theres only one real reason i severly cut back on my diet pepsi habit... the acid in the soda softens your teeth... im lucky enough to have perfect teeth without ever having braces.. I dont eat much sugar, etc... but over the years, the grooves in my teeth get deeper, as if i ground my teeth alot (i dont)... what it turned out to be, is how i swish the soda in my mouth and drink it... throughout the day.. it really softens the enamel of the teeth. you would think this would be mentioned more then anything else, but its really not.
so between that and the fact that i used to spend dollars a day on soda and like saving the money.... i stopped having more then some here and there when im out.

Thanks. That's what I got out of the Harvard article and it makes sense.

I do my best to avoid all added sweeteners whether they be sugar, HFCS or the artificial ones. Doing so helped me lean out.

The only exception is the stevia in my protein powder and sometimes I'll add a little honey to my oatmeal.

Thanks. I've heard good things about Stevia but I've been using Splenda in my oatmeal, is Splenda bad as well?

I don't think it can hurt cutting it out all together. I rarely drink any soda anymore, and I used to drink gallons of the regular stuff daily.

There is nothing in it that is "nutritious".

http://www.livestrong.com/article/189981-the-ingredients-in-diet-pepsi/

Thanks man, interesting.

Hmm, never heard of it. Might need to try some.

If you are looking for optimal results in muscle growth and development - ditch the habit!
Muscles feed on water and uses it to grow not pepsi!

Yep, I'm leaning that way.

Personally I don't drink it.

I drink beer instead.

lol, an easy transition if I ever seen one! :D

cowboybiker
02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I get 1 soda a week.
I'll be damned if its gonna be diet.

ArchAngel'73
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
My laymans POV...1 week 1 study says its bad, next week there's 1 that says it does no harm. Been going on with this cycle for over a decade.
My take...sweeteners are made primarily out of 1 amino acid...how phuckin' bad that can be??

Ok, it causes an insulin spike. Big deal. No harm in an insulin spike if there's no excess cals to store as fat.

I drink plenty of liquids throughout the day, hydration is of no concern to me.

I've gotten rid of the binge eating, no more sh*tty foods, and changed my life completely around to do this bodybuilding thang.
You will have to pry my Coke Zero or Diet Pepsi from my cold dead hands.

If I'm wrong, you will be prying sooner than later. :o

winnicandle
02-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm for anything in moderation....but if you won't miss it you certainly can't go wrong cutting chemical junk food out of your diet?

I used to drink Diet Coke all day but quit it cold and went to just water. I tried a Diet Coke about 6 months later and it tasted like crap.

You likely won't miss it one bit.

MrDude1
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM

they also sell the little "stick" powder packs you can just dump in your water bottle.. i probably drink 10 of them a week...

jdtemple
02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I used to drink tons of the stuff. I tried eliminating it completely for several months and discovered that carbonated beverages were the source of my recurring severe gas pain. We're talking about doubled over, beads of sweat on your forehead, gas medication won't fix it, gas pain.

Now, I drink 3-4 a week, and never more than 2 in one day. Now I don't have any of the gas problems. Moderation is key.

If I'm craving something flavored to drink, I get some Crystal Light.

drudixon
Diet soda tastes nasty.

Beer is way better!

Jtbny
I use diet soda ( coke zero ) as a way to not over eat or if I'm craving sweets. I grab some extra sugar free bubble gum and down a can...or two and I'm set. I could give it up though. What I can't give up are those monster low carb energy drinks.

Good luck on your no diet soda goals in 2012! You're a better man than I. :)

sok454
they also sell the little "stick" powder packs you can just dump in your water bottle.. i probably drink 10 of them a week...

Throw in Whisky and you have a John Daly.

tsoden
02-01-2012, 01:37 PM
If you want a fizzy drink, I highly recommend Perrier... or some sort of carbonated mineral water. I discovered Perrier flavoured with grapefruit. It only has a hint of taste, but really there is NOTHING in it. Try it!

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/Perrier_Plage_4x3.jpg

tsoden
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I use diet soda ( coke zero ) as a way to not over eat or if I'm craving sweets. I grab some extra sugar free bubble gum and down a can...or two and I'm set. I could give it up though. What I can't give up are those monster low carb energy drinks.

Interesting that you use this to curb your sweet tooth... i just read an article stating that diet soda for most will make them CRAVE sweets. Weird...

jdtemple
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Interesting that you use this to curb your sweet tooth... i just read an article stating that diet soda for most will make them CRAVE sweets. Weird...Doesn't have that effect on me. It actually suppresses my appetite.

Jtbny
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Interesting that you use this to curb your sweet tooth... i just read an article stating that diet soda for most will make them CRAVE sweets. Weird...

Maybe the gum with the soda does it..who knows. Or maybe not everyone is the same and most studies done about this stuff are garbage ;)

MrDude1
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM

what i find interesting is i drank soda for my whole life until 2004, then for the last 8 years i have chugged diet soda, usually liters at a time..
i NEVER crave sweets... not candy or chocolate or cake or whatever else fattys "crave"...

if anything i crave hot wings. occasionally a beer... steak, burgers, BBQ.... you know, greasy meat.
sodas dont make you crave other foods. your mind does.

ChocoChick
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't trust aspartame enough to drink it more than 1-2 times a month, usually when I'm out. I do drink stevia-sweetened lemonade (made at home) daily, and I feel fine about that.

Old-Time-Lifter
02-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Drinking a can of this right now. ;)

Generally I stick to coffee or maybe one of the Kroeger brand zero calorie vitamin waters.

whatevergirl
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Other than a cup of coffee in the a.m., and supplemental shakes, etc...I pretty much stick with water. To me, nothing quenches quite like it. On occasion, I'll have a diet coke. Rare. I just never found sodas to be very quenching/satisfying. (they can be good for headaches though in a pinch) ;)

Frnkd
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
If you want a fizzy drink, I highly recommend Perrier... or some sort of carbonated mineral water. I discovered Perrier flavoured with grapefruit. It only has a hint of taste, but really there is NOTHING in it. Try it!

Perrier taste like carbonated water dipped in rusted metal.....isn't Perrier so 70's? Like Tab.lol
When I wanted a diet soda I drank diet pepsi. I think its sweeter than diet coke, IMO. However Coke zero came along and I drink that if Pepsi isn't available.

Interstingly, after I started drinking water that I flavor with powdered packets of flavored green tea, my craving for diet drinks have gone down substantially. It's suppose to have some herbal qualities too.

On a side note: If you ever want to stop drinking diet soda drink those that have passed their expiration date- usually the ones on sale- all the flavor have disappeared and all you taste is carbonation. Kinda like Perrier, IMO. LOL

illriginalized
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Just quit soda in general man.. that ****'s poison.

Phattso
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Apples are very anabolic and a great alternative.

Brackneyc
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I dropped all sodas on May 17, 2009. Do not miss.

latebloomingmom
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I drink:
coffee
tea (green and black varieties)
coke zero
monster low carbs
I have tried me on caffeine and me off of it...on does less damage
not to me, to those around me;)

j2048
02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I used to go through 2L bottle of regular Coke a day. Then I decided it's too excessive, so I limited myself to two 700-something ml bottles / day :) To cut calories I stopped drinking coke completely for a few months and now I'm ok with a can every every 2, 3 weeks. I substitute with carbonated water and I'm happy with that. Fortunately I can't stand diet stuff so never got hooked up on that.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Benchmark in my log notes that I also dropped all sodas on Father's Day in 2009 and all beer a year later.

67fastback
02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Good that you're looking at your food intake.

Personally I'm BAD as far as diet soft drinks.

I was just reading that most premade meals, processed, packaged foods, and sweetened drinks contain high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), along with sugar. This is a highly processed sweetner scientifically linked to a lot of serious illnesses.
It's just not so easy to make a clear choice.

Hopefully this tear I can wean myself off the diet pop. It's kind of my last bad habit.

Corbi
02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I was a regular soda addict, then moved onto diet soda and was drinking way too much of that crap. Quit cold turkey at least 5 yrs ago and honestly don't miss it one bit. I do indulge in the rootbeer at A&W however but that's very rare we even go there. Tried to drink a coke at the airport in Mexico City last year, funny I didn't remember it being so thick and syrupy. I actually took 2 sips and tossed the rest in the garbage.

Now i'm hooked on Nestea, Arizona tea and the Arnold Palmer tea, probably no better for me in the long run.

x-trainer ben
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I've read some reports/articles that say diet soda has been linked to type 2 diabetes and I've been a type 2 diabetic for close to 16 years now. Then I recently read another article stating "Diet Soda Does Not Appear to Boost Type 2 Diabetes Risk" but I'm still considering ditching it all the same, or cutting back. I have a pretty nasty diet Pepsi habit and can easily drink 4 to 6 cans a day. I'm not sure if it's hurting me but I don't really think it's helping either. Water might be the better option. Other than diet Pepsi, the only things I drink is milk, crystal light, coffee and water. I'll have a low sodium V8 once in a while as well as the occasional alcoholic beverage when we go out.

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/coverage-in-the-media/nutrition-diabetes-diet-soda-hu/index.html

Source: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE73E4YH20110415?irpc=932

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732

I also did an advanced search to get Alan Aragon's opinion on diet soda and like everything else, it would seem to be alright in moderation.

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinions as well. Doesn't need to backed up by any science or articles, I'm just curious how people feel about diet soda.

So first off, what's your own views on diet soda? Secondly, what would you consider a moderate amount? I'm figuring one or two a day like the articles state would be OK but then, would it be better to ditch it altogether?

Thanks.

Ditch it, no seriously, get rid of it!

Ignore the politics and just read the timeline, then make your informed decision based on facts not opinions, good luck.

http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm
+
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexclusive/exclusive15.htm

MrDude1
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
out of curiosity and boredom (working late) i just got a diet pepsi out of the vending machine.
still tastes just like i remember it.. but to be honest i think i would have rather have tried the green tea with lemon that was in the machine. havent tried it yet... Lipton brand I think.

Getsum
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I get 1 soda a week.
I'll be damned if its gonna be diet.

1 a week doesn't seem like much at all.

My laymans POV...1 week 1 study says its bad, next week there's 1 that says it does no harm. Been going on with this cycle for over a decade.
My take...sweeteners are made primarily out of 1 amino acid...how phuckin' bad that can be??

Ok, it causes an insulin spike. Big deal. No harm in an insulin spike if there's no excess cals to store as fat.

I drink plenty of liquids throughout the day, hydration is of no concern to me.

I've gotten rid of the binge eating, no more sh*tty foods, and changed my life completely around to do this bodybuilding thang.
You will have to pry my Coke Zero or Diet Pepsi from my cold dead hands.

If I'm wrong, you will be prying sooner than later. :o

lol, I hear you man.

I'm for anything in moderation....but if you won't miss it you certainly can't go wrong cutting chemical junk food out of your diet?

I used to drink Diet Coke all day but quit it cold and went to just water. I tried a Diet Coke about 6 months later and it tasted like crap.

You likely won't miss it one bit.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for.

Hmm, I've seen the single serving deals for crystal light, I'll look of them.

I used to drink tons of the stuff. I tried eliminating it completely for several months and discovered that carbonated beverages were the source of my recurring severe gas pain. We're talking about doubled over, beads of sweat on your forehead, gas medication won't fix it, gas pain.

Now, I drink 3-4 a week, and never more than 2 in one day. Now I don't have any of the gas problems. Moderation is key.

If I'm craving something flavored to drink, I get some Crystal Light.

Yeah, same here. Crystal light isn't bad tasting at all.

Diet soda tastes nasty.

Beer is way better!

lol, no doubt.

Thanks. I never really crave sweets myself.

Throw in Whisky and you have a John Daly.

lol

Something about that advertisement makes me want to try Perrier.

I don't trust aspartame enough to drink it more than 1-2 times a month, usually when I'm out. I do drink stevia-sweetened lemonade (made at home) daily, and I feel fine about that.

Thanks CC. Hmm, another person using stevia...I'm going to try that out.

Drinking a can of this right now. ;)

Generally I stick to coffee or maybe one of the Kroeger brand zero calorie vitamin waters.

Hmm, another option, thanks OTL.

Other than a cup of coffee in the a.m., and supplemental shakes, etc...I pretty much stick with water. To me, nothing quenches quite like it. On occasion, I'll have a diet coke. Rare. I just never found sodas to be very quenching/satisfying. (they can be good for headaches though in a pinch) ;)

Yeah, I just down a diet soda and can still be thirsty.

Just quit soda in general man.. that ****'s poison.

Thanks.

Apples are very anabolic and a great alternative.

So I've heard. I like apples myself.

Good deal man!

I drink:
coffee
tea (green and black varieties)
coke zero
monster low carbs
I have tried me on caffeine and me off of it...on does less damage
not to me, to those around me;)

Those monster low carbs are pretty good. I was a little concerned about the caffeine but I'll still have coffee or tea.

I used to go through 2L bottle of regular Coke a day. Then I decided it's too excessive, so I limited myself to two 700-something ml bottles / day :) To cut calories I stopped drinking coke completely for a few months and now I'm ok with a can every every 2, 3 weeks. I substitute with carbonated water and I'm happy with that. Fortunately I can't stand diet stuff so never got hooked up on that.

Good deal man.

Benchmark in my log notes that I also dropped all sodas on Father's Day in 2009 and all beer a year later.

Good deal.

Good that you're looking at your food intake.

Personally I'm BAD as far as diet soft drinks.

I was just reading that most premade meals, processed, packaged foods, and sweetened drinks contain high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), along with sugar. This is a highly processed sweetner scientifically linked to a lot of serious illnesses.
It's just not so easy to make a clear choice.

Hopefully this tear I can wean myself off the diet pop. It's kind of my last bad habit.

Yeah, it's my last bad habit as well.

I was a regular soda addict, then moved onto diet soda and was drinking way too much of that crap. Quit cold turkey at least 5 yrs ago and honestly don't miss it one bit. I do indulge in the rootbeer at A&W however but that's very rare we even go there. Tried to drink a coke at the airport in Mexico City last year, funny I didn't remember it being so thick and syrupy. I actually took 2 sips and tossed the rest in the garbage.

Now i'm hooked on Nestea, Arizona tea and the Arnold Palmer tea, probably no better for me in the long run.

I like those Arizona teas, I'm going to look around for the Arnold Palmer teas.

Ditch it, no seriously, get rid of it!

Ignore the politics and just read the timeline, then make your informed decision based on facts not opinions, good luck.

http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm
+
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexclusive/exclusive15.htm

Thanks for the links and comments man.

Thanks for all the replies people, I wasn't expecting this to be so one sided against diet sodas. If I am crazy for giving it up, at least I'll be in good company!

JohnDavis111
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
You hear so many conflicting things about diet sodas. Truth is if I get to wanting something besides water i grab a diet orange sunkist maybe like once a week but I try to avoid them. Thanks for this thread though I was interested in this topic too.

tsoden
02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Perrier taste like carbonated water dipped in rusted metal.....isn't Perrier so 70's? Like Tab.lol
When I wanted a diet soda I drank diet pepsi. I think its sweeter than diet coke, IMO. However Coke zero came along and I drink that if Pepsi isn't available.

Interstingly, after I started drinking water that I flavor with powdered packets of flavored green tea, my craving for diet drinks have gone down substantially. It's suppose to have some herbal qualities too.

On a side note: If you ever want to stop drinking diet soda drink those that have passed their expiration date- usually the ones on sale- all the flavor have disappeared and all you taste is carbonation. Kinda like Perrier, IMO. LOL

i should neg you for that comment. Perrier is great!

herbal smerbal.....

Kraken
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Fruit Punch crystal light...nom nom nom!!

My water intake doubles for the day when I put crsytal light in my water. I started putting it in my gym water too, and I went from 3/4 of a bottle of water to 1.5-2 bottles.

I drink 1-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and make myself drink a bottle of water if I go passed two, and at least one Diet Mtn Dew during the day.

Frnkd
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM
i should neg you for that comment. Perrier is great!

herbal smerbal.....

Well, maybe with the slight flavor of fruit that has been added, I'm sure it is absolutely delicious and a thirst quencher, but by itself it almost compares to a tonic water only without the medicinal additive of quinine.

Which btw is good for leg cramps

Here's a thought, I might add some of that flavored green tea packs to a bottle of Perrier. srs. I get the benefit of an herbal blend and the tingle and tickle of carboned water.

TS I'll try it and post my findings.

Frnkd
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM

My water intake doubles for the day when I put crsytal light in my water. I started putting it in my gym water too, and I went from 3/4 of a bottle of water to 1.5-2 bottles.

I drink 1-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and make myself drink a bottle of water if I go passed two, and at least one Diet Mtn Dew during the day.

Similar thing happened to me with my flavored green tea packets, a substantial increase in water consumption plus the benefits of green tea. Maybe that's why my craving for a diet pepsi has been curbed.

flat6nut
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Before I started lifting I drank about 14 Dr Peppers a day. I stopped the day I started lifting. I now only drink one NOS in the morning if its too warm to drink coffee. Otherwise...no soda for me. I feel so much better. The only thing I have a hard time keeping my hands off of is brewed sweet tea.

Dr.Griefo
02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
OMG to me real science is no different then broscience.

Diet drinks are bad, diet drinks are good. Take a multi, don't take a multi. Take a baby aspirin a day, nope next study says bad idea. I read an article today on ctvnews.net that moderation doesn't work as a diet only requires 2200 cals and a chocalate bar every now and then, adds a serious chunk of cals.

Real science is bro science by geeks!

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20120131/everything-in-moderation-not-for-health-author-says-120201/

Jtbny
02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Before I started lifting I drank about 14 Dr Peppers a day. I stopped the day I started lifting. I now only drink one NOS in the morning if its too warm to drink coffee. Otherwise...no soda for me. I feel so much better. The only thing I have a hard time keeping my hands off of is brewed sweet tea.

Chik fila sweet tea is addicting btw

mslman71
02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I go through phases. I get sick of diet coke and just drink water and then go back. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the way I felt or my performance in the gym.

DocTats
02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Real science is a process....you make an observation, create a solid hypothesis, design experiments with proper control that will support or dispel your hypothesis, gather data, draw conclusions that may or may not support your hypothesis and go on from there. Few people really know how rigorous real science is.

Bro science to the best of my knowledge is.... well I don't know what it is. Seems like it's picking and choosing stuff from either reputable or unreputable sources, getting some anecdotal evidence with no real controls and probably ignoring and not addressing contradicting evidence and passing it off as facts

mickdoo
02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I like Dr Diet pepper 2 a day.

Kraken
02-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Here in Texas, apparently is required to keep Diet Dr Pepper in stock everywhere and for everyone to drink it. I really don't get it. lol

flat6nut
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Chik fila sweet tea is addicting btw

Ever try Publix sweet tea?.....just like grandma used to make

Jtbny
02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Ever try Publix sweet tea?.....just like grandma used to make

Oh yes...good stuff!

Ed_Hitchens
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Already been said but it bears repeating: all sodas are junk. There is nothing beneficial (except the water content) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if massive intakes of artificial sweeteners like aspartame and the other chemicals in sodas are someday conclusively linked to disease.

I used to suck back Pepsi and Coke all the time but gave it up a few years back. Don't even miss 'em. I'm so used to water now as my main beverage (aside from coffee, tea, and the occasional beer) that even a sip of soda tastes so sweet it almost makes me ill. Donotwant.jpg.

Frnkd
02-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, maybe with the slight flavor of fruit that has been added, I'm sure it is absolutely delicious and a thirst quencher, but by itself it almost compares to a tonic water only without the medicinal additive of quinine.

Which btw is good for leg cramps

Here's a thought, I might add some of that flavored green tea packs to a bottle of Perrier. srs. I get the benefit of an herbal blend and the tingle and tickle of carboned water.

TS I'll try it and post my findings.

Okay I have tried it.........and my conclusion is....by itself, "its an acquired taste I'm sure and the mineral taste ( I did describe it as tasting like a piece of rusted metal) is not as 'minerally" as I remembered that last time I tried it, many years ago, so I take back the rusted metal taste and say it taste like a diet soda that has lost all its flavor and only the carbonation is left.

I added the flavored green tea packet and I will say I like it. The carbonation does add a refreshing fizz to the beverage. So I can conclude that the flavored Perrier is probably more to my liking than the original.

MrDude1
02-02-2012, 06:56 AM
OMG to me real science is no different then broscience.

Diet drinks are bad, diet drinks are good. Take a multi, don't take a multi. Take a baby aspirin a day, nope next study says bad idea. I read an article today on ctvnews.net that moderation doesn't work as a diet only requires 2200 cals and a chocalate bar every now and then, adds a serious chunk of cals.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20120131/everything-in-moderation-not-for-health-author-says-120201/

the reality is this.
YOU are not reading "real science"... you're reading an article, usually written by someone that is NOT a scientist...they just reference science. and that person usually has an agenda... and for that matter they probably didnt do well in science in school.
real scientific papers are boring to read....

Real science is a process....you make an observation, create a solid hypothesis, design experiments with proper control that will support or dispel your hypothesis, gather data, draw conclusions that may or may not support your hypothesis and go on from there. Few people really know how rigorous real science is.

Bro science to the best of my knowledge is.... well I don't know what it is. Seems like it's picking and choosing stuff from either reputable or unreputable sources, getting some anecdotal evidence with no real controls and probably ignoring and not addressing contradicting evidence and passing it off as facts

exactly.

Dr.Griefo
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
the reality is this.
YOU are not reading "real science"... you're reading an article, usually written by someone that is NOT a scientist...they just reference science. and that person usually has an agenda... and for that matter they probably didnt do well in science in school.
real scientific papers are boring to read....

exactly.

Mr. Dude and DocTats,

I am quite aware what "real science" is and I am quite aware that funding for research and / or tenure is closely linked to the researcher finding "significant" results. Not to many reports come out that such and such spent 5 years only to find that they wasted 5 years of their lives. I am also acutely aware of how statistics can be manipulated (i.e. collapse categories, change the test stat, use of power analysis, mined, etc to come up with significance where there is no significance.

Funding or University tenure is based on published results and to be this way, the research needs to be signicant.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/08/scientific_fraud_and_journal_article_ret.php

I challenge that any scientific study that finds statistical sigificance i.e. benefits of baby aspirin)has it's polar opposite (i.e. taking a baby aspirin a day is bad for you).

Google the EPA and climate change if you really want to see what real science has cost us...

bigtallox
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Well, yeah, kind of. But real science is supposed to be repeatable, peer reviewed, etc... But the problem start when people have their own agenda, and try to use bad science to support it.

cactusflower
02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I was addicted to diet pop (diet pepsi specifically). It took me forever to kick it but I finally did. Since then I haven't been getting as many headaches...and I used to get them ALL THE TIME as in daily several times a day. I haven't increased my water intake or anything but I knew going through a case in less than a work week wasn't good.

ironwill2008
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I have a pretty nasty diet Pepsi habit and can easily drink 4 to 6 cans a day. I'm not sure if it's hurting me but I don't really think it's helping either.

I don't have a dog in this hunt myself, G; I'm totally indifferent to sodas, diet or otherwise, and might drink 1 or 2 in a year. Not due to any health concern from sugar/fructose/artificial sweetners; it's just that I don't care about sodas.

Like you, I haven't come across any definitive studies, either pro or con, on this issue.

JMO, but 4-6 cans of anything is probably a bit too much. Why not try just cutting back by a can or so a week, and gradually wean yourself off of them?

Hard to beat good old H2O.

BloodySalad
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm a Coke Zero fan. I say "I am" I guess it's more I was.
Two or three months ago, I was drinking at least 4 or 5 cans a day. Then, without any reasoning, I just cut down to 1 or 2. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened. Now, I'm down to 1 can every couple of weeks. Nothing to do with health reasons or anything - after cutting down, I simply forget it's in the fridge. I've had the same case of 15 cans for over a month now.
I had to make a long car trip today and decided that I wanted to take a can with me but forgot. It wasn't until I was 100 miles down the road that I remembered. That never would have happened a few months ago.
All I drink now is coffee, green tea and water. I guess those drinks have become such a standard part of my routine, they've simply pushed the Cokes out of my mind.

Getsum
02-03-2012, 07:28 AM

Fruit Punch crystal light tastes pretty good.

yep, diet Dr. Pepper is my other soda of choice.

I go through phases. I get sick of diet coke and just drink water and then go back. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the way I felt or my performance in the gym.

Cool, thanks man.

I was addicted to diet pop (diet pepsi specifically). It took me forever to kick it but I finally did. Since then I haven't been getting as many headaches...and I used to get them ALL THE TIME as in daily several times a day. I haven't increased my water intake or anything but I knew going through a case in less than a work week wasn't good.

Thanks CF.

I don't have a dog in this hunt myself, G; I'm totally indifferent to sodas, diet or otherwise, and might drink 1 or 2 in a year. Not due to any health concern from sugar/fructose/artificial sweetners; it's just that I don't care about sodas.

Like you, I haven't come across any definitive studies, either pro or con, on this issue.

JMO, but 4-6 cans of anything is probably a bit too much. Why not try just cutting back by a can or so a week, and gradually wean yourself off of them?

Hard to beat good old H2O.

Thanks Bill.

I went all day yesterday without one and it was easier than I thought it would be. I think I'm going to ride this out for a month or two and see how it goes. I went through a lot of water yesterday, more than usual and I already drink a lot of water. Hmm, I had my morning glass of 2% milk with my protein before heading out to work, a v8 with my eggs at work, two cups of coffee and the rest was water throughout the day and evening.

flairon
02-03-2012, 07:33 AM
I rarely have a soda now. Maybe once a week, if that. Usually just water. I have tried this water additive called Mio that seems pretty good.

fastnoypi
02-03-2012, 07:53 AM
we used to carbonate apple juice and punch with our seltzer bottle. Seemed to be a hit at our parties for the kids and their mom's that didnt allow them to drink soda. Might be an good option for the OP if he wants to get away from HFCS and/or other things in soda but likes the carbonation factor.

I like some of the crystal lights and some of the store brand "gatorade" powders that makes a quart. They dont taste as sweet as the real thing which is fine to me.
Regular and green iced teas are always a winner.

2BLAZERS
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I never drink pop at home because my wife will NOT buy it. I never buy pop at stores, and we have no pop machine at work so I will only get a pop once in a while when we are eating out. Usually Diet Dr Pepper or Dr Pepper. So maybe 2-4 a month at the most since we don't eat out much.