PDA

View Full Version : Debunking Paleo: The case for Vegetarianism

DSUP
02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I found this essay. The writing is sophmoric and a little whacky but I thought it presented an interesting perspective. I love meat and eat lots of it but I'm always willing to accept that I may be wrong.

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm#.TylYB58RnBM.facebook

mslman71
02-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I found this essay. The writing is sophmoric and a little whacky but I thought it presented an interesting perspective. I love meat and eat lots of it but I'm always willing to accept that I may be wrong.

He sorta conveniently leaves out any mention of omnivores. Animals are meant to eat whatever they can to survive. The fact that we can eat and digest meat and derive nutrients from it means that we are meant to eat it. I'm a vegetarian too, btw.

My suggestion for this guy is to drop the 'celestialhealing' domain name. I'd find it hard to take any article contained within it too seriously.

acrawlingchaos
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
This is probably the saddest article I have ever read in regards to support for a naturally vegan human. It relies purely on a causation = correlation basis.

Humans are both and neither carnivore, herbivore and omnivore. What we really are naturally, is opportunistic feeders. Our bodies are able to process a wide range of food types and this is an excellent evolutionary trait. There is, however, evidence to suggest that creatine had a strong hand in developing our superior intellect, with meat being the only readily available and abundant form.

drudixon
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM

His examples are pretty weak? Well, humans have been using spears for over 100,000 years. Meat eaters don't have well developed salivary glands? Look at my dog's drool, I beg to differ. Long intestinal tract? Well, we eat both, so nothing there. Strong hydrochloric acid? Nothing there either. If ours was as strong as carnivores, we wouldn't be able to eat grains at all due to how acid affects grains. Lack of sharp teeth? The steak I had last night disagrees. His argument about cooking is wrong as well.

I don't care what people eat, but when they come out and preach some agenda to justify what they themselves do it irritates me. There's little difference between the guy writing that article and the Sunday morning Tel-evangelist who says I'm going to hell.

GreenWave1
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
The Straight Dope did an article debunking the whole 'humans aren't meat eaters' position.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/674/are-humans-meat-eaters-or-vegetarians-by-nature

Black Sunday
02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Author claims humans have no sharp front teeth, like herbivores. I wonder why they call them incisors and canine on the charts.

Claims that rotting meet stays in the intestines for weeks or even years. Didn't look very hard, but i can't seem to find evidence supporting this anywhere except for websites devoted to colonic cleansing. A little phospho soda and water and my intestines were clean enough for my resection.

drudixon
02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Author claims humans have no sharp front teeth, like herbivores. I wonder why they call them incisors and canine on the charts.

Claims that rotting meet stays in the intestines for weeks or even years. Didn't look very hard, but i can't seem to find evidence supporting this anywhere except for websites devoted to colonic cleansing. A little phospho soda and water and my intestines were clean enough for my resection.

dare I ask what a "resection" is?

geer_matt
02-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Your'e either on top of the food chain, or your not.

DSUP
02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
The Straight Dope did an article debunking the whole 'humans aren't meat eaters' position.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/674/are-humans-meat-eaters-or-vegetarians-by-nature

Nice link. Thanks.

Black Sunday
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
dare I ask what a "resection" is?

I had rectal cancer. They took out about 12-14 inches of my colon and reconnected it. To listen to these guys talk you'd need a fire hose to flush out the system. A little phospho soda and water and I was clean enough for surgery.

Minotaur
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I had rectal cancer. They took out about 12-14 inches of my colon and reconnected it. To listen to these guys talk you'd need a fire hose to flush out the system. A little phospho soda and water and I was clean enough for surgery.

What, no Go-Lightly? :eek: My partner had a 13 cm resection for diverticulitis in 1996. He was given Go-Lightly. The surgeon said she'd never seen a cleaner colon.

Crap about colon cleansing is crap. The body can't store more than a pound or two of solid waste (except Elvis who had 40 lbs of fecal matter impacted :rolleyes: ).

Btw, for anyone who cares, the bulk of the bulk is dead intestinal flora, not undigested food.

Black Sunday
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
What, no Go-Lightly? :eek: My partner had a 13 cm resection for diverticulitis in 1996. He was given Go-Lightly. The surgeon said she'd never seen a cleaner colon.

Crap about colon cleansing is crap. The body can't store more than a pound or two of solid waste (except Elvis who had 40 lbs of fecal matter impacted :rolleyes: ).

Btw, for anyone who cares, the bulk of the bulk is dead intestinal flora, not undigested food.

Think i used the go lightly for my first colonoscopy. For all my surgical preps and subsequent colonoscopies i used the phospho soda until they took it off the market.

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
He sorta conveniently leaves out any mention of omnivores.

EXACTIMUNDO!!!!!

you cannot compare man to a carnivore!

our closest "neighbors" in the genetic chain: the Great apes, will also eat meat whenever it is available....

Flyboyjc
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow, absolutely no true science in the vegan article; just bs. The straightdope article was well-done.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable at the top of the food chain.

BillReilly
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Food cults are nothing new. There are examples going back to the earliest known history of man. Vegetarianism and Veganism are food cults. Now before anyone gets on me about the word cult, I know that plenty of vegetarians are normal people who choose a vegetarian diet. I have two friends that fit the bill. Both avoid meat, but don't give a damn what anyone else eats.

For most the attraction is the same as it is with any mass movement, be it religion or a political ideology. A feature of all mass movements is proselytizing. The Vegetarian starts from the premise that his cult is rational and true, therefore he is doing you a favor by trying to bring you into the cult. The ends justifies the means and we get a load of junk science promoting vegetarianism, organic foods, raw foods, etc.

The truth is there is no virtue or vice in food. It's just food.

Kraken
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
(didn't read the article, read enough to know probably everything that it says though)

There is a lot of evidence when it comes to the whole blood type diets etc, that show that not all humans genetically support the same exact diets. I do feel that a majority of humans relied heavily on vegetation, and snacked on insects, eggs and the occasional animal corpse they came across. The fact of the matter is, humans were NOT born skilled hunters. This in itself proves that they could not have sustained a diet heavily of meat.

There are also area in which vegetarianism is not even possible, like areas where vegetation does not grow well and the main source of foods might have been fish.

Two final thoughts. First, humans have an amazing ability...the ability to eat what they want. They CHOOSE to eat certain things, unlike many other species, who eat only what they are designed for or need to. This is one major thing that makes either side's arguments so difficult to prove. Many say we are omnivores, but really, are we, genetically, if we choose to eat it, but don't need to? The last thought is, plant remains don't last as long as meat remains in bone, so the whole "Well, we found meat, but no plant based materials, so he was a meat eater" doesn't hold much water.

cmoore
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I always thought meat was just a vegetable that's been organically processed, butchered, and served with a smile.

KLMARB
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
For a real in depth rebuttal of this vegetarian religious nonsense, check out beyondveg.com...

Kodokan
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Couldn't this be countered with a few obvious observations?

Am human.
I eat some meat.
I still here.

Natural selection doesn't include a 'meant to do...'.

pvsampson
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Inb4 Monty!

public-office
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
By the logic shown in that article the Inuit people should have died out centuries ago. Their diet that consist primarily of protein and fat would scare the bejesus out of your average vegetarian!

BTW where do birds fit into this logic, many of their species eat meat?