PDA

View Full Version : What Keeps You Motivated?

revlimiter
01-31-2012, 11:36 PM
What would you say keeps you the most motivated in life and with your workout routines?

Music? Friends? Living consciously with the desire to be a crazy animal? ;)

I am curious to know, because I am getting back into my routine after a week off and I feel extremely pumped right while I listen to my music collection. I love trance music and the right type of music can be very therapeutic whenever I am feeling down and out and also gets me feeling energized again! But I also know that this pumped up feeling inside of me will not last forever the very same way it does right now - I would almost need to walk around everywhere I go with headphones on listening to my music in order for that to happen. ;P And even then, I would need to be finding new albums, new songs, new artists all the time too because I can't listen to the exact same song over and over again for too long. :P

When work in the office or when there are the general life distractions, or even when I am feeling like "What's the point of this discomfort that I am putting my body through during a hard workout? Life is too short and I am smaller then a spec of dust in terms of the cosmic calendar. If the workout itself isn't enjoyable, then why am I doing it?" Yeah, those negative thoughts that make their way inside of me (maybe not everyone) but for me I get them every now and then. I will admit though, it's never for too long because whenever I get those thoughts in my mind I try to really make a conscious effort in my mind to reverse that effect. By thinking "Well, life is too short. But damn, is it ever good! We have a lot to be grateful for.. Freedom, health, living in the present day. It feels like I won the world's biggest jackpot three times in life just thinking about those things."

I strive to be positive but at the same time honest with myself. Maybe I just need to set extremely short term goals and put all of my focus into those - maybe if I do that I will be too busy with the short term daily goals to really focus on my long-term life goals, which will still maybe get a conscious thought process once a month or so?

Either way, I am kind of under the impression that a passion in some form or another tied to working out is needed in order to stick with it for the long term. Not just for the time being, but for the rest of my life if it's really going to be the lifestyle and routine that I deeply care about and desire.

So I'm very interested in knowing, for motivation:
Does music only get you so far? Do friends only get you so far? Ultimately it will always come down to my own conscious decision with what I want to do with my life, so how do I keep myself motivated and on top of my workouts regardless of the timing and any ongoing distractions going on in my life? The workouts may not always be fun or enticing at first, but when I get into them they can be enjoyable, and afterwards it definitely feels great when I know that I gave it my everything for that training session.

What would you say your biggest motivational factors are and how do you keep the focus on them, even during the more difficult times?
:)
It feels that I am missing that one crucial key, with an unwithered motivation, to keep things going for the long-term. Or maybe it's not quite that easy. ;P A goal for why I am doing this, and an envisionment of of what I want my body to look like in 2-4 months? Then another 2-4 months? Or 2-4 years? Any tips for where the focus be throughout this to keep the motivation consistent?

Thanks for your time,

zanak74
02-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I grew up in the 80s watching men like Arnold and Stallone doing the impossible. The original Conan the Barbarian was one of the early movies that I saw. We had never seen anyone like Stallone or Arnold in the 80s. I wanted to be like those guys when I grew up. This drove me to fitness and weight training. I have faltered every couple of years. This happens to most people. The Rocky, Conan, and Rambo movies do the trick. I don't know what kind of music you like, but the Rocky soundracks are excellent for workouts. The Rocky Balboa soundtrack has the best of the series music. Look at the great shape that Stallone is in for a 60 plus year old. He embarrises me so much that go to the gym.

hochspeyer
02-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Live with purpose- train in the same way. Life is not always fun, and training is not always fun either. If you can see an "end product", then I suspect your vision is rather short-sighted.

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Either way, I am kind of under the impression that a passion in some form or another tied to working out is needed in order to stick with it for the long term. Not just for the time being, but for the rest of my life if it's really going to be the lifestyle and routine that I deeply care about and desire.

you are correct, however, there is no magic pill for passion: Passion is something you either have or you don't...

Passion is connected to love: you have to LOVE what you are doing.....

Hochspeyer mentioned that working out is not always fun: I have to disagree, because other than overcoming a little inertia to simply get going, it should always be fun.

if it is not, something is wrong: in most cases, doing things and using amounts of weights that are simply not for you...

if you make something into a chore, it WILL become a chore....

BillReilly
02-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Hochspeyer mentioned that working out is not always fun: I have to disagree, because other than overcoming a little inertia to simply get going, it should always be fun.

if it is not, something is wrong: in most cases, doing things and using amounts of weights that are simply not for you...

if you make something into a chore, it WILL become a chore....

This.

If you enjoy the work you will do the work. If you don't enjoy the work, you will find a way to avoid the work. That's true in every aspect of life. We have all had jobs that we hated. We found a way to get away from those jobs into something we preferred, even if it meant less money.

Skidmarx
02-01-2012, 04:22 AM
What motivates me is I don't want to become a fat f@ck again. lol.

BloodySalad
02-01-2012, 05:05 AM
This: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140847501

It was what got me hooked back on lifting after taking years off and putting on loads of weight. I looked at that thread and realised that it was possible to turn things around.
Although I've come a long way, whenever I need motivating, I think about posting my own photos in there one day.

IronCharles
02-01-2012, 05:07 AM
My motivation is seeing results in the mirror. I have a specific look that I want to achieve, and I will train until I achieve it. When I see the progress I have made so far, it pushes me to progress further.

polishedball
02-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Being healthy for my daughter, she is 4 and I am a single parent. Also knowing that someday she will have a boyfriend or one might try.

-=FLEX=-
02-01-2012, 05:43 AM
For me, self improvement is both the motivation and the reward.

Simple as that.

painthappy
02-01-2012, 05:56 AM
A schedule!!!

Have your workout days on a calendar. Just do them. It's easy to be tired, or think: I had a long day. Or just to be not motivated. No matter what, you do it. Many a day I wanted to just skip a workout, but hit the gym anyways. Always felt better afterward about the workout and about myself.

As the image in the mirror changes, so doesn't your attitude for the better.

So the thing that keeps me going, is the fact that I just keep going even if I don't feel like it. That old Nike slogan: Just do it. Cliche now... But still true.

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 06:41 AM
My motivation is seeing results in the mirror.

er...ummmm....Charlie.....have you looked in a mirror lately?

lol......

just busting your caroonies, buddy....

billb7581
02-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Gym time is my time. Also within my program knowing I have to get those 11 reps this week and 12 next week. All Pros simple beginner routine is the best thing that happened to me. Having a plan and a schedule is huge in my case and gets me the desired intensity. 4 weeks in I am starting to see a little definition in my arms.

chodan9
02-01-2012, 07:32 AM
success

nothing else motivates me like success

Guinea-pig
02-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Thinking about the results Im going to see.

Dave1776
02-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Thinking about the results I'm going to get mainly, but hard rock music helps get me through the tough parts of weight lifting. Setting goals can help keep you motivated too.

bigtallox
02-01-2012, 07:49 AM
What would you say keeps you the most motivated (snip) with your workout routines?

I enjoy training. I enjoy getting stronger, and I enjoy competing.

NJ77
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I grew up in the 80s watching men like Arnold and Stallone doing the impossible. The original Conan the Barbarian was one of the early movies that I saw. We had never seen anyone like Stallone or Arnold in the 80s. I wanted to be like those guys when I grew up. This drove me to fitness and weight training. I have faltered every couple of years. This happens to most people. The Rocky, Conan, and Rambo movies do the trick. I don't know what kind of music you like, but the Rocky soundracks are excellent for workouts. The Rocky Balboa soundtrack has the best of the series music. Look at the great shape that Stallone is in for a 60 plus year old. He embarrises me so much that go to the gym.

I'm totally with you on this. Just watching clips of Arnold in the 1970s and his movies in the 1980s always does the trick for me in terms of motivation.

2BLAZERS
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I have lots of motivation. Working out has been a part of my life for so long it just comes natural to me. It's like eating and sleeping. I just do it.

For me working out is MY time. No cell phone, no emails, no kids, no work distractions. Its important time for me to deload from Life and stress. I let out my anger and stress by picking up heavy objects:) Working out makes me a better husband and father. I'm healthier and have energy to keep up with a five year old:) I also enjoy my workout time, it gives me a sense of accomplishment, keeps me healthy, keeps me fit, allows me to do things the typical 36 year CPA could never do. I enjoy my friends at the gym. I'm also scared of becoming the big fatty who could not walk up a flight of stairs.

I shudder to think what my body shape would be if I did not workout and did not eat like I know too!

HoustonTXMuscle
02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Simply stated: I want to be better tomorrow than yesterday or today, which in turn means constantly setting new goals and staying positive even if I fail.

Singe03
02-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally my motivation was trying to drop some weight and get some energy back. I was in the pretty typical 40s downward spiral, uninteresting job, settled and not really motivated to do anything but spend time with my wife, hike a couple times a year and finally got unhappy enough to break out of it and change it.

I started going and found out I enjoyed it, the more I learned the more I enjoyed it and eventually with enough lifting and learning I started making progress towards my own goals. There were some false starts, but wanting progress in the gym made me straighten my diet out significantly and I leaned out a good bit which was my goal. Then I wanted to get stronger, which is the direction I'm taking now, and the desire for that progress has forced me to take control of other factors in my life. I know when I run out my current program, I'll want to cut down to a lower but still healthy body fat level (IE not a contest cut, just very defined) then maybe strength again or maybe hypertrophy.

I feel better and I'm happier, I'm stronger and more fit, the whole experience has created a positive cycle that feeds itself. Good results in the gym have both demanded and fueled good changes in my life, which make me better in the gym. I want more of both, progress in the gym and progress in bettering myself outside of the gym so it has become it's own motivation.

GreenWave1
02-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Initially, I was motivated to improve my mental health. 12 years in, that is still a factor, but the fact is, I just enjoy lifting.

Minotaur
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Thinking about the results Im going to see.

^ This. And to take it one step further, I keep pics of physiques I think I can achieve on the kitchen pantry door (not that I'm a snacker, but it's in a prominent place) with a caption Do you see this in the mirror? Some people may find that a little odd (OK, a lot odd) but it works.

Landor
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
For me there are many things that keep me motivated. Most importantly is the fitness of it all. I like how I am looking and feeling.

After that there are many other reasons. Being I was once over weight I know what it is like on both sides of the fence. People treat the fit me hundreds of times better then the fat me.

I really enjoy working out. I look forward to it every day. I love being in a gym. I am going on 26 months of working out and I have only misses a couple weeks during that time.

My logic might not be sounds but it keeps me going.

ArchAngel'73
02-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I am not motivated, I am not inspired, I see no golden trophy to grasp for as a goal every day I'm in the gym.

In fact, I barely think of going to the gym even after 23 years doing so.

It is natural to me, as breathing is for others, an unconscious act.
My day is not complete and my conscience heavy until it is done.

The days I don't go to the gym or am not supposed to go, those are the days I need motivation to stay at home.

MadJasper
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
My daughter. She's almost 12 and beautiful (and if someone asks for a pic they are a sick phuk). The boys are already drooling all over themselves.

She complemented me on my size gains last week and asked why I wanted to get big. I told her....

"Boys will look at you and want to ask you out. I want them to look at me and have second thoughts".

doinmiabs
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
There are so many why's and how's to stay motivated like you all mentioned above. Music? Sure. Me time? Absolutely. But I'll also say that once this lifestyle takes off ... you just don't think about staying motivated. It's just how you live your life. It's what you do. I never have a day when I say "I just don't feel like going." And if an injury keeps me out I'm fit to be tied.

I'll throw in that I'm different than everyone else around me...and I like that. My diet's different than my co-workers. My interests are different than my brothers. My day's are different. My lifestyle is different.

So that keeps me motivated. Oh...and I'll also add an additional motivator: seeing middle aged men in pleated khaki's and golf shirts with their guts hanging over their waist. My biggest fear!!! LOL!

BigMech
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
My kids/family were my motivation for losing weight and getting into shape. I want to be there when they have kids, I want to do things with them, and I want to set a good example for them. They are still a big part of motivation, but now that I'm in the best shape of my life, I want to stay that way. I love way I feel now, the energy levels, and I'm much happier with the way I look. I don't want to give that up.

revlimiter
02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Great feedback! I really appreciate the words of wisdom here. All good stuff!

Gym time is my time. Also within my program knowing I have to get those 11 reps this week and 12 next week. All Pros simple beginner routine is the best thing that happened to me. Having a plan and a schedule is huge in my case and gets me the desired intensity. 4 weeks in I am starting to see a little definition in my arms.

I am very happy to hear this. :) I too, am doing All Pro's simple beginner routine.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

So as of right now, day by day, I am focused on my weight training routine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There are lots of things to put my primary focus on in these 5 weeks alone:
- eating enough each day, and in the right categories
- sleeping 8 hours each day
- training my abs and doing some light cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

With my focus on those things alone, I should be thinking less about the future and more about the present moment. What needs to be done in the now. It should be more then enough to keep me very occupied, even though it's a beginner's workout program. The food part can really take up time if I want it to, and if I want to do it right. :)

- and lastly, one rest day on Sunday where I take the day off of training? I would hate to think that I'm just forcing myself to sit at home all day, even if the opportunity presents itself for a bike ride or for a hike - I'm sure I can find something that keeps my body moving, even though Sunday can be my "off day"? I guess it depends on how I'm feeling though. If I work out correctly on those 6 other days then maybe I can feel that I can treat myself to the one rest day. All Pro says to "Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days" but doesn't make mention of 1 rest day throughout the week or not? Perhaps it's completely optional.

chodan9
02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I enjoy training. I enjoy getting stronger
these are true for me,
I'm that strong compared to many trainees though but I am as strong as I have ever been.
I love the training though, it is an end unto itself.

7digits
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Staying in shape keeps me motivated and I don't use the fact that I'm missing 3 fingers as an excuse not to work out.

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
For me, self improvement is both the motivation and the reward.

Simple as that.

I enjoy training. I enjoy getting stronger, and I enjoy competing.

Simply stated: I want to be better tomorrow than yesterday or today, which in turn means constantly setting new goals and staying positive even if I fail.

Initially, I was motivated to improve my mental health. 12 years in, that is still a factor, but the fact is, I just enjoy lifting.

I am not motivated, I am not inspired, I see no golden trophy to grasp for as a goal every day I'm in the gym.

In fact, I barely think of going to the gym even after 23 years doing so.

It is natural to me, as breathing is for others, an unconscious act.
My day is not complete and my conscience heavy until it is done.

The days I don't go to the gym or am not supposed to go, those are the days I need motivation to stay at home.

all GREAT answers, amongst even more on here.....I think for those of us, who are "regulars" here, we are quite aware of just how motivated our internet buddies are!

Corbi
02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
My motivation is seeing results in the mirror. I have a specific look that I want to achieve, and I will train until I achieve it. When I see the progress I have made so far, it pushes me to progress further.

IC nailed it as this is what pushes me as well. Originally my goal was just to get stronger yet a funny thing happened and I started to see changes in my traps and now my shoulders and chest are starting to come around after almost 2 years of working out. Seeing the changes pushes me to work harder and longer to get to where I eventually want to be. Will I ever actually achieve the look I want? hell if I know for certain but it's fun trying.

The1Silverback
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Looking at My Picture at the end of 2011 and wanting to get as far away from that weight and BF as I possibly Can.

And to Be around to Watch My two Girls Grow ...

67fastback
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I can look at my before picture, and say "who is that guy/"

I play mind tricks with myself, when I'm feeling lazy. I say something, like; "I'll just go and sit in the hot tub" or "...take it easy."
As long as I drag my ass, to the pool/gym and I get warmed up, I have no problem, getting going and working hard. I never end up taking it easy. I must be really dumb, to be able to "trick" myself, like that all the time! ;)

Honestly, once I get going, I'm like a loaded dump truck, with no brakes, rolling down hill. I seem to like working hard, and don't really have much trouble keeping going.

It's kind of fun, ya know?

StressMonkey
02-01-2012, 11:13 PM

I've always said that if you can think of a list of things to motivate you you can also make a list of excuses as to why you're not hitting the gym.

It's a part of my life now. The end.

Balan7777
02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
I got back into lifting a few months back courtesy of Plitt, Zyzz, etc. None of them are ridiculous size monsters and have physiques which I believe are attainable (without cycling).

What keeps me going is being and inspiration for others. My girlfirend is now hitting the crosstrainer everyday & a couple of my friends are now taking a look at themselves & starting to exercise more as well. Simply because they've seen the improvements I've made in myself.

bbsitum
02-05-2012, 06:55 AM
This will sound odd. From time to time I like go to store, work (not at work) and to gas station in outfit like this ( Hanes thermal that follow body line or something like this ) if weather allow (maybe 5 times per year). I just eat little for a few days before. It make kind of disorder between girls where I go (accurse not all but some girls really buy it). It is motivational.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/bbsitum/private/6111.jpg

jor012
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
As far as training..I just can't seem to do without it.