PDA

View Full Version : Please some help with my stats......

nsaturne
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
I've been working out off and on. It's been a month and a half since I've been trying to remain consistent. I just weigh myself and here is my stat:
Female - 5'5
lbs. 153.2
bfat % 23.5
Muscle Mass %37
Water % 52
Bone Mass % 12.7

Looking to lose weight, but don't know exactly what those stats say about my body composition?

ironwill2008
01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been working out off and on. It's been a month and a half since I've been trying to remain consistent. I just weigh myself and here is my stat:
Female - 5'5
lbs. 153.2
bfat % 23.5
Muscle Mass %37
Water % 52
Bone Mass % 12.7

Looking to lose weight, but don't know exactly what those stats say about my body composition?

From an appearance standpoint, the body fat % figure is what to look at. Rather than dropping weight, a better goal is to drop that bf %.

nsaturne
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
From an appearance standpoint, the body fat % figure is what to look at. Rather than dropping weight, a better goal is to drop that bf %.

Yes actually that is my ultimate goal. I would like my bf % to be between 19 and 15%. So far I do 1hr cardio in the morning, weightlifting in the evening and another 30 minutes cardio depending on available time. If you have any suggestion, it will be greatly appreciated.

CookAndrewB
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
It is easier to control the calorie in vs. calorie out equation with what you eat than what you do. All of that cardio will be largely irrelevant so long as you can manage to put less food in your face.

If you just love cardio... so be it. Dan John has pointed out that the less efficient a movement is, the better at burning calories it will be. If you can blaze through 30 minutes of step aerobics without breathing heavy, guess what... not helping you lose weight.

ironwill2008
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
It is easier to control the calorie in vs. calorie out equation with what you eat than what you do. All of that cardio will be largely irrelevant so long as you can manage to put less food in your face.

^^^^This. By a country mile.

You're going to burn yourself out trying to keep up your current schedule, and to no avail in the process.

Continue your weight training, and drop your CV exercise back to enough to maintain your CV health (2 or 3 , 20-minute sessions per week should be plenty), and use your calorie intake to control your body fat.

You must take charge of your nutrition. Read through this thread, and use the info in it to figure a baseline of calories, protein, carbs, and fat to put you at a small deficit:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

You'll need to purchase a small food scale (~$30 at any of the big-box discounters), and weigh your portions. Track them on this free site: http://fitday.com. Keeping such a detailed eye on your food intake will be a hassle at first, but it's the only way to insure the results you're after, and as you get into it, it'll get much easier. Especially when you see the body fat begin to drop away without having to kill yourself on a dreadmill to do it.

nsaturne
02-01-2012, 05:30 PM

If you just love cardio... so be it. Dan John has pointed out that the less efficient a movement is, the better at burning calories it will be. If you can blaze through 30 minutes of step aerobics without breathing heavy, guess what... not helping you lose weight.

I don't love to do cardio at all; I rather lift weight all day if I could. However, since it is a mental struggle for me to do cardio that's why I do it in order for me to learn to love it and I don't mind the energy it provides me in the morning. As for the calorie intake, I am now learning how to count them. Thank you for your response!

mslman71
02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Yep, x3 on the calorie consumption. I like to translate calories into units of food item vs distance - for example, one decent size plain bagel has about 275 calories, which for you is probably about 2.5 miles of jogging. So, if you simply avoid grabbing the extra bagel in the break room you can spare yourself 20-30 minutes of cardio. Two slices of regular bread, 150-175 calories, two slices of low cal bread, 70 calories, the difference being almost one mile of jogging.

nsaturne
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Thank you very much for your help Ironwill. Lately I have been doing the calorie count thing, but I don't think I am efficient at it yet. I will purchase the food scale and I will definitely check out the link. Will make use of your suggestions for sure. Again thank you!!!

chodan9
02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Thank you very much for your help Ironwill. Lately I have been doing the calorie count thing, but I don't think I am efficient at it yet. I will purchase the food scale and I will definitely check out the link. Will make use of your suggestions for sure. Again thank you!!!

counting calories is like working out
it takes time practice and experience to get it right