PDA

View Full Version : Beginner and Cutting. Advice?

Michael4422
01-31-2012, 06:35 PM
I want to transform my body - build muscle, take advantage of beginner gains, but also I must loose fat. I think I should make sure I take in about 165g of protein/day and eat a calorie deficit of about 500/day.

I'm doing higher reps of the main compound exercises three days/week, and cardio two days/week to start.

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions or modifications I may want to consider?

Thanks.

I'm 38
6'4"
218 lb. with 25% body fat.

ironwill2008
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
I want to transform my body - build muscle, take advantage of beginner gains, but also I must loose fat. I think I should make sure I take in about 165g of protein/day and eat a calorie deficit of about 500/day.

I'm doing higher reps of the main compound exercises three days/week, and cardio two days/week to start.

Sound like a good plan?

It's a start.

Any suggestions or modifications I may want to consider?

Your stated protein intake is a bit low, and you didn't mention your fat intake (the other essential macro besides protein). I'd suggest you read through this thread, and recheck your macro/calorie figures:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

You didn't ask, but I'll post this link to a very comprehensive beginner bodybuilding program:
*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

bigtallox
01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I want to (snip)
take advantage of beginner gains, (snip)
eat a calorie deficit of about 500/day.

You won't have optimal beginner gains if you're cutting.

I'm doing higher reps of the main compound exercises three days/week

That sounds good.

I'm 38
6'4"

IMHO you should focus on building muscle, the bodyfat will take care of itself when you have more muscle mass, i.e. cutting after you have some muscle is easier, and beginner gains will be wasted while cutting => cut later ( when you have something to cut to ).

UaPhckaHoryJit
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions or modifications I may want to consider?

Thanks.

I'm 38
6'4"

higher reps?

nothin wrong with more protein

keep carbs low, protein up, maybe 10 g carbs per meal & vegetables

probably 3 sets per muscle group, 5-12 reps per exercises to failure would do ya good

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Thanks.

I'm 38
6'4"

oh man, where do I begin here?? I could rip this entire post apart, but rather than do that, OP, we must first learn if you are going to be a typical one or two and out poster here.

so let me say this first: make a HARD COPY of your post and save it....

THEN: if you TRULY become a STUDENT of this art, if you look at innumerable videos, read endless books, all the magazines, in other words, as many of us have done, TOTALLY IMMERSE yourself into the sport so that you can learn everything you can about the sport, then, you will look back on your post, every now and then, and LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF!

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 03:42 AM
and for the umpteenth and millioneth time, start out with correct terminology: you are NOT "cutting"....

you, are dieting.....Cutting is a specific diet/training program to achieve STAGE CONDITION....

right now, you are what we call: SKINNY FAT...

at Six foot four and only 218 pounds but with a bodyfat percentage of 25 percent? almost the very definition of skinny fat....

again, what I said in my first reply, if you continue to learn, you will understand that fully.....

also: I am willing to bet that this "bodyfat" percentage, you are telling us, was gleaned from one of those totally fictitious scales...right?

and while I am at it, seeing how much you can take and toughen it up, you LOSE things....as opposed to LOOSE change...lol...

taylor9569
02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
........but also I must loose fat.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AdeeiosBkcY/TAegb5fafxI/AAAAAAAAACk/pAiavWeTnrA/s320/saggy+skin+!.jpg

Loose fat, why would you want loose fat?????????

ljimd
02-01-2012, 05:06 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AdeeiosBkcY/TAegb5fafxI/AAAAAAAAACk/pAiavWeTnrA/s320/saggy+skin+!.jpg

^^^^^^ Dang!!! I'll never complain about my loose skin again.http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mindi912
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
gross

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
to quote myself:

we must first learn if you are going to be a typical one or two and out poster here.

let's see if OP comes back to face the music....

Michael4422
02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Well there's some arrogance and attitude for ya. But some great advice. Thanks! I'll check out the links.

Basically, I wasn't sure if I should diet first or take advantage of beginner gains. I'll certainly do the later.

Cheers,

-Skinnyfat

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Well there's some arrogance and attitude for ya. But some great advice. Thanks! I'll check out the links.

Basically, I wasn't sure if I should diet first or take advantage of beginner gains. I'll certainly do the later.

Cheers,

-Skinnyfat

no, it's called TOUGH LOVE...depending on how people react to it, we can give much more on here...