PDA

View Full Version : hustle up the hancock stair race

tomsfish
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
a co-workers wife is on a team that is going to do this.one of her teammates has to have knee surgery and cant make it so i offered to step in if they could not find anybody.unfortunatly they accepted and i found out it has about 2000 steps and 94 floors in the race.i have 4 weeks to get ready and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this and has some training tips.

ChicagoWineGeek
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
This year will be my 11th Hustle race. It's some great cardio. The best way to train for this is to do actual stairs. I am lucky that I travel for business and the hotels I stay at have some good stairs. If you don't have the option to do actual stairs, then the stairmaster machines at the gym are good, as long as you don't support your weight on the handles. PM me if you want more info.

tomsfish
02-01-2012, 05:52 AM
11 so far,wow.
ive been hitting alot of stairs these last couple days.ill keep building up the volume as i go.

jkreuze
02-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Might not hurt to drop 5-10 lbs if you have the room in your diet. That's a lot of 10" risers to climb.

Black Sunday
02-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Been working on my cardio last couple of weeks. Don't like treadmills, elipticals or stationary bikes and most of them don't work properly at my gym, so I started doing stairs in my apartment. Building is six floors so it's like doing interval training. I do double steps up and try and sink down to parallel, pushing through the heels. Single steps down. I started doing them twice a day every other day. Now It's once every other day ten times up ands down for a total of sixty floors. Will start working on bettering my time next week.

I do the double steps because i may have to stop squatting :(. I'll see about picking up a weight vest to up the intensity as well. I don't know if this will help you, just something i started doing. When i get tired of it I'll move on to something else

JeepCreeper
02-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Try running stairs at a local highschool football stadium.

tomsfish
02-01-2012, 07:30 AM
yea thanks all, the stair part i got.i believe if you want to get good at stairs, do stairs.this is all new to me,if it was miles running i would know how to build it up in the short time i have.but stairs are completly new to me.

tomsfish
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
went to a place called swallow cliffs today,125 stairs up.when you get close to the top the stairs get steeper.i did this 7 times and thought i was going to die.
its funny when you get out of your comfort zone,im not as hardcore in shape as i thought i was.i can understand the younger guys passing me,not the older ones.

tomsfish
02-25-2012, 06:48 AM
This year will be my 11th Hustle race. It's some great cardio. The best way to train for this is to do actual stairs. I am lucky that I travel for business and the hotels I stay at have some good stairs. If you don't have the option to do actual stairs, then the stairmaster machines at the gym are good, as long as you don't support your weight on the handles. PM me if you want more info.

good luck tomorrow.
ive gone up and down over 1000 flights of stairs,training for this the last 3 weeks.
i hope thats enough and i dont want to see any stairs for a while after tomorrow.

beachguy498
02-25-2012, 06:55 AM
There are a couple of NYC stair races every year, one in The Empire State building, IIRC. I was reading in a NY Times article how people train for it. Some train on their lunch hours in the building they work in or stay after hours and train. No matter what, it has to be the most intense form of cardio known to man. I agree that being lighter has to be a great advantage.

Rob

tomsfish
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
did it in less than 30 mins,which was my goal.had to stop a couple times for a breather after 50 floors,not happy about that part.

Corbi
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
did it in less than 30 mins,which was my goal.had to stop a couple times for a breather after 50 floors,not happy about that part.

30 minutes sounds pretty damn good to me, have been to the observation deck there many times and I wouldn't want to walk/run down the stairs much less up them.

llahhsoj
02-26-2012, 03:39 PM
a co-workers wife is on a team that is going to do this.one of her teammates has to have knee surgery and cant make it so i offered to step in if they could not find anybody.unfortunatly they accepted and i found out it has about 2000 steps and 94 floors in the race.i have 4 weeks to get ready and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this and has some training tips.

I've done things like this in the past. I would recommend steady cardio and had some HIT with it.

mrmrbill
02-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Props! For a "first time", sound like it went well. So, you're hooked and gonna do it again next yr? :)

tomsfish
02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Props! For a "first time", sound like it went well. So, you're hooked and gonna do it again next yr? :)
i just might be dumb enough to try the sears tower one at some point.but ill be seeing this one next year,now that i know what to expect.

"you have spread too much reputation around in the last 24 hours"