PDA

View Full Version : Ketogenic diet question

diderr
01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm not a fad chaser so don't misunderstand me. I have a friend that did this diet a couple years ago and worked wonders for him. He didn't have very much lean body mass when he did it. I know that Keto is supposed to mimic starvation and trick the body to eat its own fat reserves. My question is since it mimics starvation would it also eat a great deal of muscle mass? I'm taking an amino and trying to keep my protein intake to 1 gram per pound. I'm keeping my carbs under 100 g's a day, and cals at about 1500 to 2000 or so. I know I will lose some lean body mass as all cutting diets do, but would keto be greater than most others?

Thanks guys.

ZMan45
01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
1500 cals at 257 is starving yourself anyway. Keto works by eliminating carbs so fat is the primary fuel source...it's just another approach as total energy intake will still determine your weight. Just stick with basic cutting.

Ed_Hitchens
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Keto doesn't mimic starvation. It merely changes your body's primary fuel source from glucose (i.e. carbs) to fat. It is very important to increase your intake of fat to maintain calories and energy levels while limiting and reducing carbohydrate intake. Limiting or avoiding carbs (mostly refined sources, like breads, pastas, grains, etc) has the duel effect of reducing appetite by controlling blood sugar and insulin while forcing your body to release and burn fat (ketones) for energy. The biggest mistake most dieters make is avoiding fat due to the notion of "fat makes you fat". It does not. It is a healthy nutrient, and along with protein, absolutely essential for health and survival (there are NO essential carbohydrates).

IMO, strict keto isn't necessary to gain the benefits of the diet. Restricting carb intake to 70-100g per day (according to Dr. Wolfgang Lutz, 62g is the sweet spot) seems to do the trick for most people. What truly is working wonders with people who follow this diet, as well as the paleo and primal eating plans, is the avoidance of refined and processed foods. Eating an abundance of whole natural foods (such as meats, veggies, butter, oils, and some fruit) will naturally correct homeostasis in most folks. Ensuring adequate protein intake will spare your lean tissue as fats will be used as the primary source of energy.

ZMan45
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
^^^^completely lost you at the 2nd paragraph. 62g....really?

Blackjack68
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I know that Keto is supposed to mimic starvation and trick the body to eat its own fat reserves.

No sir, it's not a "trick" and it's does not mimic starvation. We, as a species, lived, evolved, and flourished for thousands of generations with it, much longer than we have had agriculture to give us all the carbs in sufficient quantity to keep us out of keto continually.

Everyone's different, some do great with it, some do poorly, only way to tell is give it a try. But at anywhere near 100g carbs/day, you're not going to be anywhere near ketosis, so it's kind of irrelevant.

You can avoid losing muscle mass on a cut if you keep your calorie deficit to about 30% and keep lifting.

Ed_Hitchens
02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
^^^^completely lost you at the 2nd paragraph. 62g....really?

Sorry, it's actually 72g. That was the amount that his own clinical experience with patients showed the best results. (Keep in mind that this is for the correction and maintenance of general health markers, not necessarily for athletic purposes.)

adamrochester
02-01-2012, 07:25 AM
dude at 6 foot and 257 lbs thats no way near enough calories

i would start of with 3000- 2500 calories eating 270g protein filling in fats by 20-30% of your diet and the rest of the calories with carbs ......... more carbs more fuler you will look .... beter performance to ... and muscle sparing

Yutes
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I've had the best results from keto. I've tried standard cutting and it works for me but not as well as keto.

Kirra
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
The only thing that keto does is blunts your hunger so most people won't overeat. There's really not that much more to it.

WonderPug
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
The only thing that keto does is blunts your hunger so most people won't overeat.I don't believe there's any credible evidence that a ketogenic diet "blunts" hunger, but the diet does stress food combinations that can have higher satiety than the typical SAD.

adamrochester
02-02-2012, 01:12 AM
But you probably lost allot of strength yes and energy levels where at the window IMO screw keto

Kirra
02-02-2012, 03:03 AM
I don't believe there's any credible evidence that a ketogenic diet "blunts" hunger, but the diet does stress food combinations that can have higher satiety than the typical SAD.

Potato, potato. Wait, that doesn't really work over text.