PDA

View Full Version : Anthropology Student Looking for Volunteers

AnthroDan
01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I am an anthropology student at Concordia University and I am looking for volunteers for a research project about fitness. I am interested in hearing from anyone who would like to share their experiences with me (fitness goals, motivations, lifestyle, etc.).

Aim: The goal of my research is to gain an understanding of the recent fitness craze. I am particularly interested in hearing from those who train in fitness clubs or gyms. I would like to hear from a variety of people from diverse cultural backgrounds. This project is for an anthropology class and participation will be greatly appreciated.

Participation: Participation in this research project is completely voluntary. It will consist of a series of informal questions and conversations either by private message on here, by e-mail, or by other means if that is more convenient. What you choose to share with me may potentially be published, but your anonymity is guaranteed. I encourage those of you who are interested in participating to either send me an e-mail or a private message, or simply post in this thread if you wouldn't mind me sending you a private message with some questions.

Feel free to post with any suggestions, questions, or concerns in this thread. Thank you in advance.

You may choose to answer the below questions, or perhaps if you prefer provide me with an anecdote about your experiences (why you began training, why you continue, or really anything else in regard to fitness you care to share).

1)How old are you?
2)Are you male or female?
3)What is your ethnic origin?
4)Where do you currently live?
5)What is your occupation?
6)What initially made you decide to begin going to the gym?
7)For how long have you been going to the gym?
8)How many times a week do you usually go?
9)What activities do you usually do when at the gym? (cardio, aerobics, strength training, etc.)
10)What motivates you to continue training? In other words, what intentions or goals do you have? (body modification, healthier life style, or perhaps more of a social activity)
11)Have your goals and motivations changed since you initially began going to the gym? How so?
12)Is training more of an enjoyable activity for you or something you have to force yourself to do?
13) Would you consider yourself more of a social person at the gym or do you prefer to keep to yourself? Do you usually train alone or with others?

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
" gain an understanding of the recent fitness craze"

There's a RECENT fitness craze?? Oh Sh*t!

keyboardworkout
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Re: question 13

My gym is the garage. My wife is afraid to set foot in it. The dogs sometimes join me when it's not too hot.

bigtallox
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Aim: The goal of my research is to gain an understanding of the recent fitness craze.

Well this isn't a fitness site, it's a bodybuilding site, but then again, I'm not a bodybuilder anyway, so OK I'll answer....

1)How old are you?

See my profile

Eastern european

Engineer

I wanted to build muscle

I first started training with weights in 1984.

3 time a week

9)What activities do you usually do when at the gym? (cardio, aerobics, strength training, etc.)

I train powerlifts and strongman events.

10)What motivates you to continue training? In other words, what intentions or goals do you have? (body modification, healthier life style, or perhaps more of a social activity)

I compete in strongman and that motivates me.

11)Have your goals and motivations changed since you initially began going to the gym? How so?

I'm much more serious about it now.

12)Is training more of an enjoyable activity for you or something you have to force yourself to do?

I enjoy it.

13) Would you consider yourself more of a social person at the gym or do you prefer to keep to yourself? Do you usually train alone or with others?

I like to be around other like minded people, so it really just depends. If I'm at the local fitness center, I pretty much keep to myself. But if I'm training with my strongman buddies, I'm pretty social ( at the appropriate times ).

mslman71
01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
1)How old are you?

about 40

male

Visigoth

Southeast USA

Engineer

I was bored

About the time you were born

5-6

Strength training

I love it. Bigger, faster, stronger. The success is all mine, the failure is all mine. No sharing, no teamwork, etc.

No.

The only thing worse than going to the gym on a day when I don't want to go to the gym is not going to the gym. It's something I've done my entire adult life. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't go.

Chitchat rarely. I don't train with anyone.

nightsoiler
01-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Grapefruit...for all my needs...if you know what I mean.

everphilski
02-01-2012, 06:02 AM
1)How old are you?

male

germanic

alabama

aerospace engineer

I train in my garage; my motivation was to get in better shape (previously I kept in shape cycling, perpetually skinny-fat)

2 years

3 days

strength training. I cycle on off-days 2-3x/week.

fitness

I went from "wanting to be functional" to "wanting to be a strong dad" to "wanting to powerlift (and look good naked)"

very enjoyable. I don't always look forward to a particular session but I feel great after the fact and the few times I've had to take an unscheduled break it negatively impacts my mood.

I train at home in my garage by myself. It's a personal thing to me.

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 07:07 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Drbass2/45231549.jpg

hochspeyer
02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
It seems that Planet Fitness has it all wrong: most bodybuilders and strongmen are engineers, according to this survey (John is a dentist, I believe, but he does not count as he posted a caveman picture rather than answering the questions.)

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
It seems that Planet Fitness has it all wrong: most bodybuilders and strongmen are engineers, according to this survey (John is a dentist, I believe, but he does not count as he posted a caveman picture rather than answering the questions.)

yeah....I was definitely Fking with him.....

I'll tell you something, HOCH: this thread looks awfully familiar and I have the funny feeling it has been posted before on here...

Oceanside
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Well this isn't a fitness site, it's a bodybuilding site, but then again, I'm not a bodybuilder anyway, so OK I'll answer....
See my profile
Eastern european
Engineer
I wanted to build muscle
I first started training with weights in 1984.
3 time a week
I train powerlifts and strongman events.
I compete in strongman and that motivates me.
I'm much more serious about it now.
I enjoy it.
I like to be around other like minded people, so it really just depends. If I'm at the local fitness center, I pretty much keep to myself. But if I'm training with my strongman buddies, I'm pretty social ( at the appropriate times ).

the above quoted post was brought to you by the word "strongman"

TheIronMaster
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
1)How old are you? 46
2)Are you male or female? Male
3)What is your ethnic origin? German
4)Where do you currently live? Pa USA
5)What is your occupation? Service manager for auto dealer.
6)What initially made you decide to begin going to the gym? Wanted to get in shape.
7)For how long have you been going to the gym? 3..5 years
8)How many times a week do you usually go?4
9)What activities do you usually do when at the gym? (cardio, aerobics, strength training, etc.) Pump iron.
10)What motivates you to continue training? In other words, what intentions or goals do you have? (body modification, healthier life style, or perhaps more of a social activity) Compete in bodybuilding.
11)Have your goals and motivations changed since you initially began going to the gym? How so? Yes from getting in shape to wanting to compete.
12)Is training more of an enjoyable activity for you or something you have to force yourself to do?Its enjoyable for me.
13) Would you consider yourself more of a social person at the gym or do you prefer to keep to yourself? Do you usually train alone or with others?Not very social at the gym. I deal with people all day at work. Train alone.

Medtreker
02-01-2012, 07:22 PM
14)What's you bank account, so we can deposit $10.00 participation payment.
15)What's your social security number, so we can validate your account.

AnthroDan
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Thank you for everyone who has replied, much appreciated. I will follow up through PMs for those who don't mind.

Marius_Ursus
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
This looks fun. Hope I'm not too late to join.

1)How old are you?

Male

Irish/Jewish/Scottish/German/Seneca/Choctaw

Upstate NY

Software engineer

Tired of being fat.

10 years...and I'm still fat, just strong and healthy now.

Resistance and conditioning

I enjoy competition. I train to improve in a sport, and I really like getting stronger and stronger.

I used to want to look sculpted and balanced, but now I'm in it for the strength.

It is one of the most fun activities I know.

I train alone at home.

fireturk41
02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
ask away

MoldyGopher
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
1)How old are you?

1) 37
2) Male
3) Native American
4) Minnesota
5) Programming
6) http://ask.metafilter.com/207592/Please-help-me-learn-some-dietary-selfdiscipline#2992178
7) Two year anniversary right around the corner
8) I do 6 days on, 1 off. 3 days of lifting, 3 days of cardio. The cardio is outside if I can swing it but Minnesota.
9) Cardio, lifting, light stretching, some ogling, socializing
10) I used to be really, really fat. Now I'm committed to being awesome, swole dad. Also trying to get rid of my loose skin.
11) Nope
12) Love lifting, cardio is meh, treadmill running sucks.
13) I sometimes go to the gym with my fiancee but we train alone. I usually listen to music but I strike up conversations at the gym all the time.

Anything else I can do, just ask.

jtroster
02-17-2012, 05:45 AM
1)How old are you?

Male

Eastern-European Jewish, second generation Canadian

Toronto

Software Engineer

My doctor told me that my cholesterol and blood pressure were getting high. If I did not do something he would have put me on medication.

9 years

9)What activities do you usually do when at the gym?
strength training, some cardio

10)What motivates you to continue training? In other words, what intentions or goals do you have?
I want to live long enough to see my grandchildren get married. Given that the first one will only be born this year, this is a long term goal.
I keep on training to keep away all the pains. Since starting my back and knees no longer hurt.
I like the feeling of power when I deadlift or squat a heavy weight.

Yes, I keep changing among fat loss, strength and body shape.

Sometimes I have to drag myself into the gym. But once there I really enjoy it.

My wife and I go to the gym together. We each train alone but I am a part of a group of regulars that support each other.

BTW, my daughter graduated from Concordia and my nephew is attending next year.

jor012
02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
what exactly are you trying to understand about this "fitness craze"?
1. 44
2. male
3. Russian
4. New England
5. classified
6. I don't go to a gym I workout at home
7. I don't go to a gym
8. I don't go to a gym
9. I don't go to a gym
10. loe the feeling of lifting..goal is to be the strongest version of me that i can be.
11. No
12. enjoy
13. I don't go to a gym

GuyJin
02-18-2012, 03:50 AM
Hi,

1)How old are you?--50.
2)Are you male or female?--Male
3)What is your ethnic origin?--Russian Litvack in descent, American mother and Canadian father.
4)Where do you currently live?--Japan
5)What is your occupation?--Teacher, writer (hobby)
6)What initially made you decide to begin going to the gym?--Didn't want to be fat.
7)For how long have you been going to the gym?--Working out at home, more than twenty years.
8)How many times a week do you usually go?--Three
9)What activities do you usually do when at the gym? (cardio, aerobics, strength training, etc.)--Strength training on my workout days, and walking or jogging on my off days.
10)What motivates you to continue training? In other words, what intentions or goals do you have? (body modification, healthier life style, or perhaps more of a social activity)--I'd like to be healthy and live to a ripe old age.
11)Have your goals and motivations changed since you initially began going to the gym? How so?--Haven't changed much. I wanted to be in good shape when I started and still do.
12)Is training more of an enjoyable activity for you or something you have to force yourself to do?--Enjoyable. If I didn't enjoy what I did and still do, then I wouldn't do it.
13) Would you consider yourself more of a social person at the gym or do you prefer to keep to yourself? Do you usually train alone or with others?--I train alone and always have.

---

See my answers above. I don't get the "recent fitness craze biz" but whatever.

AnthroDan
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Thank you all once again.

I agree that my initial post about the "fitness craze" may have been a hyperbole, however, there is nevertheless a clear upward trend in gym memberships and in general a more 'health conscious' attitude in many societies around the world.

I would also like to add a bit more about my motivations behind this project. I've been weight training for years and quite often I would hear comments about how boring training actually was (from people who never stepped foot in a gym no less), and obviously I did not agree. I reviewed a lot of anthropological and sociological literature on fitness before commencing my research, and I was surprised to read that many of these sources reduced weight training and body building solely to vain pursuits of body modification. I'm interested in researching where exactly these stereotyped versions come from, if there's any truth to them, and of course argue that there is more to fitness training than what has been suggested.

I am extremely grateful to all those who have answered my questions, keep it up!