PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding lifestyle and the Flu

hemingersl
01-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I was just curious...I've been a physical fitness nut for better than 20 years now and I've always wondered if the good diet (not a lot of empty sugar calories and high protein and plentiful veggies) and the weight training had something to do with the fact that I've come down with the flu only once in that time?
That got me wondering this morning is that is a typical situation within our community? Are the rest of you resistant to the flu and colds as well? My suspicion is most definitely.

-=FLEX=-
01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Are the rest of you resistant to the flu and colds as well?

I rarely get sick but I don't think it has anything to do with bodybuilding.

ljimd
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
I rarely get sick but I don't think it has anything to do with bodybuilding.

^^^^^^^^^ Agree here. Germs are germs - I don't think they discriminate.

tsoden
01-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Flu shmmmoo.... anyone and everyone can get it no matter what physical state you are in.

otiskii
01-31-2012, 09:33 AM
I've had the flu maybe 3 times in my life. A lot of folks confuse a cough or common cold with the flu. They is different. I probably average a cold 3 times over 2 years. I try to cough daily.

-=FLEX=-
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
A lot of folks confuse a cough or common cold with the flu. They is different.

Yep.

I've had the flu only once, and I swear I thought I was going to die. Had strep throat at the same time just to make things more interesting. Missed 3 days of work and I was literally in bed from Thursday night until sometime on Tuesday afternoon except for a trip to the doctor on Saturday. That was 11 years ago.

Haven't had a cold in years.

Dave76
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
I've had the flu maybe 3 times in my life. A lot of folks confuse a cough or common cold with the flu. They is different. I probably average a cold 3 times over 2 years. I try to cough daily.
Agreed. I had the flu once. It was in November 1992. Before that date, I would have told you that I'd had the flu a half dozen times. Once you really have the flu, there's no mistaking a bad cold for the flu.

DocHoss
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Agreed. I had the flu once. It was in November 1992. Before that date, I would have told you that I'd had the flu a half dozen times. Once you really have the flu, there's no mistaking a bad cold for the flu.

Exactly. The flu is serious **** and kills tens of thousands of people a year. I get the sniffles fairly often and colds now and then, but I don't think I've ever really had the flu - where first you are afraid you'll die and then you are afraid you won't. I get my flu shot every year - even if you do get flu, it won't be as bad.

And remember to wash your hands often and don't touch your eyes/nose/mouth! The biggest transmission comes from touching a contaminated surface (e.g. door knob) and then your face.

hemingersl
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
You all could be very correct. I just have a hunch and some articles on msn health regarding a diminution of cold symptom strength among physically active people made me wonder if there was more to it than simply effects on the symptoms of an illness.
I was also kind of curious, as there is so much research showing complimentary effects in so many health related areas beyond merely muscle synthesis.
*shrug*
I'm probably connecting dots that aren't there, lol. Thanks for the feedback though everyone.

otiskii
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
No, you're probably right but I think it's a combination of otherwise good health and an awareness of what's going on around you that does it. I think people that workout, eat right and generally take care of themselves stand a better chance of surviving lots of things both from a strong body and decent diet. And actually caring about something for longer than the next commercial.

jayluk4600
02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I have been sick here and there over the years. But since I have been dating and now am engaged to an ER nurse, seems this winter I have always had something or another. And I also have three children. When they get sick you gotta take care of them then guess what happens. I've trained since i was 15 and got a clean full bill of health in the fall and I still get sick. Maybe OP your just superman.

hemingersl
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Jay:
Thanks but I haven't jumped anything higher than a small snow drift 'in a single bound' in probably a decade. I don't know man... I'm just strange I guess.

I have been sick here and there over the years. But since I have been dating and now am engaged to an ER nurse, seems this winter I have always had something or another. And I also have three children. When they get sick you gotta take care of them then guess what happens. I've trained since i was 15 and got a clean full bill of health in the fall and I still get sick. Maybe OP your just superman.

Bofrere21
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Training and good nutrition make a considerable difference. For first protein keep the immunity system strong, especially Whey Isolate, but any diet with plenty of protein make a positive difference, better feeding means more nutriments for the immunity system too (vitamins & others micro-nutriments, anti-oxidants...) and less 'aggressors' like the sugars, artificial stuff, chemical stuff, etc.. take off a load on the system to deal. Training and good nutrition improve health in many aspect like one's that train will have a better insulin management, faster metabolism, better digestion (and evacuation), faster recuperation, etc... One who train will notice that he'll be better much faster when sick then before he wasn't training, AKA flu and cold don't hit as hard as they were.

On the other hand, over-training can lead to fragility, aka get easily sick. It's a balance

Eric