PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions for a Beginner

cprroy1973
01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
First I am currently doing madcow. I did SS before this. Right now I weigh 168-170 depending on the time of day. I am currently gaining about a pound every 2 weeks. My main lifts are.

squat 285x5
bench 210x5
dead 340x5
row 205x5
press 130x5

I have been on this program for 5 months. squats and deads are still progressing well. bench, rows and presses are slower. I sometimes have to repeat the previous weeks weights before adding 5lbs. I have reset the program on these lifts twice. I also do weighted dips once a week and weighted pullups too.

When should I move on to something else to keep progressing in bench,rows, and presses? Or should I take out the accessories or add something else?

To make myself clear I am not stalled on any of the lifts. They just take 2 weeks to progress. Is this ok?

I have noticed size increases mainly in my legs and back, some chest. Not really any size gain in biceps. Maybe some in the triceps.
I would like my arms to get bigger.
Should I add some bicep and tricep isolation stuff to help with the size?

rand18m
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
First I am currently doing madcow. I did SS before this. Right now I weigh 168-170 depending on the time of day. I am currently gaining about a pound every 2 weeks. My main lifts are.

squat 285x5
bench 210x5
dead 340x5
row 205x5
press 130x5

I have been on this program for 5 months. squats and deads are still progressing well. bench, rows and presses are slower. I sometimes have to repeat the previous weeks weights before adding 5lbs. I have reset the program on these lifts twice. I also do weighted dips once a week and weighted pullups too.

When should I move on to something else to keep progressing in bench,rows, and presses? Or should I take out the accessories or add something else?

To make myself clear I am not stalled on any of the lifts. They just take 2 weeks to progress. Is this ok?

I have noticed size increases mainly in my legs and back, some chest. Not really any size gain in biceps. Maybe some in the triceps.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep lifting and hypertrophy will come. Right now you are still making neural adaptations which is where your strength gains are coming primarily from. But, you have several months behind you so your getting closer. If your weights are going up you're making progress. Don't get frustrated, just keep chugging along. Also if you want to add arm work at the end by all means do so! If you wanted to do them on a separate day that would be fine as well. Over time you can get real creative with your accessory arm work in terms of exercises, volume, intensities etc. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

cprroy1973
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
thanks for the pointers and encouragement. Sometimes I can be impatient.

ironwill2008
01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I have been on this program for 5 months. squats and deads are still progressing well. bench, rows and presses are slower.

If you're still progressing at all after 20 weeks, you're doing quite well. Having the upper-body lifts move slower than lower body stuff is pretty normal.

I sometimes have to repeat the previous weeks weights before adding 5lbs.

Keep in mind that you don't have to bump every lift by 5 pounds. Get yourself a pair of 1 1/4 -pound plates so you can bump up the more difficult (for you) lifts by just 2 1/2 pounds. This is especially important to consider after you're deep into the program, as you currently find yourself. I'm sure somewhere in the program, Starr addresses the subject of "micro-loading."

That's entirely up to you, but I'd advise you that if what you're currently doing is moving you forward at all, don't mess with it until it no longer does so.

Yes, it's okay. Progress, regardless of the increment is still progress. You've done something that many posters here have never been able to do--find something at actually works for you. Run it until it falls down.

I don't recommend you make changes/additions to the program, and neither does Bill Starr. To do so will upset the balance that it relies on to provide the progress you're currently enjoying in your Squats and Deadlifts.

Run Madcow as-is until you stall every lift. Then, take a week off, and after that, jump into a generic 3-way bodybuilding split. After 20+ weeks of compound lifts, some direct arm work will make them blow up like baloons.

cprroy1973
01-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks again Will, Your advice on my diet while I was doing SS really helped me gain weight the right way. Also when you looked at my squat vid your advice to drop the weight and reset helped me pass a plateau.

So for the advice, Thanks really.

cprroy1973
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Sometimes with the way some of these programs are written, if I don't progress the same way the piece of paper says I should I think something is wrong somewhere with sleep, diet, or whatever. So I guess it is more of a goal or guideline and thats how I should look at it.

I get really pissed if I don't get the next PR for that week though. Which makes me more focused.

ironwill2008
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I get really pissed if I don't get the next PR for that week though. Which makes me more focused.
That's understandable; and that attitude will help push you forward as long as you're able to control it and use it to your advantage.

Realize though that the further you get down the path, the narrower the path becomes. IOW, the more you gain (either strength or mass or both) the more difficult it will be to take it further. That's one reason why there are so few guys who make it past a couple of years of training; when the early gains dry up, so does their enthusiasm. The key is to have a solid plan, and then stick with it no matter what.

After a few years of consistent training, you may have to work your tail off for weeks without seeing much progress at all in your logbook. At times like this (and there will be some of them), you just have to have faith in what you're doing, and keep grinding. Eventually you'll break through, and make a spurt of progress.

MERSINGER1
01-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Good solid compound lift training schedule. May just try weighted chins vs. A bunch of isolation work. Hard to beat good old straight barbell curls if you feel the need. Ditto on the nutrition comments.