PDA

View Full Version : I'm in need of a serious treadmill and looking for suggestions.

painthappy
01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Because... (also posted in my journal):

Well... I win.

It was Painthappy vs the Treadmill, and the outcome wasn't pretty...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6792491147_1b533e54bf_z.jpg

8.2 mph for 3 miles.. well.. Almost 3 miles. Smoke from the circuit board. That CAN'T BE GOOD...

ProForm 550, you were good, but I won this battle. Better luck next time with someone who has a new years resolution they can't keep....

So;

This treadmill was good for ~4 or 5 years... But my serious running, and still heavy stature finally killed the treadmill. I don't want to spend a TON of money, but I'm willing to put down some cash for a good quality treadmill and motor. 60" tread would be nice, commercial motor, and 12 mph, not 10....

I see a lot out there, but reviews are horribly mixed and most of them are from manufacturers posting up. So I'm looking for some honest responses and figured I would get them here.

I found this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00624989000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

But looking for thoughts, and other suggestions. Thanks in advance. I'll give the old one a proper burial.

CaptChip40
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a Nordic Track treadmill, bought it in 2003 and it is still running. I only use it occasionally and off and on since 2003. Never had a problem with it but never got anywhere near 8-9 MPH.
At least you can claim you ran yours to death. Have you checked Craigslist in your area, I would think just about this time the resolutionist would be ready to sell their stuff.

painthappy
01-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I like the lifetime warranty on the motor for nordic track treadmills and 3 years on the parts. Seems a good deal to me.

I'd run outside more if I didn't live on the side of a mountain.

kcmoto
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Life Fitness Treadmill.

BillReilly
01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
I just go outside.

ironwill2008
01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Life Fitness Treadmill.
^^^^ Their stuff is good, but very expensive. Another good brand is Vision Fitness.

If you really want something that will hold up, scour craigslist for a used commercial machine. Most are built like tanks, designed to be run on by obese people 24/7, 365.

Unless it's all you can find, I'd suggest you stay away from department store stuff; models/brands change all the time, making finding repair parts similar to looking for a needle in a haystack. They might claim it has a 'lifetime" warranty, but getting them to back it up is another thing altogether.

If you're looking for more information, OP, I'd suggest you do a 'forum search' in the 'equipment' forum. This topic has been covered in there extensively over the years.

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
sooo a few years back we bought our first treadmill...I think it was a Horizon something or other
used it every day.
I used it. my husband used it
One day it stopped working all together..
I found the book that came with it..called the number
the first question they asked me was
"did you lubricate your machine regularly?"
I said "huh?"
second question:
"did you purchase the two year protection plan on repairs and parts when you bought it?"
My husband said "huh?"
live and learn..live and learn..:)
it was cheaper to buy a new one with the protection plan
then to have the old one repaired

flairon
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Life Fitness Treadmill.

This.

I have a LF treadmill in the garage, it's a beast. shock absorbing deck, 4amp motor. I did a bit of research on tmills before I bought one. The heavier you are the bigger motor you're going to need. The average motors in most tmills are around the 2-3 amp mark. 3 amp is good up to about 290-300lbs, 4 amp will go up to 400lbs. If you get a tmill that isn't made for your weight, you'll smoke the board or the motor or both. The higher the motor amperage, generally the more expensive the tmill. The one I picked up is regularly 3200, I got it for 700 from a guy on craigslist that had just opened up a gym right before the economy tanked and the gym went under. He had a big polebarn full of brand newish commercial tmills and other big exercise equip. This one had like 100 hours on it when i got it and was in pretty good shap. It has a data port on it to connect to a network or pc to track workouts and if you look around you can find all kind of cool accessories that will let you add small lcd tv's, radios and speakers. If you do a quick look on the internet you can probably find guys in your area that will service that thing relatively cheap, or you can look around on craigslist

keeko
01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Honestly, like Ironwill says I would stay away from almost everything in sears, and look at some specialty stores. Cheaper brands include Lifespan and Spirit; more expensive include True, Life Fitness, and Landice...
and of course there's always CL

tacdgb
01-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I hear that Precor Treadmills are good. Just the price is a little high. I also hear they are good quality. Good luck on your search.

stingray72
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I walk back and forth in my apartment until i burn 400 calories when im not at the gym. I use my body bugg as my calorie tracking device.

mharrislove
01-31-2012, 02:33 AM
This guy knows what he's talking about:

http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/

tsoden
01-31-2012, 03:01 AM
Honestly, like Ironwill says I would stay away from almost everything in sears, and look at some specialty stores. Cheaper brands include Lifespan and Spirit; more expensive include True, Life Fitness, and Landice...
and of course there's always CLuse to have a Spirit...bought from a fitness shop...the thing was literally a tank...lasted over 10years before we decided to sell it (along with the rest of our equipment) when we got our gym memberships.

Skidmarx
01-31-2012, 03:02 AM
A lot of the commercial treadmills run off 230v, so keep that in mind.

I used to have a Cybex Trotter, was a damn good treadmill. I see them used on craigslist sometimes, $500-$700.

painthappy
01-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the pointers and suggestions. I'm going to check out craigslist today and there is a gym supply shop the next town over, so I'll also see what they carry.

flairon
01-31-2012, 05:16 AM
If you get a used one, do a quick search on the net for maintenance on the model. Most every decent treadmill has a maintenance schedule that will greatly extend the life of the unit and likely they have an online manual. As silly as it sounds, I found a couple sites that stated you should use this super duper fancy lubrication spray on the deck under the belt, and they all also said that a light coat of spray cooking oil, then wipe off excess will do just fine. It does make a difference, you can definately tell there is a difference in the load on the motor by the sound after you wipe it down. I keep it pretty clean to try to keep down on possible maint. needs and extend the service life. The only problem I have with the LF I have is the size, its a big treadmill. It only took two of us to get it in and out of the truck, but good luck getting that wide/tall bastard in a standard door if you want to put it inside your house.

eyeswideshut23
01-31-2012, 05:26 AM
I have the "horizon gs1050t" its really good imo. Goes up to 12mph, 12%incline. I believe its only a 55" tread tho

calmere
01-31-2012, 05:26 AM
I will echo the benefits of finding a commercial treadmill used. I picked up an old StarTrac 2000 (1990s) from a physical therapy office for $100.00. It is literally built like a tank and had pretty light use in the PT office. It does run on a 220V circuit which is the main reason nobody bought it (combination of extra cost for a circuit and fear). Also, StarTrac just stopped supporting this model, the rep said they lasted too long. I was able to get a manual from my gym that also still has a few. I am beyond happy with it and its strength, even my wife likes it.

I was patient and almost pulled the trigger on several Pro-Form, Bnordic Tacks, etc. but the reviews very all over and I onley want to move it into the basement once!

Happy hunting

painthappy
01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
I suppose the benefit I have in all this, is that it's all in my basement. I have a walk out basement, with a double door for moving big things in and out. Can basically drive my pickup truck up to the door.... And my home's power and circuit breaker panel is where my gym is located. So if I had to put in a new breaker to run the treadmill, I could.

The only issue I have with a lot of the commercial treadmills is that I'm just not familiar with their names. Reviews online aren't all that great. You always have the 5 star review, and then the 1 star someone-bought-a-lemon review.

Off to search what's in my area today. I'd like to have one up and running for next week. I'm on a good schedule and don't want to fall off to far.

x-trainer ben
01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I use this site for research b4 all purchases http://www.consumersearch.com/treadmills