PDA

View Full Version : Soreness...

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm about 3-4 weeks into my lifting program. I've noticed on three different occasions I have real bad soreness that strikes two days after I've targeted a certain muscle.

So I'll target a certain muscle one day, the next day I'm somewhat okay, then the third day I'm really really sore, definitely more than the second day.

It's happened so far to my calf's, biceps and quads...if it matters.

Is this 'normal'?

Thanks.

jtrean
01-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Search D.O.M.S

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Search D.O.M.S

Yep that's it exactly. So I guess it's somewhat normal, unless it keeps happening to the same muscle?

TheIronMaster
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I still get doms bad in my legs and i been pumping iron for 3 1/2 years now. And some in my pecs too but not nearly as bad. So it may or may not go away for you. Everyone responds differently to lifting.

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I still get doms bad in my legs and i been pumping iron for 3 1/2 years now. And some in my pecs too but not nearly as bad. So it may or may not go away for you. Everyone responds differently to lifting.

OMG, are you serious? That sucks. It is extremely painful, as you know. Does reducing the amount of weight you lift per set help at all?

As long as I'm maintaining muscle growth then I guess I'll have to get use to it.

ruining
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
When I first started, same thing happened to me. My triceps hurt so bad 2 days later, I couldn't bend my arm enough to touch my face. After that, I could work them just as hard, and they would be tender, but never that bad.

jtrean
01-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Yep that's it exactly. So I guess it's somewhat normal, unless it keeps happening to the same muscle?

I am sore every week, in every body part, a day or two after I work it out. If you are working hard then you will be sore.

jtrean
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
OMG, are you serious? That sucks. It is extremely painful, as you know. Does reducing the amount of weight you lift per set help at all?

As long as I'm maintaining muscle growth then I guess I'll have to get use to it.

If it is extremely painful then there is a good chance that you are over training and should reduce your workout volume. Muscles should be sore, not painful.

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
If it is extremely painful then there is a good chance that you are over training and should reduce your workout volume. Muscles should be sore, not painful.

Yeah, that's the thing, it's not the normal soreness, it's downright painful. My calf's are hurting me now, can hardly walk.

Guess I'll stick with my routine, if it continues in a month or so, I'll back off on the weight.

Thanks everyone for the responses! It's somewhat comforting to know I'm working working at a good intensity.

TheIronMaster
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Yes agreed if its to pain full cut back some till your better conditioned.

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes agreed if its to pain full cut back some till your better conditioned.

I'm just frustrated because I want to start cardio (20 min jog) but haven't been able to last two weeks, cause either my quads, calf's or hamstrings have been sore.

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
it really just depends on how well you gotta get around for the day or two after...if you are gonna be home for the weekend and can hobble around your house and its just your family making fun of you...well that may not be so bad..
if you got get up and go to work or some other rather active activity and cannot function in your normal routine? you may need to ease off just a bit and build it up a little more gradually.:)
I hate to break it to you but...you will always...always feels some kind of tenderness in the areas you work a day or so after..just depends on how hard you pushed yourself and how conditioned you are..
been doing this for three years..still hurts sometimes but...I am used to it by now:)

rand18m
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm about 3-4 weeks into my lifting program. I've noticed on three different occasions I have real bad soreness that strikes two days after I've targeted a certain muscle.

So I'll target a certain muscle one day, the next day I'm somewhat okay, then the third day I'm really really sore, definitely more than the second day.

It's happened so far to my calf's, biceps and quads...if it matters.

Is this 'normal'?

Thanks.

It's perfectly normal, and it is possible you are experiencing DOMS but this will subside in a short time if you keep exercising. You will have soreness have from working out likely from now on, but not debilitating soreness. Not everyone is susceptible to DOMS, personally I am big time. However general soreness shouldn't be confused with DOMS. Do not work out that muscle until the debilitating soreness goes away. You can wait until it completely goes away if you like, that can take a week. Once you begin working out routinely that severe soreness will go away. Oh, and to answer your question about the third day being the worst, that is the case for most people. Keep working out and good luck, let us know if you keep having problems.

chodan9
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
its normal especially early on
I will go for months sometimes with no major soreness now, I have had some of my best growth times with no soreness.
But when it comes back its like an old friend.

kmw1
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
I have been lifting for 6 months and still get DOMS very bad in my quads. I may have a little soreness after working other muscles ,but my quads will be sore to the touch for days. I just deal with it.

jcbuche
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
At first I was just concerned that I wasn't supplying my body with enough protein or something, cause to be honest that's #1 for me, gaining muscle mass. But that doesn't appear to be the case, so I'll figure out what works best for me.

Thanks for all the responses and support!

zedx
01-30-2012, 07:12 PM
if you are getting too sore cut back some. i always get sore. if i don't I know i didn't work out hard enough. But there is a place in soreness i don't like to go. And it's that really sore feeling like the muscle died or something. It usually happens in my chest if i over do it

Jtbny
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Soreness or lack of soreness is not an indicator of a good work out. That's nonsense.

Gauge your workout by your progression in weight, reps or both not on how sore you are the next day.

zedx
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Soreness or lack of soreness is not an indicator of a good work out. That's nonsense.

Gauge your workout by your progression in weight, reps or both not on how sore you are the next day.

It's not nonsense. Even Frank Zane has said he needs to get sore to feel he got a good work out.
Right now I'm not in the mood to argue about something like this with a stranger over the net. So I'll refrain from further comments.

Jtbny
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
It's not nonsense. Even Frank Zane has said he needs to get sore to feel he got a good work out.
Right now I'm not in the mood to argue about something like this with a stranger over the net. So I'll refrain from further comments.

I think you are missing the point....

So let me phrase it this way, if you aren't sore does that mean you didn't have a good work out?

ironwill2008
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM

^^^^ This. Progression is the engine that drives growth, not "soreness."

OP, you're sore because you're not yet conditioned to the workload. Stay on your schedule, and you'll gradually get away from the crippling DOMS. In order to do so though, you have to do the work; on training days when you're still sore, do some extra overall warmups, and an exra warmup set or two of your first few exercises. By that time, you should be loosened up enough that the sorenesss has subsided enough for you to get in your scheduled workout.

zedx
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I think you are missing the point....

So let me phrase it this way, if you aren't sore does that mean you didn't have a good work out?

My other issues are set aside now, I can think straight.

Of course not since there are many properties to working out and different desires as far as running or lifting weights of whatever your exercise may be. I don't run so I don't know what it feels like to be exhausted from it anymore since i was a kid.

But again for me, in my definition of the weight lifting I'm involved in I do have to get sore. because if i don't feel it the next day or the following day I could therefor do it again right then and there . The only thing from keeping me from working the same muscle out again in 2 days is the feeling of being worn out, or soreness.

So if i wasn't sore I could then workout again 2 days later. But I don't want to do that. I want to hit them hard enough so that I don't WANT to or feel like I can do that again for at least 4 days or a week.

And that's how I know I worked out well and soreness always comes with that for me.

mrevoeight
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I would consider taking some Whey Protein before and after workouts, for me it helps with recovery. Some people like soreness after a workout, I dont. I workout every day 1 hour, 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights. If I missed a workout cause I was too sore I'd be upset. So again Whey Protein.

Frnkd
01-31-2012, 12:53 AM
This is what my trainer told me regarding body builders, " we're always in pain" , oh, was my response. What she told me (she was a competitor, btw) was to do counter stretches after each set, it stimulates the muscle as well as reduce the potential for pain after. doms

Whether this is good advice , I've been following it, and though I do experience pain, I cannot imagine what if I didn't.

Is this something that has validation with others?

BloodySalad
01-31-2012, 02:49 AM
L Glutamine works for me.
There's some argument as to wether it's effective but it's cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try. I take 2x5mg a day. One after workout, one just before bed.
Simple result of that was that when I take it, I don't get DOMS so bad. When I don't take it, I do get painful DOMS.

hochspeyer
01-31-2012, 02:57 AM
L Glutamine works for me.
There's some argument as to wether it's effective but it's cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try. I take 2x5mg a day. One after workout, one just before bed.
Simple result of that was that when I take it, I don't get DOMS so bad. When I don't take it, I do get painful DOMS.

I agree- it doesn't seem to work for everyone (like most supplements, I suppose). But, my experience has been that l-glutamine in a protein shake lessens the DOMS.