PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding benefits - Golf!

drudixon
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
I went out and played golf for the first time in 3 years on Sunday. The last time I played I weighed 148lbs and could drive it around 240. The course is a little par 48 (3 pars 4s, rest 3) in Marietta, GA called Legacy. It's a cheap round. My buddy who's pretty good and very patient (has to be to play with a blind golfer) went with me. It took a while to figure out how to swing again and get into a double bogey groove (doubles are average for me, bogeys good, pars exceptional, and I've never hit a birdie). Anyway, the first par 4 the hole is 250ish. I sprayed the ball 2 fairways over, but felt decent because I hit it very far out of bounds, lol. The next part 4 is 270 to the pin. The group in front of us was walking off when I hit. Well, douchebag me, I buzzed one of the guys and hit it 20 yards over the green. The guys were real cool about it when we got up there. Though I was chipping for eagle, I ended up with a par because I suck. A few holes later is a 240 yard par 4 with a hard dog leg left. You're supposed to lay up then chip on. I pulled out the driver again. The same two guys were on the backside of the green (hidden from view) when I smashed another. It went 10 yards past the hole, hit a tree about 50 feet up and ricocheted onto the fringe of the green. The guys were cool about it again and told us where my ball was. Of course I made sure to flub it over the green, flub it back, and two putt for a bogey... Anyway, for a modestly strong guy like me to be whacking 280-300 yard drives with no practice, gotta wonder what the strongmen who play a little here could crank out.

Guinea-pig
01-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I play on average twice a week whacking it around 260- 290 with a good controlled swing.

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I can't golf for s|-|it, and never have been able to. When I do connect, I can hit that sucker a mile, but that's rare. Maybe if you're already a decent golf getting strogner will help your game, but being strong doesn't really help a crappy golfer. LMAO.

I used to work with a guy that found his chest development hindered his game, so in the winter he'd bench heavy, then in the spring he'd back off so he didn't wreck his golf game.

litljay
01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
I've noticed the benefits too. I love the game, but suck at it. I'm probably 2 club lengths longer now.

IronCharles
01-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I'd say driving distance is 90% technique, 10% strength. The longest drivers on the PGA tour have historically been skinny fat guys with a little paunch. In fact, I agree with -=FLEX=-'s assesment, that a lot of muscle can actually hinder your swing somewhat. I've noticed that my extra pectoral mass has shortened my natural backswing a little bit.

bigtallox
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
gotta wonder what the strongmen who play a little here could crank out.

I played a lot of golf as a kid. I never liked it, my dad was a golfer and he pretty much forced me and my brother to play golf as kids. My brother went on and eventually became a pro golfer. I have no desire to play the course, but occasionally I'll go hit my driver on the driving range. I have a custom made long drive driver. I can hit the fence at the local driving range.

This was before I got my long drive driver ( my old driver sucked ), it's also about a month after I tore my bicep ( so I wasn't taking full swings )...

1PSb1st7mgU

Skidmarx
01-31-2012, 03:20 AM
I'd say driving distance is 90% technique, 10% strength. The longest drivers on the PGA tour have historically been skinny fat guys with a little paunch. In fact, I agree with -=FLEX=-'s assesment, that a lot of muscle can actually hinder your swing somewhat. I've noticed that my extra pectoral mass has shortened my natural backswing a little bit.

this ^^^

Golf is mostly flexibilty and technique. I've seen big dudes hit wussy drives and I've seen skinny twerps abolutely crush it.
Being tall helps, since the swing arc is larger(more head speed).

billb7581
01-31-2012, 05:07 AM
I could always hit it pretty good.. .chipping and putting eludes me though, I am a strong scramble player.