PDA

View Full Version : protein/carbs and ketosis?

jrctherake
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Is it ok to drink one protein shake a day while on a keto diet?

Example shake would be:

protein=48g
carbs=8g
sugars=2g
fat=2g
cholesterol=60mg
sodium=180mg
calories=240

I know as with any diet I need to do fall back on whole foods every chance I get but I am looking for a way to keep my protein up while in situations where I can not eat food.

Also how many carbs can a person have and get into and stay in ketosis? Is it a generalized number or is it an individual thing learned by trial and error? Either way what is your experience?

Thanks!!! I hope these are not to common or stupid questions. I have done research but some articles contradict one another so I thought it best to just ask you folks.

I just started a journal for diet/training and would like to start out on the right foot.

Thanks much!!!

KLMARB
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Is it ok to drink one protein shake a day while on a keto diet?

Example shake would be:

protein=48g
carbs=8g
sugars=2g
fat=2g
cholesterol=60mg
sodium=180mg
calories=240

I know as with any diet I need to do fall back on whole foods every chance I get but I am looking for a way to keep my protein up while in situations where I can not eat food.

Also how many carbs can a person have and get into and stay in ketosis? Is it a generalized number or is it an individual thing learned by trial and error? Either way what is your experience?

Thanks!!! I hope these are not to common or stupid questions. I have done research but some articles contradict one another so I thought it best to just ask you folks.

I just started a journal for diet/training and would like to start out on the right foot.

Thanks much!!!

Sure, especially if it's right after training. The general rule for keto is less than 30g of carbs per day, at least when first starting keto. Myself, it now takes several hundred grams to knock me out of keto, as I'm considered "fat adapted".

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Check the Keto forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61 You'll get answers to everything you want to know about keto.