PDA

View Full Version : A quick note to the guy doing squats next to me:

Singe03
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Dear dude,

Congrats on 6 reps and 10 more lbs I "can" do, you win, you are stronger, better looking, cooler, smarter, better at lifting weights, whatever you want to be.

I'd like to give a few pointers though:

I'm not your best competition, for one, I'm really not competitive at the gym, I have my daily plan, my log, my MP3 player and I'm in my own little world. Secondly, out squatting me by 10lbs is like winning a drag race against a golf cart. I'm getting there but I'm no competition to anyone right now. I did notice you mentally tallying up what was on my bar and adding 10lbs. If you want to compete, there are a couple guys around who could give you more of a challenge.

Safety bars do not go at "just above the hip" level for squats.

Warmup sets are good, especially if you have no clue how much weight you can handle.

Squats involve going deeper than almost 45 degrees, they do not involve wiggling side to side like a hula dancer.

Also congrats on not turning in to Bonzo the incredible human accordion, which is what I really thought was about to happen when I saw the look on your face when you unracked.

Sincerely,

The other guy at the squat racks.

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I did 20 more lbs than you bro, not 10.

Singe03
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Argh, I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry folks, could a mod please move this to 035 misc or just delete?

OutOfStep
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Congrats on 6 reps and 10 more lbs I "can" do, you win, you are stronger, better looking, cooler, smarter, better at lifting weights, whatever you want to be.

Wow. Insecure much?

I'm in my own little world.

No you're not. You're busy worrying about the other people in the gym and what they might be thinking about you. I doubt these people even notice you are there. Get over your social anxiety and focus on your lifts. Believe it or not, you aren't the center of everyone's attention like you think you are in your head.

Singe03
01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Eh, whatever man...

otiskii
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, I thought it was funny.

champ07
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
What have you written for encounters on other pieces of gym equipment?Sounds like you were working out next to Mr.Bean.......lol

BeeCharmer
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Hysterical...

DubfromGA
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Hey,OP.....was the guy beside you smacking gum real loud?

Smelly bull
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Wow. Insecure much?

No you're not. You're busy worrying about the other people in the gym and what they might be thinking about you. I doubt these people even notice you are there. Get over your social anxiety and focus on your lifts. Believe it or not, you aren't the center of everyone's attention like you think you are in your head.

Would rep but gotta spread the reps around....

flat6nut
01-31-2012, 03:14 AM
I did 20 more lbs than you bro, not 10.

I highly doubt it...I have seen your lifts. ;)

carolinachip
01-31-2012, 04:35 AM
I just make friends with people at the gym...

Of course that's likey based in my incredible ability to be the worlds greatest bass fisherman too.

At the lake, it's between me an that fish.

At the gym, it's between me and that weight.

Btw.... I would have caught a bass 1 ounce larger than you too! And danced like Elvis while reeling it in.

Get back to basics and dont be so anxious about the bigger guy next too you... Ha!

-=FLEX=-
01-31-2012, 04:49 AM
Those aren't squats; they're barbell curls. GTFO.

:D

David Wiggins
01-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Love it OP! I usually don't pay much attention to others in the gym, but sometimes you just can't help yourself.

I actually had a "new guy" in the gym approach me not long ago while I had 225lbs on the bench. He says,"You are a big dude. I thought you were stronger than that".

I just smiled and told him that was all I was good for that day....... Then I laid down and popped out 10 nose busters...

He didn't say much after that. LOL

Singe03
01-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Eh I was going to drop it even though it somewhat amused me. Yesterday was a bad enough day in several other ways so I avoided the flame bait.

It's true though, it is hard to not notice some things at the gym no matter what I'm doing. When someone stares at you and the bar in front of you while you are taking a break between sets, you notice it. When someone new to the gym is swinging a kettle bell in your general direction, you notice it, it's a survival instinct, you may have to dodge at any minute.

Yeah Flex, don't let that dude accuse you of squatting in the curl rack.

-=FLEX=-
01-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah Flex, don't let that dude accuse you of squatting in the curl rack.

Lulz. My gym has two squat racks. I monopolized one for about 90 minutes today, and yes I was actually squatting. The other one next to me was empty about half that time, and when it was in use not one person used it for doing squats. LMAO.

Singe03
01-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Lulz. My gym has two squat racks. I monopolized one for about 90 minutes today, and yes I was actually squatting. The other one next to me was empty about half that time, and when it was in use not one person used it for doing squats. LMAO.

Same, we have two side by side. The annoying thing is there is little floor space for free weights unless you are either using or right in front of one of the racks and blocking anyone else from using it. There is room to curl next to one of them but not enough room for a full sized bar for cleans / deads and other stuff.

Great gym and relatively cheap as gyms go, just kind of cramped unless someone uses machines exclusively and I really can't find better remotely in my area. PF and a Bally's kind of close by but the Bally's is always absolutely packed, I've never even been inside. Fortunately only a hand full of us use that area in the morning and we all get along and work around each other well.

Thats the one thing I am a little self conscious about, taking up residence in that limited space for so long 3 days a week.

TenThreeFive
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
It's true though, it is hard to not notice some things at the gym no matter what I'm doing. When someone new to the gym is swinging a kettle bell in your general direction.

Yes it can be very distracting.

http://guideforhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_2342_kettlebell-butt-exercise-sexy-female-fitness-model-shows-you-how-300x196.jpg

Blackjack68
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
gym approach me not long ago while I had 225lbs on the bench. He says,"You are a big dude. I thought you were stronger than that".

Should have replied.... "And I thought you were smarter than that".

2BLAZERS
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
At our age, 35+. There is always someone smarter, better looking, stronger, faster, richer, thinner, buffer, etc...I try to ignore all and get my workouts done and get home to my hot wife, my great dog and my awesome daughter:)

I'd say when I was younger I cared more about how much I lifted compared to others at the gym. As I've gotten wiser I don't really care to much if someone is curling more, squating more or doing whatever some of the cheesy things some people do at the gym.

CoolandGroovy
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
At our age, 35+. There is always someone smarter, better looking, stronger, faster, richer, thinner, buffer, etc...I try to ignore all and get my workouts done and get home to my hot wife, my great dog and my awesome daughter:)

I'd say when I was younger I cared more about how much I lifted compared to others at the gym. As I've gotten wiser I don't really care to much if someone is curling more, squating more or doing whatever some of the cheesy things some people do at the gym.

True, but must admit that I often watch what other people are lifting (but covertly). Bit of respect thing and sometimes gets me motivated to put that extra weight on for an extra set.

Karl_Hungus
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
You seem paranoid -- Sounds like you were the one looking at what was on his bar and counting HIS reps. He was probably thinking "why is this guy next to me obsessed with what I am squatting?"

bodyhard
01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Dear dude,

I'd like to give a few pointers though:

I'm not your best competition, for one, I'm really not competitive at the gym, I have my daily plan, my log, my MP3 player and I'm in my own little world. Secondly, out squatting me by 10lbs is like winning a drag race against a golf cart. I'm getting there but I'm no competition to anyone right now. I did notice you mentally tallying up what was on my bar and adding 10lbs. If you want to compete, there are a couple guys around who could give you more of a challenge.

Safety bars do not go at "just above the hip" level for squats.

Warmup sets are good, especially if you have no clue how much weight you can handle.

Squats involve going deeper than almost 45 degrees, they do not involve wiggling side to side like a hula dancer.

Also congrats on not turning in to Bonzo the incredible human accordion, which is what I really thought was about to happen when I saw the look on your face when you unracked.

Sincerely,

The other guy at the squat racks.

So let me get this straight, you had this all in your head, waited to get home to then type this out in your computer, instead of just telling the guy who was right next to you all the above?

Hmmmm interesting..

Skidmarx
02-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Singe - Epic fail, but you tried to be funny(i think). Some guys around here are too serious.

cockywop
02-01-2012, 05:34 AM
So let me get this straight, you had this all in your head, waited to get home to then type this out in your computer, instead of just telling the guy who was right next to you all the above?

Hmmmm interesting..

Nailed it

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 06:45 AM
I actually had a "new guy" in the gym approach me not long ago while I had 225lbs on the bench. He says,"You are a big dude. I thought you were stronger than that".

holey moley! another reminder of why I love training at home...

really? what Fking nerve!!!!!

JOHN GARGANI
02-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Hmmmm interesting..

just too funny! lol....reps whenever that stupid spread passes....

JRT6
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I get dirty looks from a guy power-clean-curling in the gyms only squat rack. I swear this standoffish old guy only does bi's and he thinks he's jacked for a 60 year old. I'll admit it does jack up the intesity when I squat. Heck I squated twice last week just because this dude appeared so ammuzed.

2BLAZERS
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
I get dirty looks from a guy power-clean-curling in the gyms only squat rack. I swear this standoffish old guy only does bi's and he thinks he's jacked for a 60 year old. I'll admit it does jack up the intesity when I squat. Heck I squated twice last week just because this dude appeared so ammuzed.

I think some people are just way to easy to piss off. You look at them, you don't look at them, you smile at them, you don't smile at them, you lift more then them, you do leg day on their leg day, you do to many ab crunches, you have headphones in or you don't, you do the same weight as them but one more rep or better form. You talk to someone at the gym....it just goes on and on. I do my thing and move on. Seems like in the world there are so many haters of everyone and everything.