PDA

View Full Version : Is there any benefit to wearing heavy sweats to work out?

billb7581
01-30-2012, 06:58 AM
I see guys in the gym with hoodies and full on sweats. I sweat enough in sweatpants and a T shirt. I cant imagine wearing several layers to work out, I would be drenched.

chodan9
01-30-2012, 07:13 AM
I dont think there is.
may help keep you a little warmer but IMO that a function of your workout not your wardrobe.
Some guys like to keep the hood up to keep others from engaging with them in conversation.

Guinea-pig
01-30-2012, 07:18 AM
I have four herniated discs in my lower back so I wear sweats to keep me warm between sets.

tsoden
01-30-2012, 08:10 AM
i have four herniated discs in my lower back so i wear sweats to keep me warm between sets.

ouch!

geer_matt
01-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Only thing thats going to help with is dropping water weight, kind of a wrestlers thing.

BillReilly
01-30-2012, 08:20 AM
I workout in the nude.

billb7581
01-30-2012, 09:21 AM
I understand keeping your elbows and knees warm, but goddamn some of these guys are wearing more clothes than I did getting out of the car LOL.

Guff
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
People still believe the old myth that you can sweat away fat.

ArchAngel'73
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Hoodies make you look bad ass, and considering the placebo effect, makes you train bad ass.
(not srs)

starbuck72
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Hoodies yes, as I get tired of digging my ipod from between my legs...

Iceman1800
01-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I wear all that because for some reason, it helps me focus. The hoodie blocks out everything around me that is a distraction.

GnomusMaximus
01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
The pants absorb farts.

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
My gym is generally freezing in the winter and sweltering in the summer. So in winter I wear sweats, a hoodie and a knit ski hat. The owner is keeping costs down. It wouldn't be any different if I worked out in my garage. What I pay in monthly fees he's putting back into new equipment and upgrades, so it's all good. Once I start to warm up from the workout, the layers come off.

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
The pants absorb farts.

That too. Especially if you put a panty liner in them.

Well, hey ****ing-A, I just know stuff!

ruining
01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
I wear heavy sweats for two reasons. I'm covering my eczema that plagues me every winter, and I have OCD and don't want to be slathered in other people's sweat if they didn't wipe down a bench. I also like that hood up means less distractions.

Iceman1800
01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
The pants absorb farts.plus this allows for selective crop dusting around those who curl in the squat rack :)....

JOHN GARGANI
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I workout in the nude.

spoon pics, please...

lol...

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 01:43 PM
plus this allows for selective crop dusting around those who curl in the squat rack :)....
alright now...dat's just nasty ewww
when my son was in high school football they did this to make weight..

I do mean..wearing sweats...not panytyliners:)

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
OK, 'cause I was going to say that farts don't weigh anything.

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
OK, 'cause I was going to say that farts don't weigh anything.
I dunno...they are little air bubbles....if you keep them all in will you weigh less...???;)

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I dunno...they are little air bubbles....if you keep them all in will you weigh less...???;)

Hmm... for underwater body fat measurements, they do make you "expel" all air. Maybe they make you buoyant. What, they make you laugh so hard until you fart!? :confused:

Oh, I see this thread spiraling the drain, as do so many. :D

sok454
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
plus this allows for selective crop dusting around those who curl in the squat rack :)....

I hate squatters in the curl rack.

My gym not many wear the hoodies or even sweat pants. Although some guys like to wear really really tight shirts. After I warm up I tend to strip down to my shorts and t-shirt.

plumher
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
alright now...dat's just nasty ewww
when my son was in high school football they did this to make weight..
:)

high school football now has weight classes. That's a new one to me.

llahhsoj
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I see guys in the gym with hoodies and full on sweats. I sweat enough in sweatpants and a T shirt. I cant imagine wearing several layers to work out, I would be drenched.

Heavy sweats will help the bulge between your legs not stick out so much.

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
high school football now has weight classes. That's a new one to me.
whoops my memory..sorry I meant junior high and yes, they did have to make weight in 6th, 7th, 8th in order to play...not when he got to 9th and up..thank goodness:)

db_ggmm
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
I do wear sweats to the gym in Winter to stay warm. I've spent the past three Summers working out in a small, unventilated, home garage gym. Nothing seems hot any more.

The other thing which pains me to admit is that wearing a sweatshirt helps me squat by providing just a touch of cushion for the bar.

nixter
01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I always though it was so guys could get their muscle pumped up before taking off their sweatshirt and revealing their guns, or lack there of.

Kraken
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
As long as you're comfortable, thats what matters. Excessive sweating is counter productive to pretty much any exercising you're doing, whether it be cardio or weight training.

Warming up your body and staying cool are actually two different things too. You can be cool and have "warmed up" muscles.

taf1968
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I would spontaneously combust if I tried to lift wearing a hoodie. Obviously works for some people, though . . . I see them in my gym as well. To each their own.

ruining
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Excessive sweating is counter productive to pretty much any exercising you're doing, whether it be cardio or weight training.

How does that work? I sweat like a giant, fat pig. Am I losing out on something that I'm unaware of?

Frnkd
01-30-2012, 11:40 PM
No one mentioned sunglasses, that would complete the look.....or the baggy pants with boxers showing, now that is a cool dude lifter!

flat6nut
01-31-2012, 03:36 AM
To hide their little legs they never train.

billb7581
01-31-2012, 05:01 AM
As long as you're comfortable, thats what matters. Excessive sweating is counter productive to pretty much any exercising you're doing, whether it be cardio or weight training.

Warming up your body and staying cool are actually two different things too. You can be cool and have "warmed up" muscles.

Cool, I just wasn't sure if there was some hidden benefit to wearing all those clothes that I was missing LOL.

flairon
01-31-2012, 05:05 AM
I do sometimes. Keeps my muscles warm, reduces injury, but usually thats only in the winter. I wear shorts made of sweats material most of the time, just more comfortable because I hate having stuff holding onto my legs tight like that when I'm moving. I'm not wild about hoodies unless they have no arms. They always feel somewhat restrictive otherwise. But they hood is kind of handy on squat day to pad your shoulders

Kraken
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
How does that work? I sweat like a giant, fat pig. Am I losing out on something that I'm unaware of?

I think I worded that wrong. Let me clarify.

When exercising, you should do everything you can to stay cool. When you sweat, the body is trying to cool off. Excessive sweating means you're body is having issues staying cool (unless you have a medical problem causing the sweat). Being too hot can lead to dehydration, faster build up of lactic acid, and I have read an article once that described glycogen stores getting sucked up faster, but I am not sure how much water that holds, no pun intended. It's debated that we don't use up all of our glycogen stores, so that one I take with a grain of salt.

A simple search on the web for heat and exercise can throw a ton of info at you about the effects of heat on your body while active. So sweating itself is ok, but training in really hot conditions won't be optimal, unless you're specifically training in that temp for a reason, like if you have a meet where it's going to be hot and you need to get your body to adjust to that heat.

kmal2t
01-31-2012, 12:25 PM
wearing many layers of sweats in a climate controlled gym is stupid but I do see some benefits to wearing some sweats in all seasons. It'll make you sweat a little which means the blood is flowing so you aren't working out cold and take 30 minutes into your workout to finally be warmed up. I hate that.

sakoy
01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
I wear long sweat pants sometimes just for deadlifts

Minotaur
01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
When exercising, you should do everything you can to stay cool. When you sweat, the body is trying to cool off.

^ This. And the more muscle you carry, the more heat you generate, and the harder it is to get rid of the heat. When sweat evaporates it take heat with it. If it can't evaporate, no heat loss.

Marius_Ursus
01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Hoodies make you look bad ass, and considering the placebo effect, makes you train bad ass.
(not srs)

The psychology works on me, not for hoodies, but the beanie knit cap is a good trigger for me...sort of a ritual, like a haka.