PDA

View Full Version : Results: With and Without a Workout Partner

HeyItsMoses
01-30-2012, 01:57 AM
When you go to the gym to workout, are you working out by yourself, or do you have a workout partner?

Also, do you think a person will see better/faster results with a workout partner than he would without one?

I've been doing the Kris Gethin workout for about 2 weeks now. Yesterday (the 29th) was my 15th day, and I notice myself able to lift heavier (not by A LOT, but noticeable), but I get the feeling that if I had someone there to motivate/encourage me, spot me, help me with some lifts, etc, than I'd see results much quicker.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

dazlittle
01-30-2012, 02:59 AM
I've always trained alone so can't vote fairly. My motivation comes from within, If I need a spot I just ask someone nicely and the usually oblige.

painthappy
01-30-2012, 05:02 AM
I have a workout partner (my wife) but since she really can't spot me, I work out alone for all intensive purposes.

Not at the gym, but a pretty complete home gym. So for my heavy squats, etc, I make sure I have a rack. I've only needed to actually use the rack once, but that one time, it's worth what I paid for it. Before I had that rack, I wasn't pushing it. I was afraid to push it beyond my limit and get stuck.

Now I just stop being cheap and get the equipment I need.

All that being said: I feel you push yourself further when you know you have a saftey net. Be that a good spotter, or a safety rack.

Maybe I would even push myself further if I had a spotter that could help me with that one last rep... but I'm fine with my current program and routine so far.

Glad your seeing gains!!!

ljimd
01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
I don't have any idea.

Firminator4
01-30-2012, 06:02 AM
I haven't had a workout partner for years so I don't know. When I was first starting out I think a workout partner probably helped but I can't imagine having one anymore.

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 06:37 AM

I'd say it depends on the individual and the situation.

I've had several training partners over the years and I've also trained solo. I prefer training solo.

But I have had some success with various training partners. I once trained with a competitive amateur bodybuilder that won several local shows, and he was strong as hell; I had to really push myself to keep up with him, and I got my best bench press of my life while training with him. I also trained for a brief time with a woman that competed in the Ms. Olympia. Her husband trained both of us and he really pushed us hard. It was nuts.

On the flip side I've had some lousy partners too; my first ever training partner refused to do any leg work. I ditched him. Another one was so pussy-whipped by his wife that he'd leave in the middle of a workout so he wouldn't be 'late' for dinner. Ditched him too.

It's hard to find a lifting partner that is totally in sync with you and your goals is what I have found, which is why I prefer training solo.

That said for the past 2 years I've been going to the gym with my GF and it's been working out just fine. We don't typically do the exact same routine, but she's there if I need a spot. Also I sometimes try a little harder when she's watching. ;)

Maybe try talking to someone that seems serious and is consistently at the gym at the same time as you and see if they want to train with you. Or recruit a friend or family member. See if it's for you.

Good luck.

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I have a workout partner (my wife) but since she really can't spot me

Why not? My GF spots me all the time.

HoustonTXMuscle
01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Haven't had a workout partner in years. Looking back, partners in my earlier years were probably a distraction that accomplished little purpose.

cowboybiker
01-30-2012, 07:19 AM
I prefer to go it alone.
I dont want to chit-chat and lose my focus.
but like Flex, my wife will spot me on the bench.

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 07:22 AM
yep I prefer to go it alone...will ask for a spot if I need it.

chodan9
01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Why not? My GF spots me all the time.
you know not all spotters are created equal LOL

chodan9
01-30-2012, 07:40 AM
it depends on the workout on workout partners for me

I prefer a workout partner on chest day and shoulder day, especially if doing barbell work.

on back day or leg day not so much. I tend to push those harder than my work out partners and am constantly pulling off weight for them.

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 07:40 AM
you know not all spotters are created equal LOL

I guess some have better teachers. ;)

geer_matt
01-30-2012, 07:43 AM
I've always trained alone so can't vote fairly. My motivation comes from within, If I need a spot I just ask someone nicely and the usually oblige.
This is pretty much what I always do. I have never really run through routines with someone but I make friends at the gym and get to know the guys I see all the time down there by name and just ask for spots when needed. I definitely think the bench press goes up better with a spotter to help you get a couple more reps past that sticking point. Also the psychological factor of knowing you can push it further because you won't get crushed helps.

ezra76
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
I work out with my brother frequently and think it definitely helps. It's more competitive motivation. We are very close in every lift so to get 10lbs. more or 1-2 more reps than him is always my goal.

rand18m
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
A good trainer partner is optimal for safety and intensity issues. However, clearly not necessary as many do just fine by themselves. If I was training for competitive reasons, or this was a profession, I would have a training partner or trainer for optimum performance.

bigtallox
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I train with a group of about 20 guys. All 20 aren't there everytime, but usually 3-6 of them are. I can't imagine training strongman events alone, but I'd do it if I had too.

pharmamarketer
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I train alone. I have gone with people but they always end up talking too much. Which reminds me why I always train alone

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I train alone. I have gone with people but they always end up talking too much. Which reminds me why I always train alone

LMAO. I don't talk when I lift. If any of my training partners ever got to chatty I'd literally say "STFU and do a set". Now that they invented those little i-pod things it's even better. Lisa and I don't even talk to each other at the gym. My earbuds are in the whole time, unless I am spotting her I pop one out so we can instruct each other, if need be.

Minotaur
01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I've never had a workout partner, so I can't say if I'd have done better or worse, or no different in my progress. All I can say is that I like working out alone.

Iceman1800
01-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I chose with a partner but I actually feel its best with a whole crew in powerlifting or strongman. Training with a group allows a lot more motivation and competition to make you push harder. Can't comment on bb'ing since I don't do that :)

Zjunky
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
It really depends. If you have a partner who has similar goals, work ethic, schedule, and you are not distracted by each other, you can do very well working with a partner. Any one of these don't work, and the partnership could wind up being ineffective.

x-trainer ben
02-01-2012, 03:47 PM
When you go to the gym to workout, are you working out by yourself, or do you have a workout partner?

Also, do you think a person will see better/faster results with a workout partner than he would without one?

I've been doing the Kris Gethin workout for about 2 weeks now. Yesterday (the 29th) was my 15th day, and I notice myself able to lift heavier (not by A LOT, but noticeable), but I get the feeling that if I had someone there to motivate/encourage me, spot me, help me with some lifts, etc, than I'd see results much quicker.

With a really good workout partner, he/she will trick you into doing 1-5 extra reps that you think are impossible for you to do!!

ArchAngel'73
02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
The only time I would train with someone else again is when they develop human cloning and I can train with my clone.
Only then would the partner know when, where, and how to help, how much I'm capable of, and familiar with my goals.

litljay
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Saturdays lately (past 2) have been with a partner. It's been ok, I guess. I feel like I get out of rhythm and either take too much time between sets or not enough. I'd prefer to train alone though I don't mind helping this guy out.

JerryB
02-02-2012, 12:07 AM
I have always trained without a training partner. I never wanted one. Training is my time to do what I want.

dunkalicious
02-02-2012, 12:40 AM
without partner. I always end up talking too much

-=FLEX=-
02-02-2012, 05:54 AM
With a really good workout partner, he/she will trick you into doing 1-5 extra reps that you think are impossible for you to do!!

I find having an online journal is like a virtual training partner in that regard. Just knowing that my supporters are going to read my results gives me enough of a push to get in that extra set or rep or whatever.

The only time I would train with someone else again is when they develop human cloning and I can train with my clone.
Only then would the partner know when, where, and how to help, how much I'm capable of, and familiar with my goals.

I hear you. I did squats for 90 minutes on Tuesday. I don't know too many guys that would put up with that. :D

billb7581
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
I usually just train alone and grab a random person if I need a spot LOL. I am turning my wife onto my program instead of doing the dopey circuit with machines and small weights.

bodyhard
02-02-2012, 06:57 AM
I've trained with partners and alone, it really depends on you either way, you have to want it no matter what. A great workout partner can push you to f'cking extremes as you can do the same for him, but if you don't have that desire, that fire, that drive inside of you no workout partner is going to make a difference.

Big_Sky_Guy
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Results- I prefer a partner or group that is serious about training, but can rarely make it happen as our schedule is so erratic. I will push harder and take myself deeper when there is a competent spotter around. A good training day can be contagious for the group.

Personally- Workouts are meditative for me. So, even though I love the training gains from a group, I have no problem working out alone.

risingcougar
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
The times my partners show up with me I usually end up pushing them and giving them advice.

I always get my hardest sessions in when I'm alone. I figure:

I'm doing this for myself. If I'm going to be as strong as I can possibly be: I need to push myself as hard as I can.

HairyScandinavian
02-02-2012, 07:25 AM
There's no question in my mind, with a good partner I would see far better results. Unfortunately I workout on my lunch break and have to haul arse so even if I did have a partner I wouldn't have time.

JerryB
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Weight training is like sex.
You can enjoy it with a partner or without a partner.

TankNick
02-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Better results if your workout partner knows what theyre doing

-=FLEX=-
02-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Weight training is like sex.
You can enjoy it with a partner or without a partner.

http://i41.tinypic.com/210zwpe.gif

Guinea-pig
02-14-2012, 03:47 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/210zwpe.gif

lol

MikeNX
02-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Although I sometimes feel like having someone there to spot me would help, every time I think about finding a training partner I consider these issues. First, I train at 9am M-W-TH-Sun I cannot go any other time, and it would probably be hard to find someone who would have the same time as me. Secondly, I hate talking during my workout and If someone else is there, I`m sure there would be more chatter. Thirdly, I like to get in, get my workout done and get out. With a partner, workouts would likely take twice as long as you now have to wait longer between sets while your partner finishes. For now my wife and I go to the gym together, she does her thing and I do mine. If I need a spotter which is really only for a couple lifts a week, I either ask someone nearby or I get her to do it when she finishes her cardio. Anyway, that`s my take on it.

sibe
02-14-2012, 04:33 AM
I definitely get a better workout with my gym buddy present. The equipment I have access to has no safeties and this can mess with the mind when pushing it. Access to safer equipment isn't an option either as I live in the remote Canadian north (no roads in/out of town!!...plane only this time of year)

Apart from the safety side, my buddies lifts less than me so is usually finished a set or 2 before (due to my longer warm up) so when I go heavy (for me) he is nice enough to changing the plates etc while I catch a breather. Also if a gym buddy is having a good day in the gym, it usually rubs off on yourself

x-trainer ben
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I find having an online journal is like a virtual training partner in that regard. Just knowing that my supporters are going to read my results gives me enough of a push to get in that extra set or rep or whatever.

I hear you. I did squats for 90 minutes on Tuesday. I don't know too many guys that would put up with that. :D

That is a good point, i just was commenting on having that guy yelling at you(like an army sargent) to do x more and the adrenalin/fear that gets you to finish when your mind says i am done. Having a good partner( over 10 years ago) pushed me like none other. He even corrected my form when i was tired/failing also.

Snobum
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
It's about the same for me but I must say that I REALLY like working out with my wife and watching her do things that I can't do like 550 lb Leg presses!

djflex
02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Well i wish i had a w/o partner, cuz that would mean i had a friend irl....

But op on topic. A great workout partner can def spur greater gains imo. Especially if you are both a little competative. But remember a bad w/o partner can fuk things up and hold gains back.

CookAndrewB
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I prefer to train alone. I feel like the time wasted talking, swapping weights, debating which exercises will be performed that day, etc... blah. I have trained with partners, and I have always found them distracting.

Now, on Saturdays I do the traditional strongman thing and get together with a large group of guys. Some days I feel like that is beneficial, other days it just means I spend a lot of time watching other people lift. I am fully capable of getting good training in by myself, but many hands make light work, and sometimes the set up and tear down of strongman training makes solo efforts a workout all by themselves.

My final vote would be to go solo. If you are motivated, you will be successful by yourself. If you need someone else's motivation to push you along, you will never succeed no matter how many people yell "one more rep" at you.

ntrllftr
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
For me it's hard to find someone with the same schedule.
I believe with or without a partner it comes down to each individuals determination. So... It'll be the same, either way. IMO

Lhsman1
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Mostly train on my own, but when I've had a good workout partner, it makes a difference - more competitiveness, less slacking, more BS.

The problem: finding one who knows what he's doing (no ... I DON'T want you to lift the bar completely in the middle of a rep if I'm pushing. Yes, I DO want you to help me force out a rep or two); finding one who isn't afraid of a particular gym or pushing himself; finding one who isn't making an excuse each time about why he can't come that day; finding one who's not going to whine about how sore he feels two days later.

So, yes, I would like a workout partner, but it's difficult to find a good one even if it means modifying routines to be in sync.

DougHolland
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
The fear of weight touching my safety bars and scratching them is enough to keep me strong and fighting through that last heavy rep. (joking)

20 years ago I used a partner that was good. Then he went through a divorce and brought the negative energy into the workouts. After months of that I switched.

The new guy was strong and smart, but he started to arrive later and later to workouts. Nothing worse than when you are pumped mentally to start working out only to be waiting on someone for 20 minutes. So he was out.

Then I had a guy who would show up for bench and bicep workouts but would not work legs and spot for legs. He was quickly out.

Then I worked out with a guy who was really nice and on time, yet he preferred to bench 450 pounds when he could barley press 315. I got tired of doing shrugs while he crushed his sternum.

So, after all that I just put on my Walkman headsets and lifted alone. Till this day I have never even asked for a spot. And I am 43 and can still bench 385 alone...lol

D

DougHolland
02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I wonder if anyone works out alone and dose NOT listen to music. Bruce Lee was known for silent workouts.

D

ArchAngel'73
02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
I wonder if anyone works out alone and dose NOT listen to music. Bruce Lee was known for silent workouts.

D

Yes I do.
I do not grunt and groan neither nor otherwise attract attention to myself.