PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy introduction/question

thoffland
01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello, I'm just getting into working out again after about 9 years. I've never really lifted weights except when I was younger (like 18) and that was short lived. I've just joined a gym and have dedicated myself to going 3 days a week. My goal is to do 15 min of cardio each time until I build myself up a bit, and lifting weights focusing on different parts each time with some guidance from a friend.

I can only describe myself as "sedentary" up to this point, I don't consider myself overweight really, but I'm definitely soft from sitting in front of a computer all my life. I'm 41, about 5'10 and 175 lbs and haven't calculated body fat or anything else yet, but want to get that done just for goal setting.

I've got a bunch of samples of various protein shakes from a friend to help me find one I really like, but after reading through the forums a bit I'm wondering if I should be looking at some fat burner? Mainly for the spare tire, which I've been reading is mostly cured by cardio and takes some time since it's not an area that contains a lot of muscle? I'm not one to put alot of stuff in my body, but if it's something that's healthy and respected I'd look into it. Does anyone have recommendations? And is this a good idea or am I falling for hype?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject!

plumher
01-29-2012, 11:06 PM
op, SPEND SOME TIME READING THE STICKIES. Your diet is key to lose fat. Weight training helps you keep the muscle you have while dieting. start using your body to be more active and it will respond by getting leaner and more fit. Cardio can be vital for getting under 12% bf, but for the most part isnt crucial to lose weight, although it can help your heart by increasing your heart rate to 140-160 bpm for 20-30 min.

GL. Do something you can stick with and make it a lifestyle not a passing thing

tsoden
01-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Most people use protein powder to supplement the lack of protein in their diet. If you are looking to tone up, it may not be necessary if you can get your diet in check. Also, as for cardio, find an activity that you will look forward to doing...this way it will not feel like a chore. For instance, I enjoy cycling, and when I can't get on my bicycle, I take spin classes twice a week.

Also, for weight training, it sounds like you would be a great candidate for a full body plan rather than a split plan. There are a lot of great ideas around the site, but feel free to pm me if you need any additional help.

thoffland
01-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'll go through the stickies and read up. I tried some pointed searches for "spare tire" etc which is what made me think to ask about this.

tsoden, I'll read more about full body too and see if that's something I can manage.

I'm looking forward to getting into shape and so far have been enjoying the post-workout energy!

rand18m
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Considering you are 5'10" and 175 lbs I would recommend thinking about improving your body comp by adding LBM instead of concerning yourself with fat loss. You should go to the nutrition forum and start with the stickies there. Learn to calculate your energy needs and compose a proper diet that follows your short term goals, and then long term goals. You can find plenty of workouts on this site designed for beginners. It sounds like you are interested in functional strength and a good full body workout will do fine.

And there are a ton of health related reasons to do cardio but fat loss isn't one of them. Adding lean body mass along with the proper diet will allow you to lower your body fat percentage, which is what you want, not something that a scale says. Imagine you added over time ten lbs LBM, the scale would tell a different story than what the mirror would say, I think you would prefer the mirror.

Paradosis
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Welcome :)

thoffland
01-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks rand18m, after I read your post I went out and started reading more in the nutrition and some other posts, one guy has a similar build as me, and learned a bunch about what I should be doing. I'm going to figure out a nutrition plan and keep going at the gym and change my workouts a bit from what I've learned here to help increase strength and size. Your absolutely right about the mirror... I think it would be fun to be 200lbs of lbm. (I know that's not really realistic now, but still)

I'm so new at this... I know more about nutrition and workout routines after 3 hours of reading than I ever have. And I still have so much to learn. Going to hit the gym tomorrow and look forward to the DOMS the next day!

Paradosis: Thank you!