PDA

View Full Version : Just a "hello" from a new member

oggq
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Just wanted to say hi. I just joined although I have been a lurker for a while. I started my journey on 2/28/11 after a visit to the doctor & subsequent blood panel showed that I was destined to be diabetic. Cholesterol, hemoglobin, everything was elevated. I was almost 300 pounds & just feeling miserable. Since then I have lost almost 70 pounds and recent blood panel showed everything to be in normal ranges with the exception of my hemoglobin which was at 6.0. Still mildly elevated & keeping me in the pre-diabetic stage. I have dedicated myself to now transforming my body but at age 44 (45 in April) I find it very difficult. Although I have made progress, it's just not what I had hoped for at this time. I've come down to 30% bf from a beginning 43% but my fat it still sticking to me on my lats, stomach & obliques. It's just really disgusting to look at & almost breaks my spirit. I won't quit though & hopeful that a better diet & consistent workouts will get me to where I'd like to be.

pvsampson
01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome.

Personally I cannot give you any advice on weight loss,but there are many in here who are losing and who have lost weight through training.

Stay true to your goals and you will succeed.Also take heed of the advice here,there is a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people willing to share with you.

JohnDavis111
01-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Good luck on your goals. I look forward to future posts telling us how great your doing.

tylerindo
01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
welcome! I just joined today too, looking forward to being a part of this community.

Pike717
01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!! I started working out again last Jan. because of my Dr. and the same medical issues you mentioned. Heck I would lose my breath when I bent over to tie my shoes. I was 41 at the time 6"1 and 272 lbs. I lost 74 lbs and gained plenty of muscle over the last year eating better, lifting 4-5 days a week and doing cardio 3 days per week. Keep at it! You will get where you want to go. Pike

MichaelCJ
01-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Welcome, albeit from a relative newbie. ;) Definitely check out the nutrition and workouts forums, at the very least. There's some great info, and helpful people, in both. And here, mind you. :D

Best of luck. See ya 'round. :)

zanak74
01-30-2012, 02:59 AM
You are already doing a good job with your routine. Keep up the good work.

tsoden
01-30-2012, 03:40 AM
There is lots of information here on all subjects....nutrition, lifting, etc.... Welcome aboard!

LisaSkinnoble
01-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss - fantastic!

ljimd
01-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Welcome. Nice weight loss. Don't get discouraged. Try to stay consistent with training and diet. Above all else, learn as much as possible. Good luck.

DocHoss
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Welcome. Nice weight loss. Don't get discouraged. Try to stay consistent with training and diet. Above all else, learn as much as possible. Good luck.

Can't say any more than this. Keep at it!

llahhsoj
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the board!

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
welcome...lots of us are in the same boat ya know..just trying to get better

do your best today
do better tomorrow
:)

chodan9
01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
welcome and keep hitting it!
if your consistent and keep learning, tweaking your nutrition, tweaking your training and working with good intensity, you wont recognize yourself in a year or 2.
It took you 44 years to get where you are, you wont peal that off overnight ;)

Good luck man!

Jtbny
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Welcome! Good luck on your continued success. When you get down on yourself take a look at an old picture of what you used to be. It will show you how far along you have come!

Paradosis
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Howdy :)

pharmamarketer
01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome

rand18m
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
welcome and keep hitting it!
if your consistent and keep learning, tweaking your nutrition, tweaking your training and working with good intensity, you wont recognize yourself in a year or 2.
It took you 44 years to get where you are, you wont peal that off overnight ;)

Good luck man!

There is a lot of good advice on this thread for you, this ^one sums it up!

How knowledgeable are you with nutrition and diet composition? That is where you need to start, make sure you fully understand that portion, you can find good information in the nutrition forum stickies, and throughout the internet. Second keep working on your training and make certain your intensity is high as said above. Good luck and keep up the good work. OH and if you have questions you can ask here!

oggq
01-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, encouragement & advice. Luckily I have a close friend who is an avid bodybuilder. I always sponge off him for advice on anything. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge found on this site.

See y'all at the gym!!

oggq
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone, I know it's been quite awhile since I posted last but wanted to give a quick update on myself & had a question as well.

Well, I've continued my workouts although I find myself not having as much time to do so as before. Major life changes (divorce, moving out of a house into a townhouse, not seeing my children) have wreaked havoc in my life but throught it all I continue to workout & eat as clean as I can. So at this point I have gotten down to 215 lbs & have put on considerable muscle. This I am happy about & this month marks my 2 year anniversary since I started working out & eating cleaner.

Here's my question. It seems apparent to me at this point that I have excess skin which is probably adding unwanted weight to my body & needless to say is very discouraging from an aesthetic view point. I have been trying to muster the courage to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation but realize that this is a very expensive procedure. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem & has anyone been able to get this covered under insurance as "medically necessary". It starts to bring down my motivation as I cant see the changes in those places, specficially my abs & obliques, pecs & lats and my inner thighs. If you have any insight, please sound off. Thanks & glad to be back.

ironwill2008
02-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone, I know it's been quite awhile since I posted last but wanted to give a quick update on myself & had a question as well.

Well, I've continued my workouts although I find myself not having as much time to do so as before. Major life changes (divorce, moving out of a house into a townhouse, not seeing my children) have wreaked havoc in my life but throught it all I continue to workout & eat as clean as I can. So at this point I have gotten down to 215 lbs & have put on considerable muscle. This I am happy about & this month marks my 2 year anniversary since I started working out & eating cleaner.

Here's my question. It seems apparent to me at this point that I have excess skin which is probably adding unwanted weight to my body & needless to say is very discouraging from an aesthetic view point. I have been trying to muster the courage to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation but realize that this is a very expensive procedure. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem & has anyone been able to get this covered under insurance as "medically necessary". It starts to bring down my motivation as I cant see the changes in those places, specficially my abs & obliques, pecs & lats and my inner thighs. If you have any insight, please sound off. Thanks & glad to be back.

While I can't offer any insight into the skin issue, it's very refreshing to see someone come back in here after a year and be able to report that he's still on the path.

Good on ya. Stick with it. http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Brad805
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Awesome job. The excess skin sucks, but it is so cool to hear about guys shaking the diabetic problem. There are quite a few on here that have.

I have the skin problem too, and might consider a surgery to cut out some stuff this year. I track my gut measurement, and it has went down by 10" or so since I started. The reality is that is a lot of stretching.

MoldyGopher
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Unless you're suffering from periodic skin infections/yeast problems that require doctor visits and medication to clear up then your chances of getting it covered are very, very low.

I went through the primary care doctor referral -> plastic surgeon consultation route to try and qualify for coverage. After filling out reams of paperwork and multiple doctor visits I was completely denied any coverage of the operation. The price tag (both in dollars and recovery time) is out of my reach. (I was given an estimate of nearly US$17,000 and a minimum of six weeks of recovery.

Pretty much every person (see the 'Losing Fat' forums for examples) on this site that has had the surgery either paid out of pocket or lived in an area that was not the USA.

Great job on the weight loss though! :)