PDA

View Full Version : Caught a cold, how do you guys usually handle it?

fastnoypi
01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Do you guys workout through it but just do cardio? Stay away from the gym?
Almost seems to happen without fail if i have been working out steady for 4 weeks. Hard to say its from other gym members not wiping down or from not eating enough.
Maybe i need to supp with more zinc.

Jtbny
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I try to cough on everyone I see at the gym. Misery loves company ya know...

Serious I just work through as my energy level dictates. If I can't then I just rest.

:rolleyes:

zedx
01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
That's pretty cool you can last 4 weeks before this comes up.

I feel like I am getting sick after only 4 days working out hard in a row or even if i have a day rest in there. The sick feeling goes away after i sleep for a couple day. If you are getting sick in regular fashion maybe you are over doing it,

It must stress the immune system as well as the muscles.

latebloomingmom
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
if you are working out in a public gym? ummm should maybe take a few days off while contagious...
if you are all stuffed up in the head...take a decongestant and work out
if you are all congested in the chest take a mucus pill that contains an expectorant and workout
just take it slow ..if the cardio makes you feel like you are coughing up a lung then take some time off from it..

-=FLEX=-
01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe you need to man up.

I haven't taken a sick day in over 6 years.

Hard to say its from other gym members not wiping down .

facepalm.jpg

fastnoypi
01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
That's pretty cool you can last 4 weeks before this comes up.

I feel like I am getting sick after only 4 days working out hard in a row or even if i have a day rest in there. The sick feeling goes away after i sleep for a couple day. If you are getting sick in regular fashion maybe you are over doing it,

It must stress the immune system as well as the muscles.

I never get that sick nausous feeling that i've read other posters here have after working out hard, with me its just waking up some random day and then boom...i have a cold or flu.

fastnoypi
01-29-2012, 05:15 PM

facepalm.jpg

where is this bubble gym that you speak of?

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 05:45 PM

up your ass and to the left

what a retarded thread

really a cold!?!?!?

latebloomingmom
01-29-2012, 05:48 PM

what a retarded thread

really a cold!?!?!?
suppositories??? is the OP constipated now?
shaking my head...hard to keep up ...

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 05:54 PM
suppositories??? is the OP's head constipated now?
shaking my head...hard to keep up ...

a member here since 2007 and not sure what to do about a cold?

how bout blow u r nose and move on

flat6nut
01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Dont think I could have made any gains if I satayed home everytime my pussy hurt.

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Dont think I could have made any gains if I satayed home everytime my pussy hurt.

I heard you were not feeling well today and went in and banged out 20 reps at 315 on the flat bench?

latebloomingmom
01-29-2012, 05:57 PM
well ya could try the vet's office or uhhh the gyno?:) could be a yeast infection...

mslman71
01-29-2012, 06:08 PM

what a retarded thread

really a cold!?!?!?

On spread with both of you.

LOL

NYkarate
01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I am sorry, but if you're sick (even a cold) you should be at home keeping your germs to yourself.

flat6nut
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I heard you were not feeling well today and went in and banged out 20 reps at 315 on the flat bench?

I wish! Only 6 on 315, but 19 on 225 at the end of flat work...but gym lifts dont count. ;)

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I wish! Only 6 on 315, but 19 on 225 at the end of flat work...but gym lifts dont count. ;)

very solid

bet it made you feel better ;)

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I am sorry, but if you're sick (even a cold) you should be at home keeping your germs to yourself.

I know what you are saying but regular exposure to most germs/bugs/viruses are not a bad thing either

the people that go to extremes to avoid are the ones that catch a cold and perish

besides strong people are harder to kill

zedx
01-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Almost seems to happen without fail if i have been working out steady for 4 weeks.

with me its just waking up some random day and then boom...i have a cold or flu.

Oh sorry. I thought you said it happened if you had been working out steady for 4 weeks.

GuyJin
01-30-2012, 12:11 AM
The only time I don't work out is if I have a fever--and that's seldom. I have chronic bronchitis and in spite of that--hacking up lungers and whatnot--I haven't missed more than a handful of days over the past few years. In fact, I have a bad head cold now and still got in a workout this morning before heading off for the hospital and then work. I just lift a little lighter and take a bit more rest. I may do one or two less sets than usual per exercise but that's about it.

Karl_Hungus
01-30-2012, 01:19 AM
The only time I don't work out is if I have a fever--and that's seldom. I have chronic bronchitis and in spite of that--hacking up lungers and whatnot--I haven't missed more than a handful of days over the past few years. In fact, I have a bad head cold now and still got in a workout this morning before heading off for the hospital and then work. I just lift a little lighter and take a bit more rest. I may do one or two less sets than usual per exercise but that's about it.

^^ This. The last time I missed a workout due to illness, it was because I spent 3 days puking my guts out and couldn't even drink water without spewing. But it'll be a cold day in hell when the sniffles keep me out of the gym.

zedx
01-30-2012, 01:37 AM
But to answer the question, if I get sick I don't go to the gym. There is no reason to run my body down farther and spread germs all over the gym. I'm not getting paid to go to the gym.

bodyhard
01-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Robitussion and duct tape, then hit the gym.

NYkarate
01-30-2012, 04:31 AM
I know what you are saying but regular exposure to most germs/bugs/viruses are not a bad thing either

the people that go to extremes to avoid are the ones that catch a cold and perish

besides strong people are harder to kill

This is the kind of attitude that spreads deadly pandemics. You stay home for others, not because you are a pussy, etc. If you're sick, it is a hostile act to knowingly put others in harms way. Viruses that mimic colds can kill.

zedx
01-30-2012, 04:35 AM
This is the kind of attitude that spreads deadly pandemics. You stay home for others, not because you are a pussy, etc. If you're sick, it is a hostile act to knowingly put others in harms way. Viruses that mimic colds can kill.

I also think it's very rude for people to allow themselves to spread germs especially if their nose is leaking all over the place. Sneezing and leaking nose people shouldn't be in public.

tsoden
01-30-2012, 04:54 AM
If I have a sore throat, I will still work out, but if I have a head cold, nasty cough or just feel run down I don't bother...It sucks, but i don't feel I will be doing my body much service when it is screaming at me for additional rest.

that being said, I have been sick the past couple days, missed the Gym Friday, Sat and Sun, and told myself, come hell or high water, I was going this morning. Shoulders and biceps feel nice, warm and fuzzy right now *cough cough*.

jayluk4600
01-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Business as usual, unless I am bleeding out my anus. Thats an entirely diff matter.

GuyJin
01-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Business as usual, unless I am bleeding out my anus. Thats an entirely diff matter.

Hemmy section is thatwaway....--------------->

:D

tmonkey
01-30-2012, 06:25 AM

again totally backward

if you try to avoid all germs in your life the first time you are exposed to ANY you will become much sicker then you could/should

i am not talking about swine flue, h1n1 or any of the other deadly illnesses here.

we are talking about colds and you are talking about deadly pandemics - bit of a difference.

the whole idea behind the yearly flu shot is to make us more immune to all of the different strains before we get them - same thing that I am talking about. Of course you don't want to expose yourself to the plague etc.

i mean come on this place lacks all common sense at some times and twists things to the extremes.

tsoden
01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
business as usual, unless i am bleeding out my anus. Thats an entirely diff matter.

ewww!!!!

latebloomingmom
01-30-2012, 07:13 AM
that is an entirely different thread....

BrotherWolf
01-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Do you guys workout through it but just do cardio? Stay away from the gym?
Almost seems to happen without fail if i have been working out steady for 4 weeks. Hard to say its from other gym members not wiping down or from not eating enough.
Maybe i need to supp with more zinc.

If there's no fever I am going to workout .. in fact it always makes me feel better the next day

chodan9
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
after a couple days of recovery I will go back to the gym and work, I will take the time off while contagious out of respect for my coworkers and others at the gym.
I never takes scheduled days off so it doesnt bother me to take sick days when needed at the gym.
last time I got really sick was the flu back in my first year of training, that put my ass out of commission for a while

flat6nut
01-30-2012, 09:13 AM

I also think it's very rude for people to allow themselves to spread germs especially if their nose is leaking all over the place. Sneezing and leaking nose people shouldn't be in public.

I am all about preventing germs....I always wash my hands before using the bathroom or picking my nose.

Getsum
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2011/05/01/77439/gallerypic/14fsshQFfqLl6NxQcIlnsCNXp38kvR930.jpeg

BloodySalad
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Dammit... I workout in my garage.
Means even ebola is no excuse to miss a session. :(

That said, I do cardio with others and I take a raincheck out of courtesy to them if I come up with something contageous. In that case, I tend to just go out for a run on my own. I've been doing that this week as I've got some sort of scabby virus. It hasn't stopped my training at all - I just work around it. And tbh, unless you're flat on your back sick, there's always a way to work around illness.

badclams
01-30-2012, 10:33 AM
I get outside and do some backpacking or hunt some steelhead/trout, fresh air and some trail hiking seems to work for me.

starbuck72
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
So I seriously can't believe you ****s weren't helpful at all in the vitamin suggestions. Listen sick boy, add Vitamin C, especially during the cold and flu season. One in the a.m. every day and it will prevent most colds.

starbuck72
01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
So I seriously can't believe you ****s weren't helpful at all in the vitamin suggestions. Listen sick boy, add Vitamin C, especially during the cold and flu season. One in the a.m. every day and it will prevent most colds.

Also, I can't believe I can't say c*u*n*t*s on here. Is twat illegal?

-=FLEX=-
01-30-2012, 10:43 AM

lulz

ArchAngel'73
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM

I missed the last season of Galactica.

R U a Cycon?
If so, what kind?

starbuck72
01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I missed the last season of Galactica.

R U a Cycon?
If so, what kind?

Spoilers, sweetie...

You missed the last season of BSG? No, sweetie, I'm an angel. You, however, have cylon in you.

And Laura finally kicked it.

ArchAngel'73
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
You missed the last season of BSG? No, sweetie, I'm an angel. You, however, have cylon in you.

You gotz that right!
I'm a skin job.

And Laura finally kicked it.

Oh noes!
:eek:

V-240
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Suck it up, Buttercup!!! WALK IT OFF!! :mad:

No, srsly, pls don't spread your cooties all over the gym. If you are LEAKING anything from anyplace, please... Take a day off, it's good for the soul anyway.

I haven't been sick in years since I quit bad food and added dark leafy greens to my diet. I'm no expert, but I am learning what works for me.

V-240
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

LOL, repped.

JeepCreeper
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM

facepalm.jpg

I've taken MANY sick days in the past 6 years. However, I wasn't sick. :)

fastnoypi
01-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks for being constructive. I have been doubling up on my vitamin c during my down time. I do think it helps with recovery, but still keeping an ear out for any other good remedies to get me back in the gym quicker.
Do you suggest to keep taking supplements during the down time or hold off till 100%? I.e. creatine, whey? Shame if these expensive supplements go down the toilet literally and not being utililzed as intended.

S4life
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
take lots of vitamin c and get lots of rest brah <3

tmonkey
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for being constructive. I have been doubling up on my vitamin c during my down time. I do think it helps with recovery, but still keeping an ear out for any other good remedies to get me back in the gym quicker.
Do you suggest to keep taking supplements during the down time or hold off till 100%? I.e. creatine, whey? Shame if these expensive supplements go down the toilet literally and not being utililzed as intended.

they are claiming vit d is now more important then c for immunity

starbuck72
01-31-2012, 07:05 AM

True, as I also take Vitamin D, especially during the winter as sun exposure is at a minimum (theoretically, of course, here in NC, the sun's out and it's 64 deg again today, so....). Thanks for reminding me of that.

I can't speak for the whey powder, as I use it as a staple in my meal plan. Creatine I don't use, so guys? Wanna answer this one?

-=FLEX=-
01-31-2012, 07:10 AM

I think drinking beer daily is better than taking vitamins.

Getsum
01-31-2012, 07:38 AM
I think drinking beer daily is better than taking vitamins.

Nod, it is known.

jdtemple
01-31-2012, 08:00 AM
If I have a fever or aches, I take some time off.

Training when I'm sick always makes me feel better. But, if I'm achy or feverish, it just seems to make fighting off the virus take much longer.

Sniffles? Game on.

I train at home. Spreading my cooties are a non-issue.

timberwolf
01-31-2012, 08:10 AM

When even remotely beginning to feel under the weather my usual protocol is:
9g or more of Vit C spread throughout the day
3-4 drops of oregano oil 2-3 times throughout day
plenty of liquid
less pop tarts