PDA

View Full Version : Combined lift weight = measure of strength

Medtreker
01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
I have read a few times about combining lift weights to equal a total lift weight. For example, 1 rep max benchpress, squat, deadlift. This is sort of your high end total that pretty much says how strong you are.

I believe it may be common with powerlifting. Is there a name for this number? Is it valid?

Another question, it's easy for me to find my 1 rep max in bench and dead, but how does one confirm 1 rep squat? Do you set a box below you as a touch point? I find that the squat is one move I have never attempted 1 rep max, always going for reps.

Thanks for input, this one was a quick but useless search.

CardinalRB34
01-29-2012, 03:21 PM
drop until your thighs are parallel to the floor. It's a lot deeper than you think.

CardinalRB34
01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
BTW - there are many types of strength tests you can take for markers of improvement. One that I used to recommend was by NSTA.... I think? hahahaha.. If I remember correctly you would do the max number of reps based on a percentage of your current bodyweight.

Squat 100% of bodyweight
Pullups 100% of bodyweight
Flat Bench 80%
military press 60%
barbell curls 50%
and as many situps as you can in a minute.

I think 10-15 average reps is considered good. 15-20 is excellent. 20-25 is great. 25-30 is superb. 30+ you're a freak...

Again.... it's been so long since I've done this test in college for weight training class. But I thought it was decent for people who needed goals that weren't into power lifting.

Medtreker
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
BTW - there are many types of strength tests you can take for markers of improvement. One that I used to recommend was by NSTA.... I think? hahahaha.. If I remember correctly you would do the max number of reps based on a percentage of your current bodyweight.

Squat 100% of bodyweight
Pullups 100% of bodyweight
Flat Bench 80%
military press 60%
barbell curls 50%
and as many situps as you can in a minute.

I think 10-15 average reps is considered good. 15-20 is excellent. 20-25 is great. 25-30 is superb. 30+ you're a freak...

Again.... it's been so long since I've done this test in college for weight training class. But I thought it was decent for people who needed goals that weren't into power lifting.

I figure once you're into number of reps to quantify strength, your approaching another type of measure. Where as adding the Big-3 1 rep max's just gives you one raw number to push upwards. It also allows you to gain on a weight lifting number even if 1, or 2 of those lifts are pretty much maxed out.

Medtreker
01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
drop until your thighs are parallel to the floor. It's a lot deeper than you think.

Especially on a 1 rep max!!

ddeacon22
01-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I actually rarely test my 1RM any more as I find the calculators quite accurate, I do my 5RM and convert. That being said, I don't total it up either.

bigtallox
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I have read a few times about combining lift weights to equal a total lift weight. For example, 1 rep max benchpress, squat, deadlift. This is sort of your high end total that pretty much says how strong you are.

It's a total that says how strong you are on squat bench and deadlift. But there are many types of strength ( none of those really test grip strength ).

I believe it may be common with powerlifting. Is there a name for this number? Is it valid?

I wouldn't say it's "common" in powerlifting, it's the only thing in powerlifting. It's called a powerlifting total.

Another question, it's easy for me to find my 1 rep max in bench and dead, but how does one confirm 1 rep squat? Do you set a box below you as a touch point? I find that the squat is one move I have never attempted 1 rep max, always going for reps.

Well, you just go for a 1 rep max, and have a 3rd party judge your depth ( and have appropriate spotters ). You've reached depth when the ball of your hip joint is even with the top of your knee ( don't look at the bottom of the hamstrings, or the top of the quads, you try to look for the joints, and that's why powerlifters wear singlets when they lift ). Just know in powerlifting, you don't get an up command on the squat ( like you get a "press" command when benching when you touch your chest ).

Good luck.

Medtreker
01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks BTO. What'r your thoughts on utilizing a powerlifting total for those who are not powerlifters? Someone like myself, I use lifting to keep in shape, but beyond that I'm nowhere near bodybuilder or powerlifter territory. However, I do see that I have room to increase that total. I feel even someone like myself could benefit with using the powerlifting total as a goal point (shooting for a higher total). Seems basic enough, there's no doubting the result. It's almost the perfect number in terms of "the sport" of lifting.

drudixon
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks BTO. What'r your thoughts on utilizing a powerlifting total for those who are not powerlifters? Someone like myself, I use lifting to keep in shape, but beyond that I'm nowhere near bodybuilder or powerlifter territory. However, I do see that I have room to increase that total. I feel even someone like myself could benefit with using the powerlifting total as a goal point (shooting for a higher total). Seems basic enough, there's no doubting the result. It's almost the perfect number in terms of "the sport" of lifting. there are a lot of out of shape looking power lifters. If you want to look like youre in shape, id suggest something different.

ezra76
01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
I have a goal of 1000 pounds for this, which I've always heard called "the big 3" total. Closing in on it but I'm a squat nazi so my max is not as high as guys who don't go ATG. Use a mirror when you do squats.

chodan9
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
there are a lot of out of shape looking power lifters. If you want to look like youre in shape, id suggest something different.
agreed
I liked breaking 1000, (nothing to brag about but I was tickled sh!tless.)
but much prefer looking leaner and harder. I was 35 pounds heavier then too
that said I would still like to do better that and stay lean, it will happen eventually as I continue to progress I think.

kcmoto
01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
there are a lot of out of shape looking power lifters. If you want to look like youre in shape, id suggest something different.

True that! Not all but, a lot of power lifters are focused on just that not aesthetics! If you want to look like you are in shape try bodybuilding. Now all that being said....a cut bodybuilding does not mean they are healthier or in better shape than a power lifter!

hammerfelt
01-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Compete in a powerlifting meet. You will find out what your total is real fast.

BrotherWolf
01-30-2012, 10:14 PM

there are a lot of powerlifters who are in very good shape

BrotherWolf
01-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks BTO. What'r your thoughts on utilizing a powerlifting total for those who are not powerlifters? Someone like myself, I use lifting to keep in shape, but beyond that I'm nowhere near bodybuilder or powerlifter territory. However, I do see that I have room to increase that total. I feel even someone like myself could benefit with using the powerlifting total as a goal point (shooting for a higher total). Seems basic enough, there's no doubting the result. It's almost the perfect number in terms of "the sport" of lifting.

It really makes no sense to have a powerlifting total if you are not competing but if Squat, BP and deadlift are your main 3 lifts (as they should be) perhaps you want to test your strength in the individual lift by performing 1RM
your goal should be to increase your individual lifts not your total....

Smelly bull
01-31-2012, 03:16 AM

I have been to my fair share of powerlifting meets and yes, some of "them" look "out of shape" but nowhere as many as you think. Then again, there are those powerlifters that are absolutely huge and ripped.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I figured most would view the powerlifting total as usefull for powerlifters, of course, but not a wise goal for bodybuilders.

That's where I was looking to find. I somewhat disagree.

At my current 165#(little extra Winter weight), I can't really be viewed as a bodybuilder. I use bodybuilding techniques and have acheived a much higher level of build and fitness. Years ago, was pushing toward a rather pasty 200#, now I have defenition and a posture, and a much better diet. I certainly can't be viewed as a powerlifter!

However, I need a goal to carry me into Summer. Back to 160# this Summer should have me better built than 160# did going into the Winter. I work at maintaining/improving lift strength while whittling away fat pounds.

I use the big 3 every 5 day split. But I don't focus intensley on growing any powerlifts. I do focus on growing these 3 compound lifts though. I hurt my upper back mid Summer, and had to drop lift weight down. Now, I'm feeling really good, strong as ever. So each split cycle I increase on the big 3. Bench is pretty topped out(almost), but the other 2 have a ways to go.

So, I don't plan on suddenly becoming huge, but I can get stronger, I definetly can get stronger. These 3 are a clear measure of that strength, I can measure every week. So, I'm currently using the number as my progress gauge. That's it. I know many use these compound lifts in their bodybuilding routines too. So, even lighter weight lifters can use this number to measure progress without risk of "looking like a powerlifter."

GnomusMaximus
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I always thought it would be cool to train for a "super total" that used to be the total of your Squat, bench, DL, Snatch and Clean and Jerk. There was a webpage that used to track the guys with the highest of these and it was still old time guys like Ken Patera, Bruce Wilhelm and Pat Casey. i couldn't find it last time I tried to look.

otiskii
01-31-2012, 09:56 AM
It might seem silly to some but I'm trying to get to 1000 before I turn 51. I don't compete, I won't compete but this is just for me.

To me this is just a goal to reach and to give me yet another reason to stick to lifting. I'm keeping a personal log called "Zero to 1000".

bigtallox
01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

But it's not doing powerlifts that causes some powerlifters to be out of shape.

bigtallox
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM

I think everybody should train powerlifts. Just because you squat, bench, and deadlift doesn't mean that you're going to get fat. Some super heavy weight powerlifters choose to have high bodyfat because it makes them more competitive in their sport. You don't have to gain bodyfat to increase your total. ( But that's one reason why I like strongman better, if you just gain fat, your performance in strongman won't increase because speed and atheliticism matter in strongman. IMHO the powerlifts ONLY aren't enough. )

Getsum
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Alex, I'll take broad generalizations for $1000.

I have a goal of 1000 pounds for this, which I've always heard called "the big 3" total. Closing in on it but I'm a squat nazi so my max is not as high as guys who don't go ATG. Use a mirror when you do squats.

I just crept over 1100 this month and I was pretty happy about that. I'd like to be around 1200 or higher by the end of the year while at lower body weight.

Current PRs from January 2012
DGEaUZweleU

It really makes no sense to have a powerlifting total if you are not competing but if Squat, BP and deadlift are your main 3 lifts (as they should be) perhaps you want to test your strength in the individual lift by performing 1RM

I'm not competing and my numbers suck compare to many other but then again, they're pretty good for me. I'm about 17 months back from a year long layoff from lifting and I'm having a blast.

Some of us just do this because it's actually fun. Do whatever floats your boat man.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
I think everybody should train powerlifts. Just because you squat, bench, and deadlift doesn't mean that you're going to get fat. Some super heavy weight powerlifters choose to have high bodyfat because it makes them more competitive in their sport. You don't have to gain bodyfat to increase your total.

That's It!

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM

I understand where you're coming from. But don't you need to increase the individule lifts to increase the total??

BrotherWolf
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm not competing and my numbers suck compare to many other but then again, they're pretty good for me. I'm about 17 months back from a year long layoff from lifting and I'm having a blast.

Some of us just do this because it's actually fun. Do whatever floats your boat man.

well I agree but I don't see why op needs to set a goal based on his total ?!?!

so for example lets say he sets a goal of 1000lbs

he squats 400, DL 500 and benches 100 .. he achieved his goal of a 1000 total
see where I am going ?? ;)

the goal should be to lift more in all 3 not to raise a total .. for a competing pler the total is important , you can lag in one lift and make up in others
like many do

BrotherWolf
01-31-2012, 12:01 PM
I understand where you're coming from. But don't you need to increase the individule lifts to increase the total??

that's what I said ;) see example above ^^^

sok454
01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Alex, I'll take broad generalizations for $1000.

I just crept over 1100 this month and I was pretty happy about that. I'd like to be around 1200 or higher by the end of the year while at lower body weight.

Current PRs from January 2012
DGEaUZweleU

Nice Vid!

BrotherWolf
01-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not competing and my numbers suck compare to many other but then again, they're pretty good for me.

And why aren't you competing yet ???

:)

you don't need big numbers to compete, if everyone was worried about not having the best numbers nobody would compete, there's always someone stronger than you what are you waiting for ?? :)

Getsum
01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
well I agree but I don't see why op needs to set a goal based on his total ?!?!

so for example lets say he sets a goal of 1000lbs

he squats 400, DL 500 and benches 100 .. he achieved his goal of a 1000 total
see where I am going ?? ;)

the goal should be to lift more in all 3 not to raise a total .. for a competing pler the total is important , you can lag in one lift and make up in others
like many do

Yeah, I see what you're saying for sure. You've got have some balance I do approach each lift individually, and not just the big 3. BOR, pullups, leg press, all of them...I'm trying to get stronger across the board so I get your point.

But I get the OP's point as well. I wrestled in high school and my last two periods were weight training. They had a sign up on the wall in the Castle Park weight room that said "when you and your opponents are equal, the difference is strength" and next to that they had the 300lb bench club with everyone's name on it. In the grand scheme of things, benching 300 doesn't mean much but it's something I've always wanted to do that and I think it good to use whatever method you want to push yourself to improve. Granted, it was pretty hard when I only weighed between 155 and 165 pounds at 16-18 years old.

This is a journal post from 8-16-2005

I'm really not sure to be honest. My shoulder just tends to be sore when I do heavier inclines or heavy upright rows, so I try not to push those as much. And I have a long term goal of maxing over 300lbs on my bench, and over 1000lbs for the 3 lift total, I’m just not sure when I’ll actually reach it. But for my weight and size, they should be realistic goals.

I’m just going to stick with it and wait and see.

This is the first time I benched 300 on 1-10-2006

I met my long time goal of benching 300lbs tonight!!! Time to concentrate on getting my deadlifts up to where they should be. I’m pretty happy with my squatting in general even though I haven’t been lifting heavy lately, but I’ll be going for heavier weight and lower reps for the next few weeks or so.

Chest/Triceps
Decline Bench – Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (205lbs x 4, 215lbs x 4)
Flat Bench – Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (225lbs x 4, 235lbs x 4, 245lbs x 4, 255lbs x 4, 265lbs x 4, 275lbs x 3, 285lbs x 1, 300lbs x 1, Needed help with 305lbs)
Inclined Bench - Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (155lbs x 8, 155lbs x 8)
Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press - Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (155lbs x 10)
Dips – Triceps, Chest & Shoulders (1 x 8 @ Body Weight)
Triceps extensions – Triceps (50lbs x 10, 50lbs x10)
Incline Dumbbell Flyes - Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (43lbs x 10)

I'm still here and pretty much working on the same things I was working on back then. Getting stronger while at a better body weight.

OP, do your thing man...lift for yourself and fight to reach whatever goals you have man. Nothing wrong with it.

And why aren't you competing yet ???

:)

you don't need big numbers to compete, if everyone was worried about not having the best numbers nobody would compete, there's always someone stronger than you what are you waiting for ?? :)

Right now, mainly because I'm a diabetic and I'm just getting myself back off insulin but I've been researching some of the different federations and I'll probably be able to in the USPA.

My older brother competed in either the USPA or USPF, I can't remember which one. But anyway, I need to get myself a bit healthier first. The USPA has a comp every January right up the road from me and I'd like to get in there sometime.

BrotherWolf
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Right now, mainly because I'm a diabetic and I'm just getting myself back off insulin but I've been researching some of the different federations and I'll probably be able to in the USPA.

My older brother competed in either the USPA or USPF, I can't remember which one. But anyway, I need to get myself a bit healthier first. The USPA has a comp every January right up the road from me and I'd like to get in there sometime.

Oh yeah that is an issue.. good luck though whatever you choose it's going to be fun regardless

sok454
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I see what you're saying for sure. You've got have some balance I do approach each lift individually, and not just the big 3. BOR, pullups, leg press, all of them...I'm trying to get stronger across the board so I get your point.

But I get the OP's point as well. I wrestled in high school and my last two periods were weight training. They had a sign up on the wall in the Castle Park weight room that said "when you and your opponents are equal, the difference is strength" and next to that they had the 300lb bench club with everyone's name on it. In the grand scheme of things, benching 300 doesn't mean much but it's something I've always wanted to do that and I think it good to use whatever method you want to push yourself to improve. Granted, it was pretty hard when I only weighed between 155 and 165 pounds at 16-18 years old.

This is a journal post from 8-16-2005

This is the first time I benched 300 on 1-10-2006

I'm still here and pretty much working on the same things I was working on back then. Getting stronger while at a better body weight.

OP, do your thing man...lift for yourself and fight to reach whatever goals you have man. Nothing wrong with it.

Getsum,

Looking at your journal in 2006 I am at about those same #'s in terms of sets/reps as you were then and I just benched 300 for first time about 6 weeks ago. I'm focusing more on squats now and DL. I am hoping to see some good gains in my squats since i'm doing them for the first time in 15 years.

Good luck!

Marius_Ursus
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM

From one point of view, yeah but not from the point of view of powerlifting as a pursuit. When your main goal is to increase the total, you focus on that total. For me it means getting my deadlift as high as I can because that's my strongest lift. Bench sucks, so I train and struggle to get that number up, but I train deadlift harder because I know that lift will improve faster than either my bench or squat. I'm a genetic freak for pulls, so that's my emphasis. Squat increases at a moderate pace but still suffers from my focus on deadlift while my bench barely moves at all.

Something is going to suffer in a powerlifter's pursuit to get that total to climb. A "well-rounded" powerlifter whose bench, squat, and deadlift all increase at the same pace isn't going to excel in the sport.

Getsum
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah that is an issue.. good luck though whatever you choose it's going to be fun regardless

Yeah. I'm still having a blast though so it's all good.

Getsum,

Looking at your journal in 2006 I am at about those same #'s in terms of sets/reps as you were then and I just benched 300 for first time about 6 weeks ago. I'm focusing more on squats now and DL. I am hoping to see some good gains in my squats since i'm doing them for the first time in 15 years.

Good luck!

Gratz man. I'm on cool down but will get you in the morning.

From one point of view, yeah but not from the point of view of powerlifting as a pursuit. When your main goal is to increase the total, you focus on that total. For me it means getting my deadlift as high as I can because that's my strongest lift. Bench sucks, so I train and struggle to get that number up, but I train deadlift harder because I know that lift will improve faster than either my bench or squat. I'm a genetic freak for pulls, so that's my emphasis. Squat increases at a moderate pace but still suffers from my focus on deadlift while my bench barely moves at all.

Something is going to suffer in a powerlifter's pursuit to get that total to climb. A "well-rounded" powerlifter whose bench, squat, and deadlift all increase at the same pace isn't going to excel in the sport.

Dude, loan me some of you deadlift skills...it's the lift I really struggle with.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM

OK, I get that, good point. Guess I'm just looking at it from my persoanl perspective rather than overall for everyone. I know I can increase my weight on all 3 right now, though deads and squats have most room for improvement. So I know I can basically get stronger by working these 3 lifts. That's really all I want to do, improve overall.

Each one of these lifts sort of stands alone as a primary test for strength. Though each pretty much use every muscle group to one extent or the other, each has a target group. For me personally, squats and deads target too similar a group (legs). I need to improve my dead form and technique to focus somewhat lesser on legs, more on core/back. However, bench primarily measures upper body strength, deads core /back, and squat legs. I wasn't planning on using the total number for life, just for a couple of months to see where I could get to.

I appreciate all the input, some very good knowledge on the subject here.

Getsum
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
OK, I get that, good point. Guess I'm just looking at it from my persoanl perspective rather than overall for everyone. I know I can increase my weight on all 3 right now, though deads and squats have most room for improvement. So I know I can basically get stronger by working these 3 lifts. That's really all I want to do, improve overall.

Each one of these lifts sort of stands alone as a primary test for strength. Though each pretty much use every muscle group to one extent or the other, each has a target group. For me personally, squats and deads target too similar a group (legs). I need to improve my dead form and technique to focus somewhat lesser on legs, more on core/back. However, bench primarily measures upper body strength, deads core /back, and squat legs. I wasn't planning on using the total number for life, just for a couple of months to see where I could get to.

Here's a couple of cool sites you should checkout. The first one is basically from the 5/3/1 program I'm currently using and the second has been around for ages.

http://www.strstd.com/

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Marius_Ursus
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM

The fact that deads and squats work the posterior chain to some extent in the same ways makes them good accessory exercises for one another. Splitting the work week up, you can get good results working both in the same week, even throwing in deadlift and squat accessories on alternate days.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I should also note that I don't take any personal records to add into the number on any given week. Each week, I take That Week's best numbers and add them up. One week I didn't even do any flat bench presses, I did Inclines only...so the number went down because of that, but went up when I felt stronger on deads.

Each week, I try and push the total up, and will continue untill at least first of Spring. Then, I'm sure I'll need to find some other goal to chase.

Gonna check out those links Getsum, thanks.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's a couple of cool sites you should checkout. The first one is basically from the 5/3/1 program I'm currently using and the second has been around for ages.

http://www.strstd.com/

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Cool stuff, I like that calculator. I'm in the middle of intermediate and advanced! Cool(I guess). Gotta admit, this whole topic kind of has my psyched. Feeling good, tomorrow's squat day, and I'm ready to get serious.

Been slowly improving my lifting and skill now for about 3 years, and I must admit it's been a personal battle to improve. I'm motivated, but have failed in diet and intensity. Often suffer from overtraining too. It's taken me time to get basics down, but I think I may be there now. Lifting sort of becomes your lifestyle, live, eat and sleep it.

Marius_Ursus
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I should also note that I don't take any personal records to add into the number on any given week. Each week, I take That Week's best numbers and add them up. One week I didn't even do any flat bench presses, I did Inclines only...so the number went down because of that, but went up when I felt stronger on deads.

Each week, I try and push the total up, and will continue untill at least first of Spring. Then, I'm sure I'll need to find some other goal to chase.

Gonna check out those links Getsum, thanks.

Is it really a goal if you're inconsistent in the exercises you perform week to week?

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Is it really a goal if you're inconsistent in the exercises you perform week to week?

You mean, should I do the at least one each of the exact same lift each week? (refering to the inclined bench rather than flat??)

Marius_Ursus
01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
You mean, should I do the at least one each of the exact same lift each week? (refering to the inclined bench rather than flat??)

If you're trying to measure progress, yes. You can't benchmark something that's not there.

If you're just into lifting for the lulz, it doesn't make any difference.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
If you're trying to measure progress, yes. You can't benchmark something that's not there.

If you're just into lifting for the lulz, it doesn't make any difference.

For the most part, and especially now that I've decided to measure this in this way, I do a course of flat bench, standard squats, and deads each split. I took the measurements from my past few months and added them(before I had this idea), there was a week I didn't do flat bench... What I'll do is always have a flat bench, and throw inclines in that day as well with either bar or bells if I want.

But yeah, do the same 3 exact lifts each split or else why bother to do this at all.

Medtreker
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Hey!! It's Better Than Just Training Arms!!! LOL