PDA

View Full Version : Guidance on how best to cut - maintaining muscle mass?

pbohart
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi.

I was stuck at a plateau on both weight and strength for about 5 months. I got a lot of feedback that my problem was that I was not eating enough. I am 6'3, 41, and I weighed 185 pounds.

I was eating around 2800 cals per day, lifting 4x per week, and doing HIIT for 25 minutes 2-3 times per week.

Based on the advice - I upped my cals to 3500 (300g prot and kept fat at <100g) for 3 months and cut out HIIT for the last 3 weeks. My weight has gone up to around 195 - but some of that is definitely fat.

So now I want to smartly cut the fat, while keeping the muscle I surely gained eating over maintenance and lifting HEAVY.

Can you guys give me some pointers?

1. Drop cals back down to 2800....or lower?
2. What about Macros?
3. Obviously add back in the HIIT.
4. Continue lifting heavy?

Much appreciated!

acrawlingchaos
01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Mass is changes based on intake vs activity. You gain and lose according to how much over or under you are eating in relation you your maintenance level. Cardio can help create a calorie deficit, and so can reducing intake.

When you gain or lose weight, create a SMALL calorie deficit or surplus Too much of a surplus when gaining and you have spill over into fat, too much of a deficit in weight loss and you chance losing hard earned muscle mass.

Protein is important on a cut and will help retain lean mass. Consuming about a gram per pound of lean mass should be enough (around 150-170 would be a good number to aim for, for you).

Strength training is needed to help retain mass as well. If you don't give your body a need to keep the muscle, it won't.

highiso
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Leangains.com