PDA

View Full Version : Just getting back into things...

jcbuche
01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm just getting back into lifting, after a 12 year break.

I'm about three weeks into my program and of course have tons of questions, but for now I was wondering about diet and supplements.

I've never been into pills, drinks or anything that promises to 'get ripped'. The only thing I'm taking right now is protein shakes.

I take a whey protein shake in the morning, right after a workout and sometimes one right before a workout. I'm also drinking a casein shake right before bed.

My main goal is to make sure I'm not wasting any potential for muscle gain by not supplying my body with something it needs.

So I guess my question is: Is there any thing I should be considering to add to my diet, in the interest of gaining muscle mass?

Thank you for any advice.

mp9750
01-29-2012, 08:18 AM
First Welcome back!

So what exactly is your diet? I only see lots protein powder here... . Don't get me wrong, protein powder is good but should only be used to fill the gaps in your diet. Are you eating enough "solid" food?

jcbuche
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
First Welcome back!

So what exactly is your diet? I only see lots protein powder here... . Don't get me wrong, protein powder is good but should only be used to fill the gaps in your diet. Are you eating enough "solid" food?

I haven't started keeping logs of my diet yet, but here's a rough idea:

6am whey protein shake

9am banana and or two packages of oatmeal

11am salad w/ vinaigrette and chicken breast or fish. Water or vitamin water.

3pm banana, apple or power bar

5pm whey protein shake
workout then another whey protein shake

7pm 11am salad w/ vinaigrette and chicken breast or fish. Water or vitamin water.

8pm-9pm casein shake before bed

In bed by 10.

Just FYI, I'm 6'3'' 270 lbs, not sure what my body fat percentage is, but I'm definitely not obese, but of course not 270 lbs of pure muscle either. Everything I've read leads me to believe I should be taking alot of protein, and I'm finding it hard because I'm not always hungry, which is why I'm hitting the protein shakes hard. Try to keep my meats to chicken, turkey and fish.

Hope that helps, thanks.

tsoden
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Sounds lie a real restricted diet.... Why don't you add some red meat instead of all the shakes? One thing I found with shakes is I really tired of the flavours....and was itching for real food.

jcbuche
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Sounds lie a real restricted diet.... Why don't you add some red meat instead of all the shakes? One thing I found with shakes is I really tired of the flavours....and was itching for real food.

I'm trying to stay away from red meats because of health reasons, unless I'm misinformed chicken and fish have the same if not more protein, without the side effects of what it does to the heart and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE steaks, so I've been trying to limit it to one every week or two.

Plus where do you think I should add it? Lunch or dinner?

You mentioned the diet is strict, where should I indulge a little? I know what you mean about the shakes, but they're aren't too bad if I blend them with a banana or table spoon of peanut butter.