PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb recipes and calories in them

Kraken
01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I have a slew of low carb and low fat recipes based on if I lifted that particular day or not. I simply time my high carbs days.

Anyway, thats not the point of the thread. What I noticed is, a lot of low carb recipes I am finding have an insane amount of calories. It's almost like people think if they are on a low carb diet, they don't need to count anything else. For instance, a recipe might have 14 carbs, but then it has 60g of fat and 25-30g of protein per serving. Now, it doesn't seem THAT bad, except for the fact that this doesnt include side dishes and volume control. The volume of the servings are quite small.

This really isnt to bash low carb dieters, but rather, I seriously wonder if the people who make these recipes understand the whole calorie part of dieting. SOme of these recipes are great, I Just have to modify them to get the fat down a little so that my cals and macros are reasonable.

Just kind of a vent. My wife doesnt get any of my diet gibbering and so she doesn't get it or loses interest. lol

freebirdmac
01-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a slew of low carb and low fat recipes based on if I lifted that particular day or not. I simply time my high carbs days.

Anyway, thats not the point of the thread. What I noticed is, a lot of low carb recipes I am finding have an insane amount of calories. It's almost like people think if they are on a low carb diet, they don't need to count anything else. For instance, a recipe might have 14 carbs, but then it has 60g of fat and 25-30g of protein per serving. Now, it doesn't seem THAT bad, except for the fact that this doesnt include side dishes and volume control. The volume of the servings are quite small.

This really isnt to bash low carb dieters, but rather, I seriously wonder if the people who make these recipes understand the whole calorie part of dieting. SOme of these recipes are great, I Just have to modify them to get the fat down a little so that my cals and macros are reasonable.

Just kind of a vent. My wife doesnt get any of my diet gibbering and so she doesn't get it or loses interest. lol

Well if you go low carb you have to up the fats. And watch portions. A lot of people make the huge mistake of going low carb, but don't increase their fats to keep the cals down and fall below the minimum fat intake. You can't just eat protein. Fat should be filling making portion control easier.

Kraken
01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Well if you go low carb you have to up the fats. And watch portions. A lot of people make the huge mistake of going low carb, but don't increase their fats to keep the cals down and fall below the minimum fat intake. You can't just eat protein. Fat should be filling making portion control easier.

I was afraid of this, my point was missed.

What I noticed is, a lot of low carb recipes I am finding have an insane amount of calories. It's almost like people think if they are on a low carb diet, they don't need to count anything else.

I have a complete understanding of nutrition, so I understand how low carb/low fat diets work and their breakdowns. It's simple what I am saying, they make these meals so packed with calories, that the portions are really tiny.

freebirdmac
01-28-2012, 07:37 PM
I was afraid of this, my point was missed.

I have a complete understanding of nutrition, so I understand how low carb/low fat diets work and their breakdowns. It's simple what I am saying, they make these meals so packed with calories, that the portions are really tiny.

Yes they are. I got you were saying that.