PDA

View Full Version : Right-Left strength imbalance

RohanDK
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Putting all the obvious masturbation jokes aside I'm finding that my right, both upper and lower body strength, is mismatched in favor of my right.

I've really begun to notice the difference now that I'm getting into "unknown territory" with my squats, bench press and shoulder presses. I'm conscious of form, but quite often now I'm compensating for the left side by shifting the balance slightly to cover it with my right.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to improve my left sides strength? I've wondered if adding in a day of left side exercises only would work, or if maybe attempting an extra rep or two during a set (dumbbell shoulder press for example) would help. Maybe I go for a more power-lifting training session with my left; lower the reps but increase the weight?

I'm open to try anything really, but thoughts and suggestions from others who might be experiencing the same or who have jumped this hurdle already would be great!

Thanks!

ironwill2008
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
How long have you been training on a consistent basis?

RohanDK
01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
How long have you been training on a consistent basis?

I started June 2011; so 7 months. I probably average 5-6 hours per week.

Zoukero
01-29-2012, 03:47 AM
It is normal to have one side stronger/more flexible than the other. specially if you have not train for very long. Keep reps and weight about the same for both sides. you can do extra reps with less weight on both sides and with focus on form. This will strengthen your weak spots and also allow your weaker side to catch up.

cmoore
01-29-2012, 05:51 AM
It is normal to have one side stronger/more flexible than the other. specially if you have not train for very long. Keep reps and weight about the same for both sides. you can do extra reps with less weight on both sides and with focus on form. This will strengthen your weak spots and also allow your weaker side to catch up.

^ this. Totally normal. Punish your weaker side. GL

hlydon
01-29-2012, 07:00 AM
A word of advice from my personal experience, don't use barbell exercises to bring up your weaker side i.e. don't use bench press, squats, etc. Use single-joint lifts i.e. dumbbell lifts, single-leg extensions. My right leg used to be weaker/smaller than my left by a little. I focused on shifting a little more of the weight to my right leg when doing squats. Now, my right leg is bigger and stronger than my left. Doh! Stick to good form on barbell lifts despite the imbalance.

JOHN GARGANI
01-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I've really begun to notice the difference now that I'm getting into "unknown territory" with my squats, bench press and shoulder presses. I'm conscious of form, but quite often now I'm compensating for the left side by shifting the balance slightly to cover it with my right.

what you are describing is VERY dangerous! you HAVE to get out that habit and right now!

Guinea-pig
01-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Your dominant side will be stronger most of the time work on perfecting your form I still have a stronger side and minute muscle symmetry.

RohanDK
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Zoukero, cmoore, hlydon, Guinea-pig - Thanks for all the replies! Some really useful points and apparently it's not uncommon for the dominant side to be stronger. I'll work with Dbs more and focus on form.

JOHN GARGANI - thanks for your concern! I'll definitely make the change and fix this habit now. :)

ironwill2008
01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
You're relatively new to training, and as such, as has already been stated, imbalances are fairly common. Sometimes, even the subdominant side of the body will appear to be better-developed. Geez, when I first started training, everything on me was out of whack.

Don't attempt to "bring up" the less-developed side by giving it more work; the body will sometimes respond in ways we don't expect, and to do so may leave you with a worse imbalance than you have now.

Just continue to train your entire body equally, and give it time. Eventually, things will most often even out to a point where previously unmatched body parts will no longer appear so.

Something else to consider is that it's highly possible that you are the only person who sees your imbalances. Not that you're imagining them, but rather that such things aren't often noticed by anyone but ourselves.