PDA

View Full Version : gym on crutches?

was strong
01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
i am finally getting a 20 year old plate removed from my leg. looks like it will heal up pretty quick if it all goes well. my goal is over the next 2 months to try my best and work around the injury while i heal up.

it is a left tibia and i will be wearing one of the ski boot looking things. anyways going to keep the diet as clean as possible and cardio probably wont be an option.

i am going to keep the weight off the bad wheel and stick with seated machines, pull up s, benching with feet elevated (practiced it yesterday and wow, thats wild). i am thinking higher reps around 15 to 20 to make up for the lack of cardio.

the doc says the treadmill is realistic in 2 months for light jogging and since my leg has a fused tib/fib it is very thick where the fracture site was so this really isnt as risky as it sounds.

anyone have experience with this or suggestions/feedback and of course any movements that are good for this type situation?? my main goal is to keep some strength but really to avoid putting on fat. i am at 200lbs right now and would be please to remain at that weight over the Abyss. Looks like i have an excuse to take legs and dead lifts out of the routine for the next 2 months, it sure is bitter sweet.

pastorgbc
01-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Good for you for keeping up the workouts.

I would stick with machines until you can put weight on the leg. Be careful with using too much weight as your balance will be off and your stability as well. The last thing you want to do is pull a hip flex or or get a hernia.

Ray

was strong
01-28-2012, 08:50 AM
i am finally getting a 20 year old plate removed from my leg. looks like it will heal up pretty quick if it all goes well. my goal is over the next 2 months to try my best and work around the injury while i heal up.

it is a left tibia and i will be wearing one of the ski boot looking things. anyways going to keep the diet as clean as possible and cardio probably wont be an option.

i am going to keep the weight off the bad wheel and stick with seated machines, pull up s, benching with feet elevated (practiced it yesterday and wow, thats wild). i am thinking higher reps around 15 to 20 to make up for the lack of cardio.

the doc says the treadmill is realistic in 2 months for light jogging and since my leg has a fused tib/fib it is very thick where the fracture site was so this really isnt as risky as it sounds.

anyone have experience with this or suggestions/feedback and of course any movements that are good for this type situation?? my main goal is to keep some strength but really to avoid putting on fat. i am at 200lbs right now and would be please to remain at that weight over the Abyss. Looks like i have an excuse to take legs and dead lifts out of the routine for the next 2 months, it sure is bitter sweet.

Good for you for keeping up the workouts.

I would stick with machines until you can put weight on the leg. Be careful with using too much weight as your balance will be off and your stability as well. The last thing you want to do is pull a hip flex or or get a hernia.

Ray

great point!! Thank you for that, i looked at the notes and should be off crutches within a week if things go smooth. it will be a lot easier going in on the boot then lugging crutches. funny thing i remembered was that the tris are my new legs for a bit when i am on crutches. the drive to gym isnt far from my house but but going to be tricky in with a standard.