PDA

View Full Version : Can I ever get back to Basketball Shape?

willsorr75
01-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm sure this has already been posted, so I apologize for creating a new one. I'm 36 years old, and played competitive basketball till I was 23. I was 28 when I hit the floor once again, and found out quick that I was not who i use to be. I didn't stay in shape, and just recently six months ago started lifting weights again. I can barely run 3 miles in under 35 minutes, and afterwards I feel like im going to die. I have a new job, and everyone here plays basketball during the warm months. I've been asked to join a team, but I'm worried I'm just getting myself into trouble. I know there is no way I could guard someone in good/great shape, and play offense. I was told if I added a HIIT running program to my workout I could work myself back into shape. I plan on running three nights a week doing HIIT. I was told I should do some long distance running on the other days, but will my legs get over worked? I also once a week do five sets of squats. Am I stupid to think I could be back in shape this year to play a serious game of basketball? Hopefully there is a member of this forum who was in my shoes, and is now in great shape, and can give me some advice. Thanks ahead for any comments....

ArchAngel'73
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Although I now focus on bb'ing I played ball for years and even up to my 4th year of university.
I "retired" from b-ball after an injury cost me time off from work.

Your primary focus should be on 1 or the other.
If you want to play ball again, train for it.
Run, jump, shoot, suicide sprints, etc. etc..

I would take 3 days out of the week to complete the entire body in those three days, focussing on strength training so you can handle the hits and dish them out. In and out, no more than 40 minutes of strength training.

The rest of the week, do basketball stuff.
Train like you would play basketball, and basketball can best be desribed as a HIIT like experience.Lotsa running, getting into position, and then waiting for the ball to come into play.

I'm not going to spoon feed you a program for neither as it is best for you to search, but both can be found here on bb.com.

Try not to play a game the same day as your weight training...the weights REALLY phuck up shooting, so will getting stronger and you will have to adjust your shot as you get stronger.

keyboardworkout
01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Following Dan John's Easy Strength would be ideal. It's basically a very limited 2-3 day a week strength training program since most of your training is your sport. Kettlebell swings, deadlift, overhead press and Turkish Get Up.

Long distance running is pretty silly. It's like football lineman being forced to run 3 miles. It's not something they see during game play. Sprints the length of the court is what you do. Intervals!

Saw an interesting study on why basketball players have so many knee problems. The jump shot is to blame. Look at a the knees of someone as they take a jump shot. The knees are usually pointed in and the feet out. Exactly the way you are warned will cause injury while squatting.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Can I ever get back to Basketball Shape?

You mean round?

:)

Old-Time-Lifter
01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
You mean round?
:)

LOL

Honestly I don't think it would take me long at all to get back into 'basketball shape' but honestly I could care less about that. Losing weight and building cardiovascular endurance comes much quicker than building muscle ever will super supps or no...

x-trainer ben
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm sure this has already been posted, so I apologize for creating a new one. I'm 36 years old, and played competitive basketball till I was 23. I was 28 when I hit the floor once again, and found out quick that I was not who i use to be. I didn't stay in shape, and just recently six months ago started lifting weights again. I can barely run 3 miles in under 35 minutes, and afterwards I feel like im going to die. I have a new job, and everyone here plays basketball during the warm months. I've been asked to join a team, but I'm worried I'm just getting myself into trouble. I know there is no way I could guard someone in good/great shape, and play offense. I was told if I added a HIIT running program to my workout I could work myself back into shape. I plan on running three nights a week doing HIIT. I was told I should do some long distance running on the other days, but will my legs get over worked? I also once a week do five sets of squats. Am I stupid to think I could be back in shape this year to play a serious game of basketball? Hopefully there is a member of this forum who was in my shoes, and is now in great shape, and can give me some advice. Thanks ahead for any comments....

If a full court game is 3-6 miles , then train to be able to run 3-6 with lots of little sprints( a steal) in between. You can still squat, and run, i do.

mixbwoy
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I was somewhat in the same situation a couple of years ago after ankle surgery. I was out for about a year & half & was unable to play soccer. The best way to get in basketball shape is to play basketball. Weight training & cardio will def help, but you need your body to get use to the movements of the game, which can't be simulated unless you are actually playing. So, go find a pick up game & hustle your ass off.

willsorr75
01-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the motivation. I think my mind was just trying to talk me out of all the hard work. Now that I know others think with hard work I can get back into shape it will be easier to push through that mental break...

willsorr75
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at Dan John's Easy Strength. I have a desk job, so I have plenty of time to ready journals, post and and programs. You are right about the knees. My coach told me my shot would give me bad knees on day.

Following Dan John's Easy Strength would be ideal. It's basically a very limited 2-3 day a week strength training program since most of your training is your sport. Kettlebell swings, deadlift, overhead press and Turkish Get Up.

Long distance running is pretty silly. It's like football lineman being forced to run 3 miles. It's not something they see during game play. Sprints the length of the court is what you do. Intervals!

Saw an interesting study on why basketball players have so many knee problems. The jump shot is to blame. Look at a the knees of someone as they take a jump shot. The knees are usually pointed in and the feet out. Exactly the way you are warned will cause injury while squatting.

cowboybiker
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
You mean round?

:)negged for beating me to it

willsorr75
01-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Never thought of it that way. I guess I need to map out a mile area, and every two min in to my jog sprint four about 30-60 seconds.. Thanks for suggestion.

If a full court game is 3-6 miles , then train to be able to run 3-6 with lots of little sprints( a steal) in between. You can still squat, and run, i do.

willsorr75
01-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Nothing but truth in that!! I guess I will have to force myself to play and humiliate myself. The guys I play with know I played and heard I was good, but when they see me now, there will probably be a few chuckles! I have enough endurance to play offense, it's the defense that drains me. I seem to always get stuck with someone who won't play the block and I have to chase them all over the court. Thanks for your opinion, I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and hit the court as well.

I was somewhat in the same situation a couple of years ago after ankle surgery. I was out for about a year & half & was unable to play soccer. The best way to get in basketball shape is to play basketball. Weight training & cardio will def help, but you need your body to get use to the movements of the game, which can't be simulated unless you are actually playing. So, go find a pick up game & hustle your ass off.

sok454
01-30-2012, 07:59 AM
how big are the guys you are playing with? I mean you are 6'7 230. That's pretty lean especially if you are not in shape as you said. Unless the guys you are playing are a bunch of former D1 players I doubt you'll have much trouble holding your own. As far as getting in shape... do working out like other people listed and start playing. No better way to be in bball shape than to play the game. I just started playing again for first time since knee surgery 2+ years ago... first full court game about killed me... like you said.... Defense is the worst!

willsorr75
01-30-2012, 09:21 AM
I just added my profile picture finally. I'm not real big, and I'm not cut. I'm just kind of in the middle. My biggest weakness is my leg strength. My upper body is probably strong enough. I guess I shouldn't have neglected my legs all these years. Someone told me my legs are the most import part of a basketball players body. The guys I'll be playing with are about five inches shorter, but weigh about the same. They are in pretty good shape, so I would expect to chase who ever I'll be guarding all over the court. I guess I could get in a pickup game with my 13 year old kid and friends! (JOKE)

how big are the guys you are playing with? I mean you are 6'7 230. That's pretty lean especially if you are not in shape as you said. Unless the guys you are playing are a bunch of former D1 players I doubt you'll have much trouble holding your own. As far as getting in shape... do working out like other people listed and start playing. No better way to be in bball shape than to play the game. I just started playing again for first time since knee surgery 2+ years ago... first full court game about killed me... like you said.... Defense is the worst!

ezra76
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Similar answers here. A mix of moderate weightlifting and cardio should help a lot. Basically you need to get your muscles strong enough again to handle running, jumping and especially landing. Make sure you stretch and warm up obviously.

Another thing, don't try to do too much. You will probably be the most experienced guy out there. Just tell them you want to play zone, reject anyone who dares come inside, grab rebounds and if you happen to get something open without a chance of landing on someone's shoe, throw one down with 2 hands just to let them know the old guy still has it, lol.

I played with my brother last year a bit. It took me about a month to start feeling comfortable playing some 3 on 3's half court. I was fine against the local HS kids. Just stuck to basics though. Pick and roll's, box out and basically set them up to score. If I was feeling I could against a guy, I'd come out to high post and take it to them off dribble like 1992 but only once in a while.

mixbwoy
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Nothing but truth in that!! I guess I will have to force myself to play and humiliate myself. The guys I play with know I played and heard I was good, but when they see me now, there will probably be a few chuckles! I have enough endurance to play offense, it's the defense that drains me. I seem to always get stuck with someone who won't play the block and I have to chase them all over the court. Thanks for your opinion, I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and hit the court as well.

It's never easy going back after I long break from your sport. I would first just concentrate on playing simple, fundamentals. By the 3rd & 4th week you should be in much better shape to do more. Your muscle memory for the sport should mostly be back by then. First couple of times might be a little demoralizing, but don't quit. It will be worth it in the end. Especially if you love to do it.

Another thing, don't try to do too much. You will probably be the most experienced guy out there. Just tell them you want to play zone, reject anyone who dares come inside, grab rebounds and if you happen to get something open without a chance of landing on someone's shoe, throw one down with 2 hands just to let them know the old guy still has it, lol.

This.

Saskwatch
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree you should be fine. I didn't play competitively (not college varsity if that's what you mean) but I played on my high school team and some industrial league teams that were pretty good and the top intramurals league in college. I didn't play at all for about 12 years, then a couple of years ago I played in my Church league, which had some guys from the local Community College team. I was over 300 lbs @ 6'3"and by then 2nd half of the season I went from the last guy on the bench to being very competitive with those guys. You appear to be in much better shape than I was but as someone else said, playing ball is the best way to get back into ball shape. The other things you mentioned will definitely help. At 36 you'll never get back to where you were at 23 but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quick a lot of your game comes back.