PDA

View Full Version : 1x per week. is it worth the effort?

boathead
01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
due to some lousy circumstances, i've had to take a second FULL time job. this leaves me 8 hours to commute, shower, sleep. it is what it is, and i'm not sure i can even pull it off.

nonetheless, looks like i will be only able to get 1 saturday workout in. maybe a friday afternoon as well.

is it worth it? this will probably last only thru june.

what would YOU do. and would like to hear of any 1 day full body routine that you might think would maintain some semblance of strength.

rand18m
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
due to some lousy circumstances, i've had to take a second FULL time job. this leaves me 8 hours to commute, shower, sleep. it is what it is, and i'm not sure i can even pull it off.

nonetheless, looks like i will be only able to get 1 saturday workout in. maybe a friday afternoon as well.

what would YOU do. and would like to hear of any 1 day full body routine that you might think would maintain some semblance of strength.

It is absolutely worth it! I think you're going to be surprised how well you do on one workout a week! My suspicion is that you have worked out for sometime, enough to consider yourself past the beginner stage. If that's the case, then you should have in your mind the intensity that will be needed. Plus it also sounds as if the stress reliever that will accompany the workout will be good for you.

At 50, if you have very intense workouts there is a chance that you don't fully recover for a week anyway. So design a good routine that focus' on one main compound per body part, (legs, push, pull) and fit in what filler exercises you can around those. And above all, make them very intensive and you'll do fine! Maybe even better!! Good luck!

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
is it worth it?

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. (I don't know how else to put it.)

what would YOU do.

I'd do 5 ramped sets (up to one heavy set of 5 reps) each of Deadlifts, Barbell Squats, and either Incline Presses or Standing OHP.

IOW:
Deadlifts 5x5 to one top set of 5

BB Squat 5x5 to one top set of 5

Press of your choice 5x5 to one top set of 5

Keep a close eye on your nutrition/calorie intake during this time, so you don't either over- or under-eat.

You'll be fine; June isn't that far off.

bigtallox
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
is it worth it?

Yes.

what would YOU do.

I'd train strongman events hard on that one day.

acrawlingchaos
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
A basic full body 3x5 twice a week is more than enough to maintain and even move forward. Absolutely man.

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. (I don't know how else to put it.)

^^^THIS!!!^^^^

I'd train strongman events hard on that one day.

Are you implying he should or that you would?

boathead
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
good stuff peeps. you've convinced me. i should be able to do pullups/pushups AT work. i work with kids, and if i bring in a pullup bar i'm sure they'll join me.

thinking:

squat 5 x 5 ramp
bench 5 x 5 ramp; 1 max rep bw set
tbar row 3 x 8
oh press 2 x 10
deads 1x5 top set; 1x10 lighter weight.

tmonkey
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
That's a bummer boat man I hope thinks work out so you won't have to do that all to long and things can get back to normal for you.

But I also agree one day is better then no days.

rand18m
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
good stuff peeps. you've convinced me. i should be able to do pullups/pushups AT work. i work with kids, and if i bring in a pullup bar i'm sure they'll join me.

thinking:

squat 5 x 5 ramp
tbar row 3 x 8
oh press 2 x 10

Looks great to me!!! I bet you surprise yourself how well you do!

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 01:25 PM

thinking:

squat 5 x 5 ramp
tbar row 3 x 8
oh press 2 x 10

That should work just fine. Make any adjustments as you see fit as you go.

One more time, so you don't lose faith: You'll be okay. June isn't that far off.

Kraken
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't be asking if once a week is worth the effort, but rather, is the effort worth once a week.

You would be amazed what once or twice a week can do, but, you better be willing to put the effort in to the workout to make it work. It WON'T be an easy workout, and shouldn't be either.

boathead
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
That should work just fine. Make any adjustments as you see fit as you go.

One more time, so you don't lose faith: You'll be okay. June isn't that far off.

thanks for the encouragement bill. the thought of doing this is daunting. i'm better off not thinking about it, putting the blinders on, and getting in the routine. sort of like a workout program.:)

I wouldn't be asking if once a week is worth the effort, but rather, is the effort worth once a week.

You would be amazed what once or twice a week can do, but, you better be willing to put the effort in to the workout to make it work. It WON'T be an easy workout, and shouldn't be either.
word.

that of course is the proper way to look at it.

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
thanks for the encouragement bill. the thought of doing this is daunting. i'm better off not thinking about it, putting the blinders on, and getting in the routine. sort of like a workout program.:)

Just do it, and don't worry about it.

You've been a member here for far too long for me to just let you fall away from training just because your time is limited.

paolo59
01-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Sorry for the circumstances brother! With some creativity and determination that Saturday workout will be what it needs to be. Go for it!

GuyJin
01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
What Ironwill said. Just do the basics of squat, deadlift, bench in the 5x5 progression on the day you work out, and if you can do pullups/chins and pushups during your lunch break on the other days it should be more than enough. You could even slip in some calf raises on the stairs while you walk up them.

chodan9
01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I would do it if I had to

but I would find a way to do it more if I had to put a pullup/dip tower in my office LOL

Kraken
01-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I would do it if I had to

but I would find a way to do it more if I had to put a pullup/dip tower in my office LOL

No doubt. Check out tsoden's thread about balancing famiy and weight lifting with a busy life. Where there is a way, there is a way. YOu WILL find time if you are determined.

philipj
01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Go to youtube and look up body by science and/or Dr Doug Mcguff. He is an emergency room MD who has done some really good work similar to Mike Mentzer. I knew I would be against it!!, so I purchased his book. Due to being diabetic I need to exercise to burn up sugar. I do work out mon, wed and fri. Last friday my last exercise was horizontal squat according to his book. Wow, did that make a difference over the next 3 days. This week, friday I finished up with the horizontal squat machine, and pull down as Dr Mcguff writes about. Again, wow.

Eventually my friday will exclusively be his Body By Science method. I will continue my MWF + the walking after breakkfast, and indoor bike evenings, but that BBS is really something.

paolo59
01-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Hit it brother! Where there's a will, there's a way! :) Life can always get in the way at times, but there's always a way to get around things! LMFAO You've been dealing with 'youngsters' long enough to know that. Just a 'word to the wise!' Ha ha

gomez26
01-28-2012, 03:08 AM
i should be able to do pullups/pushups AT work. i work with kids, and if i bring in a pullup bar i'm sure they'll join me.

sure, do weighted pullups with kids hanging off you.

also get a van & do a few sets during lunch.
u should be able to do dumbbell bench, one-arm rows & db shoulder presses (kneeling) inside the van.
put a small bench inside it.
save the squats, deads etc for saturday.

Payton1221
01-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Tom, I've been too busy IRL to post, but PLEASE keep the training up. And knowing how you're the push-up/pull-up king, one structured workout with squats/deads and 1-2 more spread throughout the week with push-ups and pull-ups, I think you'll do fine. In fact, try to think of it as (have I ever given you the "change the meaning" speech;)), try to think of it as a 4-5 month experiment. You could do variations of push-ups (clap push-ups, feet-elevated push-ups), and for weighted pull-ups, have a 50# or 60# kid give you a big bear hug while you do them (srs).

drudixon
01-28-2012, 05:01 AM
I dont know your circumstances but I admire your courage and will to do something about it.

Brackneyc
01-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Pushups are good, and can be done anywhere. Pullups nearly the same. You could push you car up and down the street a few times a day.:) You can curl almost anything you can hang onto, as well as OHP. If you can get two days in, you will be gold (with a solid diet). I know for me (and only me) that training with methods other than standard gym equipment isn't the same, but if it was my only choice, I would do it.

emp1acur
01-28-2012, 07:24 AM
I dont know your circumstances but I admire your courage and will to do something about it.

^^^ This.

Obviously this 2nd job has become necessary for you, which requires an incredible amount of dedication to pull off. Kudos to you for doing what needs to be done, and hopefully the advice all the veterans have given you will help in that short journey. June will come fast. What you are doing is inspiring to others.

JohnDavis111
01-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Looks like everyone has told you all the workout stuff. I just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up and I hope your situation changes for the better and everything works out :)

painthappy
01-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Best of luck... But as everyone else has already mentioned, yes. Yes.

eomrat
01-28-2012, 09:05 AM

thinking:

squat 5 x 5 ramp
tbar row 3 x 8
oh press 2 x 10

Good idea. A lot of valuable body weight exercise you can do in short breaks at work, as well.

funkypigeon
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Go to youtube and look up body by science and/or Dr Doug Mcguff. He is an emergency room MD who has done some really good work similar to Mike Mentzer. I knew I would be against it!!, so I purchased his book. Due to being diabetic I need to exercise to burn up sugar. I do work out mon, wed and fri. Last friday my last exercise was horizontal squat according to his book. Wow, did that make a difference over the next 3 days. This week, friday I finished up with the horizontal squat machine, and pull down as Dr Mcguff writes about. Again, wow.

Eventually my friday will exclusively be his Body By Science method. I will continue my MWF + the walking after breakkfast, and indoor bike evenings, but that BBS is really something.

took the words right out of my mouth. watch his videos and if you find the time i reccomend that you read his book, in some of his studies people have done much better with 1 full body workout per week rather than severaal and thses people were doing 1 set of 5 exersices.
You should definately do the workout.

Bando
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
^^^ This.

Obviously this 2nd job has become necessary for you, which requires an incredible amount of dedication to pull off. Kudos to you for doing what needs to be done, and hopefully the advice all the veterans have given you will help in that short journey. June will come fast. What you are doing is inspiring to others.

X2 and repped!

boathead
01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
first saturday in the bank...did 5x5, very light weight, with squats, bench, rows, oh press, and deads.

i won't even mention how light i went as it was ridiculous, but doing these 5 major compounds in a row is a killer. topped it off with a few sets of abs, called it a day, and now to get ready for a stretch of 16 hour days, which starts tomorrow. :)

mark74
01-28-2012, 09:17 PM

As above, yes! And you rock!

powerlifter62
01-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Not ideal, but when is life ideal? A good workout once per week is infinitely better than no workouts per week.

You can def get gains even with once per week, as long as you make them hard workouts. What you may do is vary the order of what you do.

Big_Sky_Guy
01-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I am late to this, but have had times with coaching sports that I only had 2 days a week to lift and often something would come up on one.

I eventually found that I needed to get some extra calories the day before / of so I could keep trudging through a FB workout. I tended to do Squats, Bench, some shoulder work, Deads, whatever else I felt needed work and then do core.

Only 5 months. You got it!

trev71
01-29-2012, 09:48 AM
1x > 0x

Do it, some really good ideas as far as approaches go are already listed....

MontyMagpie
01-29-2012, 02:54 PM

This is when a home gym could come in handy cuts out the travel time and instead of watching Eastenders you put in 30mins of gym time a few times a week. Even if you just buy a set of dumbbells. Also You could leave a pair of dumbells at work and anytime you got spare in the day during break or lunch do a few sets.

Corbi
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
You don't need to workout, just use the power of the mind to visualize yourself staying in shape. Did I ever tell you about Arnolds 21" arms?

Fixed it for you MM.

MontyMagpie
01-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Fixed it for you MM.

That's a strange quote. A total twist of what I said.

Look at this anyway. Be a superhero for 10% more strength and find your power animal for extra strength. Mines a Magpie because I'm trying to build strong wings.

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports-psychology/i-am-batman-how-get-10-stronger-10-minutes-playing-dress

Arnold says think of being Hercules makes you stronger in his Encyclopedia .

Tommy W.
01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Just choose your exercises wisely then totally destroy yourself with them. Recoup all week. I used to have to do this and made great gains.

Balan7777
01-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Love the sneaking dumbells into work or working out in a van ideas!

I'm back at work soon and was only going to have a pair of hand grippers in my desk drawer, but now I'm wondering if I can put some sort of bench in the back of my Land Rover!

Excellent!

boathead
02-02-2012, 10:42 AM
thanks to all who responded. i'm sitting here at work.....the last of 4 consecutive 16 hour days....yikes. this will take some getting used to!

i did fit in one good pullup session: 21, 15, 15, 15, 15, 10, 10.

emp1acur
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
thanks to all who responded. i'm sitting here at work.....the last of 4 consecutive 16 hour days....yikes. this will take some getting used to!

i did fit in one good pullup session: 21, 15, 15, 15, 15, 10, 10.

Good to hear an update from you. I'll bet there were alot of folks wondering how those 16 hour days were going this week.

Hang in there and have a good workout this weekend.

ironwill2008
02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Good deal! Do what you can; it'll all add up.

miscmonster
02-12-2015, 06:41 PM
So do you think it is possible to gain strength and size working out only once a week?

mtpockets
02-13-2015, 01:33 AM
So do you think it is possible to gain strength and size working out only once a week?

as opposed to doing nothing.... yes

The op is no newbie....

you bumped a 3 year old thread to ask that?

rimam1
02-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Yes, it IS worth it. I work out twice a week based on Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program (I'm doing the "bastard" version which is similar to RPT)

Here's an article about guys who can only train once or twice a week. Just Google "Muscle for Life How to Maintain Muscle and Strength with Minimal Exercise"

Make it count!

1Fuzzy1
02-13-2015, 08:25 AM
One idea I didn't see mentioned...you could invest in some resistance bands and keep at your office. There are all kinds of things you can do with those and they take up no space.

Karl_Hungus
02-13-2015, 08:42 AM
You guys realize that your replies ceased being relevant as of June 2012....right?