PDA

View Full Version : Chest & Delts. How many days between in your split?

Brihosk
01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Hey folks,

How many days rest is recommended between heavy chest work (bench, incline bench or incline dumbells) and heavy shoulder work (overhead bar or dumbell press or Military)? Some do these on the same day but I dont have time. Just trying to hit both once a week.

123D321
01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
I hit chest on day 1 and shoulders on day 4 of a 5 day split.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 06:56 AM

This ^^^

That's about as good as you can get; 2 days between chest and delts then 3 days between delts and chest again.

DerAlta
01-27-2012, 07:13 AM
I do them on the same day. Progress from flat bench to incline bench to seated press.

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 08:00 AM
I can not do them one day after another. I need a day rest inbetween. If I don't give a day rest my numbers drop in weight and or reps also my joints hurt.
Typically I'll do day1 chest day2 back day3 shoulders etc... Futhermore, I don't believe in doing two major muscle groups in one training session. So, by doing them once a week like you are doing should be fine IMO.

jdtemple
01-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Chest on Monday, shoulders on Thursday.

2nd_chance
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Chest on Monday and Shoulders on Wednesday.

Minotaur
01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Used to be shoulders on Sunday, chest on Wednesday. Now shoulders on Monday, chest on Friday. 48 -72 hours between.

flairon
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
When you guys do chest/shoulders or any other muscle, do you do it as an individual muscle group that you focus on for a whole session or do you do like a basic 4/10 kind of session and pair up with another muscle or group like tris?

HoustonTXMuscle
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Chest on day 1 (Monday) and Shoulders on day 4 (Friday).

bigtallox
01-27-2012, 09:43 AM
How many days rest is recommended between heavy chest work (bench, incline bench or incline dumbells) and heavy shoulder work (overhead bar or dumbell press or Military)?

Hmmm, I use both when clean and pressing, flipping tires, atlas stones, farmers, yoke... Not that I train for DOMS, but I can tell even used both my chest and delts when deadlifting last night. I basically work both every session ( or almost every session ), personally I don't think it matters one bit how you actually split things up as long as you're getting your required rest in sometime.

Gool luck.

KindaBigGuns
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
This is my split and it is similar to what many others use. Not only on here, but from my experience at the gym. (one guy even happened to have the same routine I had, down to the shoulders and tri's on Thurs)
Legs done heavily only really need to be done 1x per week. Pushing and pulling exercises I have arranged so the "priority" days get 3 days rest vs. the 2 days rest the smaller body parts get.

Monday Chest & Abs
Tuesday Back
Wednesday Legs
Thursday Shoulders & Triceps
Friday Biceps & Abs
Weekends Off

Old-Time-Lifter
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Right now I'm training pec/delt/triceps on the same day. Personally I like doing it this way best.

Corbi
01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I had a heavy chest workout this wed and then shoulders today...not good as my right shoulder was screaming after 30 minutes. Going to separate them by at 2-3 days next week.

paolo59
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I can get by with following shoulders/traps with chest/bicep the next day if push comes to shove. It's a definite no the other way around! I prefer to have at least 2 days between chest and shoulder workouts.

JerryB
01-28-2012, 06:16 PM
I train chest, shoulder and triceps in the same day once a week.
I primarily use the push pull approach to training the upper body.

There is engagement of the all three muscle groups or combinations of the three muscle groups when executing compound exercises.
The three muscle groups get the same duration of a recovery period.

Brihosk
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
I train chest, shoulder and triceps in the same day once a week.
I primarily use the push pull approach to training the upper body.

There is engagement of the all three muscle groups or combinations of the three muscle groups when executing compound exercises.
The three muscle groups get the same duration of a recovery period.

Yeah I miss this way of working out as it brought me great results but the workouts were 1.5 hours and I just have the time anymore.
Thanks Folks for the replies. I am giving the five day split a try with Chest on Mon and Delts on Thurs.

chodan9
01-29-2012, 06:59 AM
same for me

JerryB
01-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah I miss this way of working out as it brought me great results but the workouts were 1.5 hours and I just have the time anymore.
Thanks Folks for the replies. I am giving the five day split a try with Chest on Mon and Delts on Thurs.

Good luck on your five day split. I don't think there is one optimum approach. Each individual must determine the best approach that works for them.

MontyMagpie
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
For me it is about 3-4 days but I take my days off in the split when I feel like taken them off so it could vary

Shreddon
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Mon: bicep & back
tue: chest, triceps & traps
wed: rest
thur: legs
friday delts, triceps & traps (trying to get tris and traps up to par
sat and sun : rest