PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions and or advice on grip straps

zedx
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I got small hands, like female small hands. I just deadlifted 295 and the bar almost slipped out of my right hand and I am right handed.

It's obvious that I have some weakness in my grip. But should I continue to keep doing them without straps to strengthen my grip or should I just start using the straps now? because I think my body can pull more weight although probably not a lot more. I would guess i can do 315 but i don't think my grip will.

Am I destined for needing them? Should i start now or wait awhile longer?

I actually have no clue here.

yakabebe
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Look no further than http://www.versagripps.com/?area=VersaGripps

http://www.versagripps.com/admin/assets/SeriesBlackBarThisOne300_F.jpg

Just noticed I'm actually using them in my avatar pic..!

Kraken
01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I havent used straps in many years. There is nothing that I can't grip these days. It would be easy for me to say "Don't use straps because you sould have a strong grip", but I shouldnt. If it's effecting your back workouts so much that your back is suffering, then I think you should use them.

That said, don't depend on them for everything. Do all warm ups witout them, and as many lifts as possible. Switch to reverse curls for a while, and do a couple exercises that will help. Just be careful, it's not hard to injure yourself doing gripper exercises, just do more exercises that require you to hold the weight.

On a final note, don't get too frustrated with it. It will come with time. Hell, look for the female Oly bars in the gym if you can too. They have slightly smaller diameters and will be easier to grip.

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerlifting? Use chalk and a mixed grip. Do auxillary grip work.

Bodybuilding? Use either straps or the versa grips that Yak posted about ^^^^ above. Don't use them until the next set after your grip begins to fail; that way your grip will still get stronger over time.

Don't allow your grip to dictate how thoroughly you're able to work your back.

zedx
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the links and tips. To be honest I would feel weird wearing them glove hook things.

I can't do the mixed grip. I started that way and swear my bicep hurt for weeks and weeks. I then looked up videos and found you can pull bicep deadlifting. It immediately made me decide to stop doing mixed grip. Pulling one off the bone makes me want to puke even thinking about it so I will never do it.

But thanks

edit: i just watched a video on the versa grips and they actually dont look too bad.

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
I can't do the mixed grip. I started that way and swear my bicep hurt for weeks and weeks.

If it hurts, don't do it.

Get yourself a pair of cheap cloth straps, and use them with a regular, double-overhand grip. I think bbdotcom sells them for about $4, and will give you a pair for free with a supp order if you ask.

hazto
01-27-2012, 04:10 AM
What Ironwill stated, cheap straps for 4 bucks but if cost is not a factor then go with the Versa Grips Pro's that Yakabebe suggested, I use them on my 3rd and 4th sets of DL when my grip is limiting my rep range and also on rows. Good luck.

freebirdmac
01-27-2012, 04:13 AM

Just noticed I'm actually using them in my avatar pic..!

Highly rated! Get the pro's

yakabebe
01-27-2012, 04:37 AM
If it hurts, don't do it.

Get yourself a pair of cheap cloth straps, and use them with a regular, double-overhand grip. I think bbdotcom sells them for about $4, and will give you a pair for free with a supp order if you ask.

Gday buddy!!!

About straps...I find with the heavier and heavier loads the straps really do dig into my ulnar nerve and casues all sorts of problems.

The VG Pro with the longer tongue (seriously..;) is the real deal as it does go right around an Olympic bar

I also find them useful for dumbbell work ie flys and even curls as the weight feels like absolutely part of my hand and getting "the hook" feeling to work certain muscles is the go.

FWIW

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Gday buddy!!!

About straps...I find with the heavier and heavier loads the straps really do dig into my ulnar nerve and casues all sorts of problems.

What's up, Yak!

I've not had that particular problem when using straps, but I do occasionally get some minor bruising around my wrists when strapped to a heavy (for me) bar.

bigtallox
01-27-2012, 08:05 AM
I got small hands, like female small hands. I just deadlifted 295 and the bar almost slipped out of my right hand and I am right handed.

It's obvious that I have some weakness in my grip. But should I continue to keep doing them without straps to strengthen my grip or should I just start using the straps now? because I think my body can pull more weight although probably not a lot more. I would guess i can do 315 but i don't think my grip will.

Avoid the straps unless you're competing and they're allowed. When I first started deadlifting I couldn't hold on to 315 very good either. But last night I pulled 500, no straps, no wraps, no belt, no suit, nothing completely raw ( and I have quite a bit more in the tank )...

5fxRFoVkj0o

If you take the time to strengthen your grip, you won't regret it, it doesn't need to inhibit your back development, they go hand in hand, ignore one and you're essentially ignoring the other.

Good luck.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 08:16 AM
It's up to you, really. I have used straps in the past on lots of exercises but now I don't use them on any. I just use chalk. Personal preference.

Only thing I will say is if you do get straps forget cotton or nylon and go leather; unless you lose them they will be the last set you ever buy and they never slip. Suede side on the bar and smooth side up.

bigtallox
01-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I can't do the mixed grip. I started that way and swear my bicep hurt for weeks and weeks. I then looked up videos and found you can pull bicep deadlifting. It immediately made me decide to stop doing mixed grip.

That's right, pulling mixed grip puts the one bicep at risk. I don't pull mixed grip anymore, if I happen to do a powerlifting meet again in the future, I'll pull double overhand.

edit: i just watched a video on the versa grips and they actually dont look too bad.

Yeah, they must have some good advertisments, I saw several people using them in the fitness center last night. Weird that people acutally use them even when they're training with tinny little dumbbells. Makes me wonder if they have to use them when they're carrying groceries into the house and stuff like that too. Oh well, to each their own.

Good luck.

freebirdmac
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
T
Yeah, they must have some good advertisments, I saw several people using them in the fitness center last night. Weird that people acutally use them even when they're training with tinny little dumbbells. Makes me wonder if they have to use them when they're carrying groceries into the house and stuff like that too. Oh well, to each their own.

Good luck.

Some people focus on the primary muscles being targeted, some have arthritic hands or carpal tunnel or wrist issues... lots of reasons. No need to patronize with snide remarks.

bbsitum
01-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I start use straps recently. Only my complain is why I didn't do it before. Rowing without straps give me tennis elbow. And never ever after I was 19 years old I didn't feel pain in back muscle after work out till I start use straps past month. Accurse I can lift like 25% more weight. My problem is like OP 7" around wrist but 22.5-23 shoulder end to shoulder end. In my back is serious amount of muscle for my wrist and wrist can't handle it.

Oceanside
01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
But last night I pulled 500, no straps, no wraps, no belt, no suit, nothing completely raw ( and I have quite a bit more in the tank )...

5fxRFoVkj0o

Good luck.

wheres the other 8 or 9 reps with that 500 ?

you're big dude BTO,you really should work on capitalizing on it instead of just trying to impress people half your size :)

bbsitum
01-27-2012, 09:27 AM

you're big dude BTO,you really should work on capitalizing on it instead of just trying to impress people half your size :)

As I know he is in Strongmen. What else he can do? Late for football and UFC.

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Straps user for years here! Recently switched to versa gripps and love them. That said, $4 straps are just fine.

As some have mentioned....if you are a powerlifter, no straps.....bodybuilder straps are fine, and actually better sometimes. I find when working back, I can get a better feel when using straps and letting my grip relax a bit. This is especially true for pull ups for me.

A while back I switched back to mixed grip for a while and I did not like it. Besides the risk of injury to the bicep, I really dont care if someone calls me a puss for using them. In the end, I feel the movement better and it allows me to lift more weight without worries of grip. For me, deadlifts are a back movement, not a test of grip strength.

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Good luck.

When I'm doing higher reps with lighter weight especially on lat pull downs the straps are a huge help.
Even though the weight isn't heavy to some... It's just another GREAT tool for bodybuilders.

What this guy said times a million. I'll dead twice my weight for 6-8 times 10+ with straps and belt. Doing less than twice bodyweight for ONLY one rep is well..... not that strong if you ask me.

bbsitum
01-27-2012, 10:23 AM
When I'm doing higher reps with lighter weight especially on lat pull downs the straps are a huge help.
Even though the weight isn't heavy to some... It's just another GREAT tool for bodybuilders.

What this guy said times a million. I'll dead twice my weight for 6-8 times 10+ with straps and belt. Doing less than twice bodyweight for ONLY one rep is well..... not that strong if you ask me.

You miss something - work performed. He is a lot taller and much more work he need to do then you for same weight - pure physic.

InExileVt
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I started using straps years ago as I found my grip limiting back progress on deads, rows, and shrugs. While I made gains it was to the detriment of my grip strength. Now I train grip a couple times per week and try to avoid using straps for the back movement until necessary. Don't let your grip strength slip.

Getsum
01-27-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm personally trying to move away from straps but I still use them on higher rep stuff. Chalk has made a world of difference on my grip strength for heavier singles.

Lots of people love those Versa Gripps and I'd like to get a pair at some point.

GnomusMaximus
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I have similar hand issues. I often struggle with things like farmers walks and axle (2" bar) Deadlifts. I have worked REALLY hard on my grip and it is sarting to pay off. In a recent contest I did a 400lbs axle DL and a farmers walk at 230/hand. Both without straps and a bodyweight of 198. Here are some tips for us little hand guys. Make sure you gooseneck your wrists a little on DL's, it forces more of the weight into the meat of your hand. Do your work sets without straps, it builds that grip then put them on to do a few singles at like 95% or so. Buy some grippers, good ones. www.ironmind.com sells the best but GNC and some other places sell them as well. Work them until it hurts....badly. If you buy straps buy good ones. I use the ones from ironmind or apt. The apt's are a bit more comfy but too short for a fat bar. Do farmers walks, do farmers walks, in case I didn't say it enough....do farmers walks. You don't need to buy farmers walk implements (but they are cool)use DB's or you can even fill gas cans up with sand, and walk or time hold them if you don't have room.
To me it is important to treat grip almost like a lift (or bodypart for you bb type guys)

Here's the farmers ( I was toast with the heavier ones)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ld-MWnUQw&list=UUja9OI2oyq7wX8yonOXxUNg&index=25&feature=plcp

Axle DL(shoulda saved a lift for 420...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1f-j45eMg&list=UUja9OI2oyq7wX8yonOXxUNg&index=10&feature=plcp

You can see where I lost the grip, but it was after i got the down signal, that's why i was looking up desperately at the judge.

and last week just goofing around 220 for 1 hand kettleball DL's ( I was "celebrating' 5 years survival after having a brain hemmorhage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd-wurjb9Uw

Tifflex
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Your tinny could be someone else's max or perhaps the other person chooses to compensate for a weak grip by using straps. Some could say the your 500lb deadlift is tiny for a person of your size.

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
You miss something - work performed. He is a lot taller and much more work he need to do then you for same weight - pure physic.

You mean pure bullshyt, right?!

Getsum
01-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

bodyhard
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Avoid the straps unless you're competing and they're allowed. When I first started deadlifting I couldn't hold on to 315 very good either. But last night I pulled 500, no straps, no wraps, no belt, no suit, nothing completely raw ( and I have quite a bit more in the tank )...

5fxRFoVkj0o

If you take the time to strengthen your grip, you won't regret it, it doesn't need to inhibit your back development, they go hand in hand, ignore one and you're essentially ignoring the other.

Good luck.

LMFAO All of that for a 500lbs deadlift??? :rolleyes: You have to be sh!tt!ng me

MontyMagpie
01-27-2012, 11:14 AM

If you continue with straps you will always have that weakness in your grip. 295lbs isn't that much you know.

TenThreeFive
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM

5fxRFoVkj0o

Good luck.This is 1.44 X bodyweight. Would this be the same as me deadlifting 260? Not sure if it works like this just wondering.

flat6nut
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow! I am not getting into this debate again. Done trying to help people with thick heads.

....but I can deadlift 500+ and I am a little people.

nixter
01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
This is 1.44 X bodyweight. Would this be the same as me deadlifting 260? Not sure if it works like this just wondering.

No, it's doesn't. In most cases, being tall is a huge mechanical disadvantage.

Regarding the Versa gripps.. will they work for the thin wristed? I read a review where one person couldn't get them tight enough. I have TINY wrists. I can completely cover the nail of my middle finger with my thumb when grabbing my wrist.

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
No, it's doesn't. In most cases, being tall is a huge mechanical disadvantage.

Regarding the Versa gripps.. will they work for the thin wristed? I read a review where one person couldn't get them tight enough. I have TINY wrists. I can completely cover the nail of my middle finger with my thumb when grabbing my wrist.

I have 7" wrists and they work great. They are not meant to be wrenched down tight. They form a nice girdle which distributes the weight around the whole fist area. Putting them on tight would be worse. I used to suffer from straps on heavy deadlifts where I would bust a bunch of blood vessels in the backs of my hands on heavy lifts. (400-500 range). The way the versa grips distribute the weight has totally eliminated this and is also more wrist friendly.

I resisted buying them for some time and finally did it after seeing all the positive reviews by people that I knew really lifted. I now would buy them again with a thought. Expensive....but good. When you use them almost every workout....they are well worth it.

nixter
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I have 7" wrists and they work great. They are not meant to be wrenched down tight. They form a nice girdle which distributes the weight around the whole fist area. Putting them on tight would be worse. I used to suffer from straps on heavy deadlifts where I would bust a bunch of blood vessels in the backs of my hands on heavy lifts. (400-500 range). The way the versa grips distribute the weight has totally eliminated this and is also more wrist friendly.

I resisted buying them for some time and finally did it after seeing all the positive reviews by people that I knew really lifted. I now would buy them again with a thought. Expensive....but good. When you use them almost every workout....they are well worth it.

Thanks, I see they come in various sizes. What did you get?

Just measured my wrists, also 7", but I'm 6'4 :/

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

I'll look it up.... I got the "pro" version and think I ordered the large. I'll search my email for the invoice.

Dont fret on the small wrists...It is a desirable thing from a bodybuilding standpoint....They make your arms and forearms look bigger!.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/induced_drag/12-4-1-2.jpg

freebirdmac
01-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I do deadlifts to improve my grip strength. Which is so important when building a bodybuilding physique.

:rolleyes:

nixter
01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I'll look it up.... I got the "pro" version and think I ordered the large. I'll search my email for the invoice.

Dont fret on the small wrists...It is a desirable thing from a bodybuilding standpoint....They make your arms and forearms look bigger!.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/induced_drag/12-4-1-2.jpg

Ugh, they want $20 to ship to Canada. No thanks. :(

yakabebe
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
My only other contribution as to the merits of VG or straps comes from a strictly BB perspective

One thing for sure....many people who are confused as to what they are setting out to do in the gym fail - almost all the time and maybe inevitably - by focusing on the weight being moved RATHER than the muscle being used.

As a BB my aim is dead-set the latter...no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Anf FOR SURE the grips allow me to really focus on the mind-body connect and make sure I get what I set out to.

To each his own, I guess.

Having said all that I got to say in comparison to many here...I'm a weakling! My biggest squat - around 350. But when doing that I might do 4 or 5 sets of 10 reps

Deadlifts? Maybe 380-400 but again sets with 8-10 reps.

And its here the grips really assist as they grip per se would fail far earlier.

And yet the muscular development achieved I feel is spot on and I believe a function of the approach to working the muscle and really forgetting about the weight

MontyMagpie
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oazACQJiOU4/TV2ntY9ONuI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/M_EzJ1uRr8M/s1600/1201683630_lpl1.jpg

flat6nut
01-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I have been using Versa Gripps for 2 years now...maybe thats why my back is lacking. rollseyes

chodan9
01-27-2012, 05:33 PM
versa gripps are great, and as far as I know they do very little advertising, almost all by word of mouth.

I let a guy use mine today, we were showing him some curls and light deads, but the guy had had surgery on both wrists. the versa grips were ideal for him.
on the curl especially they locked his hands and wrist into a straight position and allowed him to focus on his form and not the pain in his wrist.

Iceman1800
01-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Just noticed I'm actually using them in my avatar pic..!I got a pair of these and love them

zedx
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Okay I digested all this.

I think I'll buy the pro versa grips. Why? So I know what it's like to use them and feel first hand the support I get from them. I'll obviously try them right aways but I think I will keep pressing forward without them to see if my grip fails and at least drop the bar one day. And then try the same weight with the grips to see what happens.

On the other side of the coin I gather I need to keep progressing my hand strength and don't assume I have a weak-forever grip. Those hand grips that were posted look pretty cool. Farmer walk? I don't know if i was to walk around the gym like that. I can see myself maybe hold them walking in a small area of the gym I guess.

I'm going to do what I got to do to get this job done.

Thanks for the comments. I didn't like the comments directed at bigtall. I think he made a little joke about the straps just cause he is a big dude, kinda like a big dude joke with no harm intended. And i think he is doing what he can do for a man his age and size. Everyone is different. Look at me, here I am doing 300 at 210lbs body weight and guys 170lbs or less can double what i do.

BrotherWolf
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM

dammit I am 5'7" and my wrists are 7" and change

"Goddammit I am not fat I am big boned"

BrotherWolf
01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Ugh, they want $20 to ship to Canada. No thanks. :(

I saw them in Toronto I don't remember the name of the store but it's one of those big sporting goods chain stores

BrotherWolf
01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Okay I digested all this.

I think I'll buy the pro versa grips.

I would try chalk first normally the DL will go up and the grip will follow , however like some have already said, when you do high reps... for me is rows, rack pulls etc.. straps are useful
also if you have tendinitis or other injuries in the area

use them but don't rely on them all the times, try and use them only after you fail .

You wanna work your back thats great but the DL also works your forearms and a strong forearm is better than a weak one

OutOfStep
01-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I've got a pair of Versagrip Pros size large that I recently bought and wore twice. They weren't for me, but many others swear by them. If anyone is interested in picking up a pair of these PM me an offer.

BTO, nice lift man. We used to have a cat who posted in here who would put up videos of him hitting that lift all the time. Skinny little fella. Was about 5'8" and 165 lbs if I remember right. He even used to wear these phaggoty little sandles or whatever they were while he did them. Pretty strong for one of those swimmer-type builds though. But anyway yeah, nice lift. :)

boathead
01-28-2012, 02:52 AM
a little late to the party, but a few thoughts:

with a mixed grip, the stress on the bicep on the supinated hand generally seems to be due to some bending at the elbow, sort of curling the deadlift. it takes some practice to get the arms fully straight.

lift what you can without the grips. then and only then, throw the grips on. seems the best of both worlds. i don't really have trouble with my grip anymore, but i don't really like the pain in my hands anymore as the weight gets up there. so i throw the straps on if i'm going for anything more than 3 reps.

ntrllftr
01-28-2012, 05:28 AM
I've got a pair of Versagrip Pros size large that I recently bought and wore twice. They weren't for me, but many others swear by them. If anyone is interested in picking up a pair of these PM me an offer.

BTO, nice lift man. We used to have a cat who posted in here who would put up videos of him hitting that lift all the time. Skinny little fella. Was about 5'8" and 165 lbs if I remember right. He even used to wear these phaggoty little sandles or whatever they were while he did them. Pretty strong for one of those swimmer-type builds though. But anyway yeah, nice lift. :)

Maybe if you included a :majorfukcingfacepalm: in there more people would know who yer talkin bout.
Meh, life goes on. ;)

dammit I am 5'7" and my wrists are 7" and change

"Goddammit I am not fat I am big boned"

Nope! You're still fat!

:p
<<<<< runs outta thread >>>>>>>>>>>>

LWW
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
The mentioning of thinner bars is actually a very good way of strengthening the grip along with working the forearm "belly" (important for the bodybuilder).

For me getting the most out of a higher rep set of deads (romanian, stiff-leg) I don't (wouldn't) use straps, meaning I work the forearms and back all at once (no wasting time) and we can get to that point where the hands and body are equally tired/worked.

grippers and thickbars are fun, and add a new level of devolpment, but very little attention is needed, and using these things just a few times bring quick and long term results.

gripping on a high rep deadlift (on a thinner bar) is all thats really needed, even better for the hands the size of an "OX" as this strengthens the "closing" portion of the ROM. (using a 1"dia. bar).

also this is a pretty serious place, I've read-up on and meet enough serious people, and have seen more than enough cases of strengthening the hands damn near cures arthritus.

LWW
03-06-2012, 03:21 AM
after another view here, I can understand most who use straps, since the OP has issues with a mixed grip, I personally don't have this problem, a trapbar or a pair of dumbells (or tri-bars) is another way.

I noticed the "OX" used a double overhand grip on that 500, I can't tell if it's a "hookgrip" or not, eithier way I'd think we'd never be able to get the most of ours backs using a pure double overhand grip or "hookgrip" (hookgrip due the smashing of the thumbs.

I can't stress enough though, what training the "whole" body can do for grip, higher rep squats, and deadlifts are a good one, (deads- trapbar, or mixed grip for over 20reps safer for the bicep, until the strength is built)

zedx
03-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Since this thread was just bumped I'll ad this..

Last night I pulled up 305lbs. And this time it didn't almost fall out of my hands. I did feel it slowly starting to open my hands though but at any time I didn't think it was going to fall.

Since I made this post I practiced holding this kind of weight from waist high off the squat rack. I have held off of the grips for right now because i want to see if my grip toughens up. I don't want to throw in the towel just yet.

DubfromGA
03-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Awesome lift, BTO. Much respect.

I wish I could rewind to early last December and adopted the use of Versagripps then. I strongly believe that i would have prevented the right wrist injury that still hasn't healed. I was hoping it would heal while I recovered from the hernia surgery. It doesn't appear to be doing so. Looks like more medical bills are ahead.....