PDA

View Full Version : planet fitness

Indy_Jeff32
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Does anyone here lift at Planet Fitness?

mslman71
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
in 1rd

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 07:41 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/williron08/newhere.jpg

MecGen
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
3rd

Tifflex
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
This guy used to train there but was banned for quarter squatting 500lbs in the Smith machine;):D.

PQ6OrO1f610

Vanguard1965
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I love this!

qBRG4RkE51Q

criticallymass
01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
OMG no grunting.... thats retarded. I am pissed off after watching that vid.
srs

Pike717
01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Does anyone here lift at Planet Fitness?

I joined there 2 months ago.

acrawlingchaos
01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
First page!!!!

acrawlingchaos
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I joined there 2 months ago.Sorry to hear that brojephus.

pvsampson
01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I am in Australia, but I thought that lifting wasn't allowed at Planet Fitness!!

Pike717
01-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear that brojephus.

d.h. I really dont care! I have a full gym in my house but its nice to have a change of scenery once in a while and Planet Fitness is like 3 minutes from my house. I also spend alot of time at my house in Fl. and my property in OH. and there is a PF. near both and for $20 a month I have
Access to a gym regardless of what state im in. Pike

DSUP
01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Fp5_e5aPqUY/SVkWA1zJUbI/AAAAAAAAG-4/mKu3y1vyEbY/s400/deadhorse2.jpg

acrawlingchaos
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
DSUP, if we stopped discussin things that were already discussed... we probably wouldn't have a whole lot to discuss.

Pike717
01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
I am in Australia, but I thought that lifting wasn't allowed at Planet Fitness!!
Yes lifting is permitted at PF. And atleast at mine there is just as many hard core bb.ers as there is at any other gym. But the York PA. PF. Might be the exception to the rule. Pike

acrawlingchaos
01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes lifting is permitted at PF. And atleast at mine there is just as many hard core bb.ers as there is at any other gym. But the York PA. PF. Might be the exception to the rule. Pike

If it meets your needs, than awesome. That facility would not meet my requirements.

zanak74
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I lift things up and put them down.

pvsampson
01-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I lift things up and put them down.

Was waiting for it!

Pike717
01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
If it meets your needs, than awesome. That facility would not meet my requirements. the only thing I wish they had is heavier dumbells I can make due with everything else. But like I said the main reason I joined was to have access when im not home. But this thread has made me realize somthing, the hardcore gyms here in the birthplace of bbing in the US. are gone which is sad. Within 10 minutes of my home there is 2 Planet Fitness locations, 2 Golds Gyms, 2 YMCA's, 2 Curves , a LA. Fitness, a Sctrictly Fitness And a 24 Hour Fitness. But the hard core gyms have gone extinct. Alot has changed in my 7 year absence from weight lifting. Pike

acrawlingchaos
01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I just don't want to have to "make due". The gyms where I am haven't changed, the YMCA was always a great place to lift, and even at my gym, Gold LA Fitness.. you can;

. use Valsalva maneuver

. drop heavy sh*t on the floor

. deadlift

. squat

. bench

(without a smith machine.)

Again, it just doesn't meet my needs. As far as I am concerned, a gym that limits the above is useless. PF is a step up from Curves at least.

Pike717
01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I just don't want to have to "make due". The gyms where I am haven't changed, the YMCA was always a great place to lift, and even at my gym, Gold LA Fitness.. you can;

. use Valsalva maneuver

. drop heavy sh*t on the floor

. deadlift

. squat

. bench

(without a smith machine.)

Again, it just doesn't meet my needs. As far as I am concerned, a gym that limits the above is useless. PF is a step up from Curves at least.
Thats why I have my own gym in my house. Buying equipment
on craigslist is almost as addictive as lifting. Pike

Karl_Hungus
01-27-2012, 12:01 AM
the only thing I wish they had is heavier dumbells I can make due with everything else. But like I said the main reason I joined was to have access when im not home. But this thread has made me realize somthing, the hardcore gyms here in the birthplace of bbing in the US. are gone which is sad. Within 10 minutes of my home there is 2 Planet Fitness locations, 2 Golds Gyms, 2 YMCA's, 2 Curves , a LA. Fitness, a Sctrictly Fitness And a 24 Hour Fitness. But the hard core gyms have gone extinct. Alot has changed in my 7 year absence from weight lifting. Pike

This month, I had to join a gym for the first time in a long time (I'd always worked out at pretty decent university gyms prior), and I can tell you that it is a sad state of affairs. I looked at all three gyms in my immediate area, and they had a crapload of cardio equipment and acres of various machines and contraptions .... but the free weight areas sucked. At one gym, a lady was giving me a tour and I asked her if they had a power rack, because I use a power rack nearly every work out. Her response? "What is a power rack?" I couldn't friggin' believe it.

I finally settled on a 24 hour fitness because they had ONE power rack (amidst a giant facility). But, no moveable flat benches (they are bolted to the floor for gods sake)... the moveable inclines are too high to use as flat benches in the power rack, the lowest pin setting on the power rack is to the top of my knee, there is only one pullup station .... The "olympic bars" are weird, with the rings abnormally close together, there is only one squat rack, the DB's are coated with some strange slippery plastic sh!t making them impossible to use for weighted pullups. The benches are also coated with the same slippery plastic meaning that when I use leg drive on the bench, I actually slide backward rather driving my upper back/traps into the bench. That is lots of fun when benching heavy weight. The only good thing about the gym is the hours.

I used to think that people were just trying to sound hardcore when bitching about the state of most commercial gyms .... but now I know .... and do I ever.

StressMonkey
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I used to think that people were just trying to sound hardcore when bitching about the state of most commercial gyms .... but now I know .... and do I ever.

Wait until they start playing Justin Beiber when you're trying to gear up for a squat session.

Karl_Hungus
01-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Wait until they start playing Justin Beiber when you're trying to gear up for a squat session.

Sh!t....my old gym's music was worse. They actually played "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" while I was trying to get psyched up for a heavy squat set (no joke!) ...lol.

zanak74
01-27-2012, 12:46 AM
That why I bring my own music to the gym. Rage against the machine really gets me psyched and crazy enough to lift the whole gym.

acrawlingchaos
01-27-2012, 12:48 AM
They could have ABBA playing in the background and I wouldn't know it. I don't really hear anything when I lift.

IronCharles
01-27-2012, 01:06 AM
It's not 'r**d rage, it's working out with purple equipment and lunk alarm rage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJTXDppVNA

Oh, and 27rd!

PopeGregorius
01-27-2012, 02:21 AM
That why I bring my own music to the gym. Rage against the matching really gets me psyched and crazy enough to lift the whole gym.
George Mason Uni seems crazy playing it (see the crazy band conductor at the end_.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMbRRGuhO0

NorwichGrad
01-27-2012, 04:53 AM
I joined there 2 months ago.

There's PF in YORK, Pennsylvania? Where American Olympic Weightlifting has strong roots? Where 'manly' companies like York Barbell and Harley Davidson are located? Sorry to hear. If Bob Hoffman was alive, he would not be happy knowing his town's level of 'hardcoreness' has been 'pansified' by PF.

(I'm only kidding, of course. But I don't really care for PF's culture.)

bigt405
01-27-2012, 05:26 AM
No but I know alot of people that have been asked not to come back. :)

beachguy498
01-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Me and my wife belonged to a PF for a year and we looked at a few in the area, all of them are set up a little differently. More smith machines, some equipment others didn't have, etc. I did see more of the more dedicated lifters there on the non-peak hours.

Rob

Indy_Jeff32
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I joined PF back in november.prior to that i lifted at cardinal fitness.I miss the use of free weights and hammer strength machines.PF is not the best place to lift.But its 2 min from my place.and super cheap also.It gets the job done for me.So im happy.

mslman71
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Sh!t....my old gym's music was worse. They actually played "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" while I was trying to get psyched up for a heavy squat set (no joke!) ...lol.

I think I mentioned this before, but "Dog and a Butterfly" by Heart came on at my last gym (YMCA) and I promptly walked to the front desk and cancelled my membership. That wasn't the only thing about the Y that ticked me off but it was the last thing.

zanak74
01-27-2012, 08:12 AM
This guy used to train there but was banned for quarter squatting 500lbs in the Smith machine;):D.

PQ6OrO1f610
Screw planet fitness.

Jimbo48
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I deadlift with chalk and do power cleans in addition to squatting at the Planet Fitness I belong to. The best part is that I can spend an hour using the squat rack and nobody else will want to use it.

mixbwoy
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
George Mason Uni seems crazy playing it (see the crazy band conductor at the end_.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMbRRGuhO0

Love Rage! That was awesome! Repped.

BTW, I work out @ PF. Can't beat $10 a month. Never heard the lunk alarm once. I think the atmosphere depends on where the PF is located.