PDA

View Full Version : Lifting belt question

50wyldeman
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey all serious Noob here, my question is in regards to a lifting belt.
When do you feel its a must have , currently my deadlift is over my body weight and after my last workout I felt it in my back for the first time . I had been hoping to be farther along on the weight loss part of this adventure before investing in one but am now wondering if I NEED one?
I have a long way to go and do not want to injure myself but my trainer hasn't TOLD me I need one yet so should i be ok?

FWIW I weigh 335, my deadlift max is a bit over that (365)

I looked in the store here and didn't find a belt my Size other than the Schiek?

Thanks

chodan9
01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
just curious
what size are you looking for?
I got a smallish one and it was 70 bucks or something like that.

50wyldeman
01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Chodan:
Sadly I need a xxl or bigger it would appear, I measured my waist and its 53" I think I could get away with a 50" belt though, do you think I should be using a belt? Thanks for the reply!!

DocTats
01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
You're probably going to get a few different opinions so my advice is since you feel that you might need one, might as well get one. I was going to link you to a site called Best Belts but sadly, the site is either down or out of business (hope not). I got a new belt from them last summer, a single prong 10 mm Athlete's Belt that was broken in....awesome. I previously had a 13 mm double prong belt that I bought in 1993 and that was a pain to break in and even when it did, hard to take off. But with this belt, only took a couple of sessions to break in. What was (is) good about Best Belts is that they custom make their belts and they will make one to your exact size.

From research I did, other good reputable belt companies are Inzer, Bob's Belts, Cardillo, APT,Titan to name a few.

edited to add...get a powerlifting belt that is 4 inches all the way around...I've had a few belts and they do make a difference

DocTats
01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Checked around, thankfully they are still in business according to this thread

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139000403&page=1

Anyway, since the belts are custom made, I think they can make the belt to your current size and also punch a few more holes to accommodate any expected future weight loss and subsequent waist shrinkage better than other belt companies that may have preset sizes (although probably not too hard to punch your own hole)

crupiea
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
its really up to you if you want a belt or not. The way they work is not to directly support your back.

Try this. Hold one hand on your belly and take a deep breath into your belly like before a heavy lift. Now push your belly against your hand. You can feel your abs and obvioulsy everything inside is nice and tight.

The belt acts like your hand in this instance. It just provides some back pressure for you. This internal pressure will keep everything nice and tight for the lift.

If you feel this will benefit you then buy one.

I bought one from atp a few years back and the sizing was very accurate.

pvsampson
01-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Some good advice here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108908741&highlight=belts

DocTats
01-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Since the OP seems like he may be new to belts, want to make sure he understands that the size of the lifting belt doesn't necessarily correlate with the waist size of your pants. It may be bigger or smaller depending on the build. You should measure around your navel, not your hip.

Don't want to sound like a shill for Best Belts because I don't even know the guy (other than a pleasant e-mail exchange with his wife) but given that you want to lose weight, one option is to ask him if he can make the belt so that the first hole will be pretty close to your size. That way, it may motivate you to at least not put on weight since then you won't be able to use the belt. I measured my belt and the length between the first hole and last hole is 9 inches so that'll give you plenty of room to lose. Plus from what I recall from other people who have bought from him, he will make as many hole as possible if you request it. I bought their least expensive belt (was about $60), got it in less than a week and shipping was free as well.

Gotta support the small business in America....

50wyldeman
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Thank you all very much The thread was a great read . I will e-mail best belts and see if he is still making them !!

BrotherWolf
01-27-2012, 10:01 AM
you don't really need one

Getsum
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Hey all serious Noob here, my question is in regards to a lifting belt.
When do you feel its a must have , currently my deadlift is over my body weight and after my last workout I felt it in my back for the first time . I had been hoping to be farther along on the weight loss part of this adventure before investing in one but am now wondering if I NEED one?
I have a long way to go and do not want to injure myself but my trainer hasn't TOLD me I need one yet so should i be ok?

FWIW I weigh 335, my deadlift max is a bit over that (365)

I looked in the store here and didn't find a belt my Size other than the Schiek?

Thanks

I got an Inzer Lever Belt for Christmas and really love the thing. Top quality, adjustable and it'll last a lifetime for $67. They carry your size.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_LEVER_10MM

Good luck.

chodan9
01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Chodan:
Sadly I need a xxl or bigger it would appear, I measured my waist and its 53" I think I could get away with a 50" belt though, do you think I should be using a belt? Thanks for the reply!!
I take it by spells
sometimes I wear them, but when I am feeling strong I dont use them.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
I got an Inzer Lever Belt for Christmas and really love the thing.

Me too! Imagine that! :)

I love mine. Thanks again Flint; you're a real good guy.

Kodokan
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I have an Inzer forever belt and love it...but yet only for squats and overhead press. I feel like I can't set my back correctly for deadlifts while wearing it, and in fact I think based on what I feel position wise it'd be a hazard to wear it for deadlifts.

I think it makes a huge difference for squats, like about 30-40 pounds, for me. I've had back problems before, and after healing up I decided it was time to wear it on top sets. For deadlifts though, I'd still say wear it only if you can still set your back flat or with a hollow arch while wearing it.

cmoore
01-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Where in your back did you feel it? Belts can be great but are no substitute for proper form.

I haven't used a belt in years but when I did I liked it. For me I think it mostly gave me feedback to remind me to keep my core tight. I weaned off it (and straps) several years ago as i got tired of "needing" stuff. Ive done pretty well without one ever since but I'm a lot smaller now too and don't jack the same kind of weight around these days as I did back then fwiw.

drudixon
01-28-2012, 05:07 AM
For my skill level, if I have to wear a belt to lift it, then I shouldn't lift it. Lower back, abs, grip are all things that have to grow in unison with the lift or things get out of whack. Of course I'm not pulling 500 lbs either, so I can't speak for the upper echelon of lifters.

jdtemple
01-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Love my Inzer Forever Lever belt. It's like wearing a piece of pipe around your waist. I use mine for deads and squats.