PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure?

smokinal
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok, I'll try to keep it quick...I usually have perfect bp, around 120/75. I recently started a test booster and I could literally feel my pressure is up. I checked it and its 130/76 and 134/77 during the day. 1 hr after taking my night booster its 154/78.
First, is 154/78 too high?
2nd, what would be "normal" during a heavy lifting session? Meaning, if it was 120/80 at rest but went up to 160/100 during a lift, should I be worried about the 154/78?
Idk, you know what I mean...I'm confused. I don't want to stop the booster but I will if it puts me at an unsafe state.

Oh, and I don't want to name the product because maybe it's just me and I don't want to badmouth a product without more knowledge. Do all test boosters raise bp?

rand18m
01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
[
2nd, what would be "normal" during a heavy lifting session? Meaning, if it was 120/80 at rest but went up to 160/100 during a lift, should I be worried about the 154/78?

Blood pressures during lifting, in competitive Olympic type lifters, have been measured as high as 320/280 and some such crazy numbers. The pressures are high but acute and cause positive adaptations to the heart muscle.

Why are you measuring your blood pressure during lifting, also how are you doing that? I think you are taking this a bit too serious. Keep track of your pressures periodically, such as in the morning when you get up, before being stimulated, then take those numbers to your doctor. You aren't getting any younger!

induced_drag
01-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Are you measuring at home? In order to get accurate readings, it must be done seated and relaxed with the arm supported.

I agree....measuring while working out is of little value.

What is the testbooster that you are taking? Are you using any stimulant type supplements? (pre-workouts etc)

smokinal
01-27-2012, 03:37 AM
I am measuring at home with arm supported and relaxed. No stims.
I wasn't measuring while working out. What I was getting at is if my bp is very high for a couple of hrs at the gym, then I wouldnt be worried if its a little high for a couple of hrs after taking my booster. Just trying to justify to myself that my pressure is ok being 154/78 after taking this stuff.

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 05:01 AM
What are you taking?

BillReilly
01-27-2012, 05:15 AM
I am measuring at home with arm supported and relaxed. No stims.
I wasn't measuring while working out. What I was getting at is if my bp is very high for a couple of hrs at the gym, then I wouldnt be worried if its a little high for a couple of hrs after taking my booster. Just trying to justify to myself that my pressure is ok being 154/78 after taking this stuff.

For starters, taking your BP while working out is of little value. What you should do, if you're curious, is take your heart rate. When you exercise, your heart rate goes up and your BP follows. If you're concerned, that's the place to start.

Second, this crap your taking is in all probability just a cheap stim to make you "feel good" for a while. You will not be the first guy suckered by OTC test boosters nor the last. I'm sure a bunch will pile in here swearing their magic pill works wonders. It's your choice to be a tool. I don't care. If you want to know if that stuff is spiking your BP, stop taking it for a week.

Third, measuring your BP should be a morning activity. Before anything else, take your BP and measure it for a week. 120/75 is not ideal by the way. That's the high normal. My BP, for example, is 100/65 and rises all the way up to 120/75 by the end of the day. 154/78 is, according to NIH (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp/), stage I hypertension. Take a week off the magic pill and take your BP every morning. If it remains elevated, go see the doctor.

smokinal
01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Take a week off the magic pill and take your BP every morning. If it remains elevated, go see the doctor.

This sounds like the most logical thing to do...thanks

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Take a week off the magic pill and take your BP every morning. If it remains elevated, go see the doctor.
Do ^^^^this.

One possible explanation of how a test 'booster' supp might raise your BP is that some supp companies will add a stimulant such as caffeine to many different products so that the customer will "feel something" when he uses the supp. None of these products (supplements) are regulated by FDA (not yet anyway, but I'll bet it's coming, and that's another story altogether), so there can be just about anything in there (or not in there) whether it's listed in the ingredients or not.

HoustonTXMuscle
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
For starters, taking your BP while working out is of little value. What you should do, if you're curious, is take your heart rate. When you exercise, your heart rate goes up and your BP follows. If you're concerned, that's the place to start.

Second, this crap your taking is in all probability just a cheap stim to make you "feel good" for a while. You will not be the first guy suckered by OTC test boosters nor the last. I'm sure a bunch will pile in here swearing their magic pill works wonders. It's your choice to be a tool. I don't care. If you want to know if that stuff is spiking your BP, stop taking it for a week.

Third, measuring your BP should be a morning activity. Before anything else, take your BP and measure it for a week. 120/75 is not ideal by the way. That's the high normal. My BP, for example, is 100/65 and rises all the way up to 120/75 by the end of the day. 154/78 is, according to NIH (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp/), stage I hypertension. Take a week off the magic pill and take your BP every morning. If it remains elevated, go see the doctor.

Good advice (on spread). From a physiologic standpoint, the human body needs more energy, whenever it uses oxygen to break down glucose and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Oxygen is being carried by your blood, so in general there is increased blood pressure whenever you do anything physically strenuous. Different kinds of exercises will have differing impacts on the blood pressure levels. Dynamic exercises such as jogging, running and swimming. rely heavily on energy derived from the body, and thus they challenge the heart and the blood vessels to come up with more blood to meet this energy need, which can be satisfied only through the oxygen carried in the blood. In general, these exercises are accompanied by a progressive increase in systolic pressure, while the diastolic pressure stays the same or may even dip slightly.

Wayne Evans
01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
OP....I'll throw out one comment. Are you taking your bp correctly as in keeping your arm at the same level as your heart (arm at 90 degrees from sitting position, so to speak) as opposed to letting you arm hang down? Just something to rule out provided I've understood you correctly. Carry on...

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
One other.....kinda crazy off the wall but possible comment. One common side effect when men begin supplementing testosterone by a Dr, is a spike in blood pressure. (even when levels are still boosted to 'normal' ranges.

This sometimes takes two or three weeks to settle down. Now it might be crazy to suggest that a natural booster could have the same effects, but if raising test a small amount by a Dr can do it, maybe a natural booster, with elevated levels will have the same effect??? I have no idea...just a crazy thought.

I too would be concerned if my blood pressure was up that high and would probably discontinue and see if that is what it is....but as others have said, take reading in AM and make sure you are taking it correctly.

smokinal
01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the advice...much appreciated. Just got back from a heavy leg day and tested at 128/77...pretty much my norm. I do think the booster boosted more than just my test (if even that at all) and I don't like the feeling.
I will prolly go back on in a week just to confirm that it is the supp thats raising it...then just stick with food.