PDA

View Full Version : 8 day workout split for a 49 year old

Brihosk
01-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey folks, New to the site this is my first post. My work schedule is crazy and I only have 40 min to hit the weights each morning. I am trying to get a full body workout each week but have had trouble doing everything in 7 days. For example, After heavy chest work such as bench or weighted dips it takes at least three days before I feel ready to hit triceps or delts. So, I have come up with a "3 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off" split that looks like this:

day 1; heavy chest workout
day 2; heavy back workout
day 3; heavy quad workout
day 4; off
day 5; delts & triceps
day 6; biceps, forearms & upper traps (shrugs)
day 7; calves, leg ext. & leg curls, abs
day 8; off

This gives me 3 full days rest between the heavy compound work and and the single muscle stuff like triceps.
Hope that this will work because it keeps the workouts short as time is a problem.
I am concerned that 7 days in between heavy workouts may be too much rest.
I would like opinions please! Thanks.

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Do you count the days off as the split? If so I do 5 days on 2 days off (7 day)

Brihosk
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you count the days off as the split? If so I do 5 days on 2 days off (7 day)

Yup. Trying to hit everything over 8 days with two days rest included.

MuscleTechMarc
01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey folks, New to the site this is my first post. My work schedule is crazy and I only have 40 min to hit the weights each morning. I am trying to get a full body workout each week but have had trouble doing everything in 7 days. For example, After heavy chest work such as bench or weighted dips it takes at least three days before I feel ready to hit triceps or delts. So, I have come up with a "3 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off" split that looks like this:

day 1; heavy chest workout
day 2; heavy back workout
day 3; heavy quad workout
day 4; off
day 5; delts & triceps
day 6; biceps, forearms & upper traps (shrugs)
day 7; calves, leg ext. & leg curls, abs
day 8; off

This gives me 3 full days rest between the heavy compound work and and the single muscle stuff like triceps.
Hope that this will work because it keeps the workouts short as time is a problem.
I am concerned that 7 days in between heavy workouts may be too much rest.

I like your split: For heavy days, focus on power movements like bench & squats, then for lighter days emphasize the smaller group with fly's or isolateral exercises...

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 01:02 PM

A couple of things:

What's your experience level?

What's your primary goal?

There may be a more efficient way to set up your training based on the answers to the above questions.

As far as what you posted, there's no 'magic' or any real requirement to get all your work in by the end of some arbitrary time period such as a 'week.' Your body doesn't know or care what day it is, only recovery and adaptation.

rand18m
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
A couple of things:

There may be a more efficient way to set up your training based on the answers to the above questions.

As far as what you posted, there's no 'magic' or any real requirement to get all your work in by the end of some arbitrary time period such as a 'week.' Your body doesn't know or care what day it is, only recovery and adaptation.

What the Willmister said^^^ perfect!

It looks like you have given it thought though and the routine would work fine.

Brihosk
01-28-2012, 09:40 PM
A couple of things:

Experience level is high (many years at the gym).
Goal is to gain strength and size.
Work schedule has changed forcing short workouts of 45 min max in and out.
Thanks.

mark74
01-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't like it. Overlapping effort without follow-up routines. I get a sense for what you're trying and I see value in it. Would not work for me. Hope it works for you :-)

Goot luck!

acrawlingchaos
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
BRIhosk, by experience.... what have you accomplished so far? What are your most notable lifts (squat, deadlift, bench). What is your composition like? Waist size?

cmoore
01-29-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't have anything to add ( sorry ) but I look forward to your updates. Subscribed

Jtbny
01-29-2012, 07:00 AM
I dont like the split but If I were forced to run this the only change that I would make is to split the "heavy back" and "heavy quad" days so they weren't back to back. I'd move the "heavy chest" to day 2. My lower back would not appreciate squatting the day after I deadlifted ;)

As for the time between heavy compounds 7 days in between isn't bad and some people do very well with that. I don't need that much recovery time and I don't have a time restriction so personally I don't run my split this way, but your best bet is to try it out for a good 6-8 weeks, then reevaluate based on results and tweak it from there.

Good luck!

ironwill2008
01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Experience level is high (many years at the gym).
Goal is to gain strength and size.
In that case, I couldn't offer any advice that would be more valuable to you than your own experience. If you feel what you listed is the best way for you to go, try it and log your results. The proof, as they say, is in th pudding.

2nd_chance
01-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Why don't you break up your heavy work a little more?