PDA

View Full Version : Creatine

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
I've just got 500g of Gold's gym Creatine.

How much do you take if you take it. Do you load up if so how much and how much time off it do you need? I've heard lots of different things. Do I just take it with water or protein powder or fruit juice?

rand18m
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I've just got 500g of Gold's gym Creatine.

How much do you take if you take it. Do you load up if so how much and how much time off it do you need? I've heard lots of different things. Do I just take it with water or protein powder or fruit juice?

You can mix it with whatever you prefer. If you are going to load then there should be instructions, if not take 20 grams a day, four different servings, for 5-7 days. Then ~3-5 grams a day. If you don't load then take 3-5 grams a day and you'll be saturated in roughly 3 weeks.

The idea of cycling on and off has been gone for a long time. It's up to you, but remember, if you are going to see any results from it then that would be over an extended period of time. If creatine helps you it does by giving you a bit more volume of work each workout. That adds up over time and typically can result in a bit more gain, you won't see some great difference anytime soon and may never know whether it worked our not. However the literature is very clear that this is one ergogenic aid that does work for many people, and it's cheap. Good luck!

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
You can mix it with whatever you prefer. If you are going to load then there should be instructions, if not take 20 grams a day, four different servings, for 5-7 days. Then ~3-5 grams a day. If you don't load then take 3-5 grams a day and you'll be saturated in roughly 3 weeks.

The idea of cycling on and off has been gone for a long time. It's up to you, but remember, if you are going to see any results from it then that would be over an extended period of time. If creatine helps you it does by giving you a bit more volume of work each workout. That adds up over time and typically can result in a bit more gain, you won't see some great difference anytime soon and may never know whether it worked our not. However the literature is very clear that this is one ergogenic aid that does work for many people, and it's cheap. Good luck!

The only instructions were take 5g a day, the scoop they give has 5ml on it, when loaded up it only weighs 3g on the scale nothing about loading or cycling. I heard about cycling and loading but as you say they are not needed now. Thanks a lot.

I took 5g early in water. It mixed really good. It's really fine powder, looks like Icing sugar. I had initally heard about 3 weeks on 1 week off, so I may try doing that because as you say I'll be saturated in 3 weeks, or is the idea to continue the saturated level for long peroid? Thanks.

rand18m
01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
The only instructions were take 5g a day, the scoop they give has 5ml on it, when loaded up it only weighs 3g on the scale nothing about loading or cycling. I heard about cycling and loading but as you say they are not needed now. Thanks a lot.

I took 5g early in water. It mixed really good. It's really fine powder, looks like Icing sugar. I had initally heard about 3 weeks on 1 week off, so I may try doing that because as you say I'll be saturated in 3 weeks, or is the idea to continue the saturated level for long peroid? Thanks.

Continue taking it to stay saturated, once saturated if you stop it takes several weeks, up to 6 for levels to come back down to normal for some folks, therefore some people just take it on workout days, especially if they are working out many days a week. Some take it everyday, it really doesn't matter, any excess is excreted as creatinine. I know of no studies done that has found it to be harmful. Hope it works for you! Give it a few months, say 3-6 and see how it works, again there are some people that don't have the ability to increase their stores of CP, and therefore it does nothing, but it's my understanding they would be in the very small minority.

nixter
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Not sure it's optimal but I take 10g 3x a week. Basically just mix it in with my BCAA workout beverage.

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Continue taking it to stay saturated, once saturated if you stop it takes several weeks, up to 6 for levels to come back down to normal for some folks, therefore some people just take it on workout days, especially if they are working out many days a week. Some take it everyday, it really doesn't matter, any excess is excreted as creatinine. I know of no studies done that has found it to be harmful. Hope it works for you! Give it a few months, say 3-6 and see how it works, again there are some people that don't have the ability to increase their stores of CP, and therefore it does nothing, but it's my understanding they would be in the very small minority.

OK thanks.

chodan9
01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
from what I have read in the last couple of years creatine is most effective when dosed daily with 5-10 grams per day (5 is sufficient for most folks) no loading phase required or cycling either.
its about keeping a consistently high level more than anything else.

IronCharles
01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I just follow the instructions on the container. Not every brand is going to have the same purity or strength. If it says take 5 grams, take 5 grams. If you go a little over, it's not going to hurt anything. Creatine is a natural substance. You could probably take the whole container at once and not notice any difference.

chodan9
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Creatine is a natural substance. You could probably take the whole container at once and not notice any difference.

this reminds me of a conversation I had just last week in the gym.
older guy just starting back a month or so ago asked me "do you ever take creatine?"
I said that I had taken it a various times
he said "I prefer to stay natural"
bert stare from me
then knowing not to I had to say it anyway "you know creatine is a natural substance dont you"
his response was "I don't think so, I think I heard once that it turns into steroids once it hits your blood stream, that stuff scares me"
doublefacepalm.jpg
I just smiled and said "huh..."

IronCharles
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
older guy just starting back a month or so ago asked me "do you ever take creatine?"
bert stare from me
then knowing not to I had to say it anyway "you know creatine is a natural substance dont you"
his response was "I don't think so, I think I heard once that it turns into steroids once it hits your blood stream, that stuff scares me"
doublefacepalm.jpg
I just smiled and said "huh..."OMG, I'm laughing over here! I can't believe some of the broscience that gets passed off (and actually believed!) as fact. How funny!

123D321
01-26-2012, 07:14 PM
How long before blood work would you need to stop taking creatine.To get a true reading of whats going on.

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
bert stare from me
doublefacepalm.jpg

It's funny what you hear in a gym. Yeah it's "natural", sort of, it's the same stuff that's in meat, fish etc. I eat a lot of herring as that as 10g of creatine per Kilogram but then it's hard to eat a Kilogram of herring, so I thought I'd give this a creatine a go.

http://fusionnutritioninc.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-creatine-is-made.html

plumher
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Your body also naturally has testosterone in it as well so .....

freebirdmac
01-26-2012, 07:27 PM
How long before blood work would you need to stop taking creatine.To get a true reading of whats going on.

I do blood work while on creatine. No difference. If your AST/ALT levels are elevated, then you'd want to not lift for a few days to a week before getting retested. Intense workouts will really raise those numbers.

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Your body also naturally has testosterone in it as well so .....

Good point and growth hormone but I don't think they are present in a food source as consumed. Maybe red meat has growth hormone present.

Brackneyc
01-26-2012, 07:33 PM
bert stare from me
doublefacepalm.jpg

Doubling my creatine tomorrow morning. In for the hugeness. :) Watch out JC, I am gunnin' for you.

123D321
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I do blood work while on creatine. No difference. If your AST/ALT levels are elevated, then you'd want to not lift for a few days to a week before getting retested. Intense workouts will really raise those numbers.

Thanks

rand18m
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Creatine usage is analogous to carb loading, and nobody would think a thing about a runner that carb loads!

jdtemple
01-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I take 5g a day, 7 days a week. I weigh the amount on a scale, rather than relying on the scoop (my scoop only gives me 3-4g as well).

I only lift 4 days a week.

JohnDavis111
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I just started creatine. Thanks for the good info

latebloomingmom
01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
What does weather have to do with the consumption of creatine. Does it react differently?
naa....just gonna cut in the spring and have not decided if it will affect that or not..
opinions?
still reading and trying to figure that one out..

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
naa....just gonna cut in the spring and have not decided if it will affect that or not..
opinions?

Highly doubtful that you would see any or much at all difference if you keep taking it or not when cutting some weight. Unless you are planning on getting down into single digits. Remember when eating "more" depending on what you are eating "more" of... you may be eating a good amount of creatine already. I try to substatute what I need to and not over do it.

latebloomingmom
01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Highly doubtful that you would see any or much at all difference if you keep taking it or not when cutting some weight. Unless you are planning on getting down into single digits. Remember when eating "more" depending on what you are eating "more" of... you may be eating a good amount of creatine already. I try to substatute what I need to and not over do it.
ya there's a lot of talk floating around about how it causes bloating and water retention...
I am more concerned with trying to lift heavy and progress while shaving off a few calories...
mostly I wonder about getting weaker not stronger if I go off it..

Singe03
01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I tried creatine, 5g a day for 2 months and maybe I'm a non-responder to it (at least in any positive way). The only effect it seemed to have on me was a 2 month case of early morning "digestive issues" that made squatting just a little more interesting.

To answer the obvious question, there were no accidents.

I took it out of my (already very small) supplement stack.

jdtemple
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I tried creatine, 5g a day for 2 months and maybe I'm a non-responder to it (at least in any positive way). The only effect it seemed to have on me was a 2 month case of early morning "digestive issues" that made squatting just a little more interesting.

To answer the obvious question, there were no accidents.

I took it out of my (already very small) supplement stack.I had the above mentioned issues a long time ago when I tried a loading phase. I don't load or cycle creatine any more.

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
ya there's a lot of talk floating around about how it causes bloating and water retention...
I am more concerned with trying to lift heavy and progress while shaving off a few calories...
mostly I wonder about getting weaker not stronger if I go off it..

The added strength from it is minimal at best IMO.
Odds are your strength loss will not be noticed much. So, I wouldn't really worry about it.
If you do notice a difference, then I would say to get back on it.

latebloomingmom
01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
The added strength from it is minimal at best IMO.
Odds are your strength loss will not be noticed much. So, I wouldn't really worry about it.
If you do notice a difference, then I would say to get back on it.
ya...that's kinda the way I was leaning towards...
it's no longer necessary though to cycle off?
honestly I would prefer stay on it..

Thank you Carl for your responses:)

Corbi
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
It's obviously working for Monty, look how hooge and swole he is in his avi.

freebirdmac
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
It's obviously working for Monty, look how hooge and swole he is in his avi.

That's from all of them there blackberries!

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
That's from all of them there blackberries!

Naw, he's more of a dingleberries dude.

GuyJin
01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Naw, he's more of a dingleberries dude.
---

Now Carl, Monty can bench well over three hundred pounds and overhead press two hundred-plus. Guy is one strong dude and no telling how much he squats!

Oh, yes, and I saw Elvis last night at an all-you-can-eat sushi bar down the street where I live....

:D

ntrllftr
01-27-2012, 04:41 PM
---

Now Carl, Monty can bench well over three hundred pounds and overhead press two hundred-plus. Guy is one strong dude and no telling how much he squats!

Oh, yes, and I saw Elvis last night at an all-you-can-eat sushi bar down the street where I live....

This guy I know, he is a truck driver. Caesare... He sings exactly like elvis and looks like him. He trains at my gym. Great guy!

http://www.gigsalad.com/caesarebelvano

Click on the smaller photos to see them larger. He really looks a lot like him.

MontyMagpie
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
---

A little less conversation from suspicious minds.

GuyJin
01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
This guy I know, he is a truck driver. Caesare... He sings exactly like elvis and looks like him. He trains at my gym. Great guy!

http://www.gigsalad.com/caesarebelvano

Click on the smaller photos to see them larger. He really looks a lot like him.

---

Yeah, there's a resemblance. I like the way the guy advertises himself--now, THAT'S salesmanship! "Will travel 200 miles from Cleveland" and all. Wonder if he ever goes to Vegas?:D (Kidding--if he gets the character right then that's what counts).

If you ever get a chance, look for a book called 'Gone South' by Robert S. McCammon. One of the characters in there is an Elvis impersonator. McCammon used to write really crappy horror novels but Gone South is an anomaly, one of the finest 'Southern Gothic Horror' novels ever written. Really good. Came out in the 90's and was a revelation to me. Worth getting.

pvsampson
01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
---

Still on spread!!

freebirdmac
01-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Still on spread!!

Got him for ya!

pvsampson
01-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Got him for ya!

.. :)

TouaregV8
01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Allegedly, taking your creatine with 60 grams of dextrose post workout helps replenish muscle glycogen stores and causes the creatine to be absorbed more efficiently. I used to take my creatine with 100% grape juice, 5 grams per day, no loading phase. I noticed a big difference in strength when I was on it.

chodan9
01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
A little less conversation from suspicious minds.
SBmAPYkPeYU

v1rt
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi rand18m, what does saturated mean? I'm new to bodybuilding. Thanks.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Read the directions on the product you purchased and stop trolling.

GhostAvenger620
01-27-2012, 11:51 PM
bert stare from me

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk94/Avengers620/bertstare.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

freebirdmac
01-28-2012, 04:22 AM

Saturated means your body has taken in all of the creatine it can hold. Loading gets you there faster, but you'll get there just the same by taking normal amounts. Creatine is good for reasons other than building muscle. It actually calmed my IBS for example. So in addition to taking it pre and post workout, I also take one serving on non lifting days. And I never cycle off.

rand18m
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Freebird is correct! For some reason we have the ability to store more creatine phosphate than we normally do. Imagine a gas tank that is constantly 3/4 full, it's possible to fill that last 1/4 tank. For people that creatine supplementation doesn't work, the tanks is bascially already full. What you get, and this is pretty well established, is the ability to do one more rep for example. Doens't sound like much, but over six months simply add the volume up, it can be staggering, (tons).

Freebird is also correct in the other uses being discovered medicinally. Soon we may see recommendations for the elderly to take 2 grams stictly for health benefits. It's also being used for spinal cord injuries, head injuries and many many others. And to my knowledge after close to 1000 studies having been conducted, no evidence of it being harmful in anyway.

chodan9
01-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I have seen studies indicating creatine supplementation can contribute to higher brain function also.

"quick reference article"
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/270/1529/2147.short

Brackneyc
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Allegedly, taking your creatine with 60 grams of dextrose post workout helps replenish muscle glycogen stores and causes the creatine to be absorbed more efficiently. I used to take my creatine with 100% grape juice, 5 grams per day, no loading phase. I noticed a big difference in strength when I was on it.

Only asking because I am curious. If you (or anyone) notices a big difference when "on" creatine, why stop using it?

MontyMagpie
01-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I have seen studies indicating creatine supplementation can contribute to higher brain function also.

"quick reference article"
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/270/1529/2147.short

Interesting apparently electric shock does too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9040654/Electric-shock-treatment-improves-academic-performance.html

MontyMagpie
01-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Why grape juice? How about cranberry juice, cranberry already has creatine in it too.

mrmrbill
01-29-2012, 03:54 PM
The grape juice thing is old stuff. C. taken with fruit from Malus domestica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple) is the current science and yields far superior results.

-=FLEX=-
01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Why grape juice? How about cranberry juice, cranberry already has creatine in it too.

I mix mine with beer. SRS.

BillReilly
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
OMG, I'm laughing over here! I can't believe some of the broscience that gets passed off (and actually believed!) as fact. How funny!

People believe all sorts of weird things. I was in the local GNC the other day a couple of scrawny looking kids were browsing the pre-workout supplements. I know the manager on a first name basis at this point and she tells me the teens think you can turn Jack3d into a rave drug. It does have geranamine in it, but I think you would need to snort the whole jug to get the desired effect. Where these knuckleheads learned about it is anyone's guess.

If you like the pre-workout stims that use geranamine, stock up as sooner or later some dip**** will off himself with it and then it will be banned.

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 05:57 PM
i was very busy all week. i had two funerals and a ton of stuff at work and with my personal life and missed a does of ceatine.

what should i do? will i loose all of my gainz?

please help

Brackneyc
01-29-2012, 06:25 PM
i was very busy all week. i had two funerals and a ton of stuff at work and with my personal life and missed a does of ceatine.

what should i do? will i loose all of my gainz?

please help

Best not to risk the shock to your body by re-introducing the same brand. Send me the leftover portion. I will take one for the team on this one.

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Best not to risk the shock to your body by re-introducing the same brand. Send me the leftover portion. I will take one for the team on this one.

so you want me to mail you a open tub of used white powder - and you plan to use what is left in the tub I send

not a well thought out plan

pvsampson
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
so you want me to mail you a open tub of used white powder - and you plan to use what is left in the tub I send

Maybe in several envelopes from several different locations?

latebloomingmom
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
sooo when they ask you if you have anything liquid, flamable or potentially hazardous....you can say...????

Brackneyc
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Didn't say I was going to use it.:) Just removing it as a possibility for you. :) Besides, I trust you. Don't I???:D

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Didn't say I was going to use it.:) Just removing it as a possibility for you. :) Besides, I trust you. Don't I???:D

sure

brb cutting out the letters for your name and addy and pasting them on the envelope :D

Brackneyc
01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
sure

brb cutting out the letters for your name and addy and pasting them on the envelope :D

You do snort creatine as I understand it. Hurry up Mr. Postman. :D

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
You do snort creatine as I understand it. Hurry up Mr. Postman. :D

you only use it that way if you want to loose some weight

Brackneyc
01-29-2012, 07:24 PM
you only use it that way if you want to loose some weight

I'm in.

latebloomingmom
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
doingitwrong...as usual :(

tmonkey
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm in.

for the loosing :D

you are losing just fine without it

strong avi bro

Brackneyc
01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
for the loosing :D

you are losing just fine without it

strong avi bro

I have been rubbing the creatine into my eyes. Snorting it will be a nice change of pace. :D

I appreciate the props. I still want 10%BF and 175 by summer.