PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition for cutting / visible abs

banksyboy12345
01-26-2012, 11:59 AM
my bodyfat is around 13% but want it much lower to get my abs always visible.

could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction as what a rough days meals / fluids / supplements would look like.

i will be incorporating this with cardio, and light wight's work aswell as resistance such as situps/ pushups/ planking etc.

no neg pls here for advice, ive read alot of threads but really unsure as to what i should be eating, how much, and when!

thanks

chike22
01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Have you read this? It's a calorie deficit along with sufficient macros (and micros) that will lose the fat.

PBateman2
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Stickies. Read. Easy and best of all...it's FREE.

mysterystench
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Read the stickies...but to summarize- calorie deficit, watch macros, cardio and lots of water. Most important is consistency...stay on track, stay dedicated and your abs will soon be visible. There isnt a specific method to losing mid-section weight, just focus on dropping overall bodyfat and your abs will show.

As for nutrition, obviously you want to eat as clean as possible. Log your meals if you think that will help (it helped me a lot).

banksyboy12345
01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
thanks guys!

yeh have read stickies theres just so much to take in lol.

mhovanes21
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
thanks guys!

yeh have read stickies theres just so much to take in lol.

Follow the link below if you can't, for whatever odd reason, make sense of the stickies.

mhovanes21
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Read the stickies...but to summarize- calorie deficit, watch macros, cardio and lots of water. Most important is consistency...stay on track, stay dedicated and your abs will soon be visible. There isnt a specific method to losing mid-section weight, just focus on dropping overall bodyfat and your abs will show.

As for nutrition, obviously you want to eat as clean as possible. Log your meals if you think that will help (it helped me a lot).

Reps for not simply bumping your post count with replying "read the stickies"

BBqChicken1
01-26-2012, 01:34 PM
As for nutrition, obviously you want to eat as clean as possible.

How does soap taste brah?

mysterystench
01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
How does soap taste brah?

Bitter, and like shiit tbh.

dakidztownboi
01-26-2012, 03:44 PM

This is a great post keep consistent and eat clean and limit your cheat meals to once a week

dakidztownboi
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
dont listen to people who make smart responses about clean eating, it works for most people

BBqChicken1
01-26-2012, 04:04 PM
dont listen to people who make smart responses about clean eating, it works for most people

Why wouldn't eating food not work? If you clean it with soap or whatever, it doesn't make any difference.

Mayahi
01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
my bodyfat is around 13% but want it much lower to get my abs always visible.

could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction as what a rough days meals / fluids / supplements would look like.

i will be incorporating this with cardio, and light wight's work aswell as resistance such as situps/ pushups/ planking etc.

no neg pls here for advice, ive read alot of threads but really unsure as to what i should be eating, how much, and when!

thanks

I've started my first ever cut a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd share what I've been doing. I hired a personal trainer and he has helped me shape this routine. I can't say its the best for everyone and it definitely gets hard at times, but I already have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks (and if you assume 1-2lbs/wk is healthy, then I'm on track) so I'm sticking with it!

Basically, diet-wise, its low calorie, low carb. Usually around 4 meals/day with the occasional snack. I only eat certain foods, and stay away from others (starchy or sugary foods). I drink a TON of water to help with not eating and feeling full. Also, chewing gum helps a bunch too! If I do snack its usually on celery or cucumbers. Lemon juice and pepper are good ways to add flavor to food and some garlic salt isn't bad in moderation.

For the exercise portion, I try to get 30 mins of cardio in during the morning followed by an hour weight session at night for mon-fri. Sometimes due to scheduling conflicts I can't get the morning cardio in, so I will do some cardio, 10-15mins after my lifting just to get the extra burn in. On sat/sun I try to do hour cardio sessions, no weights these days.

Sample weekday:

7:00am Breakfast: 2 large eggs w/ 1/2 grapefruit and 16oz decaf green tea (trying to depend less on caffeine)
8:00am Morning Cardio
Snack
12:00pm Meal 2: Can of tuna (light tuna in water) with romaine lettuce (lettuce wraps), 1/2cup blueberries w/ some black berries
4:00pm Meal 3: 4oz chicken breast with 2.5 cups broccoli
7:00pm Meal 4: 4oz salmon with 2.5 cups broccoli

5 hours is the absolute longest I will go without eating. Its very hard. I try to stay around 3-4 if possible. Protein sources I eat include: chicken breast, salmon, tuna, lean ground beef, extra lean ground turkey (jennie-o brand). Vegetables I eat, which you can basically eat a ton of include broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, green beans, celery, cucumbers. The fruit I mentioned above is the only fruit I eat. No dairy. I cook all my meat by grilling on my George Foreman.

It isn't easy but you get used to it. I've definitely noticed a difference in my abs, best I've ever seen them and I still have a little over 5 weeks to go!

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or message me. Cutting can be a brutal process and I'm new to the whole thing, so talking with someone who shares your experience can help! Good luck!

WonderPug
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
^ You're engaging in lots of ritualistic behaviors that have no impact on the outcome of your diet, yet you don't seem to be focused on the factors that have the greatest impact on your diet, including properly calibrating energy intake and micro/macronutrient sufficiency.

Mayahi
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
^ You're engaging in lots of ritualistic behaviors that have no impact on the outcome of your diet, yet you don't seem to be focused on the factors that have the greatest impact on your diet, including properly calibrating energy intake and micro/macronutrient sufficiency.

are you saying that to me?

WonderPug
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
are you saying that to me?Yes, I am.

thatguy1987
01-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I've started my first ever cut a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd share what I've been doing. I hired a personal trainer and he has helped me shape this routine. I can't say its the best for everyone and it definitely gets hard at times, but I already have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks (and if you assume 1-2lbs/wk is healthy, then I'm on track) so I'm sticking with it!

Basically, diet-wise, its low calorie, low carb. Usually around 4 meals/day with the occasional snack. I only eat certain foods, and stay away from others (starchy or sugary foods). I drink a TON of water to help with not eating and feeling full. Also, chewing gum helps a bunch too! If I do snack its usually on celery or cucumbers. Lemon juice and pepper are good ways to add flavor to food and some garlic salt isn't bad in moderation.

For the exercise portion, I try to get 30 mins of cardio in during the morning followed by an hour weight session at night for mon-fri. Sometimes due to scheduling conflicts I can't get the morning cardio in, so I will do some cardio, 10-15mins after my lifting just to get the extra burn in. On sat/sun I try to do hour cardio sessions, no weights these days.

Sample weekday:

7:00am Breakfast: 2 large eggs w/ 1/2 grapefruit and 16oz decaf green tea (trying to depend less on caffeine)
Snack
12:00pm Meal 2: Can of tuna (light tuna in water) with romaine lettuce (lettuce wraps), 1/2cup blueberries w/ some black berries

5 hours is the absolute longest I will go without eating. Its very hard. I try to stay around 3-4 if possible. Protein sources I eat include: chicken breast, salmon, tuna, lean ground beef, extra lean ground turkey (jennie-o brand). Vegetables I eat, which you can basically eat a ton of include broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, green beans, celery, cucumbers. The fruit I mentioned above is the only fruit I eat. No dairy. I cook all my meat by grilling on my George Foreman.

It isn't easy but you get used to it. I've definitely noticed a difference in my abs, best I've ever seen them and I still have a little over 5 weeks to go!

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or message me. Cutting can be a brutal process and I'm new to the whole thing, so talking with someone who shares your experience can help! Good luck!

How many calories are you taking in each day? What's you maintenance and what's you fat loss for calories?

banksyboy12345
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Sample weekday:

Snack

sweet dude, thanks useful insight.
do oyu have any pics ?

Mayahi
01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
How many calories are you taking in each day? What's you maintenance and what's you fat loss for calories?

I'm probably getting around 1200ish/day. I've gotten used to eating less. My maintenance is closer to 2200. I do feel like I may be going a little bit too extreme, but that's the point for this 6 week cut. When I lost 4.2lbs in 2 weeks, that put me on average at over a 1000cal deficit each day. But hell, if I can burn 2lbs of fat per week in a short amount of time...sounds good to me!

sweet dude, thanks useful insight.
do oyu have any pics ?

Right now, my profile is a pic of my 7 months of changing my lifestyle. I haven't taken a cutting picture yet. I will be taking that the 9th of February.

alex2363
01-27-2012, 05:46 PM
its all about calories in/out...i cut my calories down to 1800 -2000, workout 5 times week, 1/2 hr hiit cardio and my abs come out from hybernation within weeks.