PDA

View Full Version : I need motivation

cmoore
01-26-2012, 05:42 AM
My workouts have been meh the last two weeks. Not skipping days and still having decent lifts but lately it's been so routine feeling. Like my fires burning a little less hot.

What's got you motivated lately? What are you doing to keep your fun and motivation up?

SideSteal
01-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Do you deload regularly and are you due?

tsoden
01-26-2012, 06:18 AM
maybe its time to change up your routine? Try alternating your lifts to try something different?

ArchAngel'73
01-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Motivation is not something you can get off of the internet,
you have it or you don't.

DocTats
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
YouTube videos....

For my jump roping, I'll pick someone really good and try to steal moves from them...

for strength and conditioning, I'll pick someone (usually an MMA fighter or NFL player) whose conditioning I really admire and see if there are workout videos available. One guy I watch a lot is Thomas Jones, always been impressed with his build. Can't remember what I did before YouTube and internet in general, probably a lot of mental psyching up visualizing these athletes.

uVsJ2mIb06Y

cozener
01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
If you don't listen to music while you work out you might try that.

Smokedduck
01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Change up your routine, Take a full day or 2 for yourself and you'll be refreshed.

cmoore
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Yes I'm definitely due to rearrange my routine. I've been hesitant as my lifts have continued to improve on my current plan, just not as excited about my days as usual.

Ouch. Beyond the title of my thread, I was also looking for input as to what others are doing that's fun and self motivating.

ArchAngel'73
01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Ouch. Beyond the title of my thread, I was also looking for input as to what others are doing that's fun and self motivating.

Ok, look at your AVI, look at you.

You look better than 95% of the population and you can't find a good reason to keep that going or get it back (if you are coming off of a long lay off)??

External sources of motivation are fleeting and false.
Internal sources of motivation last a lifetime and are true.

Sorry brah, this one is all up you.
That's what makes bb'ing so phuckin' awesome! ;)
Its all you, no one else can help you.

jdudek
01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Might be time for a week or two off. I try taking a week off when I'm not in the mood to be at the gym. I come back with an attitude that I missed something and get refocused on my goal.

cmoore
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Perhaps inspiration wouldve been a better title. I have been and still am relentless. I'm getting the work done, just looking for new ideas to kick the fun back up.

Everyone has ups and downs. Most people on here push through them. Interested to hear how they do it. Just because my reflection looks good doesn't mean I cant learn from others.

Thanks everyone for the time and input btw.

Frnkd
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Ok, look at your AVI, look at you.

You look better than 95% of the population and you can't find a good reason to keep that going or get it back (if you are coming off of a long lay off)??

External sources of motivation are fleeting and false.
Internal sources of motivation last a lifetime and are true.

Sorry brah, this one is all up you.
That's what makes bb'ing so phuckin' awesome! ;)
Its all you, no one else can help you.

I absolutely agree that the motivation once internalized is stronger than anything.
What I find that helps me internatlize it is to read peoples stories....i.e.Archangels
Look at peoples profile and their pics expecially if they have the body that I am striving for...like to read their stories too....progress pics are amazing motivators.
I also have people who I put as inpirational, it starts a dialogue to which I find motivating

just some of the ways I do it...of course it all comes down to your ultimate goal that you have with bb.

ArchAngel'73
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Everyone has ups and downs. Most people on here push through them.

That's your answer right there.
Push through them.

10,000 excuses not to or to go through the motions and yet only really 1 true reason;

You.

-=FLEX=-
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
This thread is one big facepalm, with the exception of the two posts by my fellow Canadian from Alberta.

mrmrbill
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
...just looking for new ideas to kick the fun back up.

OP, whilst motivation/inspiration are ultimately internal, you might find workout tracking w/ Fitocracy.com to be helpful. Fitocracy is a levels-based achievement system that rewards various feats of strength, i.e. Deadlift for 1.3/1.8/2.8x bodyweight. The tracking system makes recording workouts very easy, with great visual progress graphing. And whilst it is weighted towards lifting, there are many other fitness activiities included for points accrual: cycling, swimming, hiking, martial arts, etc... In addition to level achievements, there are also "quests" to complete such as 20-rep squats at 1.5bw or completing combinations of pressing movements within the same week.

If you'd like to see how it works, there is a variety of screenshots for the tracking, graphing, and reward levels in my journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140441063&p=801552491&viewfull=1#post801552491

cmoore
01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
OP, whilst motivation/inspiration are ultimately internal, you might find workout tracking w/ Fitocracy.com to be helpful. Fitocracy is a levels-based achievement system that rewards various feats of strength, i.e. Deadlift for 1.3/1.8/2.8x bodyweight. The tracking system makes recording workouts very easy, with great visual progress graphing. And whilst it is weighted towards lifting, there are many other fitness activiities included for points accrual: cycling, swimming, hiking, martial arts, etc... In addition to level achievements, there are also "quests" to complete such as 20-rep squats at 1.5bw or completing combinations of pressing movements within the same week.

If you'd like to see how it works, there is a variety of screenshots for the tracking, graphing, and reward levels in my journal

Awesome! Thank you!

This thread is one big facepalm, with the exception of the two posts by my fellow Canadian from Alberta.

I remember when you joined a few years ago. You were a lot nicer back then. Then again if I posted 23,000 times here in two years, I'd probably be grumpy just like you too.

x-trainer ben
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Perhaps inspiration wouldve been a better title. I have been and still am relentless. I'm getting the work done, just looking for new ideas to kick the fun back up.

Everyone has ups and downs. Most people on here push through them. Interested to hear how they do it. Just because my reflection looks good doesn't mean I cant learn from others.

Thanks everyone for the time and input btw.

1. pick a body part to maximize in the short term( calves for a month) to get focused
2. download 2 new fast beat (130+ beats per min) albums/cd's/itunes
3. choose new untried exercises and rep ranges to find new challenges
4. buy this today and enjoy

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/catalog/search-results.jsp?q=craze&output=xml_no_dtd&client=wwwbodybuilding&proxystylesheet=wwwbodybuilding&getfields=description&filter=0&site=store
5. add a new/untried 30 min cardio session to workouts
6. enjoy new found motivation and thank me in a month!

Corbi
01-26-2012, 04:56 PM

^^^This is the only correct answer, suck it up buttercup.

I remember when you joined a few years ago. You were a lot nicer back then. Then again if I posted 23,000 times here in two years, I'd probably be grumpy just like you too.

Not true at all, Flex has been an ass from day 1:D

Waves at Jim.

Brackneyc
01-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes I'm definitely due to rearrange my routine. I've been hesitant as my lifts have continued to improve on my current plan, just not as excited about my days as usual.

I normally just sit down with a big ole' bag of apples and get bizaaaay. :)

-=FLEX=-
01-26-2012, 05:02 PM

You're just trying to hurt my feelings.

Oh wait; I don't have any. Carry on.

GhostAvenger620
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
This always motivates me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBtr6Y4mKsY

(00:56) Call me Captain... Captain America!!!!!!

cmoore
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
This always motivates me..

(00:56) Call me Captain... Captain America!!!!!!

Awesome!

You need one of these then...

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=3QFFO5lHdmk

IronCharles
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
If you have to ask for motivation, you're in the wrong discipline. A true bodybuilder needs no motivation. He lifts, because he can't imagine what it would be like NOT to.

cmoore
01-26-2012, 08:34 PM
If you have to ask for motivation, you're in the wrong discipline. A true bodybuilder needs no motivation. He lifts, because he can't imagine what it would be like NOT to.

Some of you are very judgmental it seems. Where did I say I was quiting or not getting my work outs done exactly?

Everyone plateaus, be it physical or mental. If you read my entire post you'd see I was looking to see essentially how others bust their plateaus.

With your Savant quote I would've figured you'd be more understanding. Heh, ironic.

IronCharles
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Some of you are very judgmental it seems. Where did I say I was quiting or not getting my work outs done exactly?

Everyone plateaus, be it physical or mental. If you read my entire post you'd see I was looking to see essentially how others bust their plateaus.

With your Savant quote I would've figured you'd be more understanding. Heh, ironic.Not judging at all. You'll get out of your training exactly what you put into it, both mentally, and physically. Shouldn't be that controversial.

I hope you are able to find the motivation you seek, sir.

latebloomingmom
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I remember IC what it felt like NOT TO workout...it is this particular vision in my head that is my strongest motivator:)

JohnDavis111
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Im just starting and I appreciate your thread and will check back to see some more answers. Im sure it will be useful

JerryB
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
My enthusiasm will have it peaks and valleys. I stay motivated by realizing this is a long term activity. Some workouts will be so-so and other will be great. Regardless, it’s the long run expectations that keeps me motivated.

IronCharles
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Everyone plateaus, be it physical or mental. The key to avoiding this behavior is to have a concrete goal or goals that you are going to (not mess around and maybe try to) achieve. If you are going to be on stage competing in San Diego, California on August 22nd, 2012, or if you are going to have 16" arms within 365 days, or if you are going to be bench pressing 315 by your next birthday; then there is no "plateau" to be worried about. You are using your knowledge and physical skills in a linear fashion to achieve your predetermined goal. How are you going to start wavering, and slacking off if you only have 4 more months to get it done in? You better get that negative **** out of your mind and get busy. Time's a' wastin'!

Don't permit anything to distract you from your goal. "Plateaus" are insidious doubt which you allow (yes, YOU are allowing this behavior) to cloud your mind and create excuses with. Give in to this, or fail to set goals in the first place, and you will find yourself filled with frustration, and posting "help me" threads on the internet.

StressMonkey
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately because of your wording you are getting lumped in with the endless stream of people that temporarily pop in asking "I want muscles but I don't feel like working out. How do I get motivated?" And then you never hear from 99.999999999999889% of them again.

cmoore
01-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately because of your wording you are getting lumped in with the endless stream of people that temporarily pop in asking "I want muscles but I don't feel like working out. How do I get motivated?" And then you never hear from 99.999999999999889% of them again.

Yep. Long time lurker but hardly ever posted in the past so I don't have the post count to put up pics. That might have saved me some of the "pussy" labeling. I had a good leg day today, not heroic but good.

shot from this morning: imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/01/27/118316/progresspic/1vWBdouEabiEplbHpDhkFRYfOWhia0122.jpeg

bustasinclair
01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep. Long time lurker but hardly ever posted in the past so I don't have the post count to put up pics. That might have saved me some of the "pussy" labeling. I had a good leg day today, not heroic but good.

shot from this morning: imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/01/27/118316/progresspic/1vWBdouEabiEplbHpDhkFRYfOWhia0122.jpeg

315# lunges?........... Thanks man, you just motivated me (srs)

Outstanding work!

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
That might have saved me some of the "pussy" labeling.

I just re-read every single post in this thread.

No one called you a pussy, or any other names for that matter.

Maybe some of the feedback wasn't what you wanted, but too bad; you asked for it.

So again; this thread is one big facepalm, 315 lb lunges notwithstanding.

cmoore
01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I just re-read every single post in this thread.

No one called you a pussy, or any other names for that matter.

Maybe some of the feedback wasn't what you wanted, but too bad; you asked for it.

So again; this thread is one big facepalm, 315 lb lunges notwithstanding.

You know what, you're right. My comment was out of line.

Thank you to everyone who's posted ideas. Everyone's stalled out mentally at least once. I like hearing/learning what helped you push past the funk. I'm working on some new goal setting which should help get my head back into the game.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm working on some new goal setting which should help get my head back into the game.

Good stuff. :cool:

Repped.

cmoore
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Been relentlessly crashing through my routines but somethings still been off (including weird muscle trembling during normally easy movements). I talked to a family friend who is an NCAA & USATF strength coach and the response was "check your calcium and magnesium intake." Looking over my diet the last few months as best I can, looks like I've been getting roughly 80% calcium and 60% magnesium of the suggested daily intake. I hope getting my Mg and Ca up helps. Wish me luck.

cmoore
02-12-2012, 06:39 AM
So ive added 1000mg Ca (500 am + 500 pm )and 400mg Mg (pm) to my regimen Not sure if it's placebo or legit but the last 3 nights I've slept better than I have in forever and my last two workouts have been SO much fun. I'm not magically stronger or anything but no trembling and my endurance is up noticeably already. Very exciting.

crupiea
02-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I have to learn a little bit from every workout for improvement next time. Might just be something with my grip or elbows or whatever it may be. Just have to learn something.

Could be your routine is just boring. Thats what usually does it for me, gets stale and I dont want to do it.

DarrenConroy
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I usually scroll through some of these threads and they get me ready to kill the weights! (http://www.controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?17962-Motivational-Quotes-Pictures-and-Videos&p=150500#post150500, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116404151&p=834676021#post834676021, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117182591). I'm sure you listen to music while your working out, if your not don't rely on the music that the gym is playing. An ipod was the best investment I ever made for working out, find music that gets you in the zone. Lastly, what kind of sups are you taking? A good pre workout will get you pumped, focused and ready for war! Those are the big three for me!

pipios
02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
My workouts have been meh the last two weeks. Not skipping days and still having decent lifts but lately it's been so routine feeling. Like my fires burning a little less hot.

What's got you motivated lately? What are you doing to keep your fun and motivation up?

women !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarrenConroy
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
women !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol!!

Rocky3540
02-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Lots of comps going on in threads on this page. Max bench by body weight. Max reps doing body weight, squats deadlifts excetra. Pick on and try to kick some ass. Good luck on reaching mine... Lol, that was just for a little motivation.

billb7581
02-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Ironwills journal keeps me motivated.

chubbyO
02-20-2012, 06:35 AM

I think it is different for everyone. People get their motivation from all sorts of sources,be it the internet, the forum, or from within...whatever works. For me, when I am low on motivation I read through these threads, look at before / after pictures and before I know it I am back on the treadmill. :-)

BloodySalad
02-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Whenever I want motivating, I just think that in 4 or 5 months time, it's going to be summer.

Time for tight shirts and shorts!!!

DarrenConroy
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Gotta look good for summer! It all starts now!!

cmoore
02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Gotta look good for summer! It all starts now!!

I'm working on it. Last two weeks have been going great! Placebo or not the Ca and Mg seem to have made a big difference. My forearms/elbows are still healing (grip fatigues quickly and then the pain kicks in hard) but each day they seem to get a little better and all in all I've been able to work around them well enough. Mentally, I've gotten my head screwed back on and I'm having fun again. :)

DarrenConroy
02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm working on it. Last two weeks have been going great! Placebo or not the Ca and Mg seem to have made a big difference. My forearms/elbows are still healing (grip fatigues quickly and then the pain kicks in hard) but each day they seem to get a little better and all in all I've been able to work around them well enough. Mentally, I've gotten my head screwed back on and I'm having fun again. :)

That's the name of the game for sure! I hope your pain subsides and you can continue to get good workouts in.. The R3 by Cellucore is really helpful for joint and muscle pain as well as recovery.. I use it pretty religiously.. Glad to hear you got your head back in the game!

badclams
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
All really good answers, I'll tell ya I have the biggest s#it eating grin and rise in blood pressure right now !

CardinalRB34
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Might be time for a week or two off. I try taking a week off when I'm not in the mood to be at the gym. I come back with an attitude that I missed something and get refocused on my goal.

I was gonna suggest the same thing. When was the last time you took off an extended period of time? 1-2 weeks off a couple times a year can do wonders. ANother thing I do IF I feel like I'm getting burned out... is join another gym. It's refreshing to train in a new atmosphere sometimes.

tsoden
02-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Whenever I want motivating, I just think that in 4 or 5 months time, it's going to be summer.

Time for tight shirts and SHORT shorts!!!

Here let me fix that for you....

DarrenConroy
03-04-2012, 04:25 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/flex950/muscle1leg.jpg

Motivation!!

Corbi
03-04-2012, 04:36 PM
ANother thing I do IF I feel like I'm getting burned out... is join another gym. It's refreshing to train in a new atmosphere sometimes.

I switch up between 3 different Anytime Fitness's, it's nice going someplace with different equipment, layout, people, etc.

zedx
03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Do you squat or deadlift? If I were you I'd get into powerlifting for a change. This is assuming you don't do that. It added some fun to my workouts again. Bodybuilding can get boring. I like the number game powerlifiting brings to the table.

jayluk4600
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Just take a week off man and stop stressing. Your not gonna shrink in 7 days time.

DarrenConroy
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Just take a week off man and stop stressing. Your not gonna shrink in 7 days time.

Sometimes a week to reset and get motivated is needed.. Agreed!