PDA

View Full Version : Working out 3 days a week okay?

Igottamakeit
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Sat, Sun and Wednes....

Do you think it's too much time between workouts?

MontyMagpie
01-25-2012, 06:02 PM
It is good.

Oceanside
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Sat, Sun and Wednes....

depends on what you are doing sat,sun and weds...

bigtallox
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Sat, Sun and Wednes....

It depends on what you're doing when you're training. BUT a 3 day a week routine isn't non optimal just because of the 3 days a week. Post the details of your routine, and your goals, if you want any meaningful advice.

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I lift three days a week, but I am a fatty, so, you know, there is that.

Kraken
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM

So thats how you got so fat.

Seriously though, I lift three days a week too. I like to think that my workouts are a little more demanding than it would be if I went to 5 days a week though too. You just have to adjust the effort/volume you put in to it, since you're getting more rest.

CardinalRB34
01-25-2012, 07:05 PM
3 days is optimal for decent results. In reality your muscles don't grow while working out... they grow while recovering. The question is... are you doing enough in those 3 days to stimulate optimal growth?

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
So thats how you got so fat.

Seriously though, I lift three days a week too. I like to think that my workouts are a little more demanding than it would be if I went to 5 days a week though too. You just have to adjust the effort/volume you put in to it, since you're getting more rest.

Yup (on the fat part) :) I tried a 5 day split. I wasn't ready for it. Well, I am not carrying enough muscle to "need" it yet.

JerryB
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Three days per week works for me.

But it depends on your goals and how you structure your weight training

zanak74
01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I do three to four days a week myself. I do arms one day, legs another, chest one day, and shoulders and back a combined for a separate day.

v1rt
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I am a beginner. I lift 3 days a week(MWF). I lift really extremes(for my weight) that even at the cold unfinished basement(55f), I sweat a lot! About 2-3 weeks ago, I didn't have any program. I do an exercise based on what I will recall. LOL. Now, I have set a program for 1 hour with a rest of 40sec to 1 minute. However, I have exercises that are supersets which means there won't be any long rest. I hope I'll see big improvement in a month(I'm already seeing changes lately). :)

I have seen huge improvement in my 2 weeks in terms of my strength. Today, I did 6 sets of bodyweight pull-ups, 15 reps although on my last set, I was only able to make 13 reps. My body was shaking on the 14th but I was still able to pull my body but not able to put my neck above the bar. I think it's called failure which is really good.

I hope I won't get tired of doing this. So far, I am very inspired and I can't wait for the rest day to finish. :)

Josann
01-26-2012, 01:38 AM
At 58 next month the rest is key for me. A hard workout with little rest between sets and maybe some sort of cardio finisher will keep you in shape with 3 days. if needed walking a bit or some sort of other activities-yoga, martial arts, dance, or just stretching while watching tv etc- cand do wonders.

tsoden
01-26-2012, 03:58 AM

no dude... *I* am a fatty... you are awesome.

cmoore
01-26-2012, 04:32 AM
I've done well with 3 day routines in the past but the last year I've had way more fun with training 6 days. 6day workouts mean I don't have to destroy myself everytime because there's not as much time off. Seems my muscles stay tighter with more frequent training even though I lift less heavy. And on a 6 day I just don't have to train quite as hard or for as many sets. I love the gym too so going more often is fun for me.

For a 3 day routine I love the mirror program. Day one you train all the upper body muscles you can see in the mirror (chest, bi, ant delt, etc). Day 2 train the muscles you cant see (back tris traps etc). Day 3 legs (squats, rev lunge, romans, sumos). In this way my arms get hit twice a week, once as a secondary mover and once as a primary. Similarly my back gets hit twice, on back day and secondarily from the deads/romans.

painthappy
01-26-2012, 06:37 AM
3 days a week lifting... The other days I'm doing Cardio, outdoor activities (skiing, biking, or whatever the weather allows) and I also take a day off for rest.

Lifting comprises of two days of upper body (3 x 8), and a 1 day of heavy lower body (5 x 5) lifting. Lots of compound exercises, with some isolated ones for the fun of it.

Basically it ends up like this: Tuesday (upper), Thursday (lower), Saturday (upper), rinse and repeat.

The other thing to consider is your goals. My routine may not be the best out there, but my goal is to lose weight right now. I don't want to lose muscle, so I'm working out, but I'm not feeding my muscles for big growth either, so I have to keep it all in perspective.

afterguard
01-26-2012, 06:44 AM
3 days for me too, and like Painthappy...I get plenty of activity in between by skiing, bball, etc.

I'm almost 44 now, and I think the rest days are just as important to my progress. My diet is also very good.

DocTats
01-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Yep, made my best gains doing 3x per week full body. If I may make a suggestion, given how your days are spaced out....try upper body Sat, lower body Sunday (or vice versa) and full body on Wednesday. At least that's the way I would do it...

NitrogenWidget
01-26-2012, 07:03 AM
It depends.
My workout is supposed to be 3 days a week & I go balls out so i'm usually sore most of the week.
But sometimes I recover quicker & start my split a day or two early.

-=FLEX=-
01-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Working out 3 days a week okay?

Sat, Sun and Wednes....

You haven't given anywhere near enough information about your training or goals for ANYONE to give you a definitive answer, so LMFAO at anyone above that even tired.

SRSLY.

-=FLEX=-
01-26-2012, 07:07 AM
It is good.

Really? OK, then. Easy to see why you're red.

Igottamakeit
01-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Chest, tris
Shoulders, legs
Back, tris

And a good diet on the off days, I'm down to 180 from 200 and my bench is up.

I still have work to do but I'm slowly improving.

-=FLEX=-
01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
You've still not given enough info, but anyway....

I still have work to do but I'm slowly improving.

You more or less just answered your own question anyway: if you're improving then obviously it's working for you.

You qualified that by saying slowly, but I don't know what that means; everyone has their own idea of how fast they should improve.

geer_matt
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Why are people so stuck on making routines fit into neat little weekly packages? If you are serious about making gains you will figure out what is optimum for you and do that, whether it be once a week, once every six days or once every eight days. Not what fits neatly into a calendar week.

Old-Time-Lifter
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Why are people so stuck on making routines fit into neat little weekly packages? If you are serious about making gains you will figure out what is optimum for you and do that, whether it be once a week, once every six days or once every eight days. Not what fits neatly into a calendar week.

I don't often agree with Matt but I do agree on this. My workout days vary from week to week.

induced_drag
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I have been doing a three day/week workout for the past year. I think I might be making even better progress then when I trained 4 days/week.

All depends on your program though.

I do a M/W/F. Mon is all upper body (heavy chest and back). Wed is heavy legs. Fri is Upper body again (light) with a focus on arms.

Kraken
01-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I have been doing a three day/week workout for the past year. I think I might be making even better progress then when I trained 4 days/week.

All depends on your program though.

I do a M/W/F. Mon is all upper body (heavy chest and back). Wed is heavy legs. Fri is Upper body again (light) with a focus on arms.

That sounds interesting. I bet Monday is brutal.

My old routine was an upper/lower body split like this, but instead of heavy and light days, I picked 1 compound exercise for each body part for monday, and picked a different one for Friday.

I am interested in seeing your routine though. Not for criticism, just for an idea of how you do it.

billb7581
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I am making good gains (losses?) on the All Pro beginner routine 3x week full body, but I dont think I would be able to do it 2 days in a row like that

induced_drag
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
That sounds interesting. I bet Monday is brutal.

My old routine was an upper/lower body split like this, but instead of heavy and light days, I picked 1 compound exercise for each body part for monday, and picked a different one for Friday.

I am interested in seeing your routine though. Not for criticism, just for an idea of how you do it.

Here is my mon workout:

On my main compounds, I will always try to keep TOTAL reps between 25-30. The first two weeks are 3x10, then 4x7 then 5x5. These rotate every two weeks to keep me working different rep ranges. I use a 1rm calculator to figure my starting wieght when I change rep ranges and make adjustments from there.

Mon: CHEST AND BACK heavy, light shoulders and arms

Main compounds
Flat bench 3x10 (will change rep ranges as weeks go on)
Rent Row 3x10 (will change rep ranges as weeks go on)

Rest of workout: (non changing rep ranges)
Dumbell decline bench 3x10
Cable seated row 3x10

Cable crossover 2x10-15 Supersetted with
Dips...by feel

Pullups 3 sets by feel concentrating on pulling with wide back

Giant set for arms I do this three times with rep ranges 10-12

Skullcrushers superestted with
Scott curls Supersetted with
Dumbell lateral raise

Thats it for mon!

Wed legs.

Same with the rep ranges for my major compounds. , I will always try to keep TOTAL reps between 25-30. The first two weeks are 3x10, then 4x7 then 5x5. These rotate every two weeks to keep me working different rep ranges. I use a 1rm calculator to figure my starting wieght when I change rep ranges and make adjustments from there.

Squat 3x10
RDL 3x10
Leg ext 3x10-15
Leg curl 3x10-15
Calves 4 sets

I rotate in deadlifts every few weeks just for a change up. When I do them, I drop my squats to light weight and rep out on 3 sets.

Fri...Shoulders and Arm blasting session....(light back, chest)

Seated dumbel press 3x10
Clean and press 3x10

Close grip BP 3x10

Dumbell pullovers 3x10 supersetted with
Cable cross

Barbell curls 3x10

Overhead tricep extensions w/ dumbell 3x10

Lateral raises 2 sets

giant set for finishing 2x
hammer curls
rope tricep

That is about it..... Some times I rotate different exercises in and out but always focus on my main compounds and vary the rep range in those over time.

My workouts generally take just over 1 hour.

vladoversic
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Sat, Sun and Wednes....

Generally one should take no more than three day in a row of rest between workouts, i follow that rule myself, when i go for strength training i train 3-4 times per week, taking no more than two days of rest in a row.

GnomusMaximus
01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Do what you can with what ya got. if those are the days you got use em. You could look at it 2 ways that pop in my head. Remember I'm into strength sports not bodybuilding so i don't look at things by body parts.

1) Break it into the 4 "big" lifts, Squat/Bench/DL/Press. Rotate those 4 over the 3 days so it would be: Week 1: Sat-Squat, Sun - Bench, Wed-DL. Week 2: Sat - Press, Sun - Squat, Wed - Bench...etc for a 4 week cycle.

or option 2

2) Sat - DL, Sun - Bench, Wed - Squat & Press

For either option do whatever assistance work you feel is best.

You'd be surprised, there are alot of really strong guys that lift only 3 or even 2 days/week

ezra76
01-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I also end up at 3-4 days a week. I do every other day and usually 2 days off if I deadlift.

You should be able to come up with a routine you can do effectively around that schedule.

BuffTheologian
04-27-2016, 01:28 AM
This is my first time trying to workout, and I'm a pretty small guy, muscle wise, and I feel dumb asking this, but did you get your pic results just from doing 3 days a week?

I don't have a lot of time on my hands due to school and work, and I go to church on Sundays and Thursdays, but I really want to get into better shape, because I'm not that confident in myself yet. I'm coming out of a serious addiction phase in my life, and I'm trying to get better with health. I was just wondering if you had any tips.

Thanks for posting!

Wintondevil
04-27-2016, 03:47 AM
Listening to Dorian Yates on London Real he mentioned that he only trained 3 days a week when he was at his peak; But he also mentioned that he gave it his all. yeah I was shocked too.
I now follow this philosophy and have had more and better gainz in the last 6 months than I did for the recent 4 years of my training before these 6 months. It took me a while to get my head around the whole not training 5 days.

BackwoodsGa
04-30-2016, 11:14 AM
If it works... it's all good.

twbranch
05-02-2016, 04:10 AM
If you are like me you will probably get addicted to the gym or fitness and do something every day anyway. Give 3 days/week a try. just be forewarned...the gym is a lifestyle and eventually you will miss it on days you don't go.

Dave0306
05-07-2016, 04:00 PM
If you think it's working than that's what matters and I believe if all you have is 3 days per week then destroy yourself over those three days. I don't know your goals but I would recommend taking each day and focusing on the three powerlifts- bench day/squat day/deadlift day- and with plenty of assistance work and see what happens.

tanksoldier
05-07-2016, 10:58 PM
This is my first time trying to workout,

3 days per week is better than no days per week.

Several well known workout plans advocate only working out 3 or 4 days per week, including Stronglifts 5x5 and Wendler's 531.

You don't have to spend hours in the gym to get results. You DO have to have a plan.

You, and I, don't know enough yet to make effective plans for ourselves, so we need to choose one from someone who DOES know enough.

I'm using this:

http://stronglifts.com/

My mid-range goal is to transition to this:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

Other popular beginner plans are out there. Pick one and get started.

I recommend Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength" it has a good beginner plan as well as explaining WHY lifting works like it does. $10 electronic version from Amazon. He isn't the be-all end-all of weight lifting, but he's a good place for the novice to start.

Even if you don't follow his plan the other information is worth the read.

Plan your lifts, lift your plan... go in, get shiite done and leave.

BJE
05-10-2016, 11:59 AM
My current fitness routine is one hour of taekwondo on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday, weightlifting 4 to 6 days a week divided into chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders, legs, and abdomen. Lap swimming about once every other week and sex every other night.

STUDHORSE
05-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Research HST workout. I have used this during the summers for 4 years and really made good gains. I travel a lot for Softball in the summer with my daughter.
takes some time but once you figure it out it really works well, at least for me.

djdrdave
05-15-2016, 02:43 PM
I went to a 5 days a week schedule before workin october last year. Finally i had to quit due to overall fatigue. I have been suffering from energy issues anyways and i think i need the days off in between for rest

Bigblue2275
03-14-2017, 08:42 PM
i stoped woring out for 8 months now i am doing 3 days a week full body workout will this do me any good

oijibuur
03-14-2017, 09:52 PM
i stoped woring out for 8 months now

'stoped' (in mining) excavate a series of steps or layers in (the ground or rock).

Is this a euphemism for resurrecting old threads?? ...amusing if so... but the thread is almost 10 months (not 8) so your math is off

i am doing 3 days a week full body workout will this do me any good

Most definitely an excellent approach for returning after a long layoff, yes it will do you good.

Purh
03-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Sat, Sun and Wednes....

I never do more than 3.

If you work out hard-core you need time to recover.

TnTNZ
03-15-2017, 12:10 AM
Working out 3 days a week is fine. Dredging up 5 year old threads? You should probably give yourself an uppercut.