PDA

View Full Version : Benching for reps

bigtallox
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm doing a (non strongman) competition that has a bench press for reps event, so I've started benching again. Until 3 weeks ago, I hadn't benched since I switched to strongman ( about a year and a half ). The event is like the nfl combine, 225 for max reps. Last night I got 20 pretty easy, which was a PR ( I've been adding 2 reps a week ). I think in a competition setting, I'd be good for 25 right now, I'm hoping for 30 by April at the competition. Anyway, here's the video from last night...

o0viSEBVqdY

induced_drag
01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Ox...congrats and awesome on progression in such a short time.

Looking at your form I might make one suggestion. Your benching style is more of a bodybuilding one then a powerlifting one. If you try right before lowering the weight, just a slight elbow tuck, you will change the track of your arms.

This generally allows for more power. On the bottom of the lift, with your arms in, they are actually resting against the lats. This helps get a great drive from the bottom and generate quite a bit of power. Lots of people dont know one of the keys to a strong bench is a strong back.

Anyway....just a slight switch in style may yield a lot more untapped power that you have. There is a great vid floating around where the guy goes over how to set up a good bench. It is also much better for the shoulders in the long-term. I'll see if I can dig it up.

bigtallox
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Looking at your form I might make one suggestion. Your benching style is more of a bodybuilding one then a powerlifting one. If you try right before lowering the weight, just a slight elbow tuck, you will change the track of your arms.

You're right, raw I don't tuck my elbows much like a powerlifter would. When I used to bench in a powerlifting shirt, tucking helped generate more power, but raw I seem to get the most power bringing the bar down higher. I'll have to play around with it.

induced_drag
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
You're right, raw I don't tuck my elbows much like a powerlifter would. When I used to bench in a powerlifting shirt, tucking helped generate more power, but raw I seem to get the most power bringing the bar down higher. I'll have to play around with it.

I know you have a very strong back.

I am not a real strong bencher, but I was forced to go back to square 1 in learning how to bench due to shoulder issues.

Play around with an empty bar or 135. As someone said in another thread, place a towel on a bench rolled up between your shoulder blades running with the bench. Get so you can pinch it with your shoulders and pick it up. In that position, rest back down. When you lower it, act as if you are trying to pull the bar apart. (this will activate your back). When you get it just right, you can feel just how much you can pull your back into the lift. Judging by your back, I think that would be an awesome asset.

Best of luck!

hammerfelt
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Looks like Strongman has built up your endurance rather well. Great job!

I would check rules, find out how wide they let your grip be, if you can lift your head off the bench, keeping butt on the bench, flat foot or on toes etc.

What does your training for this look like? Are you doing sets well above 225?

Getsum
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Very nice BTO, you made those look effortless man!

bigtallox
01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I would check rules, find out how wide they let your grip be, if you can lift your head off the bench, keeping butt on the bench, flat foot or on toes etc.

Grip can't be wider than competition grip. Butt has to stay down. They don't care about lifting the head, but doing so doesn't help me.

What does your training for this look like? Are you doing sets well above 225?

My last session went kind of like this...

Bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 10
225 x 20
275 x 9
275 x 9
315 x 3
225 x 10

Then tricep accessory work.

I've been debating how much volume should be above 225. At first I was thinking maybe not very much, but now I've changed my feelings about it, since the heavier sets makes the 225 feel light. Maybe it's just a mental thing, but I don't think so.

bustasinclair
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
My last session went kind of like this...

Bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 10
225 x 20
275 x 9
275 x 9
315 x 3
225 x 10

Then tricep accessory work.

I've been debating how much volume should be above 225. At first I was thinking maybe not very much, but now I've changed my feelings about it, since the heavier sets makes the 225 feel light. Maybe it's just a mental thing, but I don't think so.

This is absolutely true. I have been doing this lately and I'm hypothesizing treating this exactly like a PL ME lift. So I would ramp up like this:

bar x 20
135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 3
275 x 1
300 x 1
325 x 1

225 x 21 *that's what I got last time.

Many ways to skin a cat I guess.

One other thing you may want to try is to speed the tempo.

I imagine you'll be over 30 in no time. Great work!

induced_drag
01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
BTO...you need to clean out your pm box. Tried to send you this...but I will post it here.

BTO

I was thinking about your thread and I was wondering if you supplement Beta-alanine?

With your type of activity, it will surly help. It improves muscle endurance significantly. (more specifically at higher rep ranges)

Where as creatine boosts lower end performance, beta alanine does the higher end by increasing carosine concentrations in the muscle.

Lots of documented studies that show the benefits of it.

Takes about 3 weeks to reach saturation when taken daily. I supplement 3g daily broken up in am/pm doses. I just buy bulk powder from NOW. Pretty cheap stuff....and one of a handful of supps that actually work.

Given the types of extended endurance you draw upon in strong-man, this should be a staple in your supplements.

You may already take it....if not, just throwing it out there.

ID

flyineagle96
01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Very nice good form,i do the same at 210,at your weight it's not that impressive!!!

bigtallox
01-26-2012, 08:44 AM
at your weight it's not that impressive!!!

Yeah, I was waiting for that. But for my range of motion and 7 foot wingspan its good. Strength doesn't scale pound for pound, there's much more to it than that. There's only two guys in our group ( of about 20 ) that can beat me ( an it's my weakest lift ), and most of them are 20 years younger.

bigtallox
01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I was thinking about your thread and I was wondering if you supplement Beta-alanine?

No, I'll look into it.

billb7581
01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
< cant bench 225 once LOL.

tsoden
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM

don't feel bad....neither can I.

MontyMagpie
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I was waiting for that. But for my range of motion and 7 foot wingspan its good. Strength doesn't scale pound for pound, there's much more to it than that. There's only two guys in our group ( of about 20 ) that can beat me ( an it's my weakest lift ), and most of them are 20 years younger.

That's a very good point. Longer arms means you are lifting the weight through a larger distance which means you are doing more work.

Very good achievement despite 1.5 years not doing benching.

GnomusMaximus
01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Cool, neat idea for an event. They should use a log though, that would be even more fun.

induced_drag
01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Very nice good form,i do the same at 210,at your weight it's not that impressive!!!

I want to thank you.... reading your comment now makes me realize what an a@@hole I must have sounded like when I made a similar one to Ox not long ago.

I want to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to Ox as I did not mean it as a personal attack, but I see now just how bad it probably looked. I for one am impressed with BTO's drive to improve himself, REGARDLESS of the weight.

Thankyou again to flyineagle96, your douchebaggery was the perfect mirror for me to reflect upon.

Sorry Ox...and MAJOR strongman props!

mslman71
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
This might sound bizarre but I always had my best high rep 225s after a quick pyramid to 315 or so. 315 in my case being ballpark 80-90% 1RM. For example, I would've gone:

135x whatever
225x10
275x6
315x2 -- break for a little more than average time
225 for reps.

This invariably gave me better results than simply warming up at 225 and then trying to bang out a high rep set.

edit: I also did a lot of high volume high rep triceps work. I'd like to think this helped but not sure.

Getsum
01-26-2012, 12:37 PM

It is impressive and I always enjoy watching the bench reps at the combine. There's some big dudes, small dudes, all kinds of people repping out 225.

Good job again man.

sok454
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
I wondered when someone was going to make a comment about not being impressed. Go figure. BTO form was about as perfect as I've ever seen and he didn't even start to falter at 20 reps. I don't think many people can say that no matter if they are 5'8 or 6'8. Damn Impressive to me... especially when he hasn't trained it for 18 months.

flyineagle96
01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I want to thank you.... reading your comment now makes me realize what an a@@hole I must have sounded like when I made a similar one to Ox not long ago.

I want to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to Ox as I did not mean it as a personal attack, but I see now just how bad it probably looked. I for one am impressed with BTO's drive to improve himself, REGARDLESS of the weight.

Thankyou again to flyineagle96, your douchebaggery was the perfect mirror for me to reflect upon.

Sorry Ox...and MAJOR strongman props!I phrased it wrong it was impressive but beaning you i thought more,I'm just a little guy,i wasn't trying a be an *******!!!

Jtbny
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I phrased it wrong it was impressive but beaning you i thought more,I'm just a little guy,i wasn't trying a be an *******!!!

You are not little (210 pounds isn't a little guy) and you mentioned you can bang out 225 20 times? I'd like to see your video.

Brackneyc
01-26-2012, 06:31 PM

As soon as you post a video, this^^ post will mean something.

Brackneyc
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
You are not little (210 pounds isn't a little guy) and you mentioned you can bang out 225 20 times? I'd like to see your video.

Let's all hold our breath for it....

tunagoat
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM

don't feel bad....neither can I.

^^^ +1 :(

Thats a lot of reps.. With a huge ROM

David Wiggins
01-27-2012, 05:47 AM

Sorry Ox...and MAJOR strongman props!

ID, very classy response. Not that it matters, but you have earned my respect. It takes quite a big man to reflect upon himself.

I'd rep you, if I knew how... LOL!

Oh yeah, flyingeagle96, as one of my neighbors says, "don't be a derk". (speach impedement)...

muttytwist
01-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Very impressive BTO. As someone mentoined, a faster tempo may help. I would have a hard time even doing 225 at that pace, faster makes it easier when going for reps(IMHO).

David Wiggins
01-27-2012, 06:10 AM
I know you are just starting back. Nice!

Suggestions:
your form is almost too clean. You look good and tight, but too much of the BB style. Try to get more lat support.

More speed- You should find out somewhere in the reps that the weight won't be as much the issue, as pain from lactic acid build up. From what I've seen and learned, there is only a certain amount of time (usually 50-60 seconds) before the body wants to lock down. You can hold the weight, but you it just won't budge. Your reps will need to be within 60 seconds.

Weight- I helped a buddy get ready for the NFL combine a few years ago. We went through an 8 week program that started with 30 reps @ 205lbs. We added 5-10 lbs. weekly until we missed the 30 reps. We would stay at that weight until we got 30. He ended up @ 265 for about 28 reps. I think (memory issue) he did close to 40 reps @ combine.
He was an O lineman with long arms, and was not a naturally good bencher.

I have not seen where high reps over 300 lbs. significantly change 225 for reps.

tmonkey
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
nice full rom on those

nice to see you do some other stuff then the strongman as well -- it can only help overall

tmonkey
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
BTO...you need to clean out your pm box. Tried to send you this...but I will post it here.

BTO

With your type of activity, it will surly help. It improves muscle endurance significantly. (more specifically at higher rep ranges)

Where as creatine boosts lower end performance, beta alanine does the higher end by increasing carosine concentrations in the muscle.

Lots of documented studies that show the benefits of it.

Takes about 3 weeks to reach saturation when taken daily. I supplement 3g daily broken up in am/pm doses. I just buy bulk powder from NOW. Pretty cheap stuff....and one of a handful of supps that actually work.

Given the types of extended endurance you draw upon in strong-man, this should be a staple in your supplements.

You may already take it....if not, just throwing it out there.

ID

there are also studies that claim beta alanine works synergistically with creatine

almost negged

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

As soon as you post a video, this^^ post will mean something.

In for vid.

BrotherWolf
01-27-2012, 11:24 AM

in my opinion if your goal is to rep 225 then I would not lift heavier than 225-245 and do as many as you can minimizing the warmup sets.. you are trying to build endurance not strength
just think about those guys and girls doing 100 crunches or 100 pull-ups they are not strong they do not lift more than body weight but they have great endurance.

Good luck at the comp..

awesome video

bustasinclair
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
225 x 21 *that's what I got last time.

Many ways to skin a cat I guess.

One other thing you may want to try is to speed the tempo.

I imagine you'll be over 30 in no time. Great work!

Guess I needed to put my money where my mouth is too. I tried for a PR today, but failed :(

Went like this:

bar x 30
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 2
300 x 2
315 x 1

225 x 21

aMAxpWd9ewA

Brackneyc
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Guess I needed to put my money where my mouth is too. I tried for a PR today, but failed :(

Went like this:

bar x 30
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 2
300 x 2
315 x 1

225 x 21

aMAxpWd9ewA

The thing here is, you aren't human. I mean this in the most respectful way. :)

2nd_chance
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Nice job BTO....... what's up with the Christmas tree? :D

2nd_chance
01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Very nice good form,i do the same at 210,at your weight it's not that impressive!!!Based on your avi pic, I'm highly skeptical of your claim.

bigtallox
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Nice job BTO.......

Thanks.

what's up with the Christmas tree? :D

My strongman buddy is a hoarder, lol.

tmonkey
01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks.

My strongman buddy is a hoarder, lol.

you guys need to smash that **** up in a strongman rage

more room to workout

induced_drag
01-27-2012, 04:46 PM
you guys need to smash that **** up in a strongman rage

more room to workout

In for vid of the Christmas tree javelin toss competition!....:)

Getsum
01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Went like this:

bar x 30
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 2
300 x 2
315 x 1

225 x 21

aMAxpWd9ewA

Excellent work man!

flyineagle96
01-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Based on your avi pic, I'm highly skeptical of your claim. I workout in my cellar with my son he is 23 years old and we both bench 225 for 20 i will say after 16 i have a little arch and about dead at 20,but he does them like the vid,I'm not that far away as for the vid i keep to me don't care what you think if we ever meet maybe I'll show you then!!!

MontyMagpie
01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
For endurance consume beetroot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8186947.stm

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 05:17 PM
225 x 21

GJ Matt

Still running circles around me.

Repped for teh free motivationZ

Jtbny
01-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I workout in my cellar with my son he is 23 years old and we both bench 225 for 20 i will say after 16 i have a little arch and about dead at 20,but he does them like the vid,I'm not that far away as for the vid i keep to me don't care what you think if we ever meet maybe I'll show you then!!!

The thing is, you can't come in and crap on someone else's thread ecspecially when they have a fuken video and then say this ****. Well, I guess you CAN come in and say this stuff, but it won't win you any fans or give you any credibility.

-=FLEX=-
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I workout in my cellar with my son he is 23 years old and we both bench 225 for 20

Well then ya got someone to hold the camera, right?

MontyMagpie
01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Amazing how they both synchronise their reps like that.

chodan9
01-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I am not sure modifying form for power would be the best bet when trying to achieve higher reps.
but what do I know, I can barely crank out 3 reps of 225 at my current body weight and diet.

bustasinclair
01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
The thing here is, you aren't human. I mean this in the most respectful way. :)

Funny Craig......2nd chance is the non-human

Excellent work man!

Thanks bro; on spread as usual

GJ Matt

Still running circles around me.

Repped for teh free motivationZ

Thanks Jim, your squatting keeps me motivated too. I want a 500 squat by 12/31/2012 so bad

The thing is, you can't come in and crap on someone else's thread ecspecially when they have a fuken video and then say this ****. Well, I guess you CAN come in and say this stuff, but it won't win you any fans or give you any credibility.

Word!

Well then ya got someone to hold the camera, right?

^^This

Brackneyc
01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Funny Craig......2nd chance is the non-human

It is true that he is a cyborg (model t-1000 I think). :)